PDA

View Full Version : What new bike for Bob?

Bob
2nd November 2008, 01:11
Hmmm. Basically, I've reached the stage with the ER6f that I want to move on to something else. Think it is a combination of having done what I can do with it - and also my back isn't getting any more flexible as I get older (damned age and spinal injury).

So thoughts have gone along the lines of something that allows me to sit more upright. Given my lack of leg length (duck's disease. I'm 5'10" with 29" inside leg!) I don't think some kind of trail bike will work (I know when I sat on an XT660 years back, my legs were dangling helplessly in the air!) Street Triple keeps popping into mind - but a lot of money for what it is, plus I'm not sure if it is upright enough (one of these days, I'll have to find out who owns the one that parks up out back of work and see if I can have a sit on it).

GSX650F? A maybe - when I sat on one at Excel, it felt neutral and confortable - and the flattish bars felt more comfortable that the oddly tapering upwards ones on the ER (I sat on a Versys which uses very flat bars... and that felt 'right' - another maybe?)

But I've just come back from a 20 mile ride on the XV535... and it really does get me thinking. I feel very comfortable on it, I can corner on it at the same speed that I do the ER. And I do like the way it feels planted and stable. OK, one disc up front really isn't good enough (I want stopping power for the commute).

So... starting to wonder if the cruiser route is the way forward (albeit relatively slowly) for me. Max speed I realistically ever need is 80mph (about 130kph?) - and the Virago does that (though it builds rather than blasts there and you really don't want to do more than 85 as your feet start vibrating off the pegs) and seriously the handling is enough to handle what I need it for (I was able to manouvre it very tidily round a car that was trying to get round a broken down vehicle and accellerate away with little effort and it'll corner well, once you re-dial your brain into how to drop it in there).

Question is; what one? I don't want a giant tank that splays my legs a mile wide (doesn't help when you need to paddle it about) and I like the way the Virago bars are relatively narrow, but comfortable - the way they go sort of up and back, rather than splayed out works for me. As I said, I want twin discs up front to give me extra stopping power - the XV really needs the rear drum on to add force at times. And feet a bit forwards is OK - don't want them out by the front disc though. Oh and shaft drive would be nice (I don't find there is a any problem with shaft drive and the additiona weight really isn't a problem on a cruiser). But I'll take a chain or belt if needs be.

Obviously, can't get another XV535 (what is the point of having two in the garage and they don't make them any more). So have to think something else that is current and fits the above criteria.

And I think that rules out Yamaha's Dragstar range. I rode one, I enjoyed it, but it is splayed out and floaty. I'd happily sit on one and take it for a long ride, but not a commuter bike. The 950 Midnight Star looks like it will be built along similar dimensions to the Dragstar range, so that probably gets ruled out. Kawasaki's VN range look like they might fit the bill. And Honda's 750 Shadow might well work (and with the incredibly low seat height, Laura might even be able to ride it!)

But then, there is the wildcard - Hyosung GV650 Aquila. It has the looks, it certainly has performance (in cruiser terms). I like the look. And twin discs, USD forks... could well work for me - seems like a transition from where I have been into cruiserdom. Concern is, how will it hold up and will it survive being used as a commuter machine (you hear tell tales bout finish, but then you get them about Yamaha and my Fazer got praised by the dealer (and man looking to do a deal) for it's condition when I sold it).

I think I may have to try to line up a lot of test rides and possibly hang on until the London bike show so I can do bum on seat and see how they all feel.

So... just wondering if any of you guys ride/own/have ridden any of the above and if so, how do you think they would fit in with my criteria (remember, this bike will get used to ride in one of the busiest commuter runs in the world, so can't be really wide, needs enough performance to get me out of trouble without being sportsbike powerful, must be comfortable and will get used to do some longer runs).

All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Boob Johnson
2nd November 2008, 01:15
WOT!!! :blink:

Trudes
2nd November 2008, 06:04
How about the new CB1000 (Hornet replacement thing), looks pretty good (can't wait to try one myself) worth a look?

Pedrostt500
2nd November 2008, 06:55
I was in Wellington Motor cycles yesterday, the GSX1400Z looks a good comfortable ride, and a reasonable price for a new 1400.

tri boy
2nd November 2008, 07:01
Look at the Triumph cruiser/retro range also.

pritch
2nd November 2008, 08:11

Yeah. The new 17"wheel Bonnie would be worth a look. If you like 600s the Hornet is still a brilliant bike and would seem to fit your criteria.

Ride them all and have fun making the big decision.

TOTO
2nd November 2008, 17:38
get the Street triple and go home in style :niceone:

martybabe
2nd November 2008, 18:12
A narrow cruiser, good build quality, similar to but better than an xv535, able to do longer trips, suitable for the shorter of leg.

I put all the above info into my (what bike next computer) and it came up with this, seems to tick all the boxes.

Never seen one but it would seem to suit more than the normal Shadow.

The second piccy has nothing to do with the thread, I just like it. :rolleyes:

Edit: just noticed, only one disc up front. still gotta be worth a test ride.

Bob
2nd November 2008, 20:29
Must confess Shadow Spirit did spring to mind.

http://ww1.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/DispatcherServlet?hidActionDetail=viewproductdetai l&hidAction=Lookup&hidProductID=97&hidSelectedProductCode=VT750DC+Shadow+Spirit&hidProductName=VT750DC+Shadow+Spirit&hidMSGID=2&hidMSGCode=CRUISERS&hidMSGName=Cruisers&hidBannerPath=%2FmcStatic%2Fen%2Fpicture%2Fproduct %2FVT750DC+Shadow+Spirit%2Fprd_main_Banner.jpg&hidHomePath=%2Fjsp%2FmsgCRUISERSHome.jsp#focusHere

I like the more pared down look than the standard Shadow (which is odd, as the standard Shadow these days has an almost Indian look about it - and I love Indians)

I wish they would do it in the two-colour option that the standard Shadow comes in:

http://ww1.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/DispatcherServlet?hidActionDetail=viewproductdetai l&hidAction=Lookup&hidProductID=9&hidSelectedProductCode=VT750C+Shadow&hidProductName=VT750C+Shadow&hidMSGID=2&hidMSGCode=CRUISERS&hidMSGName=Cruisers&hidBannerPath=%2FmcStatic%2Fen%2Fpicture%2Fproduct %2FVT750C+Shadow%2Fprd_main_Banner.jpg&hidHomePath=%2Fjsp%2FmsgCRUISERSHome.jsp#focusHere

As you say, just the one disc up front, but unless I do go the Hyosung route, think I'll have to live with that. Just have to get used to applying the rear in tandem.

martybabe
2nd November 2008, 21:13
Must confess Shadow Spirit did spring to mind.

I like the more pared down look than the standard Shadow (which is odd, as the standard Shadow these days has an almost Indian look about it - and I love Indians)

I wish they would do it in the two-colour option that the standard Shadow comes in:

As you say, just the one disc up front, but unless I do go the Hyosung route, think I'll have to live with that. Just have to get used to applying the rear in tandem.

Most cruisers rely on the back brake a lot more than other types of bike and not all single disc brakes are the same, some provide bugger all braking and some are quite decent, only a ride will tell.

It's a nice looker too, let us know how it goes, if you test one. :niceone:

sels1
2nd November 2008, 21:31

And then test ride them!

McJim
2nd November 2008, 21:42
Wow - I can't imagine ever getting so old that I would describe the happy shopper upright position offered by an ER6 as too low or racey.

Best of luck with test rides!

Bob
3rd November 2008, 03:17
Wow - I can't imagine ever getting so old that I would describe the happy shopper upright position offered by an ER6 as too low or racey.

We all get older! In my case, combination of back stiffening up (happens to us all naturally), plus a 12-year-old spinal injury (I have two of my lower vertebrae fused together, which puts stress on the other vertebrae and discs in the lumbar region).

I think I need to try out some longer rides (always a good test of comfort), but I've found taking the Virago out for a ride, I seem to be feeling better than on the ER of late. Of course, there is an element of having a spot of fun on the Virago rather than the stress of commuting into London on the ER (unless you've seen it, really hard to explain what Rush Hour into London is like).

Defnitely need to arrange some test rides before making a final decision... and hopefully get the chance to take some pix and do some write-ups!

Edbear
3rd November 2008, 06:04
Ahem! If I could make a suggestion from a 50 year-old with a bad lower back... :niceone:

I ride the C50T to work every day, a round trip of about 35miles, and on longer rides, I could ride it all day! A great bike and the ride position reminds me of the old BSA B31 I had way back when...

zeocen
3rd November 2008, 11:44

I can definitely understand his problem with it, the stock bars leave a lot to be desired, I love the bike to death and can't think of anything better for me, but those handlebars are rubbish. They are in no-mans-land and can really eat on your lower back. I have faux clipons now and I have less pain and stress on my body as a whole. Comparing it to say a Hornet which also has an upright but still midly forward, you can see the vast difference, the Hornet bars are spectacular, the ER6F's are just horrid.

Bob: I too sat on a Versys and gelled with it straight away, that is one comfortable bike! The looks are something only a mother could love but even considering that I have it in mind for when I decide to hang up the ER6F.. it really was something else hopping on it.

Failing that, VN900 Custom! :D I loved riding that bike !

Bob
23rd November 2008, 09:52
Thanks all, for all the feedback.

After all that, went for the GSX650F. Definitely worth getting a test ride though, that was the final factor in making up my mind (and really showed how different it is getting a ride, rather than just sitting on a bike at a show).

Again, thanks for the feedback, really appreciated.

ynot slow
24th November 2008, 08:33
Nice bike for the $$,was going to say also the GSX750 Katana for better value,but saw the new bike is here.I was in same situation re the 650,I liked it's ride height,the way it sat etc on the road and the price,only thing putting me off was the idea of 2 up and power associated with that,i.e using gearbox a bit more.Then rode the big brother bandit lol,decision made up for me,oodles of low down power and touring ability slightly better 2 up.Enjoy the bike,I would've probably grabbed one if predominantly doing no pillioning.

Hopster
24th November 2008, 21:05
Try a VFR800

They handle well and very very reliable.

110 hp and comfortable for up to 3 hrs per stint.

Sporty enough for the twisties

I love mine, its my fit.