PDA

View Full Version : Arseholes on scooters on motorways

snuffles
31st October 2008, 07:15
When are the law makers in this country going to make a law that stops 50cc scooters fronm being owned, imported, or ridden in a 100KM zone.

I know thjis has probably been done to death, but after this mornings ride in, i just need to have a rant.

How many people are going to need to be run down by trucks, or shot by angry motorcyclists, before they realise that riding a motorised bicycle is not only dangerous, but you also look fucking silly doing it.

These guys are giving MC's a bad name in general , and whilst I do appreciate the fact that petrol is expensive, for the love of god catch the train or learn to ride a big boys bike.

Right, that feels better and , yes i know it probably doent make sense, but I havent had my second cup of coffee yet.

slimjim
31st October 2008, 07:26
well i suppose your ass-hole sits on a seat...and if its reg'o its got just as much right as a camper van...

mdnzz
31st October 2008, 07:30
if they pay their taxes and ride sensibly who cares, where would it stop next it'll be pushbikes and they quite often migrate in packs that can cause all type of troubles for ingrate road users who think they own it

snuffles
31st October 2008, 07:32
if they pay their taxes and ride sensibly who cares, where would it stop next it'll be pushbikes and they quite often migrate in packs that can cause all type of troubles for ingrate road users who think they own it

And whats wrong with pushbikes?, theyre the next set of arseholes who need a bullet.

ital916
31st October 2008, 07:43
legally 50cc scooters are not allowed on the motorway, as they have neither power nor ability to keep up with traffic.

"Is it a moped or a motorcycle?

There are slightly different definitions of a moped, depending on the context:

For vehicle registration and licensing: a moped has a power output of 2 KW or under and a maximum design speed of 50 km/h or under. A vehicle with a power output over 2 KW or a maximum design speed over 50 km/h is a motorcycle. It is illegal to register a motorcycle as a moped.

For vehicle importation inspections: a vehicle with an engine over 50 cc or a speed greater than 50 km/h must meet the technical requirements for a motorcycle.

For in-service inspections:a vehicle with an engine over 50 cc or a speed greater than 50 km/h or a power output greater than 2 KW needs to have a warrant of fitness and must meet the technical requirements for a motorcycle."

From the Ltnz, this makes the mped illegal to ride on the motorway.

"What rules must I follow?

* You must have a driver licence. This can be any class of New Zealand licence. If you don't hold an New Zealand licence, you may be able to use an overseas licence. Refer to Factsheet 56, New residents and visitors – driving in New Zealand for more information.
* Your moped must have the right equipment.
* You must ride on the road – you can't ride on the footpath or a cycle path. Keep as far left as you can. You may use bus lanes, as long as there isn't a sign forbidding this.
* If you're riding with other mopeds or cyclists, don't ride more than two abreast. Ride in single file when you're passing other vehicles – including parked vehicles.
* If you don't have direction indicators or stop lamps, use a clear arm signal when you intend to turn and reduce your speed or stop before making the turn.
* At intersections, you must follow the road rules for motor vehicles, or get off your moped and walk across.
* You can only carry a passenger if your moped has a pillion seat and footrests for the passenger. A container or seat for an infant must protect their legs from the wheels.
* You can tow a trailer with your moped, but you can't tow any other sort of vehicle. Your moped can't be towed by another vehicle.
* If you carry a load it must be secure and must not touch the ground. It must not extend more than one metre in front of or behind the wheels, or half a metre (50 cm) on either side (from the centre of the moped)."

I see they are teching moped riders how to die, if the moped can do 50km/h then in a city the moped rider shoould control the lane they are in, they can pull over if holding up traffic and let cars pass. If driving as far left as possible it is just inviting cars/trucks and buses to overtake as well as motorcyclists that are losing places in the morning traffic light gp.:msn-wink:

snuffles
31st October 2008, 07:50
legally 50cc scooters are not allowed on the motorway, as they have neither power nor ability to keep up with traffic.

Yep, I knew that, but what about state highways, should that not be illegal too?

enigma51
31st October 2008, 07:53
Yep, I knew that, but what about state highways, should that not be illegal too?

Unless im mistaken they arent allowed on any motorway or road that has a speed limit of 100

CookMySock
31st October 2008, 07:55
Yep, I knew that, but what about state highways, should that not be illegal too?No. Theres much more room and flexibility on the open road highways.

Bicycles and scooters are allowed on the highways, not on the motorway - its dangerous.

Er, how do touring cyclists (like visitors to NZ) get from one end of the Auckland area to the other end? Sneak through at night? :whistle:

DB

ital916
31st October 2008, 07:56
Unless im mistaken they arent allowed on any motorway or road that has a speed limit of 100

they are not allowed on motorways, and also any road that has a speed limit greater than that capable of their machine, i.e. open road*see edit*, not sure about LSZ though as you can legally say that you thought the cnditions warranted riding at 50km/h

Edit: I'm not actually too sure on open road...maybe..hmmm I'll investigate.

Oh and there is a cycle lane along the NW, that way they don't have to sneak onto the motorway when going west.

enigma51
31st October 2008, 07:58
they are not allowed on motorways, and also any road that has a speed limit greater than that capable of their machine, i.e. open road, not sure about LSZ though as you can legally say that you thought the cnditions warranted riding at 50km/h

I think if you wanna a motorized vehicle it has to be able to do 80 or something for it to be allowed on motorways.

ital916
31st October 2008, 08:02
I think if you wanna a motorized vehicle it has to be able to do 80 or something for it to be allowed on motorways.

capable of the speed limit would be logical. Anyone ever noticed the odd car on a nice free flowing motorway that travels at 60, and that car a majority of the time is an expensive european car. hehe

OutForADuck
31st October 2008, 09:14
For fuck sake!!! If they are legal they have a right to be there.

Scooters (50cc ) are not legal on the motorway, you have to be able to maintain 80Kph to travel on motorways in NZ and you must be a motorcycle by definition.

Having said that I ride a 125cc Madass and get onto the motorway from time to time. I can maintain 80Kph, but not a lot more and if you have to go around me just suck it up for God sake!!!

Oh BTW, mostly when I am on the motorway, its commuting time and the tin boxes are barely doing 50Kph!!!

I defend my right to travel in the sunshine and fresh air in half the time, using a 10th of the gas of my box and park outside the front door when I get there.... :bleh:

Robbo
31st October 2008, 09:28
It appears from the first post that to be allowed to use our public roads on two wheels you need to have 1200cc plus and a small dick.
Our roads are for all of us to use with whatever means of transport we choose provided that we do it legally and safely so get over it.

Spazm
31st October 2008, 09:29
Bugger.. Does that mean i'm not allowed to drive my 3mtr wide 27mtr long 42km/hr tractor and 2 trailers on the motorway anymore ?? ... It was fun last time i did it back in 2003, Only got stopped and released twice by the Police without any Tickets/Prosecution or even tellings off :)

Prob shaved 35mins off my trip too
Mokau to Helensville = 8hrs

Finn
31st October 2008, 09:31
When are the law makers in this country going to make a law that stops 50cc scooters fronm being owned, imported, or ridden in a 100KM zone.

That's what SUV's were invented for.

Nasty
31st October 2008, 09:31

Pushbikes are not allowed on motorways in New Zealand .. before a road changes to a motorway you will see signs direct those on pushbikes to leave.

snuffles
31st October 2008, 09:37
It appears from the first post that to be allowed to use our public roads on two wheels you need to have 1200cc plus and a small dick.
Our roads are for all of us to use with whatever means of transport we choose provided that we do it legally and safely so get over it.

I take offence to that, I do have a big dick,and only pussies ride anything smaller than 1000CC's:2thumbsup

raftn
31st October 2008, 09:39
I ride a 675 Triumph, top speed 280km does that make me a pussy?

Ixion
31st October 2008, 10:02

Source please. I know of no such law.

Many years ago , when the first motorways were built, signs at the beginning of the motorway specifically excluded mopeds. Those are long gone.

snuffles
31st October 2008, 10:09

Nope, your only a pussy if you take offence to anything I write.:mobile:

<Rhino>
31st October 2008, 11:14
If you have to maintain 80km/h on the moroway then I as a learner rider whos only aloud to go 70 shouldn't be on there either!

Don't get too concerened about the scooters and other slow moving objects on the road, just keep your own eyes open and look after yourself. Theres not enough time in the day to take on little worries like that.

Chill out enjoy the ride, have a beer, you'll live longer. :apint:

Tank
31st October 2008, 11:27
Doing some reading - it looks like the minimum speed for the motorway is 80-km.

So if the scoot cannot do that - keep off.

But - if the min is 80km and the area near the bridge is a max of 80 - doesn't leave much room for error before becoming a criminal in the eyes of Aunt Helen does it? (usless you are on the way to a All Black game)

H00dz
31st October 2008, 16:22
I don't have prob with scooters on our highways or motorways, the odd won I met along the road have been sweet as and given way, give em a wave and move on.....I seen slower cars on the motorway.......you'd have to say the got kahunas to ride open road and highway considering they dont have a power band to call on to get them out of the shit if they need it........

Anyone on two wheels are part or my fraternity....yeah I said it....

scooters, harleys, jappas bicycles I give them all a wave even if they dont wave back.....thats right I said it

Two wheels brothers 4 EVA

Norfland HARD :headbang:

pritch
31st October 2008, 16:27
How many people are going to need to be run down by trucks, or shot by angry motorcyclists, .

Better be careful with that. Some scooter riders could shoot back :whistle:

Lilly2w
31st October 2008, 18:17
I Love our little scooter friends :love: I'm pretty sure that it is illegal to go on the motorway (different rules apply for the highways) if you can not maintain 70k's (you can get a ticket for "impeding the flow of traffic" )

One girl scared the shit out of me on the highway from porirua couple of weeks ago,
sitting right in the middle of the lane doing 50, i sat behind her in my cage with the hazards on for a while untill other traffic had gone round, saw an ambulance heading up the gorge with its lights on not long after that, wish i knew weather it was for her...

Lucy
31st October 2008, 18:25
Nope, your only a pussy if you take offence to anything I write.:mobile:

Then I'm a pussy

Lucy
31st October 2008, 18:27
If you have to maintain 80km/h on the moroway then I as a learner rider whos only aloud to go 70 shouldn't be on there either!

:

You are correct - the 70k rule is there to keep learners off the motorways and highways.

Nagash
31st October 2008, 18:31

>_>

Exactly. You shouldn't.

The law's considered as a deterrant, but I don't think they'd actually pull someone over for doing 70.. hell they'd have to pull over most cagers in Auckland if that were the case.

[EDIT] What the pussy said, :2thumbsup

----

Seems everyone's fairly agreed that bitching about scooters on the motorway is stupid..

FJRider
31st October 2008, 18:45

Do you drink milk... ??? and like it...

FJRider
31st October 2008, 18:50
Better be careful with that. Some scooter riders could shoot back :whistle:

So beware of scooters with gun racks...

raftn
31st October 2008, 18:58
Do you drink milk... ??? and like it...

ummm............let me think...............umm...........i like milk shakes so ummmmmmmmm.........i suppose i am a pussy..............

mdnzz
1st November 2008, 08:29
:Oi:Well we got a 48cc chopper, it sits at 80 easily so that blows the speed rule:bleh:, but registered as a moped it not allowed on motorways, and not really meant to go 80 either:spanking:
Well there only a couple in chch so its no biggy.
But the look on the faces in cages as it sits with them in the morning traffic is classic,:chase: (Speed limit is 80k's down marshland road)and yes if they do faster then the scoot then you allow them to pass, bitta common sense really:niceone:

saxet
1st November 2008, 08:44
And whats wrong with pushbikes?, theyre the next set of arseholes who need a bullet.

I don't know abput pushbikes and scooter riders all being aholes-like mbike riders'some are some ain't. I do wonder how they're allowed on the open road as they cannot maintain a safe speed as per the road codeE.g. not holing up traffic.Personally Iwon't ride either on the road as I'm just sooo vunerable and it's only time before I get hurt. Dont know why this is legal but because it is people think everyone has to put up with them doin it-like smokin. For me pushbikes or small scooters on the road equals death wish:2guns:

<Rhino>
1st November 2008, 09:07
You are correct - the 70k rule is there to keep learners off the motorways and highways.

>_>

Exactly. You shouldn't.

The law's considered as a deterrant, but I don't think they'd actually pull someone over for doing 70.. hell they'd have to pull over most cagers in Auckland if that were the case.

[EDIT] What the pussy said, :2thumbsup

----

Seems everyone's fairly agreed that bitching about scooters on the motorway is stupid..

To bad then. I can only ride on the highway to work, its the only road between the Hutt and Porirua, we've been over this before. The law is stupid blah blah blah....:whocares:

Lucy
1st November 2008, 13:10
To bad then. I can only ride on the highway to work, its the only road between the Hutt and Porirua, we've been over this before. The law is stupid blah blah blah....:whocares:

It's possible to go 70kph on a highway, I did it whilst running in my bike. Cyclists do it. Old people in white hats do it. The law may be stupid in your opinion, you are entitled to your opinion.

Some people think the drug laws are stupid, some the laws about marrying close relatives, most think the speeding laws are stupid.

There is a lot of hate on KB lately, or am I just beginning to notice it? I wonder why that is. I thought bikers were happy because they are on bikes. The ones I meet are. Maybe it's the bikers who are on computers not bikes who are the hateful ones.

Better go for a ride!

:chase:

davereid
1st November 2008, 15:17
Source please. I know of no such law.

Many years ago , when the first motorways were built, signs at the beginning of the motorway specifically excluded mopeds. Those are long gone.

Its true Ixion... mopeds are not allowed on motorways.

That does not mean that Snuffles is not a plonker...

It just means that mopeds and cycles have to stick with the state highways and lesser roads.

Insanity_rules
1st November 2008, 20:24
I don't mind scroters on the motorway as long as they stay on the far left or shoulder. On the way to work on friday I was splitting through traffic just passed Petone and a scooter was in the traffic in the left lane. Low and behold the rider didn't check his/her mirror, didnt indicate and pulled into the middle to start lane splitting right in front of me (litterally). I was on the brakes harder than Ron Jeremy on a work day. Talk about swearing and I'm pretty sure they heard me as the rider did a surprised jump and wobble. Then they proceeded to lane split in front of me doing 50 K's!

AAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Wanted to run the thing over!

MarkH
2nd November 2008, 09:19
So beware of scooters with gun racks...

Pfft, gun racks? I could fit a decent sized pistol in one of my front compartments on my scooter. Not that I hold up anyone on the motorway, I do close to 110kph because I don't wanna ticket.

PrincessBandit
2nd November 2008, 12:18
I take offence to that, I do have a big dick,and only pussies ride anything smaller than 1000CC's:2thumbsup

Cool. I don't have a dick, only ride a 650, and am quite happy to be a pussy :msn-wink:

Taz
2nd November 2008, 13:01
1 - I ride my scooter on the motorway on purpose
2 - I don't give a shit!
3 - Tell someone who cares!

Selfish attitude you think?

Ixion
2nd November 2008, 13:04
2 - I don't give a shit!

Sure is. Rock on, bruvver :niceone:. Since when did being a biker mean having to give a shit about what people think.

snuffles
3rd November 2008, 08:40
2 - I don't give a shit!

Not at all:eek: