PDA

View Full Version : Parking wardens - warrants and regos

PrincessBandit
22nd October 2008, 18:58
Hey, on Fair Go they are talking about parking wardens ticketing motorbikes at Auck uni for not displaying wofs and regos. Since when have parking wardens had jurisdiction over that? And it would seem that they're jsut writing the tickets without actually looking for them! Bloody hell.

Katman
22nd October 2008, 18:59
Woohoo. Squiggles, you're a star.

AllanB
22nd October 2008, 19:01
Few years back now - they can give u a ticket for no rego, no wof. One good reason not to ide your rego and or wof under your seat.

Maha
22nd October 2008, 19:03
Squiggles for Prez!!!!
Awesome Stephen......and Luke, for getting to cut up the ticketts.....:2thumbsup

Madness
22nd October 2008, 19:04
Councils have had the ability to ticket no reg/w.o.f for ages. In Wellington they used to be known for patrolling the multi-level carparking buildings even.

Hey, it all helps to keep rates down :2thumbsup

cs363
22nd October 2008, 19:05
Officious little wankers. They're like those 'men in white coats' at shows and events that control the parking etc...give them a bit of authority and it's a recipe for instant mini Hitlers!

MadDuck
22nd October 2008, 19:06
...well done lads the car got to drive away without a ticket :Police:

Good TV article and the Uni lads came across really well :niceone:

wickle
22nd October 2008, 19:07
Few years back now - they can give u a ticket for no rego, no wof. One good reason not to ide your rego and or wof under your seat.
Guy that warranted my bike last time suggested to put it under seat

cs363
22nd October 2008, 19:08
...well done lads the car got to drive away without a ticket :Police:

Good TV article and the Uni lads came across really well :niceone:

Err yes, how rude of me - forgot to say 'good on you guys' an excellent effort. :yes:

Daffyd
22nd October 2008, 19:15
Good to see the Council back down. Shouldn't have needed Fair Go for it to happen, though.

An idea; seeing you need a WOF before you can relicence your bike, (or car,) why not change the system so that on obtaining your WOF you present it at the licensing depot and it is printed out on the rego? Would mean WOF and rego would have to be for the same period.

Scorpygirl
22nd October 2008, 19:16
Well done all. I don't often get to see Fair Go cause I am volunteering at Starship but I did tonight....long story. My rego and warrant are both in a little plastic wallet - back to back, attached to the rego plate. The rego is displayed in front but the warrant is tucked in behind. Thanks to you guys I now won't be ticketed. The Council is such a load of ....... You should just be able to prove rego and warrant without the b...s that goes with bureaucracy.

Go bikers!!!! :Punk:

wysper
22nd October 2008, 19:24
Hey, on Fair Go they are talking about parking wardens ticketing motorbikes at Auck uni for not displaying wofs and regos. Since when have parking wardens had jurisdiction over that? And it would seem that they're jsut writing the tickets without actually looking for them! Bloody hell.

They have been able to do that for several years. Lets councils get in on the revenue gathering too. Makes them way more money than just parking fines.

I must go and check if mine are visible! I don't think my warrant is. You would actually have to look :gob:

It was a good piece on Fair Go. Didn't make the bikers look like lawbreaking arses which was nice.

Scorpygirl
22nd October 2008, 19:27
An idea; seeing you need a WOF before you can relicence your bike, (or car,) why not change the system so that on obtaining your WOF you present it at the licensing depot and it is printed out on the rego? Would mean WOF and rego would have to be for the same period.

But I register my bike for a year and my warrant is due every six months. That won't work for me. It would only work if you go to VTNZ or a place that does regos and warrants.

JATZ
22nd October 2008, 19:33
I was surprised to learn your warrant sticker should be on the windscreen if you have one, I just assumed putting it in a w.o.f. holder/case thing was o.k.

Also.........where do you put the ticket when parked in a metered park, never thought about it til the other day when I got my ticket and stood there looking like an idiot wondering where to put it(went in my pocket in the finish).
AAAAAAND what if theres 2 bikes in 1 car space ? do you need 2 tickets ?

Daffyd
22nd October 2008, 19:40
But I register my bike for a year and my warrant is due every six months. That won't work for me. It would only work if you go to VTNZ or a place that does regos and warrants.

Sorry, I didn't explain properly. I meant the law would have to be changed to accommodate this idea, and part of that change would be to bring these into line.

Mom
22nd October 2008, 19:41
Guy that warranted my bike last time suggested to put it under seat

I sat my license back in the day with no visible WOF or rego (both were under the seat). Cop said, where are the stickers? I lifted the seat, he said thats fine, lets go!

My current rego is in my jacket pocket, the last sticker was self adhesive, this new one isn't and I dont have a holder on my bike. I am just on my way to buy one officer :innocent:

Well done you Uni guys, squiggles you did well!

pete376403
22nd October 2008, 19:50
My current rego is in my jacket pocket, the last sticker was self adhesive, this new one isn't and I dont have a holder on my bike.

go to a Postshop and ask for the double-sided adhesive that they have specifically for bike and trailer reg labels. Free of charge.
My reg label is stuck on the side of the swingarm, the WOF is in my wallet.

Scorpygirl
22nd October 2008, 19:54
Sorry, I didn't explain properly. I meant the law would have to be changed to accommodate this idea, and part of that change would be to bring these into line.

Sorry, thanks for clarifying. :sunny:

Moki
22nd October 2008, 21:13
Officious little wankers. They're like those 'men in white coats' at shows and events that control the parking etc...give them a bit of authority and it's a recipe for instant mini Hitlers!

Must be payback for all the times they were picked last for sport in school:blink:

AllanB
22nd October 2008, 21:14
Also.........where do you put the ticket when parked in a metered park, never thought about it til the other day when I got my ticket and stood there looking like an idiot wondering where to put it(went in my pocket in the finish).
AAAAAAND what if there's 2 bikes in 1 car space ? do you need 2 tickets ?

I phoned the CHCH city council about a month ago - if I fill a 'car park' with bikes how many parking tickets are required. Fact is they did not know as they had not thought of this - but they suggested one for each bike.

Rego and WOF are meant to be clearly displayed - in fact you can get a ticket for not clearly displaying them if they are anal. This came up at work a while back with a registered vehicle displaying a old dated ticket, even though the vehicle was registered (rep had not picked up the new ticket).

Moki
22nd October 2008, 21:24
They have been able to do that for several years. Lets councils get in on the revenue gathering too. Makes them way more money than just parking fines.

I must go and check if mine are visible! I don't think my warrant is. You would actually have to look :gob:

It was a good piece on Fair Go. Didn't make the bikers look like lawbreaking arses which was nice.

Let's face it.

Those donkeys are supposed to make a judgement call on whether the bike has a wof and rego. Think about it. If they're in that job to start with, what does that say about their ability to make correct judgements about themselves?:devil2:

PirateJafa
22nd October 2008, 21:28
Anyone got a link if it's on the 'net yet?

I want to see my bike's moment of fame! :)

Squiggles
22nd October 2008, 21:34
Link to Fairgo site (http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/497100/2222850) Click "Fair Go: Unfair fines (06:46)" under Related Video

We've been fighting this battle for a while now, and a wee nudge from the media cant hurt, far from over though.

Cheers for the support :)

PrincessBandit
22nd October 2008, 22:20
I was surprised to learn your warrant sticker should be on the windscreen if you have one, I just assumed putting it in a w.o.f. holder/case thing was o.k.

We asked about the ticket for metered parking and were told to just take ticket with us, and keep it as proof (along with the "fine" if you got one) that you did in fact pay for your spot! They admitted it's a bit hard for a bike when anyone could come along and flog ya little scrap of paper saying you have paid for the privilege of using the parking space!

oldrider
22nd October 2008, 22:24
Well done people, I wondered if any of you were KBr's! (couldn't see any patches etc.) :niceone: Cheers, John.

Slyer
22nd October 2008, 23:35
The RD's numberplate unblanked for everyone to see!
Good job you lot, love the bit of drama mixed in "We hate them!".

ital916
23rd October 2008, 05:33
We asked about the ticket for metered parking and were told to just take ticket with us, and keep it as proof (along with the "fine" if you got one) that you did in fact pay for your spot! They admitted it's a bit hard for a bike when anyone could come along and flog ya little scrap of paper saying you have paid for the privilege of using the parking space!

I was told after asking that a motorcycle can park in a pay and display spot without paying for the maximum allotted time and a leeweay of ten minutes and no more. its bad enough we get charged ridiculously high rego and wof prices.

Swoop
23rd October 2008, 07:12
Isn't it strange how a praking warden will walk quite a long way each day, yet still remain a fat bastard?

Bloody good outcome guys!!!

HungusMaximist
23rd October 2008, 10:41
You deseve a nice pat on the back Stephen.

Good job!

vifferman
23rd October 2008, 11:21
Rego and WOF are meant to be clearly displayed - in fact you can get a ticket for not clearly displaying them if they are anal.
Yes.
My wife got a ticket for this, because although I had registered her car, I forgot to put the new sticker in the holder (it sat in my bike bag for a weeks instead). Basically, the council let her off after I wrote in with proof it was licenced, and explaining I was mental, but said it wasn't just a matter of it being licenced: it has to have a current registration (and WOF) AND they have to be clearly displayed. The ticket was actually for "failure to display a current registration licence sticker".

CookMySock
23rd October 2008, 13:10
Officious little wankers. They're like those 'men in white coats' at shows and events that control the parking etc...give them a bit of authority and it's a recipe for instant mini Hitlers!These people cannot tell you what to do. They might have the authority to have your bike removed though.

Steve

Gremlin
23rd October 2008, 15:56
Motorcycles don't actually have windscreens, they have wind deflectors. This might seem anal, but its important in the eyes of the law. Ergo, if we had windscreens, we'd need wipers, wouldn't we?

1 ticket per park, unless there are specific laws that have been written. This issue was tried against two smart cars, that filled one space, and paid for one ticket. You are "renting" one car park, why do you have to pay more if you can fill the space better?

I phoned the CHCH city council about a month ago - if I fill a 'car park' with bikes how many parking tickets are required. Fact is they did not know as they had not thought of this - but they suggested one for each bike.
Yeh... they simply don't think. As I said above, unless laws have been changed (I don't watch laws closely, I have a life) there is one ticket per park... they just didn't think about motorcycles and smart cars :laugh:

edit: Very well done guys. Council made a brilliant job of making themselves look like idiots. Like his excuse about not touching personal property... oh... but we have to put the ticket on the vehicle some how...

mdnzz
24th October 2008, 07:53
I watched a little-hitler eyeing up vehicles as they were stopped at red lights, I noticed him writing furiously and thought WTF??
Wasn't till I got closer that I realised, the little prick was scanning to see if rego's were upto date and getting tags for those that were not.
Since when do they cover moving vehicles??

phaedrus
24th October 2008, 09:18
i've just edited out everything but this section of fair go. I can put it on dvd for a few people if ya want it

cs363
24th October 2008, 10:09
i've just edited out everything but this section of fair go. I can put it on dvd for a few people if ya want it

No need - it's available from their website: http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/497100/2222850 and click on the link for 'Unfair Fines'

Slyer
24th October 2008, 10:30
It's also here on youtube.
ATDPZ6QbrgI

Krayy
21st January 2009, 14:37
Here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1900718&postcount=27

Well I just got off of a ticket and here's why...

When the warden fills out the ticket on his little hand held computer, he has to enter the date, time, location, license number, make & model for it to be valid.

It seems that the ACC have never heard of a "Buell" and therefore he put the Make as "Unknown". This, apparently, is a no-no in the big computer, so it promptly spat it out the other end and told him to bugger off. This means anyone who has a little known (in Government parlance anyway) brand bike, or an unbranded Custom, will NEVER GET A VALID TICKET AGAINST THEM!!!

This being the case, I have a solution for all those who park in dubious places...remove all identifying model stickers from your bike, and make sure that the rego is well hidden so the warden cannot fill those fields in.

Sorted.

Mystic13
21st January 2009, 15:02

Yep, a friend has been ticketed when I had the parking ticket and he shared my space. ACC say one ticket per vehicle.

I also have been ticketed and never got the ticket. I rang ACC to ask what the? and the lady asked if it was a rainy day... and I said yes. She then advises quite often what they do is stand out of the rain and write tickets for a whole bunch of vehicles and if you arrive and drive off before they do the drop off (if they ever do it) you don't get the ticket just the notice in the mail. Here I am thinking if they can't be bothered sticking a ticket on my bike because it's raining then i shouldn't have to pay it.

But yes they can ticket you for not displaying a warrant or rego but then again they don't look too hard. Some have the rego stuck on the side of the bike.

sunhuntin
22nd January 2009, 12:10
ive watched a meter warden write a ticket on a car for: expired time, no WOF, no rego.

i honestly think it would be easier for the govt to hire a few desk jockeys for WOF and rego checks. i mean, all that info is in a computer... how hard would it be to design a search engine to search the database looking for regos and WOF more than a week overdue?

Waxxa
22nd January 2009, 14:43
ive watched a meter warden write a ticket on a car for: expired time, no WOF, no rego.

i honestly think it would be easier for the govt to hire a few desk jockeys for WOF and rego checks. i mean, all that info is in a computer... how hard would it be to design a search engine to search the database looking for regos and WOF more than a week overdue?

Then there would be no infringements, no money...

slofox
22nd January 2009, 14:53
Well a LEO stopped me to check reg and warrant a while ago and they were both in the plastic case thingy that R&S had bolted on to the back of the reg plate when I bought the bike. Had to fart around to see the warrant in the back of the plastic doover but the LEO did NOT suggest I move it...so if he was happy enough, that is good enough for me....but then I don't live in D'Auckland either...

swbarnett
22nd January 2009, 15:59

No reg or WOF is not illegal unless you take the vehicle on a public road.

Although, under the current definition a private driveway qualifies as a road.

SPman
22nd January 2009, 16:00

All those vehicles are not necessarily being used.....

Subike
22nd January 2009, 16:42
Land Transport have an alloy plate with a clear plastic cover which they supply for truck trailers to display the road tax and reg labels.
This plate is a very tidy looking unit, and can be bolted the rear of your bike in almost any position, making the label easy to read and visabile to any official person.
Hope this pic shows enough for you to get the idea.

swbarnett
22nd January 2009, 17:41
Land Transport have an alloy plate with a clear plastic cover which they supply for truck trailers to display the road tax and reg labels.
This plate is a very tidy looking unit, and can be bolted the rear of your bike in almost any position, making the label easy to read and visabile to any official person.
Hope this pic shows enough for you to get the idea.
My wife had her rego in that exact position and got ticketed for it. On discussions with Auckland City Council she was told in no uncertain terms that the rego must be immediately adjacent to the number plate. This pos just wasn't close enough.

Subike
22nd January 2009, 17:45
My wife had her rego in that exact position and got ticketed for it. On discussions with Auckland City Council she was told in no uncertain terms that the rego must be immediately adjacent to the number plate. This pos just wasn't close enough.

That is not right, it was the Jipco Rd Land Transport Compliance center here in Christchurch that suggested that position for my bike when had it checked last year!
I would have taken that to the Land Transport people for varification.

Squiggles
22nd January 2009, 21:33

Whenabouts was this?

swbarnett
22nd January 2009, 23:18
That is not right, it was the Jipco Rd Land Transport Compliance center here in Christchurch that suggested that position for my bike when had it checked last year!
I would have taken that to the Land Transport people for varification.
Had I known about this so would we have.

swbarnett
22nd January 2009, 23:19
Whenabouts was this?
Mid to late last year.

mctshirt
24th January 2009, 18:40
I had the Auckland City Council "Not Displaying WOF" ticket back in the early 90's on one of my infrequent visits. I made my way to wherever it was you went to complain in those days and proceeded to fail the attitude test. I took the valid WOF with me as evidence and claimed it was on the dashboard in plain sight because the adhesive had failed had their little facist bothered to look, blah, blah, blah. I knew I had the woman by the nuts when she said "but it runs out tomorrow". Long story short she was told to fuck off and die until the following day when it would be a fair cop and the ticket was withdrawn. I promptly left the region.

Moral of the story for me was Auckland CC staff are particularly zealous writing their tickets (even back then) but don't take any shit from the wankers. They are not policeman and have no right to run round writing tickets without evidence like the moral fibre of the planet depends on it.

And yes I'm still a little bitter about it.