PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Speed Cameras

Ninja51
1st February 2005, 11:38
As a newby to this site and indeed to NZ (well, a year ago to be precise) can anyone put me right as to whether mobile speed cameras clock you coming towards them or going away? I have now got used to spotting the plain coloured vans with tinted windows lurking as they do but Im buggered if I can work out which direction they operate in. Go on... tell me its both!

Waylander
1st February 2005, 11:40
Im not sure but i would assume its both. If not then the most logical direction would be as your going away. That way they can get your number plate if they cant catch you

Hitcher
1st February 2005, 11:42
Both ways they go. However unlike pole-mounted cameras, if there is more than one vehicle in shot, they can't identify the (most) offending one.

Hitcher
1st February 2005, 11:44
Im not sure but i would assume its both. If not then the most logical direction would be as your going away. That way they can get your number plate if they cant catch you
Be warned. The State of Victoria is keen to implement front-mounted plates for bikes to overcome this "anomaly".

Waylander
1st February 2005, 11:48
Be warned. The State of Victoria is keen to implement front-mounted plates for bikes to overcome this "anomaly".
And when that happens, I might just go back to the states where the government may be shyte(:thud: understatement), but atleast i can ride how I want and have my bike look how i want.:2thumbsup

Ninja51
1st February 2005, 11:49
Thanks for that guys. I thought that a ruling had been made that cameras could not be "hidden". They clearly are still. Best be a good boy then!

Ninja51
1st February 2005, 11:52
Interestingly enough, front plates were banned in the UK years ago...because they were considered a very effective slicer upon impact with pedestrians.

Waylander
1st February 2005, 11:53
No problem mate and welcome to the site and the country(even though youve been in NZ longer than me:wavey: ) Hope to see you on a ride sometime.

bugjuice
1st February 2005, 11:57
I've always wondered about those. I have no idea for sure, but I assume that there's a chance that the gun will clock you coming towards it, and even tho your plate is on the back of the bike, those vans are maned, so assume the guy (or gal) is gonna spin round and snap your plate as you pass with either another camera, or just jot your plate down.

Might be wrong, but so far, I haven't found anything to say what does happen, so best you can do is assume..

Hitcher
1st February 2005, 11:57
And welcome to our gargre, Ninja51. Enjoy it!

I may see you on the road sometime.

Hitcher
1st February 2005, 12:00
I've always wondered about those. I have no idea for sure, but I assume that there's a chance that the gun will clock you coming towards it, and even tho your plate is on the back of the bike, those vans are manned, so assume the guy (or gal) is gonna spin round and snap your plate as you pass with either another camera, or just jot your plate down.

Might be wrong, but so far, I haven't found anything to say what does happen, so best you can do is assume..
Not an evidential process that would stand up in Court.

bugjuice
1st February 2005, 12:12
Not an evidential process that would stand up in Court.
which? you sayin "I reckon he..." or the dude inside catchin your plate as you whizz past?

Aaron
1st February 2005, 13:03
I'm fairly certain they only point one way... out the back. The lasers calculate your speed and click goes the camera, just when you're in the right location based on your volicity.

I don't see how a laser facing one way and camera the other would work... aside from all the obstacles inside the van there'd be a period when you wouldn't be visible to either the laser or camera. If you slowed down or accleration during this region the camera wouldn't snap you because you'd varied the speed.

I have seen them setup on the road and the cop has to line up the camera with the road behind him. No use pulling over and finding the laser is directed into the tussock.

I also don't think the officer manning the camera is really very interested in writing down number plates. You could be waiting all day with notepad and pen on the off chance some hoon goes by. I'm told that alot of those manning the cameras use the time to study up their modules.

bugjuice
1st February 2005, 13:11
I guess the best thing to do is pass a couple of them at 150+ and see what you get thru the post. I'm happy to do it if everyone interested in finding out what happens pays the ticket ;)

(pt)

Hitcher
1st February 2005, 13:12
which? you sayin "I reckon he..." or the dude inside catchin your plate as you whizz past?
Both, but particularly the dude inside with the Instamatic and quill and parchment.

Skunk
1st February 2005, 13:29
I'm fairly certain they only point one way... out the back. The lasers calculate your speed and click goes the camera, just when you're in the right location based on your volicity.I'm with you Aaron... The setup I've seen can't be pointed out the front. The seats headrests get in the way.

Hand held laser guns are a different story :disapint:

XP@
1st February 2005, 13:35
I have passed a few at 130+ and they have piccies of my joyous face. But they haven't sent me any copies... Guess the dude didn't have his pad

pete376403
1st February 2005, 14:39
many of the vans I have passed have been unoccupied. Or else the operator is lying in the back having a sleep

mouldy
1st February 2005, 14:58
mobile speed cameras are always facing out the back of the van, mostly aiming at front plates but can also get you going away radars work both ways
speed cameras can now be hidden so you won't always see them but your radar detector will, get one the first time it saves you getting pinged its paid for itself

Blakamin
1st February 2005, 16:00
many of the vans I have passed have been unoccupied. Or else the operator is lying in the back having a sleep
saw one the other day with the door cracked open in the heat... big armchair type seat in the back....

magnum
1st February 2005, 16:14
I guess the best thing to do is pass a couple of them at 150+ and see what you get thru the post. I'm happy to do it if everyone interested in finding out what happens pays the ticket ;)

(pt)
know someone that did this last year/road to paeroa on the raceday but was more like 180 ehemmmm,he didnt get nofing in da mail

Da Bird
1st February 2005, 18:15

(pt)

If your rego is snapped by the camera (or the speed camera operator), a file will be generated and a cop located near your place of residence given the task of tracking the rider down. Likely charge over 150km/hr is Dangerous Speed (max 3 months prison, $4500 fine and min 6 months disqualification.

What?
2nd February 2005, 05:06
Both, but particularly the dude inside with the Instamatic and quill and parchment.
Don't you mean "...Instamatic, quill and parchment"?

What?
2nd February 2005, 05:18
I posted all this way back somewhere, but here goes again...

I stopped to have a yarn to a camera operator one evening thinking I had been snapped when I knew bloody well I was below the limit. The dude gave me a demo of his gear, showed me what the vehicle was that was speeding (what a stupid word) and proceeded to tell me:
*The Op's are civilians, not cops.
*The cameras can take photo's of traffic in both directions across up to 8 lanes.
*Vehicles with no plate on one end may still get done IF the operator is watching.
*The early cameras had a recycle time of over two seconds - the new ones are much faster, so evasion by tailgating won't work.
*They operate on Ka band "slant" radar. If you can't figure out what that means, do a Google search on it, but it explains why a good detector won't pick up a camera until you are very close, and a cheapy won't see it until the bulb flashes.
*The vans are almost always manned - exceptions only for things like a quick trip to the little boys room.

Blackbird
2nd February 2005, 07:09
Get a radar detector - mine picks up camera vans about 800 metres away so paranoia is a thing of the past!

Geoff

RiderInBlack
2nd February 2005, 07:24
Have Anyone Got a Speed Camera Fine On Their Bike? I certianly have not and there are times when I've passed one over the limit. I also have not heard of any biker that has. Has one here had one?

Ninja51
2nd February 2005, 09:30
Get a radar detector - mine picks up camera vans about 800 metres away so paranoia is a thing of the past!

Geoff

OK...
Gimme the lo-down. What make? How much? Where from? Easy to mount? Distracting?
Audio or Visual? etc...
Yours Paranoid Pom lol

Ranzer
2nd February 2005, 16:59
Just out of curiosity with all this talk of radar detectors, I'm assuming radar jammers are entirely illegal right? For some reason "obstructing police business" springs to mind, but eh just thought I'd ask and see if anyone knows the fine print?

mikey
2nd February 2005, 17:14
And welcome to our gargre, Ninja51. Enjoy it!

I may see you on the road sometime.
\

whats a gargre?????

i would google it but it will probably come up wiuth fools who cant spell garage....

Mongoose
2nd February 2005, 17:23
I'm with you Aaron... The setup I've seen can't be pointed out the front. The seats headrests get in the way.

Hand held laser guns are a different story :disapint:

If the van is at the side of the road, you pass it no matter which way you are traveling, no need to stick the camera out the front or worry about head rests etc.
Someone will no doubt correct me, but it used to be that if the operator takes your number you also lose the demerits.

Blackbird
2nd February 2005, 18:38
Ninja

Do a search as there are heaps of threads on detectors. To answer part of your question though, they're exceedingly easy to fit, especially with a custom bracket. Another contributor to this thread (who shall remain anonymous :msn-wink: ) recommended www.motorcycleradar.com to get a custom adjustable bracket to replace my home-made one. Service and quality are outstanding from this outfit. See pics of bracket fitted to the Blackbird.

Skunk
2nd February 2005, 19:35
I'm with you Aaron... The setup I've seen can't be pointed out the front. The seats headrests get in the way.

Hand held laser guns are a different storyIf the van is at the side of the road, you pass it no matter which way you are traveling, no need to stick the camera out the front or worry about head rests etc.
Someone will no doubt correct me, but it used to be that if the operator takes your number you also lose the demerits.Sorry, I read the original post as meaning front and back of the camera vehicle :o

Never mind me... :thud:

Velox
2nd February 2005, 23:35
whats a gargre?????

i would google it but it will probably come up wiuth fools who cant spell garage....
So much to learn young grasshopper....

RiderInBlack
3rd February 2005, 07:19
Have Anyone Got a Speed Camera Fine On Their Bike? I certianly have not and there are times when I've passed one over the limit. I also have not heard of any biker that has. Has one here had one?Come on dudes, if noone has then why worry about them. I'm more conserned about on coming patrol cars or unmarked cars than Speed Cameras on the bike.

sAsLEX
3rd February 2005, 08:02
Interestingly enough, front plates were banned in the UK years ago...because they were considered a very effective slicer upon impact with pedestrians.

they are looking at haveing them made out of rubber and flush mounted and all sorts of things to avoid problems like this, there is quite an indepth article on the net about the research they have done.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrnav.nsf/childdocs/-BB550A3C377BB0FDCA256EC900144F6E-CA7108E2C2184637CA256EC900144F6F?open

Slim
3rd February 2005, 08:22
Have Anyone Got a Speed Camera Fine On Their Bike? I certianly have not and there are times when I've passed one over the limit. I also have not heard of any biker that has. Has one here had one?
Yup. I have, on the road to Rotorua. And I know someone that got done one night on Greenlane West road near Cornwall Park when the cameras first came out.

RiderInBlack
3rd February 2005, 16:02
Yup. I have, on the road to Rotorua. And I know someone that got done one night on Greenlane West road near Cornwall Park when the cameras first came out.Thank for that Slim. I was starting to wonder as I had not heard of anyone getting done on a bike. Do know that there are perminant speed cameras in Welly that take pics of the vehicle going away from them.