PDA

View Full Version : Greetings :)

alastabesta
31st January 2005, 08:24
Hi all,

I'm a newbie on the biking world - thought about getting a bike for a couple of weeks and now I'm gona put some action into achieving it. Gonna get my handling tests at mid/end of Feb and go from there :) Currently don't have a bike yet but looking for a "good for beginner" sorta bike :P :ride:

A

Dodgyiti
31st January 2005, 08:46
You have come to the right place if you want good advice on all sorts of learner entry bikes.
Of course I have never had one and am no use whatsoever in that respect. :rolleyes:
But between the KB crew, there would be somone somewhere that has owned, borrowed or crashed each and every 250 avaliable in NZ :bleh:

MSTRS
31st January 2005, 08:48
:shake: You slowing down in your old age, Wari? Welcome bikeless enthusiast. Ignore (some of) the advise here. It will only end in tears :sly:

XTC
31st January 2005, 08:49
Welcome. Once you start riding if it's in ya blood you'll never give it up willingly.

thehollowmen
31st January 2005, 10:23
welcome...
If you've got a mechanical mind or have friends / relitives who bike and will give you a hand, consider going second hand and save the money to buy a big bike when you get your full.

Whatever 250 you get it will feel small very soon.

and they're right... you'll take a minute to hug your bike if you ever go on holiday without it...
:love2:

Sniper
31st January 2005, 10:52
Welcome mate. Ill tell you now, be prepared for the wacky types you will meet here, but have fun.

Good luck for your test, keep us posted

Riff Raff
31st January 2005, 11:26
Welcome to KB :wavey:

alastabesta
31st January 2005, 11:40
thx all for the warm welcome :2thumbsup

thehollowmen> yep I do work on my car all the time so I should be able to tackle some of the problems in a bike. Saw one for sale in Masterton so might go down for a roadtrip if its worth the money - I mean, for $500 I ain't gona expect anything as long as it gets me from A to B w/out breaking down. Its a 1984 Suzuki GN250 and the owner said it goes alright, need to replace the seat cover and side cover is missing but other than that nothing major... what are you guys's thought on it? :yeah:

madboy
31st January 2005, 11:50
I'm making some assumptions here, don't know your financial position nor preference for toys. But this wee story may interest you.

I bought a bike, I like speed and many think I have a deathwish. Well documented in my previous posts.

My better half saw the joy my bike bought me, and decided that she should get one too. So she got her licence, ignored the advice of the sensible rider training guy (buy an old GN250 for a few months) and bought a brand spanking new GSX250. No test rides, she didn't want to bin it in traffic with zero road experience. Didn't even want to take my bike for a blast to get an idea of how different a real bike is to a GN100 learner jobbie in a carpark.

She rode it approximately once before figuring that she didn't share my deathwish, nor sense of adventure. She didn't like riding in traffic. She didn't like riding at high speed. The other six or so times she rode it over the seven months she had it just confirmed her impressions. See the picture?

We sold that bike a week or so ago. Seven months old, 1100km on the clock (about 900 of which was me riding it to and fro work to keep it ticking over).

Choose carefully. And if you're not too concerned about licence restrictions, I can do ya a deal on a 1990 FZR400 that's never been ridden in anger :innocent:

Coyote
31st January 2005, 12:07
Almost all 250s would suit you. My CBR is nice and smooth, but still has more power for when you have built up the skills to ride a bit faster.

Allthough, I do reccomend the AX100, very fun bike to ride, and dirt cheap. Hopefully have one for the next rack day :eek:

Wilkommen to the site :niceone:

sels1
31st January 2005, 12:32
Hi all,

I'm a newbie on the biking world - thought about getting a bike for a couple of weeks and now I'm gona put some action into achieving it. Gonna get my handling tests at mid/end of Feb and go from there :) Currently don't have a bike yet but looking for a "good for beginner" sorta bike :P :ride:

A

Welcome aboard Alastabesta.

Another option for learners is get a street legal trail bike. You can ride it on the road but you can also play around on the dirt and increase your skills in an offroad situation - you can fall off with little harm to you or bike in mud or sand etc.

alastabesta
31st January 2005, 13:12
madboy> my financial situation is not so good - working on my car's interior in diy style, also being a full time student means stupid uni is leeeeeeeeching off my wallet :ar15: at the moment I just want a reliable bike that will survive 1 year (until I get my full) and then rest is all negotiable. Probably not too big in size as I've been on the good old vespa and also 500cc ones so I 100% know what you meant by the difference between different bikes.

In regards to your proposal, I would need to talk with my friend as she is putting half the money into it as well but wooooooowwwww :gob: 400cc bike... /drool

also can I say THIS FORUM'S SMILIES ROCKS!!!! never seen so many smilies before :2thumbsup

alastabesta
31st January 2005, 13:17
sels1> yeah I've heard horror stories that people fell off their bike and broke their wrist - never be able to ride again :sick:

ouch.

alastabesta
31st January 2005, 13:21
alarumba> is ax100 made by suzuki?

avgas
31st January 2005, 14:06
Allthough, I do reccomend the AX100(Suzuki), very fun bike to ride, and dirt cheap. Hopefully have one for the next rack day :eek:

Have to agree here, AX100 would be a perfect way to start.
Anyone can ride a bike of anysize, but only a fool would try and take a corner too fast with no skill.
AX100 you could drop it and probably make money off it if it was filmed. Try that with anyother bike. :laugh:
If thats too slow how bout a GP125, or GN250
Then you get into the FXR150s

Biff
31st January 2005, 15:57
:spudwave: Welcome dude. A quiet word of advice - don't mention the c-a-r word here. You need to make friends.

Enjoy.

Storm
31st January 2005, 16:09
Welcome to our wee corner of cyberspace. Nice to see you already making use of the accumulated knowledge on here

alastabesta
31st January 2005, 17:11
/taking notes down

yep won't mention that word again /zips his mouth

:D

Coyote
31st January 2005, 17:23
alarumba> is ax100 made by suzuki?
Surrre is. You can get one for I think it was 2000 brand new. Maybe I shouldn't bother anodising the CBR's frame and get a AX

Coyote
31st January 2005, 17:25
:spudwave:A quiet word of advice - don't mention the c-a-r word here.
Instead, say cage, and you'll do fine :niceone:

Sparky Bills
31st January 2005, 19:28
Hey, welcome!

alastabesta
31st January 2005, 21:15
Surrre is. You can get one for I think it was 2000 brand new. Maybe I shouldn't bother anodising the CBR's frame and get a AX

did some research on that one and for 2003 model its around 2g with completed mr2a

however I found some from T&E, all within 1g (my budget at the moment):
Suzuki GSXR250
Honda XR200
Yamaha TZR 125cc
Honda CR125
Yamaha XZR250
Honda NS250 RF

any thought on any of those bikes anyone? Gonna go to AA and find out how much it costs for riding lessons, hopefully won't be too dear :unsure:

Aaron
1st February 2005, 13:50
Hi alastabesta and welcome :)

I too just got into this bike lark, (a week yesterday actually).

Anyway, have fun riding :scooter:

Wellyman
1st February 2005, 13:54
Now where is wari he hasn't given you the official wari welcome yet :2thumbsup:

Welcome to the site by the way

magnum
2nd February 2005, 12:54
onya,hello and welcome :cool:

vifferman
2nd February 2005, 13:01
:wavey: Welcome to Kiwi Biker, Dude! :spudwave:

wari
2nd February 2005, 19:18
:spudwave: ... EX-cuse me mate ... is this yurrs ==> :moon:

alastabesta
2nd February 2005, 20:27
lol

spankerrrr :P

:lol:

Skunk
2nd February 2005, 21:06
Welcome!

With my limited limitations I would say very little:

Suzuki GSXR250 :Punk:
Honda XR200 :ride:
Yamaha TZR 125cc :Punk:
Honda CR125 :confused2
Yamaha XZR250 :crazy:
Honda NS250 RF :shifty:

inlinefour
2nd February 2005, 21:28
take care learning and enjoy the site :doobey:

MSTRS
3rd February 2005, 09:49
did some research on that one and for 2003 model its around 2g with completed mr2a

however I found some from T&E, all within 1g (my budget at the moment):
Suzuki GSXR250
Honda XR200
Yamaha TZR 125cc
Honda CR125
Yamaha XZR250
Honda NS250 RF

any thought on any of those bikes anyone? Gonna go to AA and find out how much it costs for riding lessons, hopefully won't be too dear :unsure:
You don't say whether you want dirt or road bike. The XR200 would be about right for dirt & price. Forget the CR125 (MX only i'd say). The GSXR250 could be a bit rough at that price. Forget the TZR125 & XZR250. Leaves the NS250 for road & price.

alastabesta
3rd February 2005, 17:42
atm I just need something that's strong (minimal cost to fix if I fall over), cheap to run and minimal rust to last at least 2 years so I guess I'd go with road bike :niceone:

Sniper
4th February 2005, 07:50
Heya mate, hopw you enjoy the site with all its wacky perks