PDA

View Full Version : Computer anti-virus question

Robbo
14th October 2008, 09:33
I suspect that i may have a keylogger that has arrived un-invited into my computer. Can anyone recommend a good download programme to find and remove this.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Cajun
14th October 2008, 09:34
avast, avg both free antivirus (get one)

next get a spyware program, spybot, aware both good, get both do full scans.

MotoGirl
14th October 2008, 11:04
next get a spyware program, spybot, aware both good, get both do full scans.

I presume you mean ad aware.

Krayy
14th October 2008, 11:37
Also grab a copy of WinPatrol to see whats running and control startup programs

Naki Rat
14th October 2008, 11:55
Download and run both Adaware (Lavasoft) and Spybot. They are both free and what one doesn't find the other will. And of course run a good antivirus like ESET NOD 32 :yes:

There's very few nasties that will get past that lot!

scracha
14th October 2008, 12:10
avg is utter shite but better than nothing.

Nothing is 100% effective so ensure you're Backing up [imaging software like dixml [free], acronis or vista business/ultimate built in backup is best]

Try the free housecall scan at www.trend.com

SPman
14th October 2008, 13:37
Avira antivir is a good freeby - better than AVG - I've used it for 4-5 yrs and bugger all gets through!

Robbo
14th October 2008, 16:48
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I am currently running AVG 8.0 and have tried Spybot in the past. Both are quite good at dealing with Adware and Spyware but to address the suspected Keylogger i need something that goes deeper and is more thorough in it's scanning. I have tried to Google for something but that just gets too confusing so it would be great to talk to someone who may have had the same issues and just how they addressed it.
Cheers

Phurrball
14th October 2008, 16:51
My Powerbook laughs at interweb malware.

jrandom
14th October 2008, 16:53
You think someone's logging your keystrokes?

I presume you've checked the back of the computer where the keyboard plugs in...

Indiana_Jones
14th October 2008, 17:00
AVG

Got rid of a virus on my old machine for me :niceone:

-Indy

phaedrus
14th October 2008, 19:10
I suspect that i may have a keylogger that has arrived un-invited into my computer. Can anyone recommend a good download programme to find and remove this.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

if you suspect you have a keylogger. Format and start again. Nuking from orbit is the only way to be sure.

blairh
14th October 2008, 19:14
Honestly forget every other program out there. Nothing comes close to NOD32. You can download a free trial here - http://www.eset.com/download/free_trial_download_int.php

Delphinus (a kb member) actually sold me a copy from his online store at http://www.delphinus.co.nz/nod32-antivirus-antispyware/ and it's stopped tonnes of viruses. I had AVG on my computer before installing NOD32 - when I installed it, it found 5-6 viruses that AVG was missing...

Uses hardly any processing power / resources, picks up everything, doesn't make you reboot at all.. I can't recommend it more =)

Winston001
14th October 2008, 19:31
Yes Nod32 is the business.

However what you probably have is malware, not a virus. Keyloggers are bad - are you using a firewall? Windows Firewall doesn't nescessarily stop stuff getting out which is what a keylogger will want to do.

Personally I think you should go to PressF1 and ask there http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?f=4

davereid
14th October 2008, 19:31
If you are sure you have a software keylogger - as opposed to a hardware one, you can use a number of programs to see what software is loading, and running on your PC.

X-RayPC is a free application that will tell you what is running, and it is easy to use.

Google any "dodgy" applications before you delete them !

http://www.x-raypc.com/download.php

Delerium
14th October 2008, 22:08
Try advanced windowscare v2. We use to use that, avg, spybot, and adaware on all foreign jobs when I was in the IT section of my air force unit. They are all free and do a reasonable job. Some of the software you pay for is better but these are the best of the free ones.

scracha
15th October 2008, 07:48
. Nothing comes close to NOD32.
=)

Umm, I sell it too but recently have found Trend fixes a number of malware that nod32 can only detect [can't seem to remove them].

It's a bloody good product tho and uses waaaay less processing power than the others.

Winston001
15th October 2008, 07:48
Try advanced windowscare v2. We use to use that, avg, spybot, and adaware on all foreign jobs when I was in the IT section of my air force unit. They are all free and do a reasonable job. Some of the software you pay for is better but these are the best of the free ones.

Agreed, I use all of the above. Advanced WindowsCare 2 is surprisingly good to clean your registry and junk files. CC Cleaner also recommended.

Please let us know if you find a keylogger - nasty things. If necessary you might want to run Hijackthis and post the log of processes for others to look at.

Robbo
16th October 2008, 08:21
Once again, Thank You all for your replies and suggestions. They have been a big help and i am going to try Trend and Nod32.
I will let you know if i am able to find and remove the suspected problem.
Cheers

Pixie
16th October 2008, 19:04
Free COMODO stuff:

http://www.comodo.com/products/free_products.htm

Conquiztador
16th October 2008, 21:00
I have for years used the free avast! and ZoneAlarm and have never had a problem.

YellowDog
16th October 2008, 21:38
avg is utter shite but better than nothing.

Nothing is 100% effective so ensure you're Backing up [imaging software like dixml [free], acronis or vista business/ultimate built in backup is best]

Try the free housecall scan at www.trend.com
Yes, Trend HouseCall is the only free one that will sort you our properly:
http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/

Brian d marge
17th October 2008, 02:53
Dont want to turn this into an us and them ,,,but is there any reason why you need to run windows?

Scanner ? printer ? or thats what I am used to ...

there are lots of operating systems out there and really dont attract the attention that windows does,

I need to use windows. but I run it as a Virtual machine and any data I need to keep, such as a customer file , i keep on a linux machine ,, and if I get a virus ,,well it doesnt matter I just delete the virtual machine ,,and an exe cant run on a linux machine

I feel your pain there ..good luck

Stephen

sinfull
17th October 2008, 07:07
Once again, Thank You all for your replies and suggestions. They have been a big help and i am going to try Trend and Nod32.
I will let you know if i am able to find and remove the suspected problem.
Cheers

Hey ya dude, I recently had a couple of trojans come in and took over the pc !
Adaware and avg picked them up but couldn't remove them
Someone on here suggested www.malwarebytes.com which snared them and cleaned them out for me ! Found a hell of a lot of regestry keys infected also !
I run Free Avast anti virus now and that sure as hell lets ya know when a virus is around, it's got the hell siren !
Still need a couple of good spyware cleaners like a few have mentioned and where one might miss a few bugs the other will pick em up !
cc cleaner is good for emptying ya temp files and cookies !
If all else fails start backing up shit cause rebooting is always fun !