PDA

View Full Version : Riding tips for new riders, or those getting into it again

Zapf
30th January 2005, 23:19
Hello all,
This is a document that I found which has some really good riding tips, and generally cover most things that new riders or anyone who has got a bit rusty will encounter. So please have a read and ref new riders to it.

edit: tkns bluninja, yes this is no means the authortive resource. it helped me quite a bit when I was learning on my VTR250, hence I share it.

As for looking thru the corner with head tilted... I actually do that. Coming from a background of driving fast cars, my preception is better across than up and down. And I also believe that our field of vision is better across than up and down due to evolution. However since I hav been riding all of 6 months, u might be right and I'll change over time. Specially with more powerful bikes

Cheers
Zapf

bluninja
31st January 2005, 00:33
Hello all,
This is a document that I found which has some really good riding tips, and generally cover most things that new riders or anyone who has got a bit rusty will encounter. So please have a read and ref new riders to it.

Cheers
Zapf

Had a quick look. The writer is going in the right direction, but there's some inconsitencies, opinions expressed as fact; and some stuff that is plain wrong.

I guess this is written by an american, given the references to MSF. I would suggest newbies and returning bikers should read some better resources on bike riding than this. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone as an authoritive resource.

Have you ever steered a bike using bodyweight alone??? Don't work, but this piece suggests it can be done if inefficiently...and devotes a whole section to it. He also suggests that hanging off helps your bike steer quicker. I could not recommend his advice and technique for hanging off.

He also seems to think that when the rear end slides and you rapidly open the throttle it will cause a high side; when in fact chopping the throttle is the thing that almost guarantees a highside.

Oh and this says it all for me...

a. Several writers recommend to keep your head vertical while the rest of your body leans.
i They usually say it’s so you keep your eyes level with the horizon to avoid confused visual cues and upset balance.
ii I think that’s dumber than dirt. Why put a crick in your neck? Any pilot will tell you it’s easier to simply look up to look through a turn than to cock your head and then twist it. And your balance is steadier when your head is banked with the g’s than if you’re fighting them by trying to keep your head vertical.

Err....you look where you're going next, if you don't tilt your head you will always be looking at the outside of the curve and not to your destination. This also breaks his 'vison rule' of look where you want to go.

Waylander
31st January 2005, 00:43
Advice for riding? I just do my stuff on instinct.:rockon:

bluninja
31st January 2005, 00:53

first thing in that doc, says all motorcycle riding is counterintuitive, and you can get into serious trouble relying on instinct :banana:

Jantar
31st January 2005, 00:55
OK, I haven't read through the whole thing, just the first few pages told me enough to know that I wouldn't trust what is written there. However as a beginning document it does have some good points, so I would not dismiss it entirely. Perhaps we need to remember that most of us are experienced riders and this has been written for beginners. It certainly needs to be edited and have some of the more dangerous advice removed. :doh:

Waylander
31st January 2005, 00:58
first thing in that doc, says all motorcycle riding is counterintuitive, and you can get into serious trouble relying on instinct :banana:
Not a problem hoss my logic and instincts have always run counter to everyone elses:2thumbsup

Zapf
31st January 2005, 01:01
ok. would u all care to made changes and suggestions? I'll be happy to update the document and perhaps... we can have some good reading for new riders and all alike?

bluninja
31st January 2005, 01:14
ok. would u all care to made changes and suggestions? I'll be happy to update the document and perhaps... we can have some good reading for new riders and all alike?

Oooh a challenge :thud: sorry don't have the time available at present to commit to produce something that would not be incomplete, or slipshod (to my standards). However you may be able to get a flavour of some changes that could be made, by looking through the counter steering, and braking threads.

To me the first chapter would be the boring one of checking your bike is fit to ride and that you have the right gear to ride in.
Second would be setting the attitude to riding. ie Tarmac and other vehicles are hard and hurt when you come in contact with them.
Then I guess Braking; then throttle control, use of the clutch, changing gears,cornering, and finally stunts

bluninja
31st January 2005, 01:17
Whoops, I forgot road positioning, vanishing points, hazard awareness, practice drills, overtaking, group riding, basic maintenance.

Sheesh, how longs a piece of string?

Will
31st January 2005, 05:26
I had a quick read. Some of it is opinion. Some of it I agree with.

Zapf, you mention head angle and how you are comfortable with this because of your car experience. Well, have you not noticed that your head and body goes one way when in a car and yet for the same corner on a bike your head and body will do the opposite. Now I am not going to get into the law of physics but it is interesting to note these little facts.

If any one wants to read some interesting material (and it is very easy to follow) there is "The Bikers Bible" written by Graham Allardice. Very well written. Has a little introduction from Aaron Slight.

DEATH_INC.
31st January 2005, 07:36
a. Several writers recommend to keep your head vertical while the rest of your body leans.
i They usually say it’s so you keep your eyes level with the horizon to avoid confused visual cues and upset balance.
ii I think that’s dumber than dirt. Why put a crick in your neck? Any pilot will tell you it’s easier to simply look up to look through a turn than to cock your head and then twist it. And your balance is steadier when your head is banked with the g’s than if you’re fighting them by trying to keep your head vertical.

Err....you look where you're going next, if you don't tilt your head you will always be looking at the outside of the curve and not to your destination. This also breaks his 'vison rule' of look where you want to go.
Umm think about this,if yer leaned right over into a corner,you actually have to look mostly UP to see the exit as he sez.....
I'll read the rest later....

bluninja
31st January 2005, 08:10
Umm think about this,if yer leaned right over into a corner,you actually have to look mostly UP to see the exit as he sez.....
I'll read the rest later....

That may be, assuming you are looking at (or for) the exit rather than the entry point for the next bend, or scanning the road as far ahead as possible to give you more planning time. Anyway you can only lean your head so far back and you may well need to twist to keep that view. and Ummmm think about it, how do you see where you going as you tip it into the corner??? Tilt your head back and look at the sky?? Didn't think so. :banana:

Tilting your head back works great on rollercoasters, or on pillion but then you're a passenger and just enjoying the view.

Dodgyiti
31st January 2005, 08:18

I did that for 20 years, then had a bad bin and recently read a book just on braking.
Realised that I would have avoided it all if I had just read the book first. :mad:
But then maybe I am just a slow learner :wacko:

Vagabond
31st January 2005, 08:27

The distance is equal to the length from the centre point to one end multiplied by two. :done:

Biff
31st January 2005, 12:45
Several writers recommend to keep your head vertical while the rest of your body leans.

I always close my eyes and use the force. It's worked for me so far.
(I am joking newbies!!!!!!)

Hitcher
31st January 2005, 16:34
A fractal piece of string would be infinitely long, because it would be wiggly at every scale.

bluninja
1st February 2005, 00:43
A fractal piece of string would be infinitely long, because it would be wiggly at every scale.

Better not try and buy it by the metre then.

Gonna go and sit on my bike in the garage and practise hanging off, tilting my head back and imagine that I can see the end of the string.