PDA

View Full Version : Wellington - Bikes and scooters being stolen

Nasty
23rd October 2008, 17:20
In the past two days two of my work collegues have had their vehicles stolen ... I don't know the details but one is a below 250 bike and the other is a 125 scooter.

This is from under the central Library on Wakefield Street .. and the entrance opposite the Police Station ... kinda ironic ... anyway .. remember be vigilent with locking your bikes to use extra security .. disc locks etc.

Nasty
24th October 2008, 08:00
Just to remind this is quite prevalent at the moment ... make sure you secure your bikes.

davebullet
24th October 2008, 10:34
I use a disc lock - but being a lighter bike, doesn't stop a van and a few guys from lifting it into the back.

I suppose parking on the street makes a daylight grab a little obvious, but also quicker and no security cameras (like a car park) to hopefully capture the theft.

What else can we do to make our bikes more secure when leaving them during the working day? I thought about mounting some micro camera to record and transmit pictures (like a webcam)... there might be a market for such a device, although range limited.

David.

Nasty
24th October 2008, 10:57
One of the guys here had a disc lock and they just picked the bike up .... out security staff put out the following information:

· The location of a parked vehicle can be a determining factor in whether it will be targeted by thieves.
· Parking in an isolated, poorly-lit area provides more opportunities for thieves.
· If parking at night, choose a well-lit, busy street and park your vehicle close to a street light.
· Try to use car park buildings that are attended and position your vehicle near the entrance or exit whenever possible.
· Try to park at locations with camera surveillance or security patrols.
· Parking in an area in view of a steady flow of pedestrians and vehicles reduces the risk of your car being targeted by thieves.
· Use anti-theft devices.

Roki_nz
24th October 2008, 11:29
I use a disc lock - but being a lighter bike, doesn't stop a van and a few guys from lifting it into the back.

I suppose parking on the street makes a daylight grab a little obvious, but also quicker and no security cameras (like a car park) to hopefully capture the theft.

What else can we do to make our bikes more secure when leaving them during the working day? I thought about mounting some micro camera to record and transmit pictures (like a webcam)... there might be a market for such a device, although range limited.

David.

Plant a remotely detonated bomb in your bike. When someone steals it detonate it. Bike Theft will decline very quickly.

Seriously though I have heard of “man Traps” installed in cars in South Africa

Nasty
25th October 2008, 08:49
The guys who stole from my work were in a blue van with curtains .. there is video footage being forwarded to the police ... obviously like most crims they didn't think very hard ...

Duke girl
25th October 2008, 09:19
Thats because they have nothing between the ears and are nothing more than low life scum. Lets hope the cops get them and look them up and throw away the key.

maybe
26th October 2008, 18:19
Most probably a stolen van

Flip
27th October 2008, 13:19
I fitted an alarm system to my bike. The thing screems its head off and is intergrated into the fuel system electronics as well. Don't know how effective it would be if the crims really wanted the bike, the bike weighs 340+kg so its not easy to lift into the back of a van, but it does provide a level of comfort when I park the thing outside a motel.
A few years ago a friend had a CB250RS nicked from the in the car park behind the Duxton hotel, never got it back. Going to be in Wellington next week, thanks for the heads up.

cynna
27th October 2008, 18:46
the bike weighs 340+kg so its not easy to lift into the back of a van.

only took me an a mate a few minutes to lift my softail into a van with no ramp when i broke down once - and that was being careful. with 2 people lifting one wheel then the other 340kg is not much

NordieBoy
29th October 2008, 06:35
Plant a remotely detonated bomb in your bike. When someone steals it detonate it. Bike Theft will decline very quickly.

Seriously though I have heard of “man Traps” installed in cars in South Africa

Jenni's mum had an isolator switch installed in her car between the rear seat and the wheel arch. You had to pull the seat cushion to get to it.

It got stolen.