PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a visitor

VTwinChick
26th October 2008, 05:47
Hello all!

I am planning on a trip to NZ from Seattle. I am so excited about riding the backroads, seeing the beautiful scenery, and making new friends. I'll be coming in the January to March timeframe and plan to take 2 weeks riding both islands. Would love to get input on the following:

1. best time to come for weather/crowds (I am not that interested in going to the big cities. Want to see the scenery and back roads)

2. best options for lodging (looks like the bike rental will be 2000-3000 USD so am interested in economy not luxury.)

3. best way to hook up with local folks to join on rides

4. best options for renting (looking for touring bikes...I'm too short for Beemers!)

I've got a book on the best rides in NZ and thought I would just link them together. I'm into the scenery but also love twisty roads. I have a 2007 Road King Custom and love it when I get a chance to scrape the floor boards!

I also love good beer and would love to hear about the better hangouts! :beer:

Thanks all!

Laura
aka VTwinChick

CookMySock
26th October 2008, 06:23
Hi Laura,

You will have fun in NZ. Post stories and pictures in this forum, and you will triple your friends, as site members welcome you into their homes etc. Many many visitors to NZ go home with a tear in their eye after having done this, and some never go home at all. Kiwis are always keen to meet visitors here doing the bike touring thing.

Feb-March would be really great for weather, and to dodge the crowds. Avoid early January.

There are plenty of backpackers places to stay here. The countryside is literally scattered with them, and many of them have a unique flavour.

What is your first, second, and third choice for a rental bike? What end of the country would you rather collect it from? You can outright purchase a reasonable bike for US$2-3k.

Steve

DUCATI*HARD
26th October 2008, 06:25
MAKE SURE TO DO THE CORRO LOOP:niceone:

sidecar bob
26th October 2008, 06:33
MAKE SURE TO DO THE CORRO LOOP:niceone:

Make sure you do it during the week while all the tuggers that think they can ride are at work.

Dan Mapp
26th October 2008, 06:34
Hi there sounds like a great holiday you will will lots of places to stay and lots of riding and beer drink buddies when you get to Taranaki.

portokiwi
26th October 2008, 06:38
:niceone: Welcome hope you enjoy your stay here in NZ.

Slyer
27th October 2008, 06:33
Xena! You must that show was made here then. :)
Buying a bike might be a good idea to save money if you're looking at a grand or two to rent anyway. (Not sure how much it is)

Waylander
27th October 2008, 07:26
I'm into the scenery but also love twisty roads. I have a 2007 Road King Custom and love it when I get a chance to scrape the floor boards!

Wouldn't even have to leave the main highway to do that here.

fatzx10r
27th October 2008, 07:30
enjoy your time in nz. and be sure to cruz the crown range if you are in central otago :niceone:

Mr Merde
27th October 2008, 08:56
Hello all!

I am planning on a trip to NZ from Seattle. I am so excited about riding the backroads, seeing the beautiful scenery, and making new friends. I'll be coming in the January to March timeframe and plan to take 2 weeks riding both islands. Would love to get input on the following:

1. best time to come for weather/crowds (I am not that interested in going to the big cities. Want to see the scenery and back roads)

2. best options for lodging (looks like the bike rental will be 2000-3000 USD so am interested in economy not luxury.)

3. best way to hook up with local folks to join on rides

4. best options for renting (looking for touring bikes...I'm too short for Beemers!)

I've got a book on the best rides in NZ and thought I would just link them together. I'm into the scenery but also love twisty roads. I have a 2007 Road King Custom and love it when I get a chance to scrape the floor boards!

Thanks all!

Laura
aka VTwinChick

Laura,

Get in touch with the KB member Korumba.

He is in your city at the moment and knowing him he will be able to give you a good idea of rides and such in this country.

He has been based out of your city for the past 3 months now whiule riding up and down the west coast.

cowboy
27th October 2008, 09:09
enjoy your time in nz. and be sure to cruz the crown range if you are in central otago :niceone:

Hawdy VTwinChick & welcome. The south island is an awesome place to ride with lots to see & the crown range is a must do. Heres some pics

slimjim
27th October 2008, 10:50
and getting your floorboard down...well most kiwis enjoy trying to get knees down... lol...and yup plenty of backpackers or post an plenty of spare beds open up...however don't be afraid to spend plenty of time :drool: cause its a little place with a-plenty to enjoy..:clap:

Titanium
27th October 2008, 12:19
What is your first, second, and third choice for a rental bike? What end of the country would you rather collect it from? You can outright purchase a reasonable bike for US$2-3k.

Steve

Especially with the dollar heading south to 50 cents real quick, that would give you $4000 - $6000 NZD to buy one and sell it on your departure.

If you head over toe the East Cape ..... Gisborne way ..... can sort you out some diggs .....

MotoGirl
27th October 2008, 12:40
We stayed in Top 10 (http://www.top10.co.nz/) cabins when we toured the South Island in March this year. They're good facilities and reasonably priced.

February can be one of the hottest months of the year. March generally has good weather and reasonable temperatures that don't make you melt in your leathers.

If I only had two weeks to tour NZ, I'd spent the majority of my time down south. In my opinion, the scenery and roads are far superior to the North Island.

Griffin
28th October 2008, 08:07
Hello all!

I am planning on a trip to NZ from Seattle. I am so excited about riding the backroads, seeing the beautiful scenery, and making new friends. I'll be coming in the January to March timeframe and plan to take 2 weeks riding both islands.

Well this thread looks like its been hijacked for use as a personal shit slinging competition between Bob and Duc... what a shame - If this was my thread I would be rethinking my decision about coming over...!

Not all of us kiwis are playground name callers VTwin Chick.

In answer to some of your questions.

1. best time to come for weather/crowds (I am not that interested in going to the big cities. Want to see the scenery and back roads) Anywhere in the Jan - March timeframe would be perfect, its Summer here then and the weather is usually great. School Holidays finish here around the end of Jan / beginning of Feb so if you want to miss out on all the schoolkids hanging around then come after that.

2. best options for lodging (looks like the bike rental will be 2000-3000 USD so am interested in economy not luxury.) Backpackers & Hostels are widely available throughout NZ and can be found easily with a copy of the "Jasons Travel Guide" which you can get for free once you arrive... most Car hire places / motels etc have them. Or... make friends here on KB and you may be able to get free stays for parts of your journey...

3. best way to hook up with local folks to join on rides If your into riding Cruisers, check out this site... http://www.nzcruisergroup.co.nz and perhaps look at joining as a temporary member, they're good guys and keen to join other Cruiser fanatics for rides in their areas.

4. best options for renting (looking for touring bikes...I'm too short for Beemers!) Check out this site... it lists all the companies that hire Motorbikes in NZ and gives their web addresses / email etc.
http://www.travelplanner.co.nz/transport/motorcycle.cfm

Hope this helps... :)

scracha
28th October 2008, 19:25
Just my tuppence worth

Umm 2 weeks both islands.....Ouch. Consider getting a connecting flight down to the south island.

Top 10's are generally pretty good (apart from the miserable sod that runs the one in Dunedin) although we normally found digs by just chatting to folks in pubs(friendly folk most kiwis). Wouldn't advise riding at night as drink driving is unfortunately a national past time.

Probably cheaper buying and selling as opposed to renting. Bank on about 4 to 6 grand for something semi decent (you don't want something too nice in case it attracts thieves or you crash it) and you should pretty much get what you paid for it back.

Take a day out to kayak in the Milford sound or a couple of days to kayak in Abel Tasmin. South island, west coast much better bike roads. Skip the east coast SH1 from Christchurch to Dunedin as it's seriously boring....as much as Oamaru is a nice town. Catlins very pretty.....Stuart Island don't bother. Road to Milford sound is superb but as you're on limited time consider a helicopter trip from Queenstown (you can haggle if they've got extra spaces on the chopper). The south island lakes are unbelievably pretty.

If you're in Auckland on a Saturday Morning then Otara market is the place to get your Souvenirs. Start eating Vitamin B tabs a week before you arrive as it seems to stop the damned sand flies biting. Buy a vodafone Sim for your moby at the airport. Tell the folks on kiwibiker you want to go "pig sticking" and ensure you watch a rugby match.

Be careful though, you might end up staying here like the girlfriend and I (and loads of other kiwibikers).

roadracingoldfart
29th October 2008, 20:55
Just my tuppence worth

Umm 2 weeks both islands.....Ouch. Consider getting a connecting flight down to the south island.

Top 10's are generally pretty good (apart from the miserable sod that runs the one in Dunedin) although we normally found digs by just chatting to folks in pubs(friendly folk most kiwis). Wouldn't advise riding at night as drink driving is unfortunately a national past time.

Probably cheaper buying and selling as opposed to renting. Bank on about 4 to 6 grand for something semi decent (you don't want something too nice in case it attracts thieves or you crash it) and you should pretty much get what you paid for it back.

Take a day out to kayak in the Milford sound or a couple of days to kayak in Abel Tasmin. South island, west coast much better bike roads. Skip the east coast SH1 from Christchurch to Dunedin as it's seriously boring....as much as Oamaru is a nice town. Catlins very pretty.....Stuart Island don't bother. Road to Milford sound is superb but as you're on limited time consider a helicopter trip from Queenstown (you can haggle if they've got extra spaces on the chopper). The south island lakes are unbelievably pretty.

If you're in Auckland on a Saturday Morning then Otara market is the place to get your Souvenirs. Start eating Vitamin B tabs a week before you arrive as it seems to stop the damned sand flies biting. Buy a vodafone Sim for your moby at the airport. Tell the folks on kiwibiker you want to go "pig sticking" and ensure you watch a rugby match.

Be careful though, you might end up staying here like the girlfriend and I (and loads of other kiwibikers).

I agree with all Scracha says about the South Island. Im in my late 40s and never went down there till 3 years ago and i loved the place . Its so scenic and the roads are just awesome (unlike the N.I goat tracks) .
Look out a couple of farm stay places as its a good way to get in an interesting aspect of N.Z. rural life .

Ohhh and if Scracha wants he can go back with you , we wont miss him too much .:shutup: :blink:

Have a good time whatever you choose.

CookMySock
30th October 2008, 08:09
It has to be said, don't worry about the loudmouths you hear on this forum. You will never come in contact with them in real life. Kiwis are helpful and fun people.

Steve

Slyer
30th October 2008, 08:25
Uhm, she hasn't logged in since she first posted it. :laugh:

the vet
30th October 2008, 17:38
Uhm, she hasn't logged in since she first posted it. :laugh:

That's OK. I'm soaking up all this advice, and I'll be there in 5 weeks....can't wait!

Blossom
30th October 2008, 17:52
What airport are you coming in on? Cause buying a bike quickly is gonna be a bit easier in Auckland than in Christchurch I would think. Maybe hook up with someone on here who can scout out a bike for you before you arrive?

the vet
31st October 2008, 09:19
Great minds think alike....I have a bike in mind, and another generous kiwibiker has checked it out for me already. I've also had 2 different folks offer to pick me up at the airport. You all may be used to this kind of hospitality to a stranger, but I've been living near Oakland, CA for the past 6 years----one of the higher crime rates in the country, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the generous offers and help I have already received. So thanks again for the good idea. See my other thread if you have some ideas about how I can make a risk free bike purchase in NZ from here in the States...I don't think its possible without some risk, but I'm soliciting ideas anyway.

Pete

What airport are you coming in on? Cause buying a bike quickly is gonna be a bit easier in Auckland than in Christchurch I would think. Maybe hook up with someone on here who can scout out a bike for you before you arrive?

SDU
31st October 2008, 16:29
That's OK. I'm soaking up all this advice, and I'll be there in 5 weeks....can't wait!

Yip & you can probably pick up a bit off locum work around the place if you're around for awhile, especially at after hours clinics.

SDU
31st October 2008, 16:33
Oh & will you bloody northerners stop telling everyone to come down south & clog up our roads :nono:

it's not really lovely down here folks:innocent:

H00dz
31st October 2008, 16:54
Kia Ora from the sunny north !!!,

Of course their some nice riding in the Far North: (West Coast) Auckland to Dargaville, Waipoua Forest, Opononi, Mangamukas to the Cape. to name a few.
(West Coast) could include Mangonui-Whangaroa, through to Kerikeri or Waitangi, the whole ride could be done in a day or spread to 2-3 days max to include to nice rest stops, back packers or B & B.

Let us know when you set your itinerary

Hope your trip is everything you hope it Will be !!!!!

Northland Hard :niceone:

the vet
1st November 2008, 04:38
I hope to post a ride report/online journal as I go. We'll see how it goes. Arrive in Auckland Dec 7....that is the extent of my itinerary right now. The first agenda item is to pick up a bike and get the panniers mounted. Next item would be to hit the beach for 5-7 days, take a few long deep breaths, and learn to surf....then I'll hit the road and begin the journey.

TimeOut
1st November 2008, 05:16
Oh & will you bloody northerners stop telling everyone to come down south & clog up our roads :nono:

it's not really lovely down here folks:innocent:

Yea right

The North has some good roads too. In February my brother took us from Wellington through the back roads to Napier around the East Cape, Coro loop and home.

Absolutely fabulous roads and great scenery wonderful trip.

McJim
1st November 2008, 07:48
2 Weeks isn't long enough to see New Zealand - but good luck trying.

for people taking a long time to tour NZ buying a bike then selling it is a good cheap way to hire a bike but you need time to sell it - I have found when selling stuf in New Zealand that Kiwis are a lot tighter than Scots and take a lot more coaxing to part with their cash within a set time period.

If you rent at least you know where you stand.

Gimme a shout if you're coming to the far south and we'll take you to see Burt Munro's world famous Indian.

VTwinChick
8th November 2008, 14:41
Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I'm really looking forward to the trip. I have ridden everything from enduros to sport bikes to cruisers (kind of in the cruiser mode now.) I am partial to the touring bikes because of the comfort factor but would be willing to try a sport bike. I'm a little too short for BMW's.

Turns out I'll be in Japan the last week of February and the first week of March. Trying to decide if I should go to NZ before or after. Any advice?

CookMySock
8th November 2008, 15:12
Turns out I'll be in Japan the last week of February and the first week of March. Trying to decide if I should go to NZ before or after. Any advice?Dunno if you schedule will allow you to bring a bike in from Japan (and sell it here when you're done with it), but if you can pull it off it will be worth your while financially.

Steve

Pixie
16th November 2008, 08:04
2 Weeks isn't long enough to see New Zealand - but good luck trying.

for people taking a long time to tour NZ buying a bike then selling it is a good cheap way to hire a bike but you need time to sell it - I have found when selling stuf in New Zealand that Kiwis are a lot tighter than Scots and take a lot more coaxing to part with their cash within a set time period.

If you rent at least you know where you stand.

Gimme a shout if you're coming to the far south and we'll take you to see Burt Munro's world famous Indian.

Some dealers will do a guaranteed buyback deal on a bike too

spacemonkey
10th November 2009, 20:42

Well I recommend (almost) anything from the following breweries;
Emersons (Dunedin)
Tuatara (Wellington)
Epic (Auckland)
Wigram (Christchurch)
Green man (Dunedin)
Invercargill brewery (special vote for the stanley green)
Only drink Monteiths on the west coast.... And take the brewery tour in Greymouth
Founders (Nelson)
Halertau (West Auckland).

Have a great trip!

SARGE
10th November 2009, 20:50
L-Plate Rider

Last Activity: 8th January 2009 08:11

spacemonkey
10th November 2009, 21:09
heh :Oops: :shutup:

kwakalover
11th November 2009, 06:26
I'd have to agree with motogirl about the South island, if your on a limited timeframe them its the place to go,

I hired a KTM from auckland a few years ago with full touring kit and did some of the south island with a mate, it was fantastic - i only had a week and a bit so i can tell you a nice route for a flying visit.

saying that pretty much wherever you go in NZ there are fantastic roads and lovely ppl,

the place in auckland i hired my bike from only does KTMs but if you want i can find the number.

I'm up north in whangarei so if your thinking of heading up this way let us now and i'd be happy to show you around

hope you enjoy your time here!:rockon: