PDA

View Full Version : Help a yank inspect a bike in Hamilton?

the vet
25th October 2008, 07:04
I'm coming to NZ for at least 3 months; touring by bike. Presently trying to finalize a job offer and work visa. If that works out I will be in NZ for at least 9 months. I would like to buy a bike in NZ before I arrive Dec 7, or very soon after I arrive. I have contacted a seller of a bike I am interested in. I am wondering if anyone on this site might be willing to inspect a bike for me in the Hamilton area. I would try to return this favor in some way when I arrive...a meal and a few beers at least...or free consultation and advice for your pet (I'm a veterinarian).

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help. I know there are things that can be missed with cursory inspection, I certainly wouldn't hold anyone to anything---just be nice to know that there is not obvious evidence of crash, leaking oil, bike starts and seems to run smoothly, the reg and WoT(?) are ok, etc.

If willing to help, please email me or post a contact here---don't think I have enough posts to use PM: srndptee@gmail.com

Thanks

desmo dave
25th October 2008, 08:05
Karamea is a long way from Hamilton so i am of no use to you.Great idea asking on here as some1 handy to the bike is sure to turn up.Welcome to NZ for when you do get here.

emaN
25th October 2008, 08:43
there's loads of dudes in hamilton who'll help you out I'm sure

where in the States are ya? i've travelled "a bit" thru' the place

skidMark
25th October 2008, 09:17
They're invading!, lol welcome mate, somebody in Hamilton should be able to sort ya out

:rockon:

Bronza
25th October 2008, 10:01
My hubby(kickingzebra) will inspect any bikes for you. I'll send you an email as well.

the vet
25th October 2008, 12:48
Wow! Generous offers the same day I posted! I can't wait to visit NZ!

I am currently located in Northern California. Grew up in New York about 25 miles outside of New York City, went to College in Central NY State, which is agricultural and beautiful. I've lived in North Carolina, Southern California, Alaska for about 3 months and Colorado for 9 years before California. I also spent 6 months in Australia (went over to play Lacrosse for an Adelaide team) about 20 years ago. Colorado and the Rocky Mtns are my favorite part of the States....but what is happening in this country is discouraging to say the least, and I'm ready for a big change. Everything I hear or read about NZ and New Zealanders is positive, so I am really looking forward to this change in my life.....if the work visa comes through, life will be good!

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Pete

FROSTY
25th October 2008, 12:54
e mail sent. :Punk:

Slyer
25th October 2008, 12:59
Welcome, hope it all works out for you!

emaN
25th October 2008, 13:31
...I've lived in North Carolina, Southern California, Alaska for about 3 months and Colorado for 9 years before California.....
Colorado and the Rocky Mtns are my favorite part of the States........ Everything I hear or read about NZ and New Zealanders is positive, ....
ah, the Carolinas...got a soft spot for them!
Colorado was mint - if i were to go back i'd alternate between Colorado & Montana!
NZ's pretty cool - you wait 'til we get rid of Uncle Helen & experience the positive vibes that will reverberate throughout the country :shifty:

the vet
31st October 2008, 09:59
Found a bike, kickingzebra checked it out for me and it looks good. Now, the real dilemma. How do I make a risk free transaction from the US? I want to buy the bike in advance of my arrival on Dec 7. The seller doesn't want to hold it for me without at least a deposit, which is perfectly reasonable. Bank transfer of funds is easy to do.

I don't know if there is a way to minimize my risk of being ripped off....eg.--seller takes my deposit and disappears, sells the bike to the next person who shows up.

The details: I found the bike on trademe.com. The person who listed the bike on trademe is a friend of the sellers. Seller does not have ready access to computer or email. I have spoken to the seller on the phone and kickingzebra has met him. Seller has given me his mailing address, but couldn't remember the postal code when I spoke to him....hmmmm

Any suggestions? Are my only options just to trust, or not trust? I am a very trusting person, but hate the idea of being naively stupid.

Tank
31st October 2008, 10:04
Any suggestions? Are my only options just to trust, or not trust? I am a very trusting person, but hate the idea of being naively stupid.

oh thats a hard one - upshot is that you dont know the guy and he could be a top bloke or an arse.

Do you have any contacts in NZ that you know who you can have the bike transferred into their name and they can hold for you until you get down here?

Anyone here own a Hamilton bike shop who hold the bike as a 'middleman' in return for good karma or beer?

Finn
31st October 2008, 10:05
The exchange rate is in your favor (US spelling Hitcher). You should start watching it and perhaps get some in advance of your trip.

vifferman
31st October 2008, 10:14
I don't know if there is a way to minimize my risk of being ripped off....eg.--seller takes my deposit and disappears, sells the bike to the next person who shows up.

The details: I found the bike on trademe.com. The person who listed the bike on trademe is a friend of the sellers. Seller does not have ready access to computer or email. I have spoken to the seller on the phone and kickingzebra has met him. Seller has given me his mailing address, but couldn't remember the postal code when I spoke to him....hmmmm
I'm sure someone on here would be able to sort something out for you, like pick the bike up and store it till you arrive. While there's some dodgy individuals on here, in general people in Un Zud (especially bikers) aren't as ready to rip you off as you might fear.As for the postal code, that's not as big a deal here as in Mrka. We've only just (this month, in fact) started really adopting the postal code, so many people don't know what their code is.
It's only a few weeks until you arrive, so I'm sure things will fall into place.

owner
31st October 2008, 10:16
Sounds like you jumped the gun mate. There are heaps of good bikes here. What were you looking at?? I'd ask kickingzebra if he feels the guy is trust worthy and trust him yes or no. Although I have never met him, from my time on here he sounds to me like a genuine good cunt to me. But then again find another bike closer to the time you get there all depends if your looking at something special or common, new or old
and an american is known here as a sepo not a yank
Either way bud goodluck with getting in I hope you love NZ as much as us Im sure our critters need more doctors

vifferman
31st October 2008, 10:24
an american is known here as a sepo not a yank
Is that right? :confused:
I don't even know the term - what does it mean?

owner
31st October 2008, 10:49
Arrr thats for them to find out you see. its something to do with tanks that are full of ????

the vet
31st October 2008, 11:17
I have my mind set on a 650 V-strom for a number of reasons, one of which is that I already have a nice set of panniers that will work on the bike and I can check as luggage on the flight. I have been watching trademe and motorcycletrader for a couple of months now, and this bike is closest to what I'm looking for. Most of the others are listed by dealers and newer and more expensive. I could wait a few more weeks...it may or may not work out for me. Just doesn't seem there are a large number of these bikes on the market.

Thanks for the suggestions

sepo Pete the vet

vifferman
31st October 2008, 11:36
Just doesn't seem there are a large number of these bikes on the market.
That's because our market isn't huge, and the SV650 would be snapped up fairly quickly by people who have graduated to a full motorcycle licence.
Excellent choice for Noo Zilund, Pete! :niceone: You'll be able to do lots of exploring on that. (Plus our main thoroughfares often resemble neglected back roads, with correspondingly poor tarseal).
It sounds like you've reasoned things out well - a bird in the hand, and all that. I think sticking with your TradeMe buy and waiting for someone on here to offer to help out with it would be a good idea.

Tank
31st October 2008, 12:36
I have my mind set on a 650 V-strom for a number of reasons, one of which is that I already have a nice set of panniers that will work on the bike and I can check as luggage on the flight.

Top bike! You are a man of obvious taste and style.

Good idea bringing the panniers - they cost a bloody fortune here (want to bring a spare set for me?)

kevfromcoro
31st October 2008, 13:07
JUST DONE A RUN ON V STROM......i can see why you like them........
pop me a pm...will find ya one....
think we have met b4........
adv......rider.......
going for a ride......
V-STROM......
when do you get here....
give me a day or two.
will find one for ya...
Regards KEV

the vet
1st November 2008, 04:41
JUST DONE A RUN ON V STROM......i can see why you like them........
pop me a pm...will find ya one....
think we have met b4........
adv......rider.......
going for a ride......
V-STROM......
when do you get here....
give me a day or two.
will find one for ya...
Regards KEV

Yep, I've posted over there in the NZ forum. I arrive Auckland Dec 7. Currently have my eyes on a used V-strom, trying to work out the details of an advance purchase. I'll let you know whether it works out or not...thanks for your offer of help.