PDA

View Full Version : Charging issue with 87 vfr400?

Maffoo
24th October 2008, 11:23
i have recently had an issue with a vfr not starting, i have solved that issue but now i have an electrical problem

the battery that was in it was pretty dead.... it is a new(ish) battery & has been trickle-charged a couplke of times in the last 6 weeks 3due to the starting issue
I attached another battery to it to start it, but as soon as i dis-connect the jumper battery, it runs like ass at idle & wont rev at all... it bogs down & dies

now, i would have thought that as soon as it was running, the charging system should take over & provide enough charge to run it but this obviously isnt happening

i dont have a multi-meter to check the charge rate, but its never had a battery issue before now....
how many times can you charge a dead battery before it dies?
is there a certain amount of time an engine has to charge the battery before it can run on its own?

any ideas would be appreciated
tia
maffoo

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 12:53
I'd check the regulator, common fault with CBR and VFRs, they overload and then don't charge properly.

Taz
25th October 2008, 12:58
+1 for the regulator. Most likely candidate being a honda.

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 13:09
Grab a multimeter and follow the troubleshooting flow chart on this link http://thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm

It will tell you whether the reg works fine or not... ALTHOUGH on my cbr everytime I checked it out it seemed fine, but the problems were intermittent.

So check out the voltage readings, and then have a look at the reg even if it checks out fine and look for any melting.

klyong82
25th October 2008, 15:34
Are any other your bulbs blown? Can be an indication that your rectifier is toasted from current spikes....

Maffoo
26th October 2008, 11:59
cheers for your ideas

i have trickle-charged the battery & it seems to be working weell now that there is some power in the battery

i will come back to this thread if any other issues show up in the future :)

thank you for your assistance
maffoo

quickbuck
26th October 2008, 13:50
Ahhhh....
Have a look in your other thread.

Xile
4th November 2008, 15:26
+1 on reg/rec
Killing the battery very quickly when you charge 23V on it!!!
I had the same problem (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=80839) few weeks ago...