PDA

View Full Version : Low rev miss + solution

mctshirt
31st October 2008, 05:50
I post this here because I was hell bent on pulling the carbs out and cleaning them which as it turned out wouldn't have solved the problem on a 1993 Suzuki GSF400P Bandit.

I got back from riding round on Monday and discovered the bike was missing a bit - by Tuesday night a lot - at idle to 4000rpm it ran like a hairy dog.

Swapped spark plugs and caps to no avail and number two cylinder was a bit cooler than the rest after starting. Started fine and ran over 4000rpm fine. I suspected a carb blockage and rang the local dealer with a view to getting them cleaned absolutely convinced that was the problem.

Took bike to Andersons and Tony the workshop foreman reckons nothing mechanical and running fine apart from the hairy dog low rev idle. He suggested a possible short somewhere with outside chance of carb blockage and was reluctant to take the carbs out without further investigation. God bless him and his family!!! :niceone:

Now I had an intermittent problem with the headlight lamp plug a few months ago just prior to a WOF so I did a jobby on it and forgot about it as all seemed ok. Coincidently the headlight had started to act up again with high beam light randomly coming on and headlight going off again. Back home I ripped the headlight out and the first thing to make a difference was fiddling with melting lamp plug with huge short so I thought start there then if new plug for lamp doesn't make a difference difference the carbs were gonna get it.

Thanks to Erik here on KB a Narva Globe Holder P/no 4989BL from Repco for the 5 bucks fixed everything, bike runs as smooth as a baby's bum and the carbs rest easy unmolested. :clap:

Lesson learned - fix it properly the first time and eliminate everything else before tearing into the carbs!