PDA

View Full Version : Motard fuel range/extension

ital916
26th October 2008, 06:43
Hey guys,

Just a quick question for you guys and girls that ride road motards. What sort of fuel range do you get off a tank? With the road motards have the manufacturers increased fuel tank size or just left it at normal mx size. Anyone know of any modification to increase fuel tank size. Just curious as a motard would be one of the best bikes to ride around nz, sick through the twisties and it can handles the massive amounts of potholes, bad road conditions and gravel roads.

Oh and has anyone replaced the seat with something more comfortable for their road motar. Thanks for the info, I'm just doing a little research at the moment, their is a husky 610 that looks the shiznic where I work, it teases me every day. :niceone:

orangeback
26th October 2008, 07:04
ome tank dosn't get you to far( see profile pic ) , so i bought this . but for touring i'd be buying an xtx660 if you going around nz, Husky if you broke anything you can wait up to 3-4 months anything jap usuall 6 days max ex japan, and finding a husky shops around nz good luck vs yamaha would be 25/1 yamaha

Devil
26th October 2008, 10:03
KTM 690SM - 13.5 litre tank. Does 25km/l on the open road and 20km/l hooning around.

So open road, 12 Litres will get me 300km (auck to taupo).
Hooning 12 Litres will get me 240km.

I average about 240km on 11Litres (when fuel light comes on) commuting and zipping around.

It's excellent.

AlBundy
26th October 2008, 13:04
Same as Devil here, same bike too, lol.

Got just under 22km/l on the bike with a mix of riding, mostly commuting.

The DRZ has a small tank but as orangeback says, there are many after-market plastic ones around.

Ask Mikkel (I think) about the Husky 610. He has a grey one.... He should be able to give some owners perspectives.....

The 610 is Huskys long ride, comfy, reliable version, so suppose the seat should be okay....

ital916
26th October 2008, 16:27
ahh I see, yeah the husky is the perfect size for me, I have a sit on it in my lunch breaks haha, i like the ktm but ohh so expensive for a student :(, even the lc4s (the previous model i believe?) are expensive second hand. The xt660x i hear is nice but a bit big and heavy no?...will have to test ride me thinks someday. I dunno it kinda sparked on me that a motard is the best of a lot of worlds and would be a sick commuter too.

AlBundy
26th October 2008, 17:08
The XT is heavy and underpowered IMO....

Even my 690 SM is on the porky side. A motard shouldn't be heavy. The 690 SMC is 139.5 kg and the 610 is 142kg's I believe. That's probably as heavy as it should be, to be a reliable, long service machine....

That Husky is sweet, I must say... If you can get good support by working for them, I'd say it's an awesome buy... Just do some research on them. From my reading they were good. About the only thing you had to keep an eye on, was the cam chain tensioner and chain. 10k intervals for those... And that's replace....
There's a reed block on the side of the cases, which can be ground away by a worn chain, so as long as you know your bike and the sounds it makes, you'll be good to go...
Thumpertalk was a good source of info.... Mostly motor related but that's more what info you want to know anyway...

kezzafish
26th October 2008, 23:15
i get 150-170ks on a tank in the DRZ (before i have to switch to reserve) then maybe another 30ks before she's dry. definately not a comfy cruiser but a commuting weapon for sure

Gremlin
26th October 2008, 23:56
KTM 690SM - 13.5 litre tank. Does 25km/l on the open road and 20km/l hooning around.

It's excellent.
Just don't get anything bigger... bigger stuff LIKES gas (couldn't be the way I'm riding could it? :innocent:)

Devil
27th October 2008, 09:23
Just don't get anything bigger... bigger stuff LIKES gas (couldn't be the way I'm riding could it? :innocent:)

Still haven't got proof you've actually got it...

Oh and Al, that porkiness of the SM is pretty much cured almost to SMC weight when you biff the exhaust for a single system.
151kg --> 142kg. Plus take into account the larger tank...

When I get back from Rarotonga i'll be investigating the SC-project single system ;)

Gremlin
27th October 2008, 13:03

When I get back from Rarotonga i'll be investigating the SC-project single system ;)
I'm reasonably sure I have it... :eek:

Stock systems are terrible, spesh if they have the cats in them. I dropped around 6kg going to an aftermarket system (still twin pipe)

AlBundy
27th October 2008, 13:32

Oh and Al, that porkiness of the SM is pretty much cured almost to SMC weight when you biff the exhaust for a single system.
151kg --> 142kg. Plus take into account the larger tank...

Man, I have internal conflict daily about that pipe... At this stage, it's pretty iminent for me to buy it, lol.... I did some overtime last week, so just waiting to see how much it comes to, then I'll make the decision...

One thing about the pipe... I imagine the bike will need another map, so the fuel economy will suffer for it...... BUT, I could live with that, lol....

Gremlin
27th October 2008, 13:34
One thing about the pipe... I imagine the bike will need another map, so the fuel economy will suffer for it...... BUT, I could live with that, lol....
Depends who you get to do it, but they should load another map for you.

Only problem is that most maps are for other parts of the world, our fuel is a bit different, so it generally runs rich.

*sigh* I see a custom tune coming on :(

AlBundy
27th October 2008, 16:26
Depends who you get to do it, but they should load another map for you.

Only problem is that most maps are for other parts of the world, our fuel is a bit different, so it generally runs rich.

*sigh* I see a custom tune coming on :(

Probably KTM... Most guys get the Akra map loaded. I'll probably still keep the quiet insert, so whether it'll work properly is debatable...

I'll have to chat to KTM and see what other maps they have... It may just work with one of the other maps, since I've heard there may be a normal and extreme map, for these. Still to be confirmed, mind you...

This pipe will be mainly for weight loss and looks. Power is secondary really as long as the rideability is good...

Gremlin
27th October 2008, 16:46
Probably KTM... Most guys get the Akra map loaded. I'll probably still keep the quiet insert, so whether it'll work properly is debatable...
If you are getting the wings, the install notes specifically say that using an akrapovic map is fine :laugh:

No insert, and they are seriously loud, I took my inserts out, and wanted to put them back in, except the screws had fallen into the endcaps (don't ask, a lot of foul language was duly dispatched). I had to take the pipes off to get the bolts back, but the inserts won't come out again.

The bike will respond better without inserts, breathes better, more power etc, but it makes you a mad hooligan through traffic (don't ask... again :rolleyes:)

ital916
27th October 2008, 17:08
did a bit of research and am pretty impressed with the sort of motards available but theyre pretty expensive :eek:, dunno if you can get a motard within under 10k lol. The ktm 690 is sexy especiially the prestige model..yum. A workmate has a 990 superduke with akraprovic pipes...you can hear it from miles away and it'll make you a man standing next to it haha.

AlBundy
27th October 2008, 18:12
If you are getting the wings, the install notes specifically say that using an akrapovic map is fine :laugh:

No insert, and they are seriously loud, I took my inserts out, and wanted to put them back in, except the screws had fallen into the endcaps (don't ask, a lot of foul language was duly dispatched). I had to take the pipes off to get the bolts back, but the inserts won't come out again.

The bike will respond better without inserts, breathes better, more power etc, but it makes you a mad hooligan through traffic (don't ask... again :rolleyes:)

I lost interest in the twin can setup after seeing the single SC-Project one... Have a look at my profile pic, that's the one I want, lol...

Yeah, I doubt I'll be riding it without inserts. I use the bike to work and do shifts, so don't really want to be making a lot of noise in the dead of night... Or first thing in the morning...

did a bit of research and am pretty impressed with the sort of motards available but theyre pretty expensive :eek:, dunno if you can get a motard within under 10k lol. The ktm 690 is sexy especiially the prestige model..yum. A workmate has a 990 superduke with akraprovic pipes...you can hear it from miles away and it'll make you a man standing next to it haha.

Yeah, umm, sorry... We kind of jacked your thread, lol....

So, you still looking at the Husky? It is a good deal for 10k...

Gremlin
27th October 2008, 18:31
did a bit of research and am pretty impressed with the sort of motards available but theyre pretty expensive :eek:,
yes, apologies for diverting the thread a bit.

In terms of expense, it really depends what you are comparing to. Lets take the mid bikes. 600cc supersport vs 690sm (because its being mentioned). Don't know exact numbers, but they probably cost very similar amounts.

With the 600, tons have 'em, fairings, tons of bits you can buy for them. Suspension and brakes are generic jap stuff. Now the katoom... becoming popular (dammit) but still relatively unknown. Brakes and suspension are brembo and WP, and not the bottom of the barrel stuff either. Add that cost onto a 600, and its suddenly costing a whole lot more, and its not factory supported.

Down side of euro stuff, aftermarket is comparatively harder to come by, as the bikes are not as widely sold. Downside of this is directly aimed at the original point of the thread. Parts for jap bikes are going to be much more ready to come by. ie, for my bike, gel seat is still in R&D. One manufacturer may have now released a larger tank, a few weeks ago, nothing was available.

Now, you could look at a dr650, motard wheels etc, and its going to cost $10k or less (you could even get them already motarded). Once again, like any category of bike, the cheaper it is, the less "nice" bits you get, but thats how it goes. I see you have a srv250, so perhaps the extras on a KTM might not be needed?

Personally, I dropped from a 04 zx10, didn't want to drop too much power (but expected to). Definitely appreciate the higher quality suspension and brakes, and put it to the test regularly.

ital916
27th October 2008, 18:36
Haha no worries bout jacking the thread, I was reading with interest lol. Ideally 8k would be max, that way new gear can be had to and other bits and pieces.

How have you guys found your motards on gravel tracks and other off road bits.

Never seen a motarded dr650 before! I will do a search around to find one. My srv250 is slow but I love her so, she is more akin to an old school naked/trail with road tires, nice and upright with mx bars. I throw her aorund like a motard but since she is not a motard it's not as fun :bleh:.

Another problem is I want to tour, and a motard might not be the best for touring. It's a difficut decision.

Gremlin
27th October 2008, 18:48

Another problem is I want to tour, and a motard might not be the best for touring. It's a difficut decision.
Well, re pm, you know what I have. Manual actually says it is not for off road... but no harm with gravel roads aye? :2thumbsup Its not a dirt bike, and on the heavy side, but the dual purpose tyres are very capable, ie, its fine to ride it on dirt tracks, as long as you don't think its a dirt bike.

When you say tour, what have you in mind? I like mine being very cross purpose, around town, country blats, longer distance etc. I did the Grand Challenge on it, which involved 1600km within 24 hours (yes, my arse hurt) and it did it fine. Comfort seat wise was an issue tho.

If you can put up with the lack of wind protection (some sort of screen would be recommended) it should otherwise do it fine, and you still have a bike that loves heading into twisty bits of roads.

Devil
28th October 2008, 08:05

Mine has been on Gravel, dirt, 4wd tracks, over roundabouts and down stairs :D It's fine! Easy to control and fun!

The reason I settled on the KTM690 was because I need a bike that'll do everything, but without TOO much of a compromise.
Performance had to be right up there particularly in the brakes and suspension department.
Engine had to be pokey. It's certainly not the most powerful thing out there, but it FEELS like its getting along, you can thrash it and it's great!
Had to have a reasonable seat. The 690 actually has a reasonable seat on it, no trouble getting a few hundred K out of it (haven't done further than a coro loop so far).
Had to be able to carry luggage. Got the KTM tankbag with it which is pretty cool (plastic gas tank and funny shape means other ones dont really fit). Ventura have just put out a pack rack for it which I got the other day. Really tidy job and good fit! So now I can fit plenty of luggage and tent etc for adventuring.

Gremlin
28th October 2008, 09:51
Ventura have just put out a pack rack for it which I got the other day. Really tidy job and good fit! So now I can fit plenty of luggage and tent etc for adventuring.
noooob, givi is the one true way for carrying luggage!

ok... grumble mutter, I can only do a top box at the mo, but pannier racks are currently being schemed

Devil
28th October 2008, 10:01
noooob, givi is the one true way for carrying luggage!

ok... grumble mutter, I can only do a top box at the mo, but pannier racks are currently being schemed

'cept my bike is too skinny to have an enormous top box on it!

Prob look fine on yours, chubby chaser.

Gremlin
28th October 2008, 10:08
'cept my bike is too skinny to have an enormous top box on it!

Prob look fine on yours, chubby chaser.
gyah... walked into that one like a blind man :doh:

Morcs
28th October 2008, 11:44
ive hit reserve after a mere 110kms on the drz:devil2:

AlBundy
28th October 2008, 15:16

Yeah but, what were you doing to get it? Lol....

kezzafish
28th October 2008, 15:58

crikey! that's how many ks the front tyre did... the rear probably did double that!!

AlBundy
28th October 2008, 16:13
crikey! that's how many ks the front tyre did... the rear probably did double that!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

I'm a bit slow... I never thought that far ahead.....

Mikkel
30th October 2008, 14:28
Ask Mikkel (I think) about the Husky 610. He has a grey one.... He should be able to give some owners perspectives.....

That's correct, it's a 2006 610sm. Mine's had an aftermarket muffler (Bill's pipes) fitted and has been rejetted - does about 18 km/l. I can get about 200 kms out of a tank and the fuel light usually comes on around the 160 km mark.

I believe that the '07 onwards are fuel injected - mine's got a big flatslide carby.

I may in days to come consider getting a camshaft replacement for it which should make it a bit more lively up top. But for the time being I'm having enough fun as it is. :yes:

The 610 is Huskys long ride, comfy, reliable version, so suppose the seat should be okay....

Strike comfy and long ride - that said I'm planning to ride it to Nelson through the Rainbow Road tomorrow, I'll get back to you on how comfortable it is... It is however not a tourer by any definition of the word. Seat is pretty narrow but may be more comfy than the DRZ400 ones though. I've bought a pair of lycra bicycle shorts with padding today (oh the shame of it) to protect my assets over the weekend.

But yes, it's less highly-strung than the 450 and 550 motards. It's more of a work horse than a race motard. It's still fast, nimble and bloody good entertainment - just less maintenance. It's got shitloads of torque, will quite happily spin the rear up on a cold tyre (pilot sport) if I'm not careful.

Devil
30th October 2008, 15:01
I've bought a pair of lycra bicycle shorts with padding today (oh the shame of it) to protect my assets over the weekend.

Have considered getting some of those. Fairly expensive though eh?

Mikkel
30th October 2008, 15:06
Have considered getting some of those. Fairly expensive though eh?

About $129 I think. If it allows me to sit down and enjoy my beer when I get to Nelson the price doesn't matter :no:

:sunny: :apint: :drinknsin :headbang:

Devil
30th October 2008, 15:23
About $129 I think. If it allows me to sit down and enjoy my beer when I get to Nelson the price doesn't matter :no:

:sunny: :apint: :drinknsin :headbang:

Rode a GSXR600K4 from AKL --> Nelson. Arse was fine, but my neck was fucked!
I guess the difference with doing it on the 'tard (when I get around to it) will be all the weight will be on my arse instead of my wrists. Will investigate some of the gaypants.

Mikkel
30th October 2008, 15:33
Rode a GSXR600K4 from AKL --> Nelson. Arse was fine, but my neck was fucked!
I guess the difference with doing it on the 'tard (when I get around to it) will be all the weight will be on my arse instead of my wrists. Will investigate some of the gaypants.

Yeah, did 550 kms on my sportsbike this monday. Neck, upper back and wrists were the things aching afterwards.
On the motard you're very exposed to the wind - so it's quite dependent upon what the weather is like. Neck and back still get a bit of work - but it's the arse that is the real killer.

Gremlin
30th October 2008, 15:46
Shorts should be less expensive than that, top quality ones are around that price... unless prices have changed in the years since my cycling :rolleyes:

I used a pair when I did the Grand Challenge... I was not up to being "brave" for 1600km. Useful things :niceone:

Mikkel
30th October 2008, 15:55
Shorts should be less expensive than that, top quality ones are around that price... unless prices have changed in the years since my cycling :rolleyes:

I used a pair when I did the Grand Challenge... I was not up to being "brave" for 1600km. Useful things :niceone:

I didn't shop around - went into the first and best bike shop and asked for a pair of bikeshorts... with the best padding.

Glad to hear that they might actually be helpful too :)

blueblade
31st October 2008, 21:15
Did the East Cape on my 690 a couple of weeks ago. Hamilton to Gisborne on the first day with the odd detour. 625 kms for the day and my bum only started to really hurt in the last hour. Mind you that was with quite a few stops for food and sightseeing. I have one of the genuine KTM gel seats but found it only marginally more comfortable than the standard seat so in the end I stuck a bit more foam in the standard seat. Much better now.
The bike was really awesome round the cape and back through the Waioweka Gorge. Had an absolute blast.

AlBundy
1st November 2008, 02:58
Did the East Cape on my 690 a couple of weeks ago. Hamilton to Gisborne on the first day with the odd detour. 625 kms for the day and my bum only started to really hurt in the last hour. Mind you that was with quite a few stops for food and sightseeing. I have one of the genuine KTM gel seats but found it only marginally more comfortable than the standard seat so in the end I stuck a bit more foam in the standard seat. Much better now.
The bike was really awesome round the cape and back through the Waioweka Gorge. Had an absolute blast.

That's good to know BUT I'm a scrawny runt, so my bum feels it quicker, lol...

I'm thinking of doing the Southern Cross next year....

AlBundy
2nd November 2008, 20:33
Strike comfy and long ride - that said I'm planning to ride it to Nelson through the Rainbow Road tomorrow, I'll get back to you on how comfortable it is... It is however not a tourer by any definition of the word.

How was the trip?

Mikkel
3rd November 2008, 09:29
How was the trip?

Was good - although there was an unplanned diversion since we didn't get the key for the Rainbow Road (incompetent bureaucrats are the scourge of society IMHO), and of course the gate had been locked the same morning :rolleyes:
So we went 70 kms up the road, got to this massive gate and then had to double back to Hanmer Springs and go around and up the middle. So friday became a rather long day ~630 kms.
Saturday I went riding, by myself since all the other guys were pussies and didn't fancy going riding in the rain... Anyway, went up over Takaka Hill to Collingwood and back ~300 kms. Was a good ride, brilliant weather - heavy rain and strong winds :D
Yesterday I rode back to Christchurch through Blenheim and Kaikoura. Was severely hungover and didn't enjoy the trip at all, just wanted to get home. About 440 kms...
So all in all I've done about 1370 kms in the saddle this weekend and I'm currently sitting down in comfort so not too bad really. My buttocks were a bit uncomfortable at times, but it never got painful as such.

AlBundy
3rd November 2008, 12:55
Awesome stuff... And the Husky never missed a beat I suppose... What tyres are you running at the moment?

So, I take it the cycling shorts were a good thing?

Mikkel
3rd November 2008, 13:25
And the Husky never missed a beat I suppose... What tyres are you running at the moment?

Dunno, it was running a bit odd for the last bit of yesterday. Having it checked over when I'm getting the service done. But it got me there and back without any fuzz. Maybe a bit of water in the fuel from when I went riding in the rain.

Michelin Pilot Power on the front and Michelin Pilot Sport on the rear.

I "dropped" the bike when we got to the camp - put it on its sidestand on boggy ground and went to sit down for a second and then it just slowly toppled over. Didn't get a scratch though.

So, I take it the cycling shorts were a good thing?

I don't know since I don't know what it would have been like without them. But I survived the trip with only slight discomfort, no chaffing, no bleeding, no need for painkillers... I did bring some prescription strength HTFU pills though ;)

AlBundy
3rd November 2008, 13:50
Sweet, hope it's nothing serious and only some water in the fuel...

Mikkel
4th November 2008, 21:23
Sweet, hope it's nothing serious and only some water in the fuel...

I'm pretty sure it isn't water in the fuel.
I also have a feeling it isn't serious.
I'm ashamed to admit that I think I may just have ridden from Nelson to Christchurch without ever disengaging the choke :bash:
At least it was on for no good reason as I went to take the bike to work today and it ran just fine...

I'll blame the hangovers I think! :yes:

AlBundy
5th November 2008, 02:35
Ooh, that'd do it....

NordieBoy
9th November 2008, 20:53
I'm pretty sure it isn't water in the fuel.
I also have a feeling it isn't serious.
I'm ashamed to admit that I think I may just have ridden from Nelson to Christchurch without ever disengaging the choke :bash:
At least it was on for no good reason as I went to take the bike to work today and it ran just fine...

I got 50 odd km into the Rainbow from Hamner and the Nordie was dying every time I stopped to open a gate.

The decompression cable was holding the choke open just slightly.

Mikkel
12th November 2008, 13:24
Yeah, no problems now. The choke was the issue.

Had the bike in for a service and had the valve-clearances checked and the exhaust valves were out slightly, now back to spec. Made a difference too - feels even better now.

AlBundy
12th November 2008, 14:10
Good to hear it's all sorted...

You'd better have a chat to Bulldog... He's eyeing out Motomails one....

Give him your pro's and con's, lol...