PDA

View Full Version : tyre pressure sensors

toads
3rd February 2005, 08:22
I was chatting to a bloke this morning with regard to tyres and he told me about this product which is now compulsory on heavy vehicles in the states, as yet it hasn't been big in Nz but it really is only a matter of time, I was wondering how many of you guys that race bikes have heard of such a thing and would it be something you would consider fitting to your race bike?

http://www.infineon.co.nz/cgi/ecrm.dll/ecrm/scripts/prod_ov.jsp?oid=49684&cat_oid=-9383

Holy Roller
3rd February 2005, 10:41
May want to have better specs though
"* Pressure sensor: Range: 50-1400 kPa Resolution: 2.97kPa Accuracy: +/- 28 kPa"

+/- 28KPA ~
28 kilopascal = 4.0610567 pound-force/square inch (PSI)
can be + or - thats 8psi difference :shit:

scroter
3rd February 2005, 10:46
at 8psi differnce theyd only be really useful on trucks and machinery etc.

750Y
3rd February 2005, 11:52
plus can you imagine what happens to it at 180mph?

Kickaha
3rd February 2005, 18:13
some european cars have these as standard fitment as well,but the car version doesn't tell you what pressure your tyre is at,it only gives you a low pressure warning

I can remember some trucking companys in NZ fitting them 10 years+ ago and quite a few logging trucks have systems to inflate/deflate tyres from the cab

For a race bike you'd normally check your pressures frequently so it probably wouldn't be any advantage

toads
4th February 2005, 07:02
I didn't mean this particular model of sensor, as stated it's used for heavy trucks etc, what I was referring to was the concept, I hadn't heard of it but thought about what tyre pressures do to bikes handling and thought maybe someone would be interested in developing this concept for bikes, and should it be developed how many of you racing types would consider using it?

scroter
4th February 2005, 10:28
I didn't mean this particular model of sensor, as stated it's used for heavy trucks etc, what I was referring to was the concept, I hadn't heard of it but thought about what tyre pressures do to bikes handling and thought maybe someone would be interested in developing this concept for bikes, and should it be developed how many of you racing types would consider using it?

maybe this would be a good idea for all vehicles even that one, after all ive seen people driving round on a flat tyre oblivious to it. i think for racing you would feel if your tyre has lost pressure even normal road riding/ driving you should feel it unless you got tyres that require 90-100psi.

Slim
4th February 2005, 10:45
Do not be tempted by these: http://www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com/products.asp

I've heard horror stories regularly from English & American friends (for example (http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184125))

Spend the money on a decent tyre guage & check them regularly.

Motohaus
15th February 2005, 15:50
these are made by a company called ztecknic and designed in conjuction wiyh pirelli they are not sold in nz but in states they retail for 199.00 cheaper nto check your tyre pressure once a week anjd buy a good $100.00 guage

FzerozeroT
15th February 2005, 17:10
More relevant for racing is tyre temperature.

enigma51
15th February 2005, 17:15
Pirelli has a sensor made for motorcycles go and check out there website.
Bit expensive I would think