PDA

View Full Version : Do you wax...??

bugjuice
1st February 2005, 19:33
your bike? do you put wax on yer bike? Just wanting to know what other people do/use to keep their prize machines in tiptop shape.. I've put a lot of back-breakin hours at work to earn the pennies for my pride n joy, so I don't want to let it slip down the crapper quickly.. What's a good alrounder for plastic work etc? Is there any of that gel-coating, making it super-slippery so crap can't stick to it..?

Also, does anyone use that BugOff and TarOff on the bikes? The ride at the weekend and all that hot tar has my bike looking a little polka-dotty in places.. While elbow grease eventually shifts it, there's no point goin round the houses when there's a short cut..

any ideas on how to polish off a gudun?

FROSTY
1st February 2005, 19:53
I use a product called Flash polish on the paintwork.I use mag wheel cleaner to clean up the wheels and then again with flash polish.I use glass cleaner on the indicators/mirrors/headlight.
basicly I use normal grooming stuff Ive got at work

merv
1st February 2005, 19:54
Simoniz Liquid Diamond is the best, gets the tar off too and you can apply it in sunshine - I use nothing else. Got a discount pack of the stuff complete with car wash pack for about $16 at Warehouse - its usually about $20 or more for the polish alone.

FzerozeroT
1st February 2005, 19:55
Polyglaze to remove bugs and tar (very solvent oriented)
Mothers pure carnuba to add shine (no abrasives)

FzerozeroT
1st February 2005, 19:58
and never use mag cleaners cause they chew through clear coats, wax and polished alloy

FzerozeroT
1st February 2005, 19:58
and diesel is good for tar (doesn't perish rubber)

Skunk
1st February 2005, 20:06
Hey, FzerozeroT, are you trying to get your post count up? :shake:
:lol:

Quasievil
1st February 2005, 20:08
Only my head, I like it shiny:2thumbsup

crazylittleshit
1st February 2005, 20:08
I am :done:

bugjuice
1st February 2005, 20:17
Only my head, I like it shiny:2thumbsup
lmao.. oook..

I use glass cleaner for the usual bits, and I have chrome stuff which protects and cleans the can and pipe, just mainly curious about the plastics and what ain't gonna eat the paint away really.. might try that Diamond stuff that Merv mentioned.. The wheels are a mat finish, so I just scrub 'em clean..
No wax finish then, or anything? Not that I'm lookin for work - if there's stuff that does all the stuff in one go, then I'll have that stuff, cos I's got more stuff to do, than be puttin on stuff when there's stuff that does all that stuff in one go... ay? Just want to get rid of the black stuff with out gettin rid of the orange stuff

Motu
1st February 2005, 20:26
Ain't got no paint,my bikes a plastic fantastic - water blast then WD40.If my bike gets dirty it looks like I use it - when I get back from a ride I like people to say...''where the hell have you been?!!''

Groins_NZ
1st February 2005, 20:41
I use a Turtle Wax product 'Platinum Series - Ultra Gloss Detailer'. Can be used in between waxing on all smooth, nonporous exterior plastic, rubber and painted trim. I use it on the tank and all the plastic fairing bits 'n' bobs (mudguards, headlight, indicators, Speedo surround, cowling, etc, etc). It says on the bottle that it contains a blend of 'premium Brazilian carnauba wax and advanced synthetic polymers'.

For chain oil that’s been flicked off and tar spots I use CRC - works a treat and can also help prevent rust/oxidization of metal parts. Some parts of the bike I leave a film of CRC on to aid cleaning next time around.

I like FzerozeroT’s idea of using diesel – would be good for the front of my engine block which gets bombarded with tar and other crap. Combined with a long thin paint brush to get into those hard to reach places would be good.

If you really can't be arsed with using different substances for different purposes then I reckon a giant sized can of CRC would possibly do the trick. I used to use nothing else but CRC when cleaning my mountain bike. It cleans, shines and protects - although not sure how plastic would hold up after long term use, but properly okay.

merv
1st February 2005, 20:53
Perhaps I better be clearer, Liquid Diamond is for your paint, I use kerosene to clean off chain grease and shit like that on the swingarm and other places and then hose it off. For plastic a decent vinyl cleaner is great - unless its hard plastic with a painted surface don't use the car type polish on it especially if its black plastic. Some of the multi cleaners are fine for that and I use them on my seat covers and plastic guards on the dirt bikes - bought the latest one cheap from Supercheap Auto - can't remember the name without going down to the garage to check.

wkid_one
1st February 2005, 20:58
I used Pledge (Dust Free was good)

scumdog
1st February 2005, 21:13
As I said on an earlier thread - spray silicone spray over the underneath parts of you scoot, forks fronts, front of fairing etc, stops oil/tar/cow-shit etc from sticking

Just make sure NONE gets on you tyres/brakes. :shit:

Milky
1st February 2005, 21:48
...I use kerosene to clean off chain grease and shit like that

50/50 kerosene and detergent works a treat - just as effective as engine degreaser, but much easier on paint/rubbers etc. I usually apply it with a toothbrush for the fiddly/well stuck bits or an old paint brush for larger areas.
This reminds me I should clean my bike sometime soon... Maybe even tomorrow, if I can fit it into my hectic student schedule :shifty: ;)

Will
1st February 2005, 22:27
As I said on an earlier thread - spray silicone spray over the underneath parts of you scoot, forks fronts, front of fairing etc, stops oil/tar/cow-shit etc from sticking

I wish to highlight that you must not get any silicone on your tyres. Was following a Harley that some one had put tyre black on the walls of the tyres to make it look good. We didn't realise that it had tyre black. It is not good to see your mates go around an easy corner and suddenly all shit is happening as rider and pillion are high sided at 100 k. And in amongst that you are trying to avoid the bike, them and your other mates on their bikes.
If in doubt, I would say no silicone any where near the bike. Dirty is best and saves injury.
By the way, the rider only got a broken wrist and pillion had cracked ribs.
I still have an image in my mind of two bodies and one bike up in the air.

Blackbird
2nd February 2005, 07:11
Mothers Carnuba Wax, it's the dog's doo dahs. :first:

Riff Raff
2nd February 2005, 07:16
I wish to highlight that you must not get any silicone on your tyres. Was following a Harley that some one had put tyre black on the walls of the tyres to make it look good.
When I bought my bike, the bike shop had put tyre black on the tyres. WTF were they thinking?

merv
2nd February 2005, 07:24
When I bought my bike, the bike shop had put tyre black on the tyres. WTF were they thinking?

When I clean my bike which is very occasionally and then I do it thoroughly, I happily use the brush on water based tyre black - bought in a small red paint type can from Repco (think its CRC brand) - just brush it onto the sidewalls, not the tread area anyway. No problems with that, but don't use the spray on foam type stuff because as some have mentioned above, get that slippery shit on the part of the tyre you use in a corner and you'll be practising your dirt rider foot down style slides.

I know you will be horrified, but the last time I cleaned my bike was in August last year and then it looked like this http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3205

Though its only a bit cruddy now like this http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6829

Wellyman
2nd February 2005, 07:37

yes I agree with scumdog silicone spray makes it shiny but don't put it your seat,grips,brakes,tyres makes it very slippery :shit:

scumdog
2nd February 2005, 10:43

I use the spray on tyre dressing but I spray it onto a rag then wipe it on the side-walls only, just up to the rib that delineates where the tread and side-wall meet.

Pwalo
2nd February 2005, 12:33
Mothers Carnuba Wax, it's the dog's doo dahs. :first:

And it smell's nice too. Their car wash is pretty good if the bike's not too dirty.

Blackbird
2nd February 2005, 14:17
Yup - smells like a vanilla dessert - thought I was the only sad bastard who thought that. :o

Lou Girardin
2nd February 2005, 14:55
I use Meguiars, kept a showroom shine on 13 year old red Mazda. Only started to show a tiny bit of oxidation on the boot when I sold it. It's hard work though, being a three step process.

vifferman
2nd February 2005, 15:25
I use WD40 or kero to get the really oily, crappy stuff off, or to remove tar. I wash the bike with some wash'n'wax, and clean the screen, instrument panel and headlight guard with Plexus plastic polish.

Don't use Armorall or like that there on your seat. :shit:

I haven't yet found anything that works well on the wheels, apart from Wurth's Intensive Rim Cleaner - spray on, leave, rinse off. It's not caustic like many of those mag wheel cleaners, so it doesn't eat alloy, paint, or clear-coat. Oh yeah - and it smells very pretty. :yes:
I've tried that Mr Muscle orange stuff, and some Armorall or whatever wheel cleaner, and they're useless.

Here's a tip - don't use engine degreaser on your rims to remove chain spooge. Unless you want InstantStuntORama. :shit: Or carefully remove all traces of the spooge/degreaser mix from your tyres before riding....

RiderInBlack
2nd February 2005, 17:04
I used Pledge (Dust Free was good)Yep, I rub Pledge Orange all over "Roxanne's" nice bits. Use the Trigger bottle at home and take some Pledge wipes with me so I can give some away from home rubs.
PS: Just a rant here, but when I was try out a replacement bike (after righting off the VFR), one of the wally owners had blacked the tyres on a CBR1000 I had come to try out on a dizzly day. It nearly got me killed on the Massey Roundabout:gob: Only just kept her up. Fu*k did I take a piece out of that wanker:angry2:

PSS: Have not seen you on here for a long time Wkid. Where the fu*k have you been hiding (or have I just been reading all the wrong threads)? Ooh and like you tits mate.

FzerozeroT
2nd February 2005, 19:52
I was thinking about putting together a kit to sell at races (buy in bulk and split it up)
Like an armourall gift pack but with just good polishes instead of buckets and sponges.

My full cleaning kit goes something like this:
rags - lots
microfibre cloths - removes smears
wash sponge / polish sponges / small sponges - for different compounds
paintbrushes - 25mm is the best size
soft toothbrush - for fiddly corners on paint
hard toothbrush - like a denture toothbrush
wire toothbrush - for stuff caked on metal (or decoking pistons/powervalves)
3m scouring pads - brake discs etc
spray bottles - $2 each from bunnings (or old MrMuscle bottles)

el cheapo car wash - commercial stuff
turps - for the tough stuff
diesel - softens up grease and brake dust
ripper - it's a commercial degreaser to remove diesel
groom all - another commercial dirt remover for plastics (even leather)
polyglaze - good for bugs and tar without removing wax
whole range of mothers polishes - 3 step, ultimate, wheel, alloy
turtle wax rubbing compound - never know when you'll need it
tyre black - it's a water based dye, great on all black stuff (seats / plastics / tyres) and it's non slippery
effax - leather balsam from a saddlery
revive - commercial version of armourall

race stands - only way to do wheels properly
waterblaster - even a low pressure one is good
dremel with little brushes - now we're getting anal-retentive
air compresser is on the wishlist

I've also got a whole lot of other more car specific stuff (windows, fabric etc.) just in case you were wondering I have been a Truck, bike and car groomer. Always loved making an old shitter look like it was actually worth something. (name those contraptions!)

FzerozeroT
2nd February 2005, 19:54
even household appliances

inlinefour
2nd February 2005, 20:49
makes the bike much easier to clean later on. However if its just a off road bike I use light oils after a good water blasting :wavey:

scumdog
2nd February 2005, 23:37
I've also got a whole lot of other more car specific stuff (windows, fabric etc.) just in case you were wondering I have been a Truck, bike and car groomer. Always loved making an old shitter look like it was actually worth something. (name those contraptions!)

Yeah a bit fussy about keeping my cars/bike tip-top too.

Use Warehouse engine cleaner, cheap but good just watch it on the alloy stuff, gotta rinse it off quick or it stains alloy.
Safe to use on rear rims for chain spooge removal as it's water-based and easily hosed off.
$2 shop dish-cleaning brushes are also a handy item.
You can re-do matt-black "crackle" finish areas by dabbing on water-based matt black paint using a piece of sponge rubber, gives a good uniform mstt finish. (be prepared to wipe down the immediate areas with a wet sponge to prevent a sudden attack of mysterious black specks - "over-spray" or more correctly "overs-patter"

Is the little yeller shitter a Suzuki Fronte'?

Holy Roller
3rd February 2005, 01:41
Would that be a red knat (sp) powered by villers?

FzerozeroT
3rd February 2005, 18:27
Would that be a red knat (sp) powered by villers?

villiers 7e in fact!

to engage reverse you stop the gnat and then start the motor in reverse, man i love two strokes.

sorry scumdog, not a suzuki, and I don't like to use yellow, it's a phlegm green