PDA

View Full Version : Applying for work visa when already in NZ?

Bikernereid
18th October 2008, 20:40
Well the NZ high commission in London was about as much use as a fart in a thunder storm. You send them a nice letter with very easy to understand numbered questions and get back an unsigned compliment slip with nothing of any use on it.

I have been advised to apply for my work visa when I get to NZ as it is suposed to be easier than applying in the UK. I have a job provisionally lined up but obviously can only be an 'unpaid trainee' until I have a visa. How easy are work visas to obtain, how long does it take and what would I need to have to apply for the visa (obviously I will be bringing all my uni certs etc).

Does anyone know if you can easily apply for a work visa when in NZ on a tourist visa and if you can leave NZ during your the 6 months tourist visa time and re-enter. I also want to know if I can get 2x6 month tourist visa one after the other.

Any help would be great. Cheers me dears.

portokiwi
19th October 2008, 15:52
My wife took just over 7 weeks to get her visa here in New Zealand. well she got a work permit first as we did not put in the correct money:doh:
$200 less.
The problem with that was if she left the country she would have to start from scratch again.
She now has a work visa so we co go over seas on holidays,:Punk:
without her having to reaply for her job.
The visa lasts 2 years from the time you enter the country.
We have allready started the process for residenty. As this can take over 12 months to proccese.
(she wants to keep her Portuguese passport).
Here is the nz link
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/
you will need a current police clearence.

portokiwi
19th October 2008, 16:10
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/overseasdrivers/
read this you might like it.
My wife just had to show her Portuguese do the eyesite test pay $49 I think it was and she got her full licence

RantyDave
19th October 2008, 17:03
I employed an Italian guy once and we just trucked down to immigration with his job offer letter and told them to get the fuck on with it. Which they did. I also helped an American guy move here for a while and he pulled the same trick. Both were in computing, however, and were on some kinda list - I don't know if the list still exists or it's likely utility when applying for a job.

So, FWIW, I've seen this work right in front of my eyes twice and have seen it work indirectly maybe a dozen times? Probably all in the geeking arts though.

Dave

Bikernereid
19th October 2008, 20:43
My wife took just over 7 weeks to get her visa here in New Zealand. well she got a work permit first as we did not put in the correct money:doh:
$200 less.
The problem with that was if she left the country she would have to start from scratch again.
She now has a work visa so we co go over seas on holidays,:Punk:
without her having to reaply for her job.
The visa lasts 2 years from the time you enter the country.
We have allready started the process for residenty. As this can take over 12 months to proccese.
(she wants to keep her Portuguese passport).
Here is the nz link
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/
you will need a current police clearence.

I do not want to apply for any work permit from the UK I want to apply once I am in NZ. The problem I have us that the qualification I hopefully will have soon is not recognised in NZ and therefore is not on the wanted list.

I arrive in Jan and want to know how easy/hard it will be to get a work visa once I am there. My partner will sponsor me but he can't do that until May when we will have been living together for a year.

I have read the immigration pages so many time but it has nothing you can access about applying once you are in NZ (pages are always down). I can come into the country for 6 months on a tourist visa but obviously can't work. I will need to work for my sanity!!

Conquiztador
19th October 2008, 21:03
I do not want to apply for any work permit from the UK I want to apply once I am in NZ. The problem I have us that the qualification I hopefully will have soon is not recognised in NZ and therefore is not on the wanted list.

I arrive in Jan and want to know how easy/hard it will be to get a work visa once I am there. My partner will sponsor me but he can't do that until May when we will have been living together for a year.

I have read the immigration pages so many time but it has nothing about applying once you are in NZ. I can come into the country for 6 months on a tourist visa but obviously can't work. I will need to work for my sanity!!

You can stay on a tourist visa in NZ for 12 months out of 24. That means one month here, one out infinitum or 12 months here and then 12 out. Or any mix in between.

If your qualification is not recognised in NZ then it does not count. You will need to have the qualification acesses here. That can take a while. I know ppl who have waited for 12 months...

When you arrive there is a shortage of seasonal workers. Orchards, wineries etc. You find a place that wants you (very easy!) and they help you get a work permit. Takes about a week. But you can only work for that place on that permit.

NZ has a short list of qualifications needed. This changes now and then. If you have one of the qualifications you can cut heaps of the red tape.

If you find a employer who has advertised but can't find anyone that wants the job and you are prepared to take it, then by proving that he has advertised, but no suitable NZ resident has replied, he can employ you and you will get a work visa.

When in NZ and while you have no work permit/visa you can apply for a IRD number and you will get it almost straight away. Then if you find someone who wants to employ you and they do not worry re permits or visas you can be employed. (No IRD number, no work) Not legal and I did not tell you that...

Good Luck

Charlie41
19th October 2008, 21:13
I arrived in NZ with a vistor visa and then applied for my work permit. I got it 3 or 4 weeks later. Just make sure that all your paperwork is current when you get here and that you have the right documentation.
Do apply for a work visa at the same time, otherwise you can't leave NZ and return to continue working...

scracha
28th October 2008, 18:58
See if you're eligible for the skilled migrant visa. They process these in super quick time. You're leaving it all rather late though no?

426crasher
4th November 2008, 21:19
My partner will sponsor me but he can't do that until May when we will have been living together for a year.

Are your domestic bills, mortgage etc in joint names. Immigration used to count it as NOT a valid relationship unless bills and the like were in joint names. Might be not an issue but might be worth checking. Definately better to come over and get work permits here. It's a whole heap easier to work with government departments when your here rather than back in the UK. Six month tourist visas can be extended if you have a work permit. Residency visas can be had as quick as 3 months but better count on around 12 months. We moved here 6 years ago but came already armed with unconditional residency visas so we just got off the plane and did nothing for 6 months. Pommies usually find jobs uite easily here as the Kiwis seem to like our work ethics!
Cheers Tony.
PS it's brill here.... well especially in the south island.

Bikernereid
11th November 2008, 09:18
I arrived in NZ with a vistor visa and then applied for my work permit. I got it 3 or 4 weeks later. Just make sure that all your paperwork is current when you get here and that you have the right documentation.
Do apply for a work visa at the same time, otherwise you can't leave NZ and return to continue working...

Thanks mate. That is really quick, but what field do you work in?

Bikernereid
11th November 2008, 09:19
See if you're eligible for the skilled migrant visa. They process these in super quick time. You're leaving it all rather late though no?

They do not have my MSc in NZ!! I can come for 6 months as a Pommie so that gives me a little breathing space.

Bikernereid
11th November 2008, 09:29
Are your domestic bills, mortgage etc in joint names. Immigration used to count it as NOT a valid relationship unless bills and the like were in joint names. Might be not an issue but might be worth checking. Definately better to come over and get work permits here. It's a whole heap easier to work with government departments when your here rather than back in the UK. Six month tourist visas can be extended if you have a work permit. Residency visas can be had as quick as 3 months but better count on around 12 months. We moved here 6 years ago but came already armed with unconditional residency visas so we just got off the plane and did nothing for 6 months. Pommies usually find jobs uite easily here as the Kiwis seem to like our work ethics!
Cheers Tony.
PS it's brill here.... well especially in the south island.

Hey Tony,

We have a bike and car in joint name and the car insurance has both names on. We don't have any bills so that is a pain and a half. We do have lots of pics of us all round Europe and in the UK. We shall have loads more after Xmas with my family and NY with mates in Belgium. All of this helps.

Shane is a Kiwi so hopefully that should count!!

I have contacts in my chosen field and have the chance of a job but need work permit first. I think it is easier for me to get it sorted there I guess from what everyone has been saying. My experience of the NZ High Commission in London was not favourable at all, hopefully the immigration office in Aukland will be better- have heard good things.

Fingers crossed and where are you in the South Island exactly?

Finn
11th November 2008, 09:36
My next ex is Brazilian and is here on a student visa (chuckle chuckle, like em young, chuckle) and she wants to stay here now because of me which I don't really understand but will go along with it. Talked to an immigration lawyer and they quoted me 7 - 10k to get full residence! Yeah right.

Anyone know any reasonable lawyers? I know that's an oxymoron but you get my drift.

nodrog
11th November 2008, 09:55
My next ex is Brazilian and is here on a student visa (chuckle chuckle, like em young, chuckle) and she wants to stay here now because of me which I don't really understand but will go along with it. Talked to an immigration lawyer and they quoted me 7 - 10k to get full residence! Yeah right.

Anyone know any reasonable lawyers? I know that's an oxymoron but you get my drift.

fark thats an expensive update!

did you mention that she was already in New Zealand, and wouldn't need shipping in a hidden compartment with 75 others, in the engine room of an oil tanker?

Finn
11th November 2008, 09:58
did you mention that she was already in New Zealand, and wouldn't need shipping in a hidden compartment with 75 others, in the engine room of an oil tanker?

She's not from the Amazon. No bush at all.

Stirts
11th November 2008, 10:11
I have contacts in my chosen field and have the chance of a job but need work permit first. I think it is easier for me to get it sorted there I guess from what everyone has been saying. My experience of the NZ High Commission in London was not favourable at all, hopefully the immigration office in Aukland will be better- have heard good things.

There are a number of work visas/permits you can apply for depending on your circumstances (work to residence, skilled migrant, talent visa, blah blah). And it is easier to apply once you are here. When you apply for a position in NZ, some employers will/can assist you to get your visa, and certainly if they are an "accredited" business with NZ Immigration, however there is certain criteria that you need to meet for that - salary bracket mainly.

If you do have a job lined up, get your employer to write a letter to NZ Immigration stating your commencement date, tenure of employment, and salary details. This should be attached to your visa/permit application along with, position description (if there is one), and terms and conditions of employment. This can fast track things for you.

Dont stress too much about getting an IRD number either, you can't get one until you have a work visa/permit. Your employer can pay a new employee twice before the shit hits the fan.

I will see if I can find my contact at NZ Immigration in Aucks for you....give me a day or so, then I will PM you....mmmmmkay

portokiwi
11th November 2008, 10:38
Yes dont get a work permit go just for the work visa, about $200 more but it gives you the freedom to travel.
once in nz go in stright away and apply. normaly about 4-6 weeks tp proccess.
When you get here if you are renting get them to put the rental in both your names, apply for flybuys card and any shop cards so that when they send out your card and letter it will have your name and address on them.
Put all your photos on a CD as that helps with the proccesing.
We have applied for perm resident for Gabby now as that takes at least 12 months to proccess. She started like you with no work permit or visa.
So dont give up.:Punk:

slimjim
11th November 2008, 11:53
and i'll not trust any officals down this way..cause they will more than likely tell you to bugger off oversea's and reapply..then say nope...so go carefully with any nz offical..here or over there...

portokiwi
11th November 2008, 11:56
And remember to to have an up to date police clearance to hand in.

Stirts
11th November 2008, 12:03
and i'll not trust any officals down this way..cause they will more than likely tell you to bugger off oversea's and reapply..then say nope...so go carefully with any nz offical..here or over there...

That's part of their training procedure for any govt dept employee is it not? Tell you one thing one day, and something completely different the next!!

slimjim
11th November 2008, 12:09
That's part of their training procedure for any govt dept employee is it not? Tell you one thing one day, and something completely different the next!!

:crybaby::crybaby:saddly this is so very "True"

Bikernereid
12th November 2008, 00:39
And remember to to have an up to date police clearance to hand in.

That is on my list of things to do but as it has to be within the last 3 months I thought that i would leave it a little longer before asking for it so that it covers me for longer when I arrive in NZ.

426crasher
13th November 2008, 18:20
.... where are you in the South Island exactly?[/QUOTE]

I'm in Christchurch. Feel free to get in touch if you end up in this fair city.

Cheers Tony.