PDA

View Full Version : When good tyres go bad.

TZ350
15th October 2008, 15:44
When good tyres go bad. :(

Sunday at Mt Wellington was fine and just great for racing but the ESE boys were complaining amongst themselves that their tires have gone off and that they were just not getting the grip that they needed. This was messing with their heads and they just did not have as good a day as they had expected.

Later when I read the bit below from Keith Codes book it occurred to me that the last couple of meeting had been wet and the tyres had become polished up and what they needed was a jolly good thrashing to get them working again. But everyone thought their tyers had come to the end of their life so they rode around like nannies. :baby:

From “A TWIST OF THE WRIST” by Keith Code

""Tire sliding and slippage are built-in safety valves.

They’re telling you the tire is reaching its limits. Premium street tires and racing tires are designed to operate in this area of friction and heat. The used-up rubber “balls up” and goes away, exposing a fresh rubber surface to the pavement. A standard street tire usually will not give up the used and un-resilient rubber fast enough, so it’s top layers become dry and slippery. The “oil’s” that are used to keep it resilient have been “cooked” out of the top layer of rubber, but the layer still clings to the tire. If you’re not letting your racing tires slip, you’re really riding under the ability of the tires.

Buying racing tires that are beyond your capabilities as a rider will not allow you to experience how tires perform at their limits.""

So if your tyres go bad give them a good thrashing, this works well for wives, dogs and children too. :zzzz: Just checking to see if the PC brigade is awake.

It explains why I have some times thought my tyres were dirty/oily and after a few laps were working ok, I thought they had just cleaned themselves up, in a way I guess they had. So if your tyres are slippy, thrash them untill they become grippy. ;)

quallman1234
15th October 2008, 17:44
I usually find how good my tire's are that day, by finding their limits and crashing. Crashing doesn't affect me anymore.

bucketracer
15th October 2008, 18:43
I am reading Keith Codes book too. Reacon I will be pretty good when I get out there. :laugh: Dads helping me with the bike.

SHELRACING
15th October 2008, 19:37
QUOTE 'So if your tyres go bad give them a good thrashing, this works well for wives, dogs and children too. Just checking to see if the PC brigade is awake.'

Cheers Rob, I'll continue this discussion with wobbler, if you don't hear from me for a few days you know why.

I would be surprised and it seems unlikely that the tyres were failing on all bikes at the same time.

Consider that the RS / GP was a radical new bike in comparison to The rest of the fleet. Not many riders would take to a machine like that on the first outing.

The Shinko on wobblers bike has been on there for a couple of years and still holding well. But it does take a while to warm it up.

The main purpose of the warm up laps, is just that, get the tyres warm. Sometimes that does take a few laps, and takes more as the tyres age. I'm telling you what you already know I suppose.

Maybe the boys just had a bad day !!

TZ350
15th October 2008, 19:47
Yes your right I should have smelled a rat, they could not all be on the way out at the same time but I could not figure it out at the time, mine scrubbed up and started working well but Cully just could not get into the grove and Scott was all at sea with his new bike.

The RS/GP125 is a bike just begging to be ridden aggressively, that takes some getting used to and also it is suffering some mysterious ailment. It has the same engine, pipe, carb and ignition combo as the other bikes but has no mumbo, why??? Then it just stoped, thought it had shed the ignition rotor, this has happend before, but it had only run out of gas, and all this was messing with the crews heads.

Me, I had a good day and felt happy with my bike and was able to try some changes to my riding technique.

I know I should'nt be, but I am just so surprised how much a good day or bad day racing depends on where your at in your head at the time.

Buckets4Me
15th October 2008, 19:56
I thought I had a good day
But everyone els had a better day that was all

when's the next one