PDA

View Full Version : Two perfect bikes

ital916
18th October 2008, 21:08
Well, today was a great biking day. Spent the whole day test riding bikes :love:, specifically the virago XV250 and the vl250 intruder. This is my little spool on both these bikes. (I've decided to put the thread here as learners wanting a cruiser will have less trouble finding it than sorting through product reviews). First off I will have to say that both of these bikes represent great value for money at $6000 give or take a little + on road costs.

Intruder 250 vs Virago 250 -Aesthetics and ergonomics:

When I stood next to the intruder, I couldn't believe how nice it looked. I know it may sound vain but the way a bike looks I believe plays a large part in not only my biking decisions but others too and this bike looks shit hot. Everything you would want in a little cruiser. Plenty of chrome and a "big bike" image, with plenty of onlookers having a double take when I went zipping past. Nice touches like tank mounted indicator signals whilst looking cool and keeping the family resmblence to its bigger brothers alive were functionally annoying requiring even a medium height rider like myself to look away from the road to check indicators etc. The controls on the other hand were well spaced and clear to use, with the bars allowing a comfortable reach without cramping or outstretching ones arms. I found the pegs to be quite nice and not difficult to ride with at all. Coming from sports bikes I did do a few flails trying to find pegs at times but adapted quickly enough, although I do believe short riders might strain a little at times. The entire bike gives off an air of cool..if that makes sense :laugh: and is pretty well put together bar some dodgy plastic.

Ergonomically the seat is very plush, with the height difference between the rider and pillion seat acting as a mino backrest, allowing the rider to really relax into the riding position. The clutch was very light and didn't feel uncomfortable or overly straining to constantly pull in and out.

The virago, again like the intruder looked very very nice. Whilst not as large as the intruder, which is longer and wider, still holds its own *note there is an XVs250 Dragstar version which is in the size and chrome league of the intruder, but costs a few grand more*. It would be a fantastic bike for a smaller rider who finds the intruders ergonomics a bit stretched. The virago has a more "old school" chopper/bobber look, with its skinnier profile and smaller bulk. The tear drop tank is lovely and overall really adds to its classic lines. Ergonomically wise, I found the virago a bit more cramped with its mini apes definately needing to be changed out if I was to ride it every day. The instrument panel was much nicer to use in my opinion allowing more time to be spent watching the road and enjoying the scenery.

The pegs on the virago are set a bit closer to the rider again making it a bit better for the shorter rider but not by a great margin. The viragos felt higher than the intruders but seeing as both these bikes are ridiculously low to the ground, I cannot see many people having difficulty with having both feet planted. The viragos pillion seat though does not provide as great a backrest effect as the inturders, but this would only be slightly noticeable on a long ride.

Intruder vs virago motor:

For their intended market, I believe both these bikes have bloody fantastic motors, with enough low down juice to keep learner and intermediate riders satisfied and a top end that will allow cruising at a comfortable speed of around 120.

The intruders motor seems to hum along quite happily in any situation. Docile is the best word to describe it with a smooth power delivery and hardly any noticeable vibration; akin to riding a seti with wheels, comfy and planted.

The virago had the nippier of the two motors. I found the virago had a bit more vibration but felt like it had a bit more get up and go too. Give it a squirt of the throttle and you were off. I'm guessing it could be from the different design, i.e. the lightweight chopper style of the yammy compared to the planted muscle cruiser style of the suzuki but whatever it was the virago was fun! Who says you need 200hp for fun :laugh:.

Around town both bikes are fantastic and motorway riding was a breeze. The planted feel of the intruder did get me off guard though. With a heavier feeling front end than the virago I felt that the intruder needed a little more planning for tight turns, with the virago being the more fun of the duo to thrown around. In the end both bikes will be fantastic through twisties and once loaded up will make great tourers...if you have the balls lol.

So, if any learners are looking for two great cruisers then definately consider these two. Theres also the hyosung aquila gv250 but that will have to be tested another day haha. As far as bang for your buck goes both bikes offer plenty of features and bucket loads of fun.

For those that are interested, the aftermarket accessories for the bikes are pretty good too, with the intruder ever having footboards available for pillion and the rider.

If only i could have a cruiser and a sports bike :laugh:, then I'd have a night rod special (I don't need no stinking ground clearance)

Virago
18th October 2008, 21:25
Well written review.

I have not ridden a 250 Intruder, so it was most interesting to read a comparison with the Virago.

A shame you couldn't have ridden them back-to-back with the Hyosung, which I believe is a different ride again.

The Virago is showing it's age now, out of step with the current "fat and heavy" fashion. It's good that it is still there as a styling choice though.

Cheers.

ital916
18th October 2008, 21:36
Well written review.

I have not ridden a 250 Intruder, so it was most interesting to read a comparison with the Virago.

A shame you couldn't have ridden them back-to-back with the Hyosung, which I believe is a different ride again.

The Virago is showing it's age now, out of step with the current "fat and heavy" fashion. It's good that it is still there as a styling choice though.

Cheers.

The aquila 250 is the biggest of the lot, i'm hoping to test one soon. I love the look of the virago but mind you I have a soft spot for old school british bobbers.