PDA

View Full Version : Starting Kids in Off-Road Motorbicycling

BM-GS
2nd February 2005, 14:12
Hi All,

I'm an on-road rider, but I have a young son who loves bikes and I reckon he'd be better learning/hooning off-road than on. I also have another kiddie on the way, so I'll be needing to spend more time with No 1, doing the bonding thing and, um, getting out of the house to mess around with bikes...

Sprog's only 2 (yeah, yeah, way too young) but I figure I'll spend at least a year collecting kit/bikes/trailers/etc to get him/us going, and all the stories you hear about the big names in biking say they started riding bikes as soon as they could stand up. Genetically he'll be a big bugger, so he'll never be a Rossi/Doohan/Everts, but he might as well start riding while he can still bounce.

What I need to know is where to start. And when. What age do kids grow into gear and get enough control to ride? Once he can fit into a helmet and onto a bike, I can go shopping, but then there is the issue of a child-friendly track (or an empty field surrounded by soft bushes), and maybe a club or something? I live/work on the North Shore in Auckland, so Kumeu, Woodhill & Rodney seem the closest places where anything happens.

Any advice on bike shops? There are a few in Takapuna, but as I don't do any off-road riding myself (tried once, fell off more times than I could count and enjoyed every second, until I tried to bend my knee sideways) I don't know a lot about what I'm looking at - except that it'll cost money.

Any & all help appreciated,

jrandom
2nd February 2005, 14:20
I will follow any replies with keen interest, since I'm going to do the same thing. But not until both my kids are over 5, which gives me about three years to figure out how I'm going to afford it.

White trash
2nd February 2005, 14:34
Genetically he'll be a big bugger, so he'll never be a Rossi/Doohan/Everts,

Ever heard of a riding legend named David Jefferies?

Best bet is to grab a new JR50. $1900 brand new and you'll get years out of it. Two's not far from being old enough, provided you're happy with him riding on two wheels.

Training wheels on motorbikes are fuckin' dangerous so don't entertain the thought.

Kids bikes are happy in the boot of the family car so there's no need for a trailer and crap just yet.

jrandom
2nd February 2005, 14:36
a new JR50. $1900 brand new and you'll get years out of it.

Hmmm. :shifty:

Would I fit on one?

Motoracer
2nd February 2005, 14:43
Ever heard of a riding legend named David Jefferies?

Best bet is to grab a new JR50. $1900 brand new and you'll get years out of it. Two's not far from being old enough, provided you're happy with him riding on two wheels.

Training wheels on motorbikes are fuckin' dangerous so don't entertain the thought.

Kids bikes are happy in the boot of the family car so there's no need for a trailer and crap just yet.

Cool avatar dude. How are the girls going on your mini moto by the way?

Krusti
2nd February 2005, 14:43
Bought my son a PW50 when he was about 3 or 4. Was too big and scary for him. Left it in the shed then told him that when he wanted to learn just let me know. Sat there for about a year then one day he asked and away he went!

Biggest mistake parents make is PUSHING. My rule has always been if its not fun dont do it.

He's now 15 and during his MX years he has broken about 7 bones. Many days spent lying beside his bed in Hospital! Every time he majorly hurt himself I would give him the option of carrying on racing or giving up. He would always say "like hell" untill last year when he broke his collar bone for the third time and he said he just wanted to take a break. Hasnt raced since but has taken up road riding with mum and Dad.

His MX experiance has allready saved his bacon a number of times on the road and unlike his father in years to come he wont be able to say "what if?"

Do all you can for your kids, its heaps of fun and at least its a family thing which lasts right into their teenage years.

Just dont be one of those pushy bitching parents or I will come and smash you myself! :ar15:

I found I had more fun coaching/helping my son than I did racing myself, dosn't help tho when they start blowing you in the weeds :second:

Let them go at their own pace and they will be fine. As far as possible buy good second hand gear except for helmets which should be replaced regularly.

NEVER SCRIMP ON SAFETY GEAR. ALWAYS GET CORRECT FITTING.

Have Fun :2thumbsup

Krusti
2nd February 2005, 14:46
After years of spending money on faster bikes and flasher gear I finally realised that the best money you can spend is on a good coach. :done:

TonyB
2nd February 2005, 15:55
I will follow any replies with keen interest, since I'm going to do the same thing. But not until both my kids are over 5, which gives me about three years to figure out how I'm going to afford it.
Me too. So 3 or 4 was too young? Obviously it depends on the kid, but my daughter is the oldest and shes a bit cautious when trying new things so based on that I can't see her wanting to try before she hits five or six. Time to start putting money in the piggy bank.

FROSTY
2nd February 2005, 20:51
well just an idea here to get him out there in the bush would be woohill park.
Noone has mentioned quads yet-Baby bikie has one and he totally loves it
He's getting his head around throttle control and balance ideas.

NordieBoy
2nd February 2005, 21:01
Do they do ClassicMX days where you are?
LaidBack trail rides?

There's always a handfull (literally) of nippers on pw's etc haring around at those days down here.

BM-GS
3rd February 2005, 09:47
Cheers all, for the guidance. Will investigate a quad, as that takes the balance part out of the equation (until he starts tipping it over!).

Agree totally with comments about pushy parents, quality gear, etc. There's too much stuff to do without doing stuff you don't like, or doing it for other people's sake.

As for Dave Jefferies, I have the 2002 IoM TT on DVD at home, complete with his assorted 125mph laps. I'm not planning on buying the 03 version, where he failed to make it round. RIP DJ.

I'll check for ClassicMX stuff. I know there are some "family days", but they don't say what ages they start! And I don't want to start the wife doing MX, cos she's real competetive but breaks the cardinal rule and always picks somewhere hard to land...

White trash
3rd February 2005, 10:01
Cool avatar dude. How are the girls going on your mini moto by the way?

How you like them apples?

Motoracer
3rd February 2005, 10:23
How you like them apples?

:laugh: I bet you've fliped that thing doing a wheelie...

White trash
3rd February 2005, 10:41
:laugh: I bet you've fliped that thing doing a wheelie...

No, but Hayden liquid cooled one will wheelie off the throttle and does a GENUINE 85kph. It's fucken terifying!

soundbeltfarm
3rd February 2005, 20:40
got my boy a lt 50 he just turned 3 and he,s had it for about 8 monthes.
he loves it we just keep an eye on him in the paddock and he,s sorted out using the brake and throttle control.
i just screwed the throttle stop screw in and as he got better i screwed it out more.
i found that buying new was a far better option as all the second hand ones still fetched a good price.
so i'll put both kids on them then upgrade to 2 wheels.
lukes been on our friends crf50 and he was shady at the start but got better.
anyway thats my 2cents

ajturbo
3rd February 2005, 23:00
luke is hooning around on the scooter... must post a photo...but we are still after a really really cheep trail type bike, that we can pull down fix up and just tey and killl it ...... :devil2:
luke is 12

jrandom
3rd February 2005, 23:19
Me too. So 3 or 4 was too young? Obviously it depends on the kid...

Hmmm, yes. Under-5s (hell, under-10s, even) are just such delicate wee things. I know how much hitting something, even just at 50kph, hurts. And I'm not exactly fragile. I just can't bear the thought of my wee sprogs bouncing off hard objects and crunching up their bony bits and pieces, snapping their scrawny little necks around... shudder.

So they can damn well wait to get on a motorbicycle until they're big enough that they're not going to come apart when they fall off. 5 is just a random number. If I still feel too worried when they're 5 (and I probably will) they can wait some more. It's MY money buying the bikes...

TonyB
4th February 2005, 06:57
I just can't bear the thought of my wee sprogs bouncing off hard objects and crunching up their bony bits and pieces, snapping their scrawny little necks around... shudder...
Well thats a releif, I thought I was worrying too much. Nice to see I have some company. I know from personal experience that one small mistake when you're young can affect you for the rest of your life. Tends to make me over cautious.

"I promised Nemo I'd never let anything happen to him"
"If you never let anything happen to him, then nothing would ever happen to him.......not much fun for little Harpo, is it?"

Dutchee
4th February 2005, 07:21
In answer to the question about what ages family day trailrides start - it depends on how old the youngest person is on the day. I know we get at least one 3yo (on a quad) at the waitemata motorcycle club family days.

There is no age limit, kids are whatever age they are - be it 3 or 73. It's up to the parents as to when they think the kid's ready. The most common phrase I've heard is when you can ride a bicycle without training wheels we'll get you a bike, which makes sense to me.

You could always head up to a family day to check it out & generally have a look around as they have short loops for the little ones & learners (so you can see something, unlike trailrides where you'd see about nothing). That way you'd get to see what's what & also for the little one to even show an interest (plenty of kids see other little ones having fun & then get keen to get their own bike).

NordieBoy
4th February 2005, 14:06
luke is hooning around on the scooter... must post a photo...but we are still after a really really cheep trail type bike, that we can pull down fix up and just tey and killl it ...... :devil2:
luke is 12

Should have seen the Yammy QT50 scooter (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/Frames-suspension-bodywork/auction_photo-21551141/permanent-0/photoid-7598844/title-Yamaha+QT50.htm) on TradeMe, it was done up with knobblies as an off roader.

http://202.21.128.4/photoserver/44/7598844_full.jpg

Midnight 82
4th February 2005, 20:50
:ride: I learnt to ride on a RV90 on the farm many moons ago. Also a gemini 50 :sick: Cool

BNZ
14th February 2005, 14:28
[QUOTE=BM-GS]Cheers all, for the guidance. Will investigate a quad, as that takes the balance part out of the equation (until he starts tipping it over!).
[QUOTE]

Hmmm, we will come away from a 2 wheeler crash a lot better then a 3/4 wheeler! I think 3 and 4 wheelers should be left for the farm and for more experienced riders as the arent as forgiving when the shit hits the fan. I have a CRF50 as a bit of a toy, and there is an adjustment on the handle bar to limit the throttle for kids...

sAsLEX
14th February 2005, 15:19
I just can't bear the thought of my wee sprogs bouncing off hard objects and crunching up their bony bits and pieces, snapping their scrawny little necks around... shudder.

kids bounce better than adults though, and heal much faster, and learn quicker

so its best to get them on earlyish I reckon

130wide
2nd April 2005, 21:37
My sons being riding by himself since he was 16 months, these pic are him at 20 months and 26 months. He can't use the brake (hands still to small) so he's learnt very good throttle control espeicaly after hitting a fence.
No pressure from us, if we go for a ride we ask him if he wants to come or if he wants to ride he will asks us, which is about 2-3 times a week, bugger that......

Timber020
3rd April 2005, 22:49
If you going to get your kids into off road riding its all good so long as they do other activities such as BMX riding and swimming etc as kids bodies as they grow will adapt to activities that they do. Doing other activitys will help prepare and strengthen backs and knees for the hammering they are likely to get.
Limit the bikes, that way as they learn you can increase the hp and keep the speed safe. Things such as the attack position are really important for the survivability of the back and kidneys as well as giving the rider better control.

The pegs and bar position on mini bikes are put in a middle ground for all kids between 4 and 8, yet there is a big size difference. Look at cutting and repositioning the pegs (only by a few inches) and frustratingly the brake and gearshift (although on most minibikes the gearshift isnt operated much)to be in the best position for your kid at the size they are, you can do quite a bit with the bars and seat to. Doesnt always look pretty but a bike should fit the rider, the rider shouldnt try to fit the bike.