PDA

View Full Version : Lost my nerve to ride

kels
16th October 2008, 14:21
Hi
Approx 2 years ago I came off my Bike at a Roundabout (I had always feared of that happening) It was a slow speed but I ended up quite hurt.

Anyway the reason for my post is that I finally got the nerve to buy another Bike, I am really struggling with enjoying the ride. Here I have this beautiful RF400 and she is under cover because I don't have the courage to ride her. I have panic attacks everytime I get on her.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? It would be really appreciated.
Many thanks
Kel

MSTRS
16th October 2008, 14:24
Have you been off bikes since, or pillioned? A few rides on the back should help with nerves, and to get your head in the right space.
Sit on your bike in the garage and visualise the choicest ride you can imagine.
Tell yourself that YOU are in charge, and the bike is simply a tool that will only do what you tell it.

nudemetalz
16th October 2008, 14:28
Try and see if you can get your bike to a deserted carpark and just do some slow safe riding without any dangers present. Build up slowly.
After you've done what MSTRS has suggested too :)

Then look at going on group rides where you will have support from other fellow riders.

kels
16th October 2008, 14:29
Thanks heaps for that : )
I have been for a couple of rides but I am so tense and corners scare the
@$#% out of me. Im going to take your advise of just sitting on my bike and getting comfortable and feeling in charge. Thanks so much! Amazing how a few encouraging words can help : )

Colapop
16th October 2008, 14:32
As said. Take everything a little slower than you would have. Not as in speed but as in the way you approach things. Sit on the bike for awhile. Get used to the feel of it. Take a small ride around familiar roads - around the block. Do these things til they become comfortable again. Then expand your horizons as you become more and more comfortable.

NighthawkNZ
16th October 2008, 14:33
Hi
Approx 2 years ago I came off my Bike at a Roundabout (I had always feared of that happening) It was a slow speed but I ended up quite hurt.

Anyway the reason for my post is that I finally got the nerve to buy another Bike, I am really struggling with enjoying the ride. Here I have this beautiful RF400 and she is under cover because I don't have the courage to ride her. I have panic attacks everytime I get on her.

Many thanks
Kel

Relax... Find a mentor (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)in your region... relax...

Relax... RRRS (http://www.rrrs.org.nz)may help

Relax... and practise slow speed corning in a vacant car park or something

Relax... being uptight and having your panic attacks is going to make things worse than they really are... Try to avoid the death grip on the bars...

Relax... make sure your tyres are in good order, and then have a bit of faith in them to do their job.

Relax... we have all come off or had a bin even the most experienced, the trick with round abouts (depending on how tight they are) is not to go to slow nor to fast, but try and find that sweet spot of a speed for it...

With out knowing what went wrong the last time it is a bit difficult to help you, whether you under steer or overleaned or... however Kiwibiker has re-organised its Mentor program (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99) which may help you.

Most of it is just gaining that confidence again... and with a bit of practise and mentoring you will...

enjoy

fatzx10r
16th October 2008, 14:34
maybe look at doing a rider traing corse

sels1
16th October 2008, 14:37
As the others have said...just build up slowly. Try and get out of town on some real quiet roads and enjoy pootling along on your own.
Or just go around your own suburb over and over - sticking with the familier.
One mature L plater down this way didnt go out of his suburb (Stokes Valley) until he had done 1000km in it.

Rosie
16th October 2008, 14:37
Positive thoughts, and gradual exposure to your fears.

Set yourself small manageable goals, and reward yourself when you achieve them (even if it's just a mental pat on the back).

Try going on lots of mini-rides - around the block a couple of times, say. This will help you get used to suiting up and going out for a ride, without the "OMG I'm going on such a big ride" apprehension.

Good luck.

portokiwi
16th October 2008, 14:38
What area are you in. I see Auckland. They have MAPs and the north shore one?
You have done the first step:hug: You brought a bike... Just go for rides around the block if your street is quiet.
I realy know how you feel... I was in your situation not to long ago. My future wife brought me another bike... i went out and brought a little 50cc to get my confidance back with the 750cc sitting gathering dust.
I found it much easer to get the nurve to ride again. My problem was the riding at night as that was when I was hit twice lol. (both times in ChCh). Both times by drunk drivers.:doh:
If you need someone to ride beside there are many KBers out here in Auckland that will go with you.:chase:
Hope this helps

yungatart
16th October 2008, 14:40
See if you can borrow a smaller bike to start with, a little, lightweght, flickable 250. It might help with those confidence issues.
Relax, take deep breaths, ride with someone you trust...the grin will soon come back.

Dan Mapp
16th October 2008, 14:42
Hi there. I can't offer much advise as I'm new to this bike riding thing. But I will offer new my best wishes and say keep at it and the enjoyment will come back. Cheers Dan

NOMIS
16th October 2008, 14:42
Thanks heaps for that : )
I have been for a couple of rides but I am so tense and corners scare the
@$#% out of me. Im going to take your advise of just sitting on my bike and getting comfortable and feeling in charge. Thanks so much! Amazing how a few encouraging words can help : )

to be honest this may sound rash but you gota get over it before u get on other wise you will be a danger to your self and to others..\

sorry be the one to say but get over it and toughen up, how you do that ebats me but you shouldnt ride ( i know you dont yet ) at all until you feel ok

notme
16th October 2008, 14:46
What were the circumstances of the crash? It might help with some ideas to get you out and about on the bike again if we can identify areas that you can address in order to feel comfortable on a bike again.....?

vifferman
16th October 2008, 14:48
I had a post all prepared, but it basically said everything that everyone else here has said. If corners scare you, you need to psyche yourself up: remember that the bike is designed to go around corners, the tyres have more grip than you think they do, and above all, remember to look through the corner, not at the corner.
Maybe some fun off-road riding might help, on a track, or in the dirt, if you know someone you can borrow a dirt bike from.

As for roundabouts, they're very tricky, as they're usually off-camber, and sometimes slippery and/or bumpy. But once again, the trick is to look through the corner. On a roundabout, this means you have to look over your right shoulder to get it right.

kels
16th October 2008, 14:53
to be honest this may sound rash but you gota get over it before u get on other wise you will be a danger to your self and to others..\

sorry be the one to say but get over it and toughen up, how you do that ebats me but you shouldnt ride ( i know you dont yet ) at all until you feel ok

Your so right Nomis. It took alot to put this post up and I truly appreciate everyones helpful words and your honesty.
Cheers

ManDownUnder
16th October 2008, 15:00
Sounds strange... but an alternate way of conquoring your fears is to find something unrelated (that would scare the bejeezus out of you) and have a go at THAT!.

Parachuting comes to mind, or singing in public or whatever it is. Paragliding was the thing for me.

Once I'd done that, everything else fell into perspective... and "fear" was seen for what it is - an emotion, and nothing more.\

Alternatively - ... miles under your belt. Face the fear and do it anyway - slowly... controlled but start getting there. It's all good.

wysper
16th October 2008, 15:47
Hi

Many thanks
Kel

Hi Kel

PM Qkchk she is a Mentor and is pretty highly spoken of round here.
She might be able to offer some advice and help

Even just a chat with a mentor is well worth it.

good luck

screamer
16th October 2008, 16:03
Hi Kel

PM Qkchk she is a Mentor and is pretty highly spoken of round here.
She might be able to offer some advice and help

Even just a chat with a mentor is well worth it.

good luck

This appears to be the best advice so far.:2thumbsup

Benk
16th October 2008, 16:10
Your so right Nomis. It took alot to put this post up and I truly appreciate everyones helpful words and your honesty.
Cheers

How did you crash? Understanding (I mean really understanding) how you crashed last time will really benefit your confidence. Learn from it, and move on.

The other one would be do a track day. Get a decent lean on and carry some corner speed (after building up to it of course) and you will realise how far within your limits you are riding on the road. Cant recommend this enough.

Its like target fixation, the more you think about crashing the more you will crash, opposite is also true, just be 100% positive your tyres will grip and they will. Create your own reality.

CookMySock
16th October 2008, 17:19
Suggestion - Go on a off road dirt bike tour with some mates for a full day - ride a nice little CRF230 that is easy to handle. You will be so busy laughing with everyone and having a fun time you will be over your fears before you even realise it, and not a corner or roundabout to be seen AT ALL !!

Chances are, when you get back the whole problem has vanished. If not, well just remember theres lots of time so if you are feeling frustrated just leave it for another day.

HTH
Steve

scuzeme
16th October 2008, 17:55
Hi

Many thanks
Kel

Kels

Like everyother thing that scares or hurts us in life the fear and pain will pass eventually, the long black shadow will pass into the night and a new day will dawn someone once said.
You obviously have riding in your veins otherwise you wouldnt have got yourself a new bike.
The first step to the recovery of your confidence is just get on the bloody thing and start riding again or at least as someone has suggested get on the back with someone you trust to ride her..
My wife came off her GN250 months ago and is in the same boat the bike is just sitting there in the garage collecting dust but she wont sell it, in her own time, like you id expect, the will to ride will overcome the fear and in no time the grin will return as your coasting along two wheel style.

Challenge the long black shadow kick that bugger called fear down, just do it mate.

Cheers.

CHOPPA
16th October 2008, 18:04
put some new tyres on that always helps my confidence after a crash, that way in my head it was the tyres fault not mine ;)

Number One
16th October 2008, 18:11
Heaps of people have made really good suggestions so I won't bother making any...what I will say is that I've been there. Took a long break from riding and couldn't see myself having the co-ordination and balls to get back on again but with some encouragement from a few good people I gave it a crack and with each little tootle it got better.

I'm out the other side now and feeling fine...you will get there and it's great when you do. Hang in there and go hard - I look forward to reading that you are feeling fine and laughing about how unconfident you USED to feel :niceone: :rockon:

scuzeme
16th October 2008, 18:15
put some new tyres on that always helps my confidence after a crash, that way in my head it was the tyres fault not mine ;)

Yeah like Prelli Supercorsa 111's Ha ha good advice i can see how that would work dude.

Though my post was more poetic though:laugh:

tommorth
16th October 2008, 18:27
if you can borrow a dirt bike I rekon thats a good way to go then you can fall off a couple of times without geting hurt and get your confidence back

I remember when I was 17 a mate got killed on his bike by a car doing a u turn I couldnt ride for almost a year and when I did get back on I freaked out and almost crashed take it slow and relax

FJRider
16th October 2008, 18:34
I've had a few prangs/offs in my "youth", where I've lost a fair bit of blood, broke a bone or two... OLDER motorcyclists nod and murmer...been there done that, but the want to ride is ALWAYSs there. The confidence lacks though...
Just get on and RIDE. Anywhere there is bugger all traffic/people. ENJOY THE RIDE. Some time, go past where you pranged. The feeling is strange...spooky even... just do it...
Just don't rush it... in YOUR time...

beyond
16th October 2008, 19:09
Sad story but I must say you are not alone.
I agree, that it must have been hard to admit this on a forum and I'm pleased you did cos you have a lot of good answers.

A bin screws everyone up and there is no denying that at all.

I'm fairly experienced and have ridden some huge k's over my life yet my last bin had me riding my bike like a real pussy. It's purely mental because you know you can ride, you know your bike will do what you want and nothing really has changed.

Just get out there. Ride your favourite roads and just start to enjoy the freedom again. It matters not how fast or how slow you go, just get used to pootling around and enjoying being on a bike because quite frankly nothing else is better once you have been bitten by the bug.

You would forever be feeling 'left" out if you gave up altogether so there really is only one answer. You love riding, bikes are under your skin and you are just going to have to get back on board and ride the horse that tossed you.

You can do it and I am sure that you will be 100% within quite a short period of time. You need help or someone to ride with, PM anytime and I'll do my best to work with you.

Tricia1000
16th October 2008, 23:27
If you would like some one to one training, give me a call, and we could set up a confidence builiding session for you. Alternatively, if you fancy doing a basic handling skills course on a gn 125 then that might give you the confidence you need to get back on your 400.
tricia
021 269 3246

Cheers

Pwalo
17th October 2008, 06:41
It is pretty hard to offer useful advice when I don't know you, or your background. People have suggested some pretty useful stuff, but at the end of the day you are just going to have to get out and do it.

If you want someone else around to offer moral support contact one of the mentors, or get a friend to go out with you. It can be sacry, but if you've been riding for a while (seeing as you have a 400), you'll find things come right after a few spins.

I don't think you've lost your nerve, just your confidence.

Blossom
17th October 2008, 07:12
Good on you for pushing past the fear factor.

I am on a similar position but a wee bit further down the track.

To deal with the panic attacks I would sit on the bike for 5mins till my breathing calmed down, then start the bike and wait till my breathing calmed down, then pull out to the end of the driveway and wait till my breath... well you get the idea.. Then rode down to the supermarket/round the block/to the dairy etc. Just short rides to get me going.
The next time it would just be a little bit easier etc. Personally I found being on my own made this process a lot easier. Having someone there telling what I needed to do just made it worse. I felt way too much pressure to go too fast too soon.

Now the only big anxiety I have is on roundabouts and the motorway. I had a lesson on how to ride safely round roundabouts recently and that has helped heaps.
Then the man lured me onto the open road with promise of a weekend away etc and after actually doing that, at my own pace a couple of times, I have to say I feel lots more confident.
Anyway, good for you, there are lots of supportive people out there and you sound like you have done the hardest part already.

Feel free to pm me if you want to chat. (sorry to sound like oprah) You are not alone.

slimjim
17th October 2008, 08:28
Kels.........To ask some of "Jaffa's if they have a spare radio helmet system that they could assit you in to approaching this ....as i'll like you to consider that ..having voice interaction...with the allowance of the other rider been able to listen and talk you though would be a huge help...its also giving the chance of another thought as your breathing and heart start to race...one where you have inter talking..in time that need you be yours and control will have time to allow its self present...:third:

vifferman
17th October 2008, 12:52
...couldn't see myself having the co-ordination and balls to get back on again...
So, where did you get the balls from?
Is there some male somewhere who's stuck at home cooking meals, washing dishes and knitting scarves because you've got his goolies? :confused:

Number One
17th October 2008, 15:01
So, where did you get the balls from?

e-bay is your friend :blip:

Is there some male somewhere who's stuck at home cooking meals, washing dishes and knitting scarves because you've got his goolies? :confused:

Probably :lol: not my man though....sadly (I mean washing dishes and cooking meals - I can do without the knitted scarves) :shutup:

davebullet
17th October 2008, 15:31
Not that I have any more advice to give other than just another person to provide support and to say you can do this. What is great is you are entertaining going back on the bike again. That is really your subconscious telling you you are ready, with your conscious telling you to be careful.

Your subconscious has actually thought more about this... and is right! you are ready and you know you can do this.

I am far from a confident rider, and I find slow maneouvring and round-a-bouts the scariest. What helped me is:
a) trusting your peripheral vision (that is when you enter the roundabout - your eyes have already plotted a path and you won't hit the round-about). As you go through the round-a-bout, your peripheral vision will maintain your line

b) look through the roundabout. For me I look dead ahead going in, then (if a right hand turn), I turn my head to look through the exit about a second or 2 before I commence the turn to the right.

c) Always, always keep your eyes up. You definitely, definitely end up going where you are looking, so by keeping your eyes up - you send the balance signals your body needs to keep its balance, can see ahead and give yourself thinking time for whatever is ahead.

Take it easy, your own pace and do things slowly. Don't beat yourself up when you make the odd mistake, don't go out when you are tired ( I find riding takes a lot of concentration) you will have good days and days you felt you could be better. But... you know your confidence will get better.

All the best,
Dave.

alanzs
17th October 2008, 15:34
You've already conquered the first part of overcoming your fear by realizing you have it and want to change it. :yes: There is much good advice here. Good luck you're going to do fine. If you ever want to ride sometime, let me know.

vgcspares
17th October 2008, 15:37
there was a thread on this subject way back (not sure if on KB) where someone suggested going for rides at 2 in the morning :- empty roads, which made sense to me

Okey Dokey
17th October 2008, 16:11
Try to think of riding as a treat you give yourself. Give yourself lots of praise after going for a ride and tell yourself how well you did. Think to yourself that your skills are getting better each time you go out. Really think positive about the whole bike and riding thing!

As others have said, try to pick good roads with light traffic on sunny days to minimise any distractions. I wish you many safe and wonderful rides.

OutForADuck
17th October 2008, 16:15
I'm impressed already... riding will come and so will relaxing with it.. just keep the wheels spinning at the pace you can handle and you'll be amazed at how fast it all seems ok.

I'm impressed BTW with the obvious courage you have, not too many would be able to call for some support... Fantastic courage right there.

<Rhino>
20th October 2008, 14:18
Make the bike a him, you might be more inclined to ride that!

Sorry couldn't help myself :dodge:

FROSTY
25th October 2008, 12:30
Kels. Lots of folk have offered suggestions.--one or more of em might work for you.
But Heres an offer for ya-- come see me and Jorja with an old jacket helmet and gloves.
We'll haul our boys lil trail bikes out and you can rip around their "track" for a couple of hours. -Its basicly a feild with a few humps n bumps and corners in it
If you feel up to it Ill take ya for a pillion ride on my RF900

Bulletwalla
27th October 2008, 05:36
About 20 something years back I got to the point where I could not turn a corner of go round a bend, just went straight and stopped thankfully on the opposite side of the road. I just did not know how to do it even after riding for 10 years before that.

I stopped riding until 2006 and had to really talk myself through each corner, like having an instructor go through each step and process. It was tuff as I was also learning to ride again after 20 years and a Royal Enfield 500cc in a strange country with the gears on the wrong side. So between changing with my brake and stopping with my gears I just had to get on and do it if I was going to ride through the mountains.

I got through it but still sometimes if I am not talking to myself and cruise off into the distance I can be heading across the road and just getting round the bend on the grass or gravel. I do put it down to substance abuse of course or my brain short circuiting which is one and the same I think or thought I did at the time, maybe. :wacko:

Radar
27th October 2008, 20:22
Then look at going on group rides where you will have support from other fellow riders.

:niceone: Going with a group is one of the best ways to improve your riding skills. Of course you must have the right group - one for beginners that will cruise easily, rather than a fast as hell race group. If you cannot find a group, start your own by asking here on KB for people to join you. Being in Auckland should be no problem in getting a group together, but you may want to choose roads that are not congested and maybe try a Sunday morning when there should be less traffic.

woodybee
27th October 2008, 20:57

sorry be the one to say but get over it and toughen up, how you do that ebats me but you shouldnt ride ( i know you dont yet ) at all until you feel okOi you rotten git, the chick wanted some support, and as for being a danger to herself, I bet you ride like a maniac and scare the shit out of other riders, so cut the chick some slack.

Anyway, you stick at it, read all the encouraging logs, ignore the negative ones, and yup just get on it, early on in the day, when there.s not much about, take a flask and a cooker and plan a morning and snack somewhere beautiful, then it hits you, this is whats it;s all about.

I don't hoon about as that scares the crap out of me, have tried it, didn;t like it, so thats why I have a bonneville, to cruise and look at NZ's fab countryside, so don't be scared, do a bike safety course for sure, get to a track day, to try and smooth out the corner phobia, they teach you some great skills, and have fun:done:

fireliv
27th October 2008, 21:11
Well some time has passed since you made this thread, I hope that you are feeling more confident on your bike and have taken up some of the advice offered. Any updates?

Good luck getting back on the horse, it cant be easy:clap::hug:

jrandom
27th October 2008, 21:14
I am really struggling with enjoying the ride... I have panic attacks everytime I get on her.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Good to see everyone being warm and fuzzy here, but I gotta ask, why are you doing something you hate so much?

Seriously.

We're imperfect, and therefore crashes happen, and sometimes you break bones. Been there, bought the T-shirt.

If that fact puts you off motorcycling, then in my 'umble opinion it's just your eminently sensible brain pointing out that you're taking more risk than you're comfortable with.

Why not take up a hobby that statistics show is less likely to kill you? There's no actual virtue in being on two wheels. The idea of motorcycling and the reality of it sometimes just don't mesh for people. No shame in that.

yungatart
28th October 2008, 07:20
Just because one lacks nerve or confidence to do something, does NOT mean that one hates it, Dan! She wants to ride, just lacks the confidence to do so safely.
Not all of us are born naturals, not all of us can throw our bikes down the road with gay abandon, break bones and then get back on as soon as the casts are off. Some of us actually feel fear and trepidation at the thought, BUT the desire is still there.
Give the girl a break and pull your head in dude!

jrandom
28th October 2008, 07:25
Give the girl a break and pull your head in dude!

Not trying to be negative. I'm just not sure that being pushed onto a motorcycle with all sorts of well-meaning but useless advice is what she really needs, is all.

I mean, if it was me, and I was doing something that was giving me goddamn panic attacks, I'd say "fuck this, I have better things to do with my life".

There's a lot of peace to be found in admitting that something's not for you and moving on. I've seen people not doing that due to pride and stubbornness, and it doesn't make them happy.

gay abandon

Gay?

:girlfight:

vifferman
28th October 2008, 09:29
Dan's point is a goodun, that obviously we hadn't considered. I mean, being bikers, we all tend to think that it's a very good thing, and that people should persist at it. But it may well be that for some people, it's something they're just not suited to, and to persist with it is subjecting themselves to needless unhappiness. People try other things and chuck them in for various reasons - why should motorcycling be any different?
I'm not saying kels is in this boat (on this bike?!?), but like Dan said, it's something for her to consider.

Ixion
28th October 2008, 10:53
But I recall Ms Kels as being a very happy biker in her earlier days. I would distinguish between the person who tries motorcycling and decides "No way, I don't dig this"; and the person who tries it, likes it, then gets a bad fright and can't get back on the horse.

vifferman
28th October 2008, 11:00
But I recall Ms Kels as being a very happy biker in her earlier days. I would distinguish between the person who tries motorcycling and decides "No way, I don't dig this"; and the person who tries it, likes it, then gets a bad fright and can't get back on the horse.
Of course.
I think Mr jrandom's point was that maybe we hadn't considered the other option: that kels deciding not to "get back on the horse" wasn't necessarily a bad choice to make, if it relieved her of much angst.
Fear and loathing in Los Kelsville, and all that....

FROSTY
28th October 2008, 11:13
My answer tou your comment Mr Random would be to say.
You raise a good point BUT
The very fact she is asking for advice to restore her confidence answers the question.

ManDownUnder
28th October 2008, 11:23
The very fact she is asking for advice to restore her confidence answers the question.

Just beat me to it. I know there's a presure to conform with peers, and it might look bad to opt out etc - but having met the person in question I am happy she'd be very comfortable telling anyone trying to pressure her exactly where to get off...

Blossom
28th October 2008, 22:47
I mean, if it was me, and I was doing something that was giving me goddamn panic attacks, I'd say "fuck this, I have better things to do with my life".

each to their own.

Sometimes overcoming those panic attacks is the difference between living your life to the full or merely living.

Personally getting back on a bike was a battle for me too, one I'm winning.
The idea from where I am sitting is to not let these fears stop me from doing what I enjoy cause most of the time they are way way out of proportion to the actual amount of real danger I'm in.
Once I overcome that fear the sense of achievement is incredible, and well worth the effort.

just my 2c worth.

varminter
29th October 2008, 19:07
Ok, my input. Feel the fear and do it anyway. I'm 60, haven't been on two wheels for 40 years, the first few times I went out on the bike I could hardly stop my hands from shaking as I was doing up my helmet (love the gear, no one knows how old I am) but I kept going, now I love it. Stick with it, you will overcome the fear.

doc
29th October 2008, 19:18
I agree with Jrandom :eek:. "It is better to have thought about something and tried than to have thought about something and not tried at all". But maybe its not for you and you have got to question, why you are trying again if you didn't like it the first time. :devil2:

The Pastor
29th October 2008, 23:04
give it a go, you'll be fine. Head along to one of the newbie rides, i think they do them weekly, lots of good advice there.

just start off small, around the block when traffics not so busy. Then keep taking the bike to the shops etc. you'll get back into it no worries!

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 01:40
*reads first 5 posts and skips to reply button*

relax and enjoy the thing!

come round to the uni club; (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=64433) our laid back "when we get there" approach works well for these sorts of things. beers/social on fridays, free mechanical work some weekends and rides of varying pace pretty regularly almost always with a slow cruisy group

ital916
30th October 2008, 10:28
*reads first 5 posts and skips to reply button*

relax and enjoy the thing!

come round to the uni club; (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=64433) our laid back "when we get there" approach works well for these sorts of things. beers/social on fridays, free mechanical work some weekends and rides of varying pace pretty regularly almost always with a slow cruisy group

no offence meant andrew to you or the club but learners have been totally left behind on club rides, I'm mainly referring to coro loops. Maybe an organised learner only ride as the scenic group usually consists of two or three bikes with the rest boosting into the distance.

MSTRS
30th October 2008, 11:03
No disrespect to you Uni guys, but a group ride is no place for a nervous newbie or someone who's lost their confidence. One on one, with a suitable mentor, is the way to go.

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 11:20
no offence meant andrew to you or the club but learners have been totally left behind on club rides, I'm mainly referring to coro loops. Maybe an organised learner only ride as the scenic group usually consists of two or three bikes with the rest boosting into the distance.

i was mainly referring to the chiller and learner rides where me or squigs are present

are you referring to the "fast" (ie, nutter group of cop sweepers) group leaving the "slow" (ie, learners and cruisers) group behind? when was the last time you went riding with squiggles? ehab/dan etc are all nuts and couldn't organise a safe learner ride even when they were learning (though i'd like to be proved wrong)

it's all attitude, and i haven't seen you on a learner ride since... actually i think the the only out of auckland ride i've been on with you, you (it turned out) were still learning quite a bit and had my dad and ixion both travelling with you at your pace throughout the ride were they not?

sure enough you kept her upright, which unfortunately wasn't the norm back then

and i never recommend coro loops to learners - i'm beginning to rep ride organisers in the smc forum to that effect (gotta love the motorb-smc propaganda machine!)

No disrespect to you Uni guys, but a group ride is no place for a nervous newbie or someone who's lost their confidence. One on one, with a suitable mentor, is the way to go.

you're absolutely right - as above, i was mainly referring to our social chiller and the actual learner rides (mentoring before the mentors came out)

we've in the past run some very successful learner rides, just relaxed pace, two experienced riders taking it easy with two or three learners who are beyond the carpark stage

heck i've even run a few dirt bike ones where less stable riders have had a go on dirtbikes to get a bit more confidence/experience with traction loss/falling without fear of road rash or insurance claims - drider included

in fact one of our learner rides was so relaxed, while leading one of them myself (two learners and chrislost following) 12 months ago i fell asleep and demonstrated how to avoid powerpoles before highsiding in a gravel shoulder while doing all of 40kph in an 80kph zone:innocent: - myself learned an important lesson about getting a good night's sleep before a day's ride

Shaun
30th October 2008, 13:21
Hi

Many thanks
Kel

My thoughts

Book your self into a MotoTT track day, and build your confidence up in a safe enviroment with NO tin tops and crap on the raod

Safe Fun Cheap:clap:

ital916
30th October 2008, 22:04
i was mainly referring to the chiller and learner rides where me or squigs are present

you're absolutely right - as above, i was mainly referring to our social chiller and the actual learner rides (mentoring before the mentors came out)

The last ride I went out on was the one where ehab crashed. And the one before that was when ben...gpx dude got left behind by himself...or was that the same ride, and the uni club ride before that I was miles behind but mind you that is cos I don't boost on the straights (and that my bike can't boost).

I was just implying that if you guys organised some good learner ride it would be cool to a lot of newcomers, with the odd coro for experienced fullas.

And I'm gonna set the crash record straight. Four bins, all minor no injuries and lessons well learnt i.e. get good tires, watch front brake on gravel, look through corner(one from dropping it a day after i got it, it wa sheavier than i thought). yup four. I don't count the stationary ones I had when learning to gravel ride in da middle o nowhere. So that umm stacks me up pretty close to you with three motor b, toto has had two, stephens four/three, jafas had is one serious one, hows the arm going by the way jafa, I heard you have another op coming. Hanne has dropped her bike how many times while stationary haha, slyer binned on the way home from picking up his bike, Isaac had a biggie, nishs bike was gone, ehab...well fuck I don't know how many ehabs had, yui who tried to ride to fast and rode into the motorway barrier and also drops the gn everynow and then lol, kyles written off one bike etc etc. So the mythical drider crash rate is actually not as eventful as everyone elses crashes. haha :msn-wink:, see you tomorrow

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 22:45
The last ride I went out on was the one where ehab crashed. And the one before that was when ben...gpx dude got left behind by himself...or was that the same ride, and the uni club ride before that I was miles behind but mind you that is cos I don't boost on the straights (and that my bike can't boost).

dude, ehab always crashes

I was just implying that if you guys organised some good learner ride it would be cool to a lot of newcomers, with the odd coro for experienced fullas.

yeah i got that and you're right - we've been slck lately but not to worry, i've already put up a thread for the next learner ride, first weekend after exams

And I'm gonna set the crash record straight.

four bins in as many months

vs my 3 bins in almost 5 years - with better excuses and witnesses to attest to the facts too :p

course i had the luxury of learning on a dirtbike, while you were on a two stroke for your first bike and really jumped into rides far sooner than you should.

if you didn't keep reminding us about it we wouldn't keep giving you shit about it. just chillax!

yeh see ya at the chillar rather than drag this further OT
:beer:

/smc girltalk

back somewhere in my first few months of potting round the farm i remember i did my self a rather painful (though not serious) injury that had me off for a few weeks. i remember once my foot was all sweet i was scared to get back on, but pretty quickly got myself back into it and never looked back since

that sense of foreboding the first time you hop back on after a painful injury is normal - body thinks "well that hurts so i don't like that; will fear it to keep safe"

stupid body:innocent:

ital916
31st October 2008, 10:32
I wasn't draggin nuthing out haha, you guys keep draggin it out:bleh:, haha,.

I want a dirtbike, mind you I want lots of bikes.

On topic though, hey kels if your still monitoring this thread, that offer of a riding buddy if your keen to do some short rides around town or to the wednesday learner nights is still on. I'm always keen to learn more about my riding.

rocketman1
5th November 2008, 19:28
My advice to you, if you have not done it before is go and ride a dirt bike for awhile.
I fall off several times every ride, some hurt some don't, but it gets you used to falling off.
By doing this you will get courage up to go back on the road and have more experience to control a road bike.
Rossi learnt to slide bikes on the dirt. It doesn't do any harm to transfer that subconcious knowledge to road bikes, after all its the same physics, on road or off.
If you fall off your road bike again I suggest (if you can ) just get back on the thing, learn from the experience, Good luck

jrandom
5th November 2008, 19:57
that offer of a riding buddy if your keen to do some short rides around town or to the wednesday learner nights

Fuxache, she's 43, bro, chase chicks your own age.

kels
13th November 2008, 08:10
Fuxache, she's 43, bro, chase chicks your own age.

LOL ! Im a young 43!

Just needed to say thank you all for your posts. I really appreciate the support and also I appreciate the posts that seemed harsh. Made me sort out what I really want.

And I want to ride again.

I am going to take my Bike out this weekend, I am going to clear my mind and I am going to be riding as I was taught.

Again...thanks so much for the offers of riding buddies, the kind words of encouragement and the support.

Blossom
13th November 2008, 08:31
You go girl!!! :wari::wari::wari:

kels
14th November 2008, 08:44
I DID IT!!!

I rode in to work this morning!!! I loved it!!!

I didn't want to stop, I just wanted to keep on going. I am still going to take up the mentor and riding buddy offers as I know how important it is and the support has made all of the difference.

Thank you everyone for helping me through this, I can't wait to finish work : )

Slyer
14th November 2008, 09:04
Congrats! Keep it up!

CookMySock
14th November 2008, 09:29
Yay! Time helps a lot.

Take care now! No more frights for a while! Theres the whole summer to enjoy yet.

Steve

vifferman
14th November 2008, 09:47
Good stuff, Kels! :niceone:
The weather's starting to get better, so it's a good time to get back into it.

Okey Dokey
15th November 2008, 07:10
Hooray for kels! Very well done girl!

raftn
15th November 2008, 08:18
Good stuff.

Toaster
15th November 2008, 18:35
I DID IT!!!

I rode in to work this morning!!! I loved it!!!

I didn't want to stop, I just wanted to keep on going. I am still going to take up the mentor and riding buddy offers as I know how important it is and the support has made all of the difference.

Thank you everyone for helping me through this, I can't wait to finish work : )

Good stuff!!

If it helps for encouragement read page 30 of the December issue of Bike Rider magazine. Keep riding and keep building that confidence back up :)

cheshirecat
15th November 2008, 19:35
Some time ago i spent almost 3 years despatching in London, 150,000km on a vf500, probably one of the hardest jobs I've ever done. 5 days week 10 hours a day, rain all day, ice and toasting sun. Fell off three times, once in the snow, once on grease on TCR, once in 140km/hour cross wind on London bridge so quite lucky. Everyone else in our company was hospitalised at some stage and they were really good steady riders, (you heard of them going down on the radio) but somehow I wasn't - don't reckon I'm that good a rider, I make so many mistakes, especially now. I remember about once every two weeks a real close one happened, but that bike still had to be ridden to earn the weeks food and rent. The Honda never let me down - ever, sad to have to sell it. I think if your number is up then it doesn't matter what your are doing, walking , driving, biking. Thing is to minimise risks, take emotions out (contradiction of terms with a bike) and look on it as your profession, ie be professional about things, taking pride in your riding skills and road craft. The UK Police riding guide is really good, I took their course when about 18 and it provided really good foundations. I've just got back into bikes and learning all over again - technology has moved on in 20 years, but enjoying every minute despite near misses, some strange NZ traffic laws and even stranger car driving.

I emphasis with what you are going through and this probably won't help you. Everyone is different and that's OK, I just hope you continue to enjoy Bikes again - in your own time, emotions can be trusted.

What I mean is that I had to get on that bike every morning no matter what, I didn't have a choice. You didn't. You had a choice but you rode again. That takes real guts.

Moki
17th November 2008, 12:50
Confidence will come with practice and road time....