PDA

View Full Version : Utah introduces “size-graded” motorcycle tests

Bob
17th October 2008, 00:08
Utah motorcyclists must now pass a test, based on the capacity of machine they wish to ride.

Previously, all bikers had to do was qualify on a bike over 90cc to ride any capacity of machine (less than 90cc meant being restricted to that capacity). Now, further divisions have been added; 249cc, 649cc and ‘street legal ATVs’.

BASS-TREBLE
17th October 2008, 06:58
‘street legal ATVs’.

That must sound weird to lots of people on here but its quite common in europe.
My uncle for example rides a 600 quad along the Autobahn, legally.

Stuff getting hit on that, probably trap you under it too.

slimjim
17th October 2008, 08:47
saw a photo in brm rider wondered "WTF"..street legal....shit..autobahn...double shit..

CookMySock
17th October 2008, 09:00
My uncle for example rides a 600 quad along the Autobahn, legally.Yeah that sounds, how shall we say? "fucking dangerous?" :laugh: It ocurred to me to put road tyres on a quad and ride it on the road, and I got laughed at.. :whistle:

Well their graduated scheme sounds much like ours, except with the addition of the quad.

Steve

Swoop
17th October 2008, 11:22
The amount of "squidness" is increasing and the merkin's are unable to prevent a noob on a 1000cc sprotbike from going "splat".
Possibly long overdue.

GrayWolf
21st October 2008, 23:41
I also think it's long overdue. As well as compulsory insurance for ALL vechiles.
Yeh I know here goes one of the crusty old B*****ds moaning again.
Simple truth is, bikes are quicker, we can now go faster than race bikes of 25-30 years ago on production machines. There is a higher density of traffic worldwide. We have cars that are as fast as bikes in far greater numbers due to jap imports and disposable income for youngsters.
The missing factor is??? Humans are still no faster/quicker/knowledgable as novices/intermediate riders than they were back 30 yrs ago. Europe has a stepped licence system. It's going to end up as a worldwide policy in the end.
Either that or horsepower limits will be invoked, a la Germany.

BASS-TREBLE
22nd October 2008, 07:16
Either that or horsepower limits will be invoked, a la Germany.

34Hp I think it is.
They actually thought about it because you still have the torque to keep up with others but acceleration is limited.

All they do is insert something in the exhaust but with a big bike you'd still have all of the torque.

jrandom
22nd October 2008, 07:18
Dad-gum Mormons, infringing a man's God-given right to kill himself on a Hayabusa!

That shit's gotta be unconstitutional.