PDA

View Full Version : Needing advice on bikes please

DanBradbury
17th October 2008, 09:00
Hi I am traveling in New Zealand until September 2009. I am looking for a way to travel round the country and decided between a car or a motorbike. I would prefer to travel on a motorbike but I am unsure of where to find a shop to buy a set of leathers/textiles and helmet etc. I have around $2000-$2500 to spend on a bike and kit.

Can anyone suggest a bike that would be suitable to take a rucksack strapped to the back, or make suggestions on how best to travel on a motorbike, or if its not very feasible then tell me to get a car (hoping this wont be the case)!!

I am looking for a bike around 250cc, the Suzuki GN250 looked like a good option, any thoughts on this.

I am currently in Whataroa and I will be here until around Christmas as I have a job on a dairy farm. If anyone could point me in the direction of a second hand dealer or a shop to buy the clothing/helmets etc I would really apreciate it.

Sorry for such a long first post!
Dan

Bend-it
17th October 2008, 12:45
Yikes... it'll be at least $800 for gear. There are shops around with $500 deals for jacket, pants, boots and gloves, (you will be going cordura at that price) and $300 for a cheap helmet, which leaves 1200 - 1700 for a 250 that will take you around NZ with minimum maintenance hassles... it'll be a stretch...

pete376403
17th October 2008, 18:22
TradeMe.co.nz has heaps of gear available for sale

dave_ali@xtra.co.nz
17th October 2008, 18:29
Look on trade me for your gear. cheap is fine as long as you are dry. Also look for your bike there. Plenty of trail bikes would do the job too. Sounds like you are limited to 250 cc or less. Shame , more choice in bigger bikes

Blackbird
17th October 2008, 18:38
Hi I am traveling in New Zealand until September 2009. I am looking for a way to travel round the country and decided between a car or a motorbike. I would prefer to travel on a motorbike but I am unsure of where to find a shop to buy a set of leathers/textiles and helmet etc. I have around $2000-$2500 to spend on a bike and kit.

Can anyone suggest a bike that would be suitable to take a rucksack strapped to the back, or make suggestions on how best to travel on a motorbike, or if its not very feasible then tell me to get a car (hoping this wont be the case)!!

I am looking for a bike around 250cc, the Suzuki GN250 looked like a good option, any thoughts on this.

I am currently in Whataroa and I will be here until around Christmas as I have a job on a dairy farm. If anyone could point me in the direction of a second hand dealer or a shop to buy the clothing/helmets etc I would really apreciate it.

Sorry for such a long first post!
Dan

You might want to send a message to fellow KB'er Atmonauti (Dan) just for a general perspective discussion on touring NZ by bike. Dan is over from Canada and is doing what you want to do, albeit on a 400cc trail bike. He might have some good stuff to pass on and he's a top guy.

tate35
17th October 2008, 19:47
Hi Dan,

Try www.trademe.co.nz for bikes and bike gear - cheapest option. GN250 great choice of bike - I have one of them and they are the BEST :)

Good luck hope you find something suitable

DanBradbury
17th October 2008, 20:53
Thanks for all the reply's. How much would be a reasonable amount to budget for gear and a bike?

I am restricted to 33BHP/25Kw so I need to take that into consideration. I could buy a bigger bike and get it restricted but thats another cost.

All advice is apreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Jerry74
17th October 2008, 20:57
Pop over to ChCh there is lots of choices here, trade me may be a go to as you may find something to be posted or freighted to you

DanBradbury
17th October 2008, 21:46
Pop over to ChCh there is lots of choices here, trade me may be a go to as you may find something to be posted or freighted to you

Getting to ChCh is easier said than done. I would have to get a bus and I get Saturday and Sunday off work, getting back to Whataroa (the middle of know where) on a Sunday is near impossible.:argh:

DanBradbury
18th October 2008, 16:03
Yikes... it'll be at least $800 for gear. There are shops around with $500 deals for jacket, pants, boots and gloves, (you will be going cordura at that price) and $300 for a cheap helmet, which leaves 1200 - 1700 for a 250 that will take you around NZ with minimum maintenance hassles... it'll be a stretch...

Hi again, I have spoken to my 'rents back home in the UK and they are willing to post out my boots, trousers and jacket. So I would be able to spend the $2000-$2500 on a helmet, gloves and a bike. I may be able to get more money to spend for the right bike/kit.

Can anyone recommend any bikes?

Thanks,
Dan

NighthawkNZ
18th October 2008, 16:17
Hi again, I have spoken to my 'rents back home in the UK and they are willing to post out my boots, trousers and jacket. So I would be able to spend the $2000-$2500 on a helmet, gloves and a bike. I may be able to get more money to spend for the right bike/kit.

Can anyone recommend any bikes?

Thanks,
Dan

What type of touring you want to do... mainly on the tar seal and the main centres... adventure riding seeing all the back country or bit of both...????

DanBradbury
18th October 2008, 17:00
What type of touring you want to do... mainly on the tar seal and the main centres... adventure riding seeing all the back country or bit of both...????

Well I have got until September 2009 in New Zealand and I would like to see as much of this beatuiful country as I can. I would like to see the back country and the main centre.