PDA

View Full Version : From the other side of the world!

Nooj
1st February 2005, 05:46
Hello all, me and the Mrs. are thinking about leaving the grey, cold, overpriced, overcrowded, soggy UK in favour of living in NZ, so I'm on here to find out if you're good enough for us both. (Thought I'd get some early piss taking in there.)
Basically we need to know the important stuff about living in NZ, what the roads are like, what the speed limits are and where you can safely ignore them, are the bike shops any good and where does the sun shine the most. Usual stuff, blah blah blah.
Anyway, enough of my rubbish, over to you.... :cold:

bluninja
1st February 2005, 06:00
Better not say too much as I'm a deserter. I went, and persuaded strongly by the rest of my family, I returned. The bike scene and comraderie is much better in NZ than over here. Max speed limit is 62.5 mph, but the rules for ignoring it are pretty much the same as in the UK.

Riff Raff
1st February 2005, 06:17
Hi Nooj, welcome to the site :wavey:

Basically we need to know the important stuff about living in NZ,
NZ is the best country in the world to live in. We have lots of twisty roads for great riding. All motorbikers living in Auckland are top notch people - it's the ones living in the rest of the country you have to worry about (especially those Welly lot).
There, I think I've answered your question!!!

Sniper
1st February 2005, 06:45
Welcome matey. We arnt all bad and the madness is catching.

Have a great time and best of luck to come over

toads
1st February 2005, 06:58
Well, it's a great place in my opinion, not over crowded in most places, not soggy in any at the moment, and not over priced either, the exception being auckland with regards to being over crowded and over priced.
As for the roads, I think they are great for bikes generally, but the surfaces in our area can tend to be "interesting" due to the poor quality road metal available on the east coast. Waikato and bay of plenty have fabulous roads, I haven't yet experienced the south island roads, but intend to as soon as it becomes possible.

XTC
1st February 2005, 07:17
Christ surely the last thing we need is another bloody englishman or two whinging about "they wouldn't get away with that back in the UK......" "when I lived in the UK........" blah blah blah....... :)

c'mon I was kidding...... Bring it on! :2thumbsup

Dodgyiti
1st February 2005, 07:35
Welcome pale passer by,
Just to add to what has already been mentioned;
Cops are not quite as prevelent as the UK, and traffic is like Wales once you get out of the cities and main state highway
Warmer weather goes without saying [ but 'wetter' does go without saying] :2thumbsup

Sparky Bills
1st February 2005, 07:41
Hey,
What part of NZ you looking at coming to??
Welcome to the site, make yourself at home, but please wipe your shoes/boots.
Hope you enjoy the antics! There are alot of crazy/big headed/funny people on here.
Of course im not one of them! :shifty:
You got pics?????

(HAHA Blakamin!!!! I BEAT YOU TO IT!!!! :headbang: )

sels1
1st February 2005, 08:13
Welcome aboard Nooj.
Plenty of your fellow countrymen here to keep you company.
You should enjoy it here, so long as you dont spend to much time in Auckland.

Skunk
1st February 2005, 08:27
Not another fuckin' pom! It's horrible here, horrible. Ya better off where you are. Really. Honest.
Stay.
Sit.
Good boy.

:shake:

MSTRS
1st February 2005, 09:41
Hello all, me and the Mrs. are thinking about leaving the grey, cold, overpriced, overcrowded, soggy UK in favour of living in NZ, so I'm on here to find out if you're good enough for us both. (Thought I'd get some early piss taking in there.)
Basically we need to know the important stuff about living in NZ, what the roads are like, what the speed limits are and where you can safely ignore them, are the bike shops any good and where does the sun shine the most. Usual stuff, blah blah blah.
Anyway, enough of my rubbish, over to you.... :cold:
The roads are crap, speed limit is 30kph & all vehicles are governed, the good bike shops are always the ones you didn't visit, sun always shining where you aren't. You really wouldn't like it. :whistle:

Blakamin
1st February 2005, 09:44
You got pics?????

(HAHA Blakamin!!!! I BEAT YOU TO IT!!!! :headbang: )
:kick: :whistle:

and welcome btw...

Biff
1st February 2005, 12:58
Hi Nooj, :2thumbsup
Now for the bad news. Following a national outcry Kiwi's have voted not to allow whinging, good for nothing, bleeding poms in any longer. They've brought absolutely nothing but trouble since being allowed in and pose a threat to the society of New Zeland. As such you won't be allowed in.

I was officialy the last pom to be allowed in.

Look forward to maybe meeting you one day. Even though you're a bloody foreigner.

jimbo600
1st February 2005, 13:26
Mate as an Expat myself I can honestly say make the move to NZ. The sportsbike scene is small compared to UK and if you go to MotoGP or WSBK you will miss it here. Other than that you can ride all year round. Insurance is reasonable. Bike theft is virtually non-existent. The roads are awesome. Highway patrol don't mind dark visors or aftermarket exhausts, but they do get a bit funny about speeding. Sunniest town is either Nelson or Gisborne. Best place for bikes is Wellington (cos that's where the cool cats are). Trackdays are about $40.00 (13 Quid). The only thing I miss about the UK is my dad...........and he's dead.

SPman
1st February 2005, 13:29
..and where does the sun shine the most. Usual stuff, blah blah blah.

Out the LTA's collective arsehole?

Biff
1st February 2005, 13:33
Mate as an Expat myself I can honestly say make the move to NZ. The sportsbike scene is small compared to UK and if you go to MotoGP or WSBK you will miss it here. Other than that you can ride all year round. Insurance is reasonable. Bike theft is virtually non-existent. The roads are awesome. Highway patrol don't mind dark visors or aftermarket exhausts, but they do get a bit funny about speeding. Sunniest town is either Nelson or Gisborne. Best place for bikes is Wellington (cos that's where the cool cats are). Trackdays are about $40.00 (13 Quid). The only thing I miss about the UK is my dad...........and he's dead.

ditto

Except my dad's still alive. At least he was last time my mum checked.

...and track days in Ruapuna are $85!!!!!!!

jimbo600
1st February 2005, 14:52
ditto

Except my dad's still alive. At least he was last time my mum checked.

...and track days in Ruapuna are $85!!!!!!!

$85.00!! Mind you Ruapuna is a far better track than slippery old Manfeild. I'd pay 85 pinghas to do a track day there.

I believe in the UK you could pay as much as 150 poundsfor a track day. That's $454.00 to us cor blimey Kiwi's

White trash
1st February 2005, 15:38
Greetings pommy one. Welcome to KB and soon to be welcome to NZ.

Move to welly, that's where all the REAL sports riding's to be had. Although, we have more than our fair share of moaning fucken poms down here.

Mostly thay ride GSX-R600s and complain about how unsticky Nth Island race tracks are.......

jimbo600
1st February 2005, 17:36
And what a bunch of cunts, cunts on gsxr1000's are. Bloody Aussie cunts.

Nooj
2nd February 2005, 06:03
Aaaaaarrrrrgh! Information over load!!!!
I've no idea of where we want to live, or even if we'll get in. I'll just hang around here and get a feel for the atmos. Thanks for the welcome btw, I'll try not to do too much whinging.

Ninja51
2nd February 2005, 07:48
Hi Nooj... just do it mate. Take no notice of these kiwis bemoaning us poms as whingers. They dont mean it really. Most of them are harmless. I arrived last January(2004) having met a kiwi bird on the net when she was in Blighty getting some OE.
I assume you have considered the entry process (ooh er)... I mean the Immigration palarver of course! I was lucky, Lynda signed me in as family so I by-passed the points system, but I still had the whole rigmarole of medicals, police checks, formfilling and waiting etc etc to get through. It took six months to get approval. When I went to NZ house to collect my Visa, I was told that if all the information is in place, then they can make a decision in two hours!! But they had 46000 applications the year I applied.
As for the serious business of biking. All that has been said above I can only agree with. Its Biking Nirvana! Some Harley riders seem to take a dim view of sportsbike riders ( or anything Japanese). You might just get away with a grunt from one if you have a European bike! Apart from that the riding is brilliant, and the camaradery that is inherant with bikers is alive and well here in NZ.
I shipped my ZX9 out last October. It was cheaper than buying another second hand one! (£680)
Good luck in planning your move. We look forward to your arrival.
Oh by the way, try and avoid Auckland mate... its bigger than London and suffers the same with gridlock. Once out of there though, you wont see another car or speed camera on the road for three days! Just sheep!

MSTRS
2nd February 2005, 08:05
I shipped my ZX9 out last October. It was cheaper than buying another second hand one! (£680)
Good luck in planning your move. We look forward to your arrival.
Oh by the way, try and avoid Auckland mate... its bigger than London and suffers the same with gridlock. Once out of there though, you wont see another car or speed camera on the road for three days! Just sheep!
Should have got yourself a Gixxer + then you wouldn't have to push it :shake:

curious george
2nd February 2005, 08:25
Welcome from the Aprilia forums :wavey:
Tell us a bit about what you you want to do for work and riding etc...
Any track days, or just road riding?

P.S. Whatever anyone tries to tell you, Auckland ROCKS! (but the traffic still sux) ;)
ANyway, it's still bettter than the road into wellington on a weekday :crazy:

Ninja51
2nd February 2005, 08:59
Should have got yourself a Gixxer + then you wouldn't have to push it :shake:

Ha bloody ha! Very amusing mate. Been reading my other threads eh?
Actually I nearly did trade the nine for a GSX1000 but the taxman wanted money instead. I think we both know the alarm prob is nowt to do with the make of bike! Bloody frustrating though.

MSTRS
2nd February 2005, 09:14
Ha bloody ha! Very amusing mate. Been reading my other threads eh?
Actually I nearly did trade the nine for a GSX1000 but the taxman wanted money instead. I think we both know the alarm prob is nowt to do with the make of bike! Bloody frustrating though.
well yea - i have read those others. Get a new remote. Taxman :mad: I just wondered how 3 days on the road & no see a cop etc until I figured out your problem and gave you the solution (for free, I might add) :killingme See WT for confirmation :blah:

Sniper
2nd February 2005, 10:51
Aaaaaarrrrrgh! Information over load!!!!
I've no idea of where we want to live, or even if we'll get in. I'll just hang around here and get a feel for the atmos. Thanks for the welcome btw, I'll try not to do too much whinging.

Come and live in Sunny old Blenheim. It has the most amount of Sunshine ever :yes:

magnum
2nd February 2005, 12:59
hello and welcome,best climate/roads=northland,corromandel,east coast,nelson,too many to list really. auckland is a bit crowded compared to everywhere else.cops hammer the main highway[state hiway1] but less so any other.good luck :ride:

zeRax
2nd February 2005, 13:32
Come and live in Sunny old Blenheim. It has the most amount of Sunshine ever :yes:

:yes:

Blenheim has alot going for it, its growing a bit faster and alot of housing going up, and the weather is usually wicked aswell :P
sure beats aucklands four seasons in one day

Marlborough sounds, quite central new zealand, close to nelson, nice roads to down south, ull want to bust out on the wairau valley road and go down south that way too, quite quiet road i think and quite balanced , i cant wait ride down there, some impressive straights too if u want to get up to some mischief

inlinefour
2nd February 2005, 21:24
now back to you :killingme

catalytic
7th February 2005, 22:09
Hi Nooj i am also a "Pom" and still live in uk, i also am thinking of visiting nz and naturally outstaying my welcome! Couplemore Poms wont hurt :whocares: HA HA HA :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

Jantar
7th February 2005, 22:32
Hi Nooj, Don't believe half of what you read on this thread, the other half is probably right though. Which half to believe? Well whichever takes your fancy.

The whole country has absolutely wonderful roads for motorcycling, and in most places the weather isn't too bad.

Just stay well clear of Central Otago. It only gets 350 - 400 mm of rain per year (thats about 15 inches), and the tremperature varies from 40C :sunny: in the summer like the past few days, down to -20C :cold: in the winter. Those winter frosts make bikes bloody hard to start. There are hardly any people to help you if you breakdown, and what people there are are just too friendly and wont let you get on with life. They'll take you to the pub, take you hunting, fishing, to BBQs etc.

Property values are absolutely exhorbitant when compared with places like Mangakino or Hicks Bay. And there are only 3 motorbike shops within 200 km.
No you certainly wouldn't like this part of NZ.

:sly:

However I hope you do come over. There are plenty of English immigrants here who can tell you about their experiences. :2thumbsup