PDA

View Full Version : TYRES - Sports Bike

NZred
12th September 2003, 22:53
Dare I ask,.. about sports bike tyres ?? :rolleyes:

Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Metzeler, Dunlop,.. etc.  lots of choice. But what is best ?.  I realize it depends on your ability, or lack of, and riding style. If you are looking for soft sticky low Km's (6,000km on a tyre set is not much),  or harder high Km.  tyres ??.

In the end is it just down to price or personal preference,.. OR.. do we support the manufactures that are developing tyres on the race tracks ?? :confused:

Kiwi
12th September 2003, 23:18
SportTec M1!!:niceone:

Kiwi

wkid_one
13th September 2003, 09:30
Lower Mileage - High Stick

Rennsports (Metzeler)

BT012's

208GP's

Diablo SuperCorsas

Higher Mileage - Good Stick

BT010's

208's

M1's

Diablos

Pilot Sports

All good tyres

bikerboy
13th September 2003, 10:57
The following is what I read not MY opinion.:D

In a recent RIDE mag article on tires they asked the "experts" and the tire manufacturers for tire advice. Their general opinion was that anything beyond a "sport touring tire " for 95% of riders was a waste of money.

The reasoning was that as tire design becomes more soffisticated race and near race compounds do not reach optimal temperature with road riding conditions due to lack of speed and time at speed and therefore grip/performance is compromised.

The suggestion was that since the tires didn't/couldn't heat up as designed their grip was actually inferior to the lower spec tire in road use, which did reach optimum design criteria.

They felt sport touring (michelin pilot road) and one level above(michelin pilot sport) would be more than adequate for fast/very fast road riding and track days. And unless one did more than 75% of their riding on tracks/track days the Rennesport level tire was inferior and a waste of money.
:eek:

Responses??

wkid_one
13th September 2003, 11:17
Depends how slow you ride on road - if you are getting right to the edges of your tires (knee scrapping ,pegs etc) - then I would sure as hell want Rennsports on the bike.

Sports Tourers have too many water channels reducing the contact with the road - thereby reducing your grip on the road - especially at the outside edges of the tires - where you want it the most.  Rennsports are basically cut slicks for the road - by definition more grip on the edges.

Coldkiwi
13th September 2003, 16:24
Dunno about that BB. The increase in confidence I felt from switching to a dragon supercorsa front tyre (slick on the edges as used in world supersport racing) from the previous Dragon Evo (road supersport and water channels right to the edge) was pretty marked. Neither of them let go but the difference is in the feedback and confidence the tyre gives. Possibly some manufacturers supersport tyres do need too much heating but I think that will be getting designed out as their competitiors sort their products out.

as for manufacturers and race tyres going on roads... I think its probably a large step of faith to say 'Well, Dunlop bikes are winning in MotoGp therefore they must have the best road tyres.' Two different kettles of fish designed for two different appetites!

'Twill be very interesting to see what happens to Pirelli's road tyre selection over the next few years now that they are the sole supplier to the World Supersport and Superbike series.  I think they've been behind the eight ball a bit till now so they may really start pushing Dunlop/michelin and co. in the other series.

wkid_one
13th September 2003, 17:10
Yea CK - and the other thing is with comparing race tyres with road tyres of the same brand - is that the Race teams are working with the tyre manufacturer to get the perfect tyre for their bike - ie the tyre Repsol Honda get and the tyre Fila Duc - may be from the same manufacturer - but are completely different tyres - therefore bode no reference for choosing a road tyre.....

I am a firm believer of putting the best rubber on your bike...as it is the only thing keeping you bubble up.  Why skimp on safety.

I do disagree with BB - but then that is probably because of how I ride.  Knowing how CK rides as well - a sports tourer would be no good for him either - hence the sport Pirelli CK runs.

If you spend all your ridig time on the middle of the tyre - a tourer tyre is great - but if you are in pursuit of lean - sports/hypersports are better....it is all to do with the purpose they were designed for.

bikerboy
13th September 2003, 18:08
Wikd, it isn't my opinion or based on any experience I have had. I don't know enough to have a view. It is the opinion of the tire makers based on
their design specs. I just thought I'd pass it on for comment.

You think you ride hard enough to merit the more race oriented tire. They are saying that MOST LIKELY you, but not neccesarily, as a typical rider, can't ride to levels beyond the design of sport or sport tourer tires on roads.

They claim these tires deliver grip levels in wet, dry, road and track condtions in excess of average rider abilities in real life conditions. And further that the levels of grip offered by the race type tires are only experienced by regular track riding at very very high speeds for extended periods, as road conditions prevent these tires reaching optimum temperature they operate at 70% of capability, which is a lower grip level than the sport/tourer.

I am sure there are many out there who need these tires as well as those who like to think they need them. They are just saying save money by buying the tire you really need not the ones you want to need. :whocares: it's your money.:rolleyes:

bluninja
13th September 2003, 19:44
For the road here I chose to go for a sport front and a sport touring rear. More than enough for the slow rate of progress I make on the road:p Maybe it's just the way the V-twin rips up softer rear tyres that made me go for that combination.

As for the confidence/feel that may be down to the profile of the tyres, rather than the absolute grip. Will be geting some super sticky black hoops for the SV though, especially as I will have to keep these budding new racers in my sights.

TTFN

wkid_one
13th September 2003, 22:39
I can't ride anyway - so am switching to canvas white walls

What?
15th September 2003, 09:16
Interesting thread. Twenty years ago I was told not to waste my money on V rated tyres, as H rated were cheaper, and in the real world would grip better than V rated equivalents, as the higher spec'd tyres needed to be used considerably harder to achieve and maintain optimum operating temperature. I have run H rated tyres since with no concerns.

Of course, I am not running this years hyper-sports 200 KW sportsbikes, either, but the same principal probably applies. Bikes have got better, so have tyres. The only real advantage in having higher spec tyres than you need, is psychological advantage; you may find that you will ride harder with a tyre you believe to be superior to others. Maybe.

Dave
15th September 2003, 10:52
These race/road tyres that many of you are running are only any good when theyre up to full temp, Unfortunatly unless you have them sitting there on tyre warmers and avoid traffic lights,going at 50k/hr,and driving on straight bits of road for more than 1minute at a time, they will surely cool down and offer you less grip than their touring counterparts.

I was guilty of the same thing when i had my GSXR, particularly with a set of bridgstones.When i took off cold it would wheelspin the rear alot until it was up to temp. Even after coming off the motorway it would have cooled down enough that it wouldn't wheelstand away from the lights-just spin up.
Killed my tyre milage-2500km for a rear-not from riding hard-just a tyre that cooled down too quick and was too hard to keep at temp.
something to think about.

Coldkiwi
15th September 2003, 12:28
good point dave. its certainly something to consider when being tempted by super snotty rubber. have to say, i find the supercorsa does warm up fairly quick and doesn't seem to need much to keep at at a reasonable temp. I have yet to get it to puke and try it under some serious heat but I can't foresee any problems given the fun i'm having on just my commute.

I am starting to consider the sticky front and hard wearing rear more seriously though. the rear dragon evo I've got on is decidedly flatter in the middle after my high speed+heavy luggage jaunt down and back to the cold kiwi. not enough corners!

Kwaka-Kid
15th September 2003, 14:16
Metzler ME33 Laser - HATE... what do they make these tyres of? special white paint repelling rubber? i ride along and even lightly touch white paint or those black slicks that fill road in the wet and she slides... the Michellin Macadams are FAR better... dont just let go so easily.

Bridgestone BT090 (more of a race compound then the 010) -Great! -heard so many good comments on the BT010's on light bikes that these are apparently just perfect.

Bridgestone BT90 (on my rear) feels fine.. back didnt slide yesterday.  Apparently old stock from 1997 but the bike warms it and scrubbed it in just fine.. right to the *very* edge on the right hand side but still got about 10mm on left hand edge.

-oh quick question.. like i said rear is scrubbed right to very edge on the VFR, but the front still has like 10mm on right edge and say 15mm on left edge? is that normal? how do i get there? im running 28psi front and 30psi rear.

Dave
15th September 2003, 14:29
It's to do with tyre profiles and combinations of frt to rear sizing,etc.
Don't be too keen to run off the edge of the tyre-makes no difference how far down you get-it's corner speed that counts.
My '92 race bike I can get my knee down on every corner and even get it down in the wet! but on my '98 bike i can hardly ever get my knee down but i'm carrying more speed at every corner than i ever have before.

Kwaka-Kid
15th September 2003, 21:54
oh okay, kool, thanks for that Dave.

hehe i wont keep trying to go further then feels right now.. :)

and im loving having new tyres :)  but as i say.. Fuck cycletreads.. LEADING EDGE! HERE I COME! :D