PDA

View Full Version : Tyres?

kezzafish
15th October 2008, 20:12
My first tyre has reached the end of it's life (3400ks) it was the tyre that came with thte bike new, dunlop D208 sm 140/70/17 (rear) i can't find the same size anywhere, even Wellington motorcycles don't have a listing for it and that's where i bought the bike! I'm looking for tips on what to get as i've never bought a roadbike tyre before. I have about 5mm of worrie lines on either side of the tyre (pussy) so was hopeing to get some thing flatter? would a 130 be better? and i want something harder so it skids at lower speed and lasts a bit longer. I've also had a bit of a look at on/off road types but it seems that the SM rim size is a bit special and there isn't heaps of choice available. any suggestions much appreciated

Southmotian
15th October 2008, 20:31
I run a Race Attack on the front and Sport Attack rear. It's a real good combo with the front a tad stickier. I've done about 3500 km on them and still have a bit of life in the rear and about half front. They're incredibly good once warm, you have to try bloody hard to break traction, but it sounds like that isn't what you're after.

If you're after something a bit more hard wearing maybe a Sport Attack front and Road Attack rear.

As for chicken strips I wouldn't change the profile to get rid of them, you never know when you might have to really crank it over to get out of a situation. I would have thought your bike would run a 150/60 rear normally?

Conti's are pretty fairly priced compared to the others too.

kezzafish
15th October 2008, 22:30
I run a Race Attack on the front and Sport Attack rear. It's a real good combo with the front a tad stickier. I've done about 3500 km on them and still have a bit of life in the rear and about half front. They're incredibly good once warm, you have to try bloody hard to break traction, but it sounds like that isn't what you're after.

If you're after something a bit more hard wearing maybe a Sport Attack front and Road Attack rear.

As for chicken strips I wouldn't change the profile to get rid of them, you never know when you might have to really crank it over to get out of a situation. I would have thought your bike would run a 150/60 rear normally?

Conti's are pretty fairly priced compared to the others too.

Is that continentals? someone told me shinkos are cheap and O.K? it looks like i'll be looking at something more like a 150/60, they seem to be more common, will that add to my chicken strip noticeably? i'm not convinced i do want something harder cos i still lock up when i don't mean to at times. kinda just wanna see people's opinions. Cheers for ya post. were you riding along the bypass with another motard on Saturday?

mazz1972
15th October 2008, 22:56
I'd suggest trying www.cycletreads.co.nz and if they don't list what you want, phone/email and ask.

AlBundy
16th October 2008, 03:24
150/60 are the popular choice for a replacement, with good success by most accounts.

kezzafish
16th October 2008, 15:01
cool, thanks for the posts, cycle treads have real cheap kenda tyres but i don't wanna buy anything without touching it first, they also have all the flashys (pirelli, bridgestone etc) i went down to wgtn m cycles today and had a geez at a shinko 150/60 for $180, i think i'll get it

Southmotian
16th October 2008, 16:38
Is that continentals? someone told me shinkos are cheap and O.K? it looks like i'll be looking at something more like a 150/60, they seem to be more common, will that add to my chicken strip noticeably? i'm not convinced i do want something harder cos i still lock up when i don't mean to at times. kinda just wanna see people's opinions. Cheers for ya post. were you riding along the bypass with another motard on Saturday?

Wasn't me.

Yep, continentals.

I had shinko 008's on mine when I bought it. I got rid of them pretty quick cause I didn't like the profile, a couple of times I leaned it right off the edge of the tyre which gives you a hell of a fright. Other than that they seemed pretty good. Can't really comment on wear cause I only had em on 700 km but they looked pretty fresh still, maybe 85% tread at a guess.

If you're not hooked on the idea of a shitty tyre that slides around a lot price up a Race Attack, Sport Attack combo. You won't be disappointed. I got 120/70 and 150/60. The sharper front profile should stop you from rolling off the front which would end in a world of pain very quickly.

portokiwi
16th October 2008, 16:45
Cool I am now a VIP on cycle treads:lol::2thumbsup

GaZBur
16th October 2008, 21:33
... have about 5mm of worrie lines on either side of the tyre (pussy) so was hopeing to get some thing flatter? would a 130 be better? and i want something harder so it skids at lower speed and lasts a bit longer. I've also had a bit of a look at on/off road types but it seems that the SM rim size is a bit special and there isn't heaps of choice available. any suggestions much appreciated
I have a DR650 for commuting and motard racing and have a Dunlop GT501's, 150/70-17. Its a ply tyre not a radial and reasonable in the wet, hard wearing and slides nice. It slides early but is real comfortable in a slide as it is predictable and won't just wash out. Despite being a 70 profile I have still ridden off the edge so if you have strips on the side it is probably more to do with rim size pinching the tyre shape than profile. Its a good idea to have a little bit of edge left as riding off the edge isn't good.

Motardman
17th October 2008, 10:27
I had a 120\60 on the front of mine when I bought the wheels....changed it to 120\70 for a much quicker turn in and more corner stability.

I can THOROUGHLY recommend Michelin Pilot 2CT's, the grip is fantastic from cold and wear rate is great. Done 2000km on the front so far and wear is minimal (and I don't ride like a nana). I've got a Metzeler Sportec M3 on the rear which is very good, nice progressive slides when it does eventually let go....its wearing quite evenly too.

You may find that you only find the edge of either the front or the back tyre but maybe not both due to the geometry of the motard....I've found the edge of the back tyre but the front still retains a 5mm chicken strip....can't get rid of it without going of the edge of the rear:shit:

kezzafish
18th October 2008, 18:24
i bought a metzeler tourance on/off road tyre (supposed to be 80% for road use) 150/70 it's an out of it pattern with large pads and big channels but i've had good experience with metzeler on the dirt. I got it from bike biketreadz.com, they're in lower hutt and run a bike wreckers, he gets old tyres from a tour bike hire company and some are still in pretty good nick. paid 60 for it as a quick fix and to see what this style of tyre performs like. it's squared off quite a bit but it seems to stick as well as the dunlop (for as hard as i'm prepared to push it). the fella fitted it on the rim for free and was super helpful. would recommend biketreadz if your broke like me! they have a website with pics and prices of their avaliable tyres. cheers for ya helps and comments. i'm still gonna have to buy a new tyre in 1000 ks or so but this should help me decide if i want to go for a sports sticker or a paddy gravel muncher