PDA

View Full Version : DRZ suspension

Morcs
14th October 2008, 17:30
Cant figure out how to stop the rear sagging so much.

When sat on it, the entire tail is horizontal, I like them to sweep upwards like a normal dirt bike.

At normal position its sagging about 30%, if i grab the subframe and lift, the travel extends heaps...

I tried stiffening it. I got the preload wound up more. Just put back to factory settings but doesnt seem to have helped. I also tried softening the compression on the front to get them to sit lower naturally.

Also im not sure im the shop understood right when I said wind the preload up, ie. harden to give better ride height.

Do i need to go up more on the preload on the rear?

kezzafish
15th October 2008, 07:05
Can't hurt to try aye. works on dirt bikes. makes em turn in faster. i wanna get some bar raisers so i can slide the forks up a bit, will make a huge difference to handling properties. so there's an idea for ya. lowering compression is kinda the wrong way to go about it i recon. they are soft in da rear aye

t3mp0r4ry nzr
15th October 2008, 07:34
if you want ride height, then maybe a heavier spring and revalve of shock (but im no expert ie, seek a pro's advice)

you can wind up the pre-load only so much to reduce sag.

what kind riding do you do? what benefits do you want ie, sharper steering or a sportier look?
note, when you crank up the back end height you will place more load in the front end so you would want to balance the bikes dynamics by putting heavier springs and oil in the forks. how far do you want to go? how much you wann spend?

if its not much, then crank up the rear spring preload and front preload (if adjustable). it will ride worst but you will have ride height. how much ride height do you need?

see where this is going, the solution is not simple and depends on how much you wanna spend and what you wanna achieve

AlBundy
15th October 2008, 16:11
Off road bikes run different rider sag figures. 70-100mm I think for the rear. The fronts are usually not adjustable.

If you are after a better look, I'd say you have the wrong bike but if you are after handling improvements, you'd have to set the sag for the minimum dimension and take it from there...

It may be worth finding out what the basic setup is suited for, rider weight -wise... You may just be too much for it, lol...

Morcs
15th October 2008, 18:35
Off road bikes run different rider sag figures. 70-100mm I think for the rear. The fronts are usually not adjustable.

If you are after a better look, I'd say you have the wrong bike but if you are after handling improvements, you'd have to set the sag for the minimum dimension and take it from there...

It may be worth finding out what the basic setup is suited for, rider weight -wise... You may just be too much for it, lol...

Im 69kg... static sag is what I want to get rid of. It sags quite a bit just under its own weight.

I use it for commuting. but as the rear ends up being so low, im having to use a fair bit of strenght to hold my self upright when riding on the motorway, its doing my back in.

hospitalfood
15th October 2008, 19:05
from what i have read ( not much ) you should leave the compression alone in this case. set max preload on the back , should be easy to do. it should behave ok on the road but take it easy to start. you could try less preload on the front but it is more of a risk for lots of reasons

kezzafish
15th October 2008, 19:51
Im 69kg... static sag is what I want to get rid of. It sags quite a bit just under its own weight.

I use it for commuting. but as the rear ends up being so low, im having to use a fair bit of strenght to hold my self upright when riding on the motorway, its doing my back in.

if you stiffen the rear and soften the front it's could handle poorly at speed cos you affect the fork angle (you'll have less rake) it could be a bit twitchy at speed. sliding the forks up (like i'm gonna do) has the same effect but i recon it'll be more fun in the twisty roads round town etc. You just gotta try it i recon cos everyone has a view aye! You should try riding on the motorway in Welli mate. i do it every morning from the city to the hutt, that northerly is a cunt. I get to work with a sore back too, they're not good on open roads no matter what ya do. i'd move to brisbane if there was any decent dirt riding there