PDA

View Full Version : Which bike? DRZ400-KLX400-WR450

Mystic13
13th October 2008, 19:54
I'm looking to upgrade the 250, wwell actually sell it and buy either a

Suzuki DRZ400E (2003-2006)
Yamaha WR450 (same vintage)
Kawasaki KLX 400 (same vintage) and apparently this is a DRZ400E....

I did the 42nd after a long days gravel riding the other week. We started it at 3.30pm from Owhango with intermittant rain and had a blast.

I intend to go back with a map and spend the day in there. Willie at the Owhango Hotel is a top bloke with a garage....

Anyway, when we got off the gravel and on to seal the odd time I'm limited to 109kmph or 118kmph, downhill, with a tail wind and tucked on the tank.

So I've decided to upgrade to a better dual sport bike. I want light, reliable, light, reliable, robust etc.

It seems all the above bikes in the road version will meet my needs. Ahhmm... no I don't want a 650. Nice bikes etc just another 30+kg's heavier, or 70kg's for the KLR650 (and that's a whole big pillion heavier).

So what do you all (with knowledge of these bikes) recommend. I'm wanting to have it as a ride there, ride off road and ride home bike. I want good service intervals and an all round fun bike that is going to be reliable.

I loved the day riding gravel from Raglan through to South of Taumaranui and then back to the 42nd. I'm going back and need a new bike to do it with.

Thanks.

Waihou Thumper
13th October 2008, 20:10
:Oi: Hi.
My two cents worth.
Out of the three of them, using the world wide web. I would go for the DRZ400.
The only reason is this.
You can add bits and pieces to it and the fuel tanks can be bought to make it a long distance bike.
Have you also considered the KTM450exc or 525exc?
KTM also do larger fuel tanks etc and have raod gear as standard and are very road capable too.
With the Suzuki, you do get a more road orientated machine though. At the end of the day, do you want to take the gear off and hit the trails or spend the day riding the 42 Traverse and then cruise at 120kph home?
Me thinks the latter...
I went through all of this when I went to a new bike. I ended up with the KTM640 Adventure and then the Husaberg 450 which is very road and off road capable.

bart
13th October 2008, 20:24
Depends on how much coin you have. Hard to beat the DRZ400 value for money. Mine gets a thrashing, and has never missed a beat. Yellow is certainly not my favorite colour though, and will probably go orange soon.

Ocean1
13th October 2008, 20:27
Suzuki DRZ400E ain't road legal.

Yamaha WR450 is more performance oriented, beutiful bike, fun if you're well experienced, but...

Kawasaki KLX400R is, as you say, the same bike as the DRZ. Off the same production line in fact. Has a couple of extras but the bare minimum to make it road legal. Mine was a blast, excellent compromise between performance and reliability. Oh, and they're snot green. :clap:

Ride 'em all if you get a chance, then decide.

buggsubique
13th October 2008, 20:31
depends what DR-Z you get as to whether rd legal...tool bag on rear fender is a giveaway.

CRM
13th October 2008, 20:34
Had a DRZ400 but I've just gone to an XR600. Actually feels similar weight (only about 5kg heavier by the specs) and to me apart from the kick start (which is actually really easy when you get the trick) it's a superior bike in every way (IMHO!) If you can pick one up and do a bit of work on it (they stopped making them in 1999) you'll have a great bike - I'm tri-sporting mine. It's got road gearing at present for commuting, cruises at 120-130!! :Police: Then getting some spare wheels for dirt riding then a big tank and a rack for adventure riding.Not too many bikes are capable of that and do it all with flair and grin:banana:

bart
13th October 2008, 20:41
[QUOTE=Ocean1;1767964]Suzuki DRZ400E ain't road legal. QUOTE]

Ummmm. Some full noise jobbies were brought out as demos. Road kitted for resale reasons.

cave weta
13th October 2008, 20:51
Me thinks you would be real happy on my 2003 DRZ400e !!:banana::banana:
its fully road legal and comes with two sets of tyres. all the road stuff is in a box and has been since new. its hardly marked- done just over 10,000km and has a Procircuit performance pipe. the std one is wrapped in bubblewrap it does 165kmh
starts everytime and has been kind to me but I want a 250- lets do a deal!

photos of it on my website in the gallery and in the rental bike section ......

merv
13th October 2008, 20:55
If only they had made the XR650R with electric start because then I might have liked to have one of the kings of Baja as they only weigh about the same as my XR250L.

Now that would be a good bike if you can find one and don't mind kicking it into life like CRM does with his 600.

Mystic13
13th October 2008, 20:57
:Oi: Hi.
My two cents worth.
I would go for the DRZ400.

Have you also considered the KTM450exc or 525exc?

I went through all of this when I went to a new bike. I ended up with the KTM640 Adventure and then the Husaberg 450 which is very road and off road capable.

Thanks - I was trying to narrow options down not add more. there is also the Gas Gas Pampera 450 with the fieldays special that is new $7,995. I didn't want to spend that much but you then start justifying new against a few years old. I also can't find anyone who can tell me about the Gas Gas.

So, KTM.... are the ones that are around the same price as the DRZ as reliable as the DRZ?

I'm new to off road riding and a long time road rider. I can't believe I didn't do this stuff sooner. It's just so much fun.

Someone mentioned the WR450 being great for a talented person. SO I can see a talented rider would get more out of it. Is it still a able to do the job for me.

And yes, riding these all day is not a problem doing the off road then 120k's home is fine. That's why i'm looking for a robust reliable donkey more or less with a bit of go, light etc. I expect to have the bike for a while but if I decide to move it on I'd like something that the masses want. Waiting for parts for an odd bike or struggling to find buyers is not a preferred option.

I am buying now though.

Thanks.

Mystic13
13th October 2008, 21:01
Had a DRZ400 but I've just gone to an XR600. Actually feels similar weight (only about 5kg heavier by the specs) and to me apart from the kick start (which is actually really easy when you get the trick) it's a superior bike in every way (IMHO!) If you can pick one up and do a bit of work on it (they stopped making them in 1999) you'll have a great bike - I'm tri-sporting mine. It's got road gearing at present for commuting, cruises at 120-130!! :Police: Then getting some spare wheels for dirt riding then a big tank and a rack for adventure riding.Not too many bikes are capable of that and do it all with flair and grin:banana:

Thanks but electric start is me. I know what it's like when your kitted up and have trouble starting and you're kicking that thing till you're about to pass out. I get enough of a workout riding without having kicking problems.

Thanks though.

young1
13th October 2008, 21:02
DRZ / KLX 400

Proven to be able to go a long way on the tarseal.

WR450 nice bike if you were mainly off road

Mystic13
13th October 2008, 21:06
Thanks for all the comments.... and please feel free to ad more. I'm still in the sub 500 bracket although I hadn't planned on considering KTM.

So how reliable are the KTM's compared to the Suzuki/Kwaka and Yamaha etc

Caveweta I'll take a look at the bike on your site because the 250 will be going and a swap saves a lot of time.

Cheers

cave weta
13th October 2008, 21:24
Ive got 525 exc Sixdays too- but its a bit of a thoughobred for cruising on the road- shreds a rear tyre in a day without trying!- that too is for sale and is road legal- I would like $9000 for it.

Mystic13
13th October 2008, 21:55
Ive got 525 exc Sixdays too- but its a bit of a thoughobred for cruising on the road- shreds a rear tyre in a day without trying!- that too is for sale and is road legal- I would like $9000 for it.

The 525 is too expensive for me I want to be around the 5-6 mark and preferably nearer the 5.

clint640
14th October 2008, 03:43
There's a few guys on here with WR450's. They don't bring them on Adv rides. There are also a few guys with DRZ400's. They do bring them on Adv rides. :done:

Cheers
Clint

scorry
14th October 2008, 06:34
I would go for the WR if you do any serious off roading, only cos its got a kick start and electric start.
if you drown them in water and the magic button doesnt work, the kick start is always there.
i am a bit biased tho, having never owned a drz or klx.
i have ridden a klx450 which went pretty good, had both starts too
if you drown them in water and the magic button doesnt work, the kick start is always there.

CrazyFrog
14th October 2008, 08:18
As far as bang for your buck goes, you can't really go past a DRZ400. There's plenty of them on Tardme for under $5000, just look for one with lowish use and any extra's offered. I recently bought one for $3500, with all road bits, and Pro Circuit exhaust, real low km's. The motor is crisp and bearings are all sweet. After 800km riding on the trip back south, my arse was suffering, a gel seat would be a good investment. Also, if using on the road a lot, consider changing the sprockets to 15/44 for longer legs over 100 kmph, as the standard 14/47 seems fairly low geared, better for dirt use.
By all accounts, the WR's are way better offroad (mainly suspension and general set up), I can imagine they'd be torture racks on longer road trips like the DRZ. Have fun shopping!

Mystic13
14th October 2008, 09:10
Thanks guys, I'm torn between the two and can get botjh of them at a reasonable price.

I known what you mean about the DRZ. You see plenty of them for sale and set up as adventure bikes. Ihaven't seen one 450 set up as an adventure bike. The DRZ does have the lower entry point and often you can get those extra's that you'd buy.

It sounds like they're both reliable. So no comments on the KTM thrown up earlier on. Sounds like Suzuki may be the go.

I'll start looking and keep checking in here.

Thanks.

MXNUT
14th October 2008, 09:13
Everything that has been said about the DRZ400 in this thread so far is correct, the only thing i would add is that the WR450 is a higher performance motor and is not made to do a lot of kms.It will require a lot more maintenance and will not last as long.

DRZ400 = better adventure bike
WR450 = better trail bike

The seat is crap on both of them

Mystic13
14th October 2008, 09:20
Thanks Motoxnut. So the Yamaha is off the lsit then.

I'm fine with the seats. Not the most comfortable but I can handle it for the day.

Any thoughts on the KTM and other brands. It sounds like the Suzuki is what I'm after. Other than the KTM I see someone with a Husaberg in antoher thread. I guess I want something I know I can get bits for easily.

Cheers

MXNUT
14th October 2008, 09:32
Any thoughts on the KTM and other brands.

The only KTM that would be suitable is the 640,and this would be outside your price range, same with the Husky 610.

DRZ/KLX 400 is the best bet for the $

warewolf
14th October 2008, 11:59
So the Yamaha is off the lsit then.
Any thoughts on the KTM and other brands. It sounds like the Suzuki is what I'm after. Other than the KTM I see someone with a Husaberg in antoher thread. I guess I want something I know I can get bits for easily.Expanding on what motoxnut said, the KTMs are more performance-oriented than the Yamaha, except for the LC4 series which is more laid back (for KTM, but still a performer). You can pick them up around the $5K mark occasionally. Reliability is fine, the LC4s are trail bikes with a very long model run rather than enduro weapons, much like the DR/DR-Z is... but are at the high end of that group. There are some LC4 400s around, the 640 was not the only size available but by far the most common.

Husaberg is now owned by KTM and they have started making some of the ancilliaries common. It is considered a development platform/boutique brand by KTM. I wouldn't expect parts to be a problem, given they are a fairly long-standing Euro brand. They are right up there in the high-end performance and quirkiness for an mx/enduro bike.

If you are dismissing the Yamaha for being too highly-strung, then you shouldn't be considering any of the Euro bikes that are even more highly-strung.

marks
14th October 2008, 13:32
There's a few guys on here with WR450's. They don't bring them on Adv rides.

the novelty of anal bleeding wears off quickly

YAMASAKI
14th October 2008, 16:20
I've got a KTM 520 exc and I've got to agree with whats been said already... they are a great bike but not really that good for adventure riding, the recommended service intervals(oil, filters, valve clearances) would be crippling. but they are a shite load of fun for trail and motard use.
my vote would go to the DRZ, closely followed by the WR, or if you've got the cash the (slightly less highly strung) KTM LC4.

Tony W
14th October 2008, 16:29
The DR-Z400: Very reliable; 32,000 km, oil & filter changes every 6000km,
1 set front pads, 2 chains, 1 set sprockets, tyres. That's it.
They tell me I should get a new sparkplug !
Economy: 26 km per litre.
Seat: Sweet as, I've done 800km in 13 hours.
Speed: 171 km/h 'indicated', wind assisted !!!:eek::Police:
Big tank: US$ 195
It's hard to go wrong...

Crisis management
14th October 2008, 17:58
the novelty of anal bleeding wears off quickly

You going to try and blame that on the WR again??????

HTFU.

Ruralman
16th October 2008, 21:43
I agree with the comments about the DRZ/KLX and the comments about service intervals and length of time between top end rebuilds (longevity) for the WR and the KTM's (excepting the LC4)
The one other bike you should also consider is a road legal Honda XR400 - there are a few around and there was one on T'me recently and its probably in your price range.
The one plus of the Hinda over the DRZ is as a trail bike - especially in the tight stuff. The DRZ is both tall and also quite top heavy and they can feel like a fat pig when you get things wrong in a tight spot. The Honda isn't water cooled and its maybe the lack of all the radiator stuff that means it feels lighter. I'm not sure whether these road legal XR400's have electric start

There was a comment about XR650's earlier - occasionally there is an XR650L model on Trademe or elsewhere (around 1998) - these are electric start and usually sell pretty reasonably. I have sat on one of these and laid it down on both sides to see how heavy it felt and I was amazed how light it felt - the DRZ would have been more of an effort to do that with

good luck
Bruce

marks
17th October 2008, 07:00
You going to try and blame that on the WR again??????

I was trying to protect your reputation

CRM
17th October 2008, 07:59
The one other bike you should also consider is a road legal Honda XR400 - there are a few around and there was one on T'me recently and its probably in your price range.
The one plus of the Hinda over the DRZ is as a trail bike - especially in the tight stuff. The DRZ is both tall and also quite top heavy and they can feel like a fat pig when you get things wrong in a tight spot. The Honda isn't water cooled and its maybe the lack of all the radiator stuff that means it feels lighter. I'm not sure whether these road legal XR400's have electric start

There was a comment about XR650's earlier - occasionally there is an XR650L model on Trademe or elsewhere (around 1998) - these are electric start and usually sell pretty reasonably. I have sat on one of these and laid it down on both sides to see how heavy it felt and I was amazed how light it felt - the DRZ would have been more of an effort to do that with

good luck
Bruce

Yes totally agree - They say XR's are old technology but you can't go past them for rideability and reliability - only issue is kick start. (the only XR400 I've seen with E Start is a motard import at our local Honda dealer - they want about $9k for it but it's a cool bike).

I had a DRZ and have ridden an XR400 and was keen on that until an XR600 came up. Just find an XR400, 600 or 650 and have a go - masses of parts available and easy to work on plus more comfortable than DRZ.;)

426crasher
17th October 2008, 12:35
I run a WR426 which is road legal and i do adventure ride it. It's been rock solid for reliability and it's now past the 10000km mark. Having said that i would steer you towards the DRz400 because i think it would be the best bike for you at the present. As you are newish to the off road world the WR and KTM enduro bikes could well be a bit of a handfull which could easily take the gloss of your riding experiences. The oil change intervals are more regular and you do need to keep a check on things more frequently too. Without sounding too biased i think the WR range to be the most reliable of the pukka enduro bikes but the less highly strung DRz motor will handle your road riding better. Another bonus with the DRz is that you should be able to pick up a newer and less travelled one for your dollars than the enduro range. Test ride as many as you can first to compare but i recon you will end up yellow.
Cheers Tony.

Tony W
17th October 2008, 18:08
Yes totally agree - They say XR's are old technology but you can't go past them for rideability and reliability - only issue is kick start. (the only XR400 I've seen with E Start is a motard import at our local Honda dealer - they want about $9k for it but it's a cool bike).

I had a DRZ and have ridden an XR400 and was keen on that until an XR600 came up. Just find an XR400, 600 or 650 and have a go - masses of parts available and easy to work on plus more comfortable than DRZ.;)

Kick, kick, kick, kick......it's 2008...:nono:

Ruralman
17th October 2008, 18:58

Learn to do it right and it aint a problem

Further to that weight issue I raised - I remember now that the DRZ feels top heavy but not as much because of the radiator but because the motor sits very upright compared to the XR400 which is angled forward and helps lower the C of G (and it does make a big difference)

Tony W
17th October 2008, 19:28
[QUOTE=Ruralman;1773069]Learn to do it right and it aint a problem

...I like to do it right . . . . . . . with my thumb !

...I'm over 50 and not " masokickstic " . . :laugh:

It's a shame Honda doesn't have ES on a lot of its trail bikes.
Does anyone know why ?

Tony W
17th October 2008, 19:43
[QUOTE=Mystic13;1767905]I'm looking to upgrade the 250, wwell actually sell it and buy either a

Suzuki DRZ400E (2003-2006)
Yamaha WR450 (same vintage)
Kawasaki KLX 400 (same vintage) and apparently this is a DRZ400E...

I see there is a KLX400R on Trade me. 2003, 4700km, $3500 - $4000.
Sounds like a bargain.

warewolf
17th October 2008, 22:51
It's a shame Honda doesn't have ES on a lot of its trail bikes.
Does anyone know why ?Yes, and no.

I thought it particularly unusual of Honda, given it has road variants of the same engines carrying e-starts. eg my first bike was a 1986 Honda CBX250 which was an e-start XR250 engine in a road chassis. So it's not like they'd have to develop new cases & starter ancillaries to make it happen. Plus there are the XR250-derivative JDM adventure bikes badged as "Baja" which are also e-start. Ditto XR400 variants.

Obviously the marketing goobs reckon there's no money in it. The NX650 Dominator is e-start (it's a very similar style of bike to the Bajas) but the XR600 never was, and the new-generation XR650R isn't - no parallels there, the XR650L is more like the Domi than the R.

As Ruralman says, kick-start isn't a problem if you bother to learn how, although it is unfashionable. The button is often faster (surprisingly not for dead-engine cross-country starts, where you can prime the bike beforehand) and its sustained cranking can be useful when starting is marginal such as when the bike is sick, either permanently or because you just fell off and flooded it.

cynna
18th October 2008, 02:15
whats the equivilant of an xr650 or tt600 these days?

CRM
18th October 2008, 07:04

The first time out in the dirt on my DRZ the fuse blew so it was push, push, push the rest of the day - wished I had an old fashioned kick starter.:angry2:

CRM
18th October 2008, 07:31

The design philosophy has changed and bikes are way more specialised, plus maybe the emissions rules mean that modern bikes need to be more complex. So you either get a couple of bikes or find an XR or TT and bling it up. I couldn't find any modern equivalent that was reliable/durable/decent on the road/ fun in the dirt except maybe the new WR250 super trail but they are costly and they are only a 250. Hopefully there'll be more of this type of bike coming out. The DRZ400 I guess is the only bike for the masses at present...:bye:

NordieBoy
18th October 2008, 07:53

Let me guess that it's an XR650R or TTR600.

bart
18th October 2008, 08:37
E-start has saved my ass many times. Wouldn't even consider going back to a kick start...............

absolutly nothing to do with the fact I can't touch the ground.;)

buggsubique
18th October 2008, 10:24
I wouldn't mind a kicker as well as the button. Been very lucky a couple of times with the battery dying on me, or a wet carb. In fact I usually carry a bike sized set of jumpers if I'm going way out back.

One guy drowned his bike and sucked the water right through the carb before he knew what he'd done. He ran the battery flat so we swapped mine into his bike while my bike idled and put a bit of charge into his... f*cken ordeal, but it saved him walking 20 k's.

marks
18th October 2008, 16:21
I wouldn't mind a kicker as well as the button.
every now and then the wr doesn't want to fire with the button - a good boot is all it normally needs - don't ask me why. would most probably grind the battery to nothing and be stuck without the kick starter. wish the klr had one as it has the odd hissy fit as well -cant bump start either as they are auto clutches.

NordieBoy
18th October 2008, 16:41
cant bump start either as they are auto clutches.

The things you put up with eh?

Ruralman
18th October 2008, 21:02
Take a look at this one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-182998292.htm

Theres also a KLX650 on there at the moment which would be a pretty good dirt capable machine as well as holding its own on the road

Mystic13
20th October 2008, 13:27
Thanks for the info. I got a little distracted late last week getting my bike ready for my first Rusty Nuts - Grand Challenge. The best fun I've had in a long time. I'll wander over to trademe and get this bike thing sorted. I may juist have to wait a couple of days before I go riding bikes. As you lot have suggested I'll do a couple of test rides and then go buy the thing.

Cheers

Mystic13
6th November 2008, 19:11
Thanks for all your posts. I'm now the proud owner of a yellow DRZ 400E. Now I need to go over it, figure out what's where and then start tinkering. I like getting a new to me bike.

buggsubique
7th November 2008, 05:49
a fine choice sir.

Tony W
7th November 2008, 17:13
:niceone:Yep, second that ! :niceone:

...post some pics when you're ready....? :yes:

Alpha Solo
8th November 2008, 08:18
Great bikes, - I third that!!!

MXNUT
8th November 2008, 08:34
O okay , 4th that :whocares:

MXNUT
8th November 2008, 08:45
a fine choice sir.

Buggs - Bike not sold ( must be an omen ), why not keep the DRZ add a long range fuel tank and gear it up a bit ( that will stop you hooning so much ) and you have the perfect :argue: ( light weight ) adventure bike that could be converted back into a hoon bike very quickly if required.
:whocares: Who cares about the seat , I have got used to mine now and can do 5 - 600 kms in a day if i want to. :blank:

buggsubique
8th November 2008, 15:13
Yeah am thinking that...those exact thoughts actually. I have geared it up to 15/44 which is about as high as I want to go and still have a semi off-roadable 1st gear. Fuel tank is the big let down at the moment...about 160km on fumes at best. Sits on the road nicely at a little over half wrist.

Will suit the adv riding I like too which is finding those nooks and crannies and seeing where they go rather than being hamstrung by a heavier bike. Need to sort out some luggage too - just a decent rack. I can tie sh*t to would do it. That said, you're right on the "light" adv riding statement. Wouldn't want any less grunt once you put a bit of weight on and up the gearing.

Will keep it listed though, might explore the DR650 if it sells, but focussing now on enjoying the ride rather than riding to enjoy. Just had such a good ride last weekend taking it all in rather than "trying to get somewhere". Just a wee attitude adjustment!

buggsubique
8th November 2008, 15:19
Thanks for all your posts. I'm now the proud owner of a yellow DRZ 400E. Now I need to go over it, figure out what's where and then start tinkering. I like getting a new to me bike.

Make sure you disconnect all the Darwin switches - esp the stand switch. Neut switch also to help with uphill stalls. Have a look at the Thumper Talk website - there is a forum dedicated to the DRZ 400. Mostly :tugger: posers with SM's (nothing against SMs!) and whole handbags full of bling stuck to their bikes, but some very good info on there for mechanicals and maint. Enjoy!