PDA

View Full Version : New BMW K Series

gunnyrob
25th October 2008, 06:55
BMW has just announced a new series of 1300s to replace the K1200 series. Included so far are sport, Nekked & touring.

Biggest point to note is that "The K Series model revision also heralds a new and innovative generation of switches and controls." i.e. they are introducing revolutionary conventional switchgear! (About time too)

Taz
25th October 2008, 07:00
But I like the BMW switchgear........

Trouser
25th October 2008, 13:46
But I like the BMW switchgear........
Burn him?????

EJK
25th October 2008, 13:52
Switchgear? Is it like the Porsche Doppelkupplung? (No really, the word Doppelkupplung exist)

Gremlin
25th October 2008, 14:20
its about time the switchgear was conventional, but calling it revolutionary only makes people laugh at them more (if they weren't already).

They still have the issue of being overpriced, or at least the blue and white badge costing a few thousand.

Bonez
25th October 2008, 20:30
Handle bar end weights look innovative as well.

xwhatsit
25th October 2008, 21:24
Switchgear? Is it like the Porsche Doppelkupplung? (No really, the word Doppelkupplung exist)
`Switchgear' doesn't mean transmission/gearbox, it means like the little indicator switches and headlight switches and shit like that.

BMW indicator stuff is weird, they used three switches to do what other manufacturers did with one. Dunno what the advantages are, but I found it tricky to adapt -- but then again I don't like `push-to-cancel' switchgear either :)

BMWST?
25th October 2008, 21:42
its good when you dont have to swap bikes...a gentle roll of the throttle while holding the thumb out automatically engages RHS indicator....

Ixion
25th October 2008, 21:59
I like them

Left thumb forward - left indicator.
Right ditto, right ditto.
Right thumb back, cancel (or just let it self cancel)

Perfectly logical. Never understood how anyone could have any problems.

xwhatsit
25th October 2008, 22:03
Well Banzai finds it difficult to use conventional GN250 indicators without beeping the horn. I dunno what he'd be like with even more switches.

I think it's a bit stink, it'd be like driving a Citröen with normal suspension, normal steering wheel, normal seats, normal radio, normal roof, normal brakes... how very ordinary!

Gremlin
25th October 2008, 22:42
Beeping at random vehicles doesn't assist in indicating any intention to move in a leftwards fashion...

AND WHERE THE HELL DID THE STARTER GO

xwhatsit
25th October 2008, 23:09
AND WHERE THE HELL DID THE STARTER GO
Down by your right leg, where it's always been.

Gremlin
26th October 2008, 00:43
Down by your right leg, where it's always been.
you are evidently misguided good sir... I have never had a starter by my right leg. Perhaps you mean my right thumb? For that is surely where it has always been :rolleyes:

xwhatsit
26th October 2008, 01:01
you are evidently misguided good sir... I have never had a starter by my right leg. Perhaps you mean my right thumb? For that is surely where it has always been :rolleyes:
Ah. That might explain your confusion. You put your legs on the pegs, not your thumbs. This may explain why you always had difficulty with countersteering I suppose.

On topic: do BMW do their design in-house, or do they use industrial designers or something? Some of the more interesting-looking bikes coming from BMW lately.

Forest
7th November 2008, 15:27
I like them

Left thumb forward - left indicator.
Right ditto, right ditto.
Right thumb back, cancel (or just let it self cancel)

You forgot one.

Both thumbs at once = hazard lights.

Though I don't know if that works on all models, or just the recent ones.

Fudmucker
25th November 2008, 12:28
:Oops: I also prefer the unique BMW system...!

The conventional system leaves an open slot for easier water ingress into the intimate workings of the switch clusters - also dust and other sundry crepe!

To me it's a step backwards...:scooter:

Conquiztador
1st February 2010, 16:06
So, has anyone taken a K1300 for a test? Or perhaps even bought one? Impressions?

leo.zeona
18th February 2010, 18:41
Took K1300s for test ride couple of weeks ago as I am in the market for a sport tourer 2 up machine, all though it was only on Auckland roads which are not real roads.
Very nice bike, easy to ride, plenty of power, very smooth, good sport tourer however it did everything too well, almost, so to me lacked some character and personally it just didn't spin my wheels.
I will try and wait for a ride on the new Ducati Multistrada, it seems to be taking for ever though and am getting very impatient.