PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Hyosung GT650R

Cajun
16th October 2008, 15:29
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Mvhjidbvdzc/SPY9Uhr2_aI/AAAAAAAAIzY/i6VJXGWpOAM/s400/hy11.jpg

The Korea-based S&T Motors Co. Ltd. (formerly Hyosung) has announced its 2009 GT650R, which will now be fitted with a fuel-injection system instead of the earlier carburetor. The bike’s DOHC, 8-valve, liquid-cooled, 647cc v-twin engine is being updated, and will now produce 80bhp and 67Nm of torque – an increase of around 9bhp and 9Nm of torque over the carbureted model.

The Hyosung GT650R, which weighs around 208 kilos, rides on 17-inch wheels, with 120/60 (front) and 160/60 (rear) ZR-rated tyres. The bike is fitted with a six-speed gearbox, adjustable monoshock at the back, USD fork, 300mm twin brake discs at the front (with radial-mount, four-piston calipers) and 230mm rear disc brake. The 2009 GT650R will be priced at around US$6,500.

R6_kid
16th October 2008, 15:38
Huge advancement in design :sleep:

nudemetalz
16th October 2008, 15:44
Still, the 650's are a nice looking machine, and EFI is the way to go.

EJK
16th October 2008, 15:45
I thought it was lighter than 208kgs...

Bonez
16th October 2008, 15:49
I thought it was lighter than 208kgs...Possibly wet weight.

James Deuce
16th October 2008, 15:59
Ooooo Radial Brakes instead of those scooter calipers.

Bonez
16th October 2008, 16:02
Ooooo Radial Brakes instead of those scooter calipers.USDs too:eek:

tri boy
16th October 2008, 17:02
Every year they seem to get better and better.:yes:

CookMySock
16th October 2008, 17:13
I hope they actually put some shims in the fork cartridges this time, and with any luck whoever thought it was smart to make their own rear shock has long gone.

The EFI will get ride of the backfire during start problem.

I was lucky to get mine near-new for 6 grand.

Steve

GSVR
16th October 2008, 20:06
EFI and four pot front brakes are certainly what the bike needed.

Now all they need to do is get rid of the steel frame and replace it with an ally one.

spongebob
16th October 2008, 20:10
thats got to be great bang for buck especialy for those stepping out of the 250 cc bracket

Bonez
17th October 2008, 21:59

Now all they need to do is get rid of the steel frame and replace it with an ally one.Nah keep it steel. They don't like it up um Mr Mainwaring...........

riffer
17th October 2008, 22:02
Nought wrong with a steel frame (said the RF rider).

skidMark
17th October 2008, 23:29
USDs too:eek:

Oh piss off thats my line.

Hey look, it has USD's too, so it must be good. :woohoo:

skidMark
17th October 2008, 23:31
Nought wrong with a steel frame (said the RF rider).

Can't be worse than gsxr's being made from wet handee paper towels.

GSVR
18th October 2008, 22:47
Nah keep it steel. They don't like it up um Mr Mainwaring...........

Is this the Germans or the Koreans. Or is the Hyosung destined to become the weapon of choice for the home guard?

discotex
19th October 2008, 22:03
Interesting... More hp, torque and stopping power should make a huge difference. Starting to look like a real threat to the SV650.

Is it just me or are those tyre sizes wacky?

Brett
19th October 2008, 22:21
bahahaha 80hp and 208 KG? I would rather have a 250cc two stroker. They still have done virtually nothing to change the styling, it still looks like an overfed 250r. Who uses steel frames anymore? That is so 1990's...like, get real girlfriend.

James Deuce
19th October 2008, 22:57
Is it just me or are those tyre sizes wacky?

It's just you. Those tyre sizes are all you need in a decent scratcher.

Brett. I suggest you weigh your Gixer with engine oil, coolant, fuel, fork oil, tool kit, and battery fitted with acid included like Hyosung do. You might get a shock. Japanese manufacturers quoted dry weights are a bit like the Bible. A general guide only.

CookMySock
20th October 2008, 08:01
Nah they are heavy, and they feel heavy too. Picking up an R1 off its stand feels like its made of plastic compared to the GT650R.

I wondered about the front tyre size on mine - it looks tiny, even compared to the GT250R, and its a skittery wee damn thing, gulp. It's not really a learner tyre I think, and its small front trail doesn't assist either, as its twitchy enough in a straight line, but much worse in a deep lean and the steering seems to go very light. I suppose its good training, but it doesnt feel very amusing to ride quickly for a beginner.

Steve

Bob
20th October 2008, 08:51
Reading the comments re: weight and front tyre.

Of weight: as James says, Japs quote dry weight, Hyosung (and I believe BMW, KTM and H-D) quote wet weight - not an issue with H-D perhaps, but still a level of honesty I prefer.

Read Mike Breen's excellent article on the subject here. (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/liestheytellus.htm)

Of course, as DB says, compared to an R1 it IS heavy! But then the R1 sits there at the peak of Yamaha tecnological development, with little spared in the way of cash to put it on the road (well up to a point, it IS there as a mass-produced model, so has to be built to a price). And the Hyosing? Well it is built as a budget machine - and with a steel frame is always going to carry the pounds.

On the front tyre - note from the announcement, Hyosung are running a 17 inch front. DB- does yours feature a 16 inch front? I ask, as I am old enough to have owned pre and post 1994 GPZ500Ss. The pre-94 model ran a 16" front, the post-94 a 17". And the difference in handling was like chalk and cheese. The post-94 model was so much more stable and predictable in corners, the pre-94 was like riding a knife-edge at times.

Hyosung do seem to be getting better and better. What I do still see as a regular gripe in the popular press is the quality of finish. Is this a problem with yours?

If Hyosung get the quality aspect sorted - and if they follow the Korean car makers precident they'll get better - then if they concentrate on going their own way (work in the semi-budget conscious arena, but with a quirky twist), reckon they become a viable alternative.

Get the quality right on the GV650 Aquila and they could tie up the middleweight cruiser market I reckon.

Brett
20th October 2008, 09:16
It's just you. Those tyre sizes are all you need in a decent scratcher.

Brett. I suggest you weigh your Gixer with engine oil, coolant, fuel, fork oil, tool kit, and battery fitted with acid included like Hyosung do. You might get a shock. Japanese manufacturers quoted dry weights are a bit like the Bible. A general guide only.

Yeah I know the cheeky japs love to understate the facts, however my understanding is that tghe published dry weight for my model gixxer is 161kg and the wet weight seemsto knock about the 190-195kg mark. Dyno results I have seen for a stock K4 GSXR 600 seem to indicate around 102 - 105 HP at the wheel, depending on dyno. Overall this makes for quite a difference in power to weight ratio.

I would also hazard a guess that the build quality is superior to the Hyosung...and that is saying something since the gixxer is a Suzuki!!

Haven't ridden a 650r,but would be interested to. Because they are retailed at quite a good price.

discotex
20th October 2008, 09:22
Overall this makes for quite a difference in power to weight ratio.

I think Hyosung is aiming at price/performance ratio rather than power/weight. It's a fair bit of bike for the cash but it's still cheap. Kinda like the Hyundai Coupe.

I would also hazard a guess that the build quality is superior to the Hyosung...and that is saying something since the gixxer is a Suzuki!!

:lol:

Brett
20th October 2008, 09:35
I think Hyosung is aiming at price/performance ratio rather than power/weight. It's a fair bit of bike for the cash but it's still cheap. Kinda like the Hyundai Coupe.

yes and it is certainly a fair sector of the market to try and capture. USD$6.5for a new 600cc biek is not too bad. I will take one for a ride when I get back to nz just to see what they are like. However, I would be surprised if for $7-$8K I could not get a low 2000's 600cc bike that, even second hand, would out perform a new Hyo 650r. WIll have to wait and see I guess.

CookMySock
20th October 2008, 10:20
Hyosung are running a 17 inch front. DB- does yours feature a 16 inch front?Front on mine is a 16 inch. edit: Correction, Its not, its 17 inch.

The pre-94 model ran a 16" front, the post-94 a 17". And the difference in handling was like chalk and cheese. The post-94 model was so much more stable and predictable in corners, the pre-94 was like riding a knife-edge at times.Possibly there was other differences as well, like trail. Yeah mine is a job and a half to control - I put it down to my inexperience, which will be at least 50% of it anyway. It's much less problematic if I get some weight off the side of it.

Hyosung do seem to be getting better and better. What I do still see as a regular gripe in the popular press is the quality of finish. Is this a problem with yours? There are little defects here and there if you look hard, but you need to be closer than a meter. I'm not that picky, and neither is the general public - mine attracts a lot of attention, and all sorts of people stop and look and ask. One person, unable to contain themselves, frowned and declared "what a beeeyoooooootiful motorbike."

Get the quality right on the GV650 Aquila and they could tie up the middleweight cruiser market I reckon.I am surprised the GT hasn't given the SV more of a hurry up. I think people find their roughness a little off-putting, and I think the asshole oldskool bikers do a good job of bashing it, making it an embarrassing and demoralising choice for many.

See this expired trademe advert for a GT650R racebike. Yeah sure, they guy is trying to sell it, but he has some quite positive comments. I wonder where this bike is these days.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=86666840

Steve

CookMySock
20th October 2008, 10:26
low 2000's 600cc bike that, even second hand, would out perform a new Hyo 650r. WIll have to wait and see I guess.I can gaurantee you that it will. Almost any 600cc inline four will smoke a 650 vtwin, but there is more to life etc.

Steve

xwhatsit
20th October 2008, 11:07
Front on mine is a 16 inch. Thats interesting they have gone to a larger front wheel - I wonder what else is different.
Are you sure it's 16"? Everywhere I've looked says the GT650Rs (in fact all of the GTs) are 17", front and back. Even the tyre sizes are the same as the 2009 model.

It would be very strange and quaint indeed if they had used a 16" front.

And there's nothing wrong with the sizes of those tyres anyway. 120/60 for a front -- fark -- that's bigger than the rear of a CB750, innit? How much power are you putting through it man?

CookMySock
20th October 2008, 11:57
Are you sure it's 16"? Everywhere I've looked says the GT650Rs (in fact all of the GTs) are 17", front and back. Even the tyre sizes are the same as the 2009 model.Well I was, but I was wrong. It's a 17". /fail

And there's nothing wrong with the sizes of those tyres anyway. 120/60 for a front -- fark -- that's bigger than the rear of a CB750, innit? How much power are you putting through it man?How much power through the front wheel? Heeeeeps bro! :laugh:

Steve

xwhatsit
21st October 2008, 12:16
Well I was, but I was wrong. It's a 17". /fail

How much power through the front wheel? Heeeeeps bro! :laugh:

Steve

Not with the famous Hyodung wooden brakes, izzit? :sweatdrop

CookMySock
21st October 2008, 13:28
Not with the famous Hyodung wooden brakes, izzit? :sweatdropDunno mate. I squeeze the fuckers harrrrd, and it stops way more quickly than I am comfortable with. I guess the lever travel and force required could be lowered a bit, but that is fixed easily and cheaply with sintered pads and braided brake lines - trivial. But yeah I applaud the new models braking system.

Most of their faults are simple mods - pads, brake lines, cartridges, er not much else required to totally transform the bike, just like any bike. It IS a bit shocking just how poor the OEM bits are, like the rear shock is not very amusing at all on a trip.

I was gunna quit mine and get on older R1 or similar this summer, but I'll keep it, and do some work on it and see how it come out. It's just too interesting and unique, and stirs up too much attention. Its fun.

Steve

Tank
22nd October 2008, 05:58
I was gunna quit mine and get on older R1 or similar this summer, but I'll keep it, and do some work on it and see how it come out. It's just too interesting and unique, and stirs up too much attention. Its fun.

Steve

You decided against the R1 because the HoBag is "interesting and unique"?

hayd3n
22nd October 2008, 06:22
hehe my old yzf is 83 and its still all factory
might be better now that the carbys are clean

Brett
22nd October 2008, 07:21
I can gaurantee you that it will. Almost any 600cc inline four will smoke a 650 vtwin, but there is more to life etc.

Steve

I did mean in more ways than just power. I mean as a wholistic package. However I do stand to be corrected. I will try one when I get back to NZ and make comment then. Whether I eat my words or not I will stand to see.

jrandom
22nd October 2008, 07:24
I can gaurantee you that it will. Almost any 600cc inline four will smoke a 650 vtwin, but there is more to life etc.

Have you ridden any 600cc inline fours?

CookMySock
22nd October 2008, 07:51
Have you ridden any 600cc inline fours?Not modern ones. Something just triggered my setup detector.

Steve

Tank
22nd October 2008, 07:58
Not modern ones. Something just triggered my setup detector.

Steve

Something just triggered - I talk nonsense without any experience or knowledge to back it up detector.

HungusMaximist
22nd October 2008, 12:52
Can't say much about the GT650R but I I had a 03 GT250.

It was good for what it is but only was good beacause it was cheap to run, reasoanbly comfy, looked and sounded big (with a aftermarket can of course).

Don't think I will go back to Hyosung though..

boomer
22nd October 2008, 13:02
bahahaha 80hp and 208 KG? I would rather have a 250cc two stroker.

I'm with you on that one.

Something just triggered - I talk nonsense without any experience or knowledge to back it up detector.

ahahah BUSTED !

from my perspective, you'd only buy a 650 Hyobag if you had little or no experience with bikes.

zeocen
22nd October 2008, 15:39
I don't know about being *smoked*, but I could gaurantee my '650 twin' giving a 600 IL4 a run for it's money up to about 80 - 110kmph.

*dry humps 600 twin*

hayd3n
22nd October 2008, 15:43
I don't know about being *smoked*, but I could gaurantee my '650 twin' giving a 600 IL4 a run for it's money up to about 80 - 110kmph.

*dry humps 600 twin*

hymm in first or 2nd gear mine does 100 in first

Tank
22nd October 2008, 15:56
hymm in first or 2nd gear mine does 100 in first

ummm I got a 1000cc - so it does ummm, like, 150 in Netural.

hayd3n
22nd October 2008, 16:00
ummm I got a 1000cc - so it does ummm, like, 150 in Netural.

nice!!! youll save on cluch that way lol

rphenix
23rd October 2008, 16:45
Can't say much about the GT650R but I I had a 03 GT250.

It was good for what it is but only was good beacause it was cheap to run, reasoanbly comfy, looked and sounded big (with a aftermarket can of course).

Don't think I will go back to Hyosung though..

Even between 06-07 there's a few improvements so I imagine compared to the 03 models there's quite a lot.

Roki_nz
24th October 2008, 11:34

Yeap Only been $9000 would be a selling point for me

Tank
24th October 2008, 12:13
Yeap Only been $9000 would be a selling point for me

Just remember that the purchase price is not always a good indicator of 'being cheap'. Depreciation when you sell it is a killer.

Some new new ho'bags are dropping 30+ % as you drive them off the lot. All bikes depreciate - but some more than others.

I was lucky to get mine near-new for 6 grand.

Steve

When I traded my 'zuki I 8 months old with 8000km on the clock I got $500 less than what I paid for it new.

This isn't of course saying that all Suzuki's hold value or that all Hobags drop it (I'm sure that there is a huge variation between models from the same manufacturer also) - but it is something that is worth investigating before buying a bike if the sticker price is a selling point for you.

xwhatsit
24th October 2008, 14:01
I See Nothing Wrong With Hyosungs And Consider Some Of Them My Dearest Friends.

jrandom
24th October 2008, 14:04
hold value

What is this 'hold value'?

:blink:

In my world, you buy bike, ride bike until bike drops dead a quarter million kilometres later (in the case of a Suzuki) or significantly earlier than that (in the case of a Hobag), then rinse and repeat.

If you want to trade cash for something that 'holds value', I'm sure I can find you the phone number of a bullion broker.

imdying
24th October 2008, 16:41
Who uses steel frames anymore? That is so 1990's...like, get real girlfriend.Open mouth after engaging brain. (http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2008/ModelPage.jhtml?family=DesmosediciRR&model=D16RR-08)

Tank
24th October 2008, 17:44
What is this 'hold value'?

:blink:

In my world, you buy bike, ride bike until bike drops dead a quarter million kilometres later (in the case of a Suzuki) or significantly earlier than that (in the case of a Hobag), then rinse and repeat.

If you want to trade cash for something that 'holds value', I'm sure I can find you the phone number of a bullion broker.

When starting out in biking you can end up changing bikes several times while you learn what kind of biking you like.

In the last 12 months I've had:

A GN250 - very cheap new bike to see if I liked riding - Not my ideal bike to keep for 250k km

A M50 - I loved - until I decided I wanted to see more of the 'off the beaten track' and that my bike wasnt ideal for doing gravel road riding.

The V-Strom. At this point - I can really see myself keeping this one and running it till dont go no more.

McJim
24th October 2008, 17:53
I would still rather have a 10 year old Ducati 600/750/900ss than a brand new Hyosung. Cheaper too. Proper steel frame (chrome, molybdenum, manganese etc.....none of this cheesy pig iron mind you!), USD Forks, Brembo Brakes, named suspension!....and you get to keep your self respect! :rofl:

Seriously though, I'm glad people buy these bikes - it makes me feel so....well....superior :Pokey:

I can't believe that the Hyosung 250 owners put up with 4,000km service intervals and the 650 put up with 6,000 km intervals - My old bike has service interval of 10,000km and the new ones are 12,000km....cheap to run and fix are Ducatis.

Hillbilly
15th November 2008, 02:46

Now all they need to do is get rid of the steel frame and replace it with an ally one.

The steel trellis frame of the GT-650X should do the trick.

CookMySock
15th November 2008, 07:34
The steel trellis frame of the GT-650X should do the trick.Yeh that looks nice dunnit. I wonder how much I can import one for.. :whistle: Should I bring in an RX450SM too? :whistle:

DB

James Deuce
15th November 2008, 07:58
Should I bring in an RX450SM too? :whistle:

DB

Yeah, go on, I dare you! :)

CookMySock
15th November 2008, 08:36
Yeah, go on, I dare you! :)Yeah but I'd take it out of the box and put its front wheel on wouldn't I.. There goes a grand off its resale value.. :pinch:

DB

DarkLord
15th November 2008, 23:41
I wonder what the stock tyres are like on this bike. I hope it's not Shinkos and that they have some decent rubber on there......

Tank
16th November 2008, 09:24
Yeah but I'd take it out of the box and put its front wheel on wouldn't I.. There goes a grand off its resale value.. :pinch:

DB

If you were worried about resale - you wouldn't have purchased a Ho'Bag.

CookMySock
16th November 2008, 09:33
I wonder what the stock tyres are like on this bike. I hope it's not Shinkos and that they have some decent rubber on there......The '05 NZ GT650R came out with bridgestones on it. Dunno about the new ones.

Steve

DarkLord
10th February 2009, 09:35
Has anyone had the chance to take one of these out for a ride? I'm curious about the build quality on these bikes. I'd really like to hear the opinion of someone who has ridden both the GT250R and the GT650R.

I really noticed the difference when I hopped on my mates '03 Bandit 1200 and took that for a ride - the build quality was just SO much better than the Hyo, it felt like a cheaply put together piece of crap once I got back on it, in comparison to the Bandit.

Would be interesting to hear people's thoughts....