PDA

View Full Version : Paint bubbles on tank - advice?

mister.koz
29th October 2008, 16:41
So i got a zx6rr and its awesome, growls and gnarls like its going to eat the give way sign in front and take a dump of its remains on the next SUV we encounter.

I noticed some bubbles in the paint by the fuel cap the other day and i have been trying to figure them out... Showed a made and he reckons that i must have splashed some petrol on it and the petrol has seeped through the paint and subsequently vaporized thus making the bubble.

He reckons a pin prick and some nail polish with solve the issue.

I am not convinced...

Any pointers?

crazefox
29th October 2008, 17:34
He could be right or it has had a shit paint job and the petrol is eating the tank or it could be the start of rust:spanking:

wysper
29th October 2008, 17:38
I noticed some bubbles in the paint

He reckons a prick and some nail polish with solve the issue.

1. Stop dribbling on your tank. Just wipe it off. :2thumbsup

2. If there is a prick with nail polish I suspect you have other issues :oi-grr:

Sorry - no useful help here obviously.

mister.koz
30th October 2008, 09:12
He could be right or it has had a shit paint job and the petrol is eating the tank or it could be the start of rust:spanking:

Its not rust.

1. Stop dribbling on your tank. Just wipe it off. :2thumbsup

2. If there is a prick with nail polish I suspect you have other issues :oi-grr:

Sorry - no useful help here obviously.

Glad no one could be of help.. jeez

ManDownUnder
30th October 2008, 09:17
Take it to a panelbeater and have them quickly eyeball it.

Bubbles - air where it shouldn't be. Air = oxygen (plus other stuff of course) and oxygen promotes rust if it's near metal. As the once owner of a bike with a farken HUGE rusty/crappy patch on my tank ... I'd get expert advise on dealing with it rather than a mate suggesting you poke a hole in there to let fuel vapor out.

I'd be farken amazed if fuel could soak through the paint on a fuel tank (that'd be a special paint design to resist fuel wouldn't you think?)... and nothing personal - sounds like your mate's MILES off.
Expert advice now - "just a looksee" will save you truckloads in the longer term.

ManDownUnder
30th October 2008, 09:21
Its not rust.

If it isn't rust now - it's proving an entry point for water/oxygen (whatever it is in there got there somehow - and O2 will probably get there the same way). And when it eventually splits the point - it will become rust pretty quick.

Per the previous post - I'd get it checked. That rust spot on another bike I had was fugly.

mister.koz
30th October 2008, 09:24
If it isn't rust now - it's proving an entry point for water/oxygen (whatever it is in there got there somehow - and O2 will probably get there the same way). And when it eventually splits the point - it will become rust pretty quick.

Per the previous post - I'd gte it checked. That rust spot on another bike I had was fugly.

Thanks man :) my faith has been restored. Will take it to a panel and paint guy on the weekend.

cheerz

vifferman
30th October 2008, 09:25
What MDU said.
Gastank paint should at the very most just get a bit dull if fuel's spilled on it, but shouldn't actually show any signs of contact. The only bubbles I've seen on gastank paint were rust pinholes on the inside of the tank.

slimjim
7th November 2008, 08:31
i wouldn't think your mates too far off...as generally if the screws which hold the fuel cap mount have split the paint between base coat and finish coat has allowed gas fuel bubble to happening.pressure from fuel tank gasses..doesn't matter too age of bike either...matters on when the cap mount was installed..ask a nurse/ local druggiee(lol) for one of their needles that allows you to draw out the air/bubble...don't think that poking it and then spuezzeing it by pressure via finger is the best way.. however as your taken it to a panel shop...update on what they think please..

mister.koz
7th November 2008, 08:35
i wouldn't think your mates too far off...as generally if the screws which hold the fuel cap mount have split the paint between base coat and finish coat has allowed gas fuel bubble to happening..doesn't matter too age of bike either...matters on when the cap mount was installed..ask a nurse/ local druggiee(lol) for one of their needles that allows you to draw out the air/bubble...don't think that poking it and then spuezzeing it by pressure via finger is the best way.. however as your taken it to a panel shop...update on what they think please..

I never thought of that... i think the cap has been bumped at some stage too. The bike has been on the track so its been subjected to quite allot of force i imagine.

Will post up here when the panel guy gives me the word.

cheerz dude

mister.koz
20th November 2008, 12:58
Ok, long wait i know but took it to the panel guy today.

He tells me that its likely that there were really fine drips of fuel on the primer or under-side layers of pait when the tank was re-sprayed and they have vapourised.

He said that because the outer layer of clear which was hard as glass and not cracked or punctured at all it couldn't have passed through the paint, was always there. So i may end up re-spraying the tank, not too much for paint but allot of labour..

anyone knows where to get the proper kawasaki paint, i would be stoaked :)

vifferman
20th November 2008, 14:34
i would be stoaked :)
Um... is that anything like "stoated"? :confused:

mister.koz
20th November 2008, 14:39
Um... is that anything like "stoated"? :confused:

What are you another one of the spelling critics that randomly pop up to pointlessly misdirect threads towards your superior spelling ability?