PDA

View Full Version : Xt 600

buggsubique
3rd November 2008, 14:30
Anyone ridden / owned one and got advice on it? Heard they're a bit underpowered - so how does it compare against say the DR 650? My understanding is slighty less offrd capable, perhaps more tourable, 2up a possibility? Not wanting to go so far as a tenere, just considering something less "dirty" than the Doctor Z.

$ are a factor, so looking for bang for buck (well not literally - I want a bazillionty :scooter: road miles out of it with the ability to carry me lunch and a can of beer).

wysper
3rd November 2008, 15:02
I looked in to one of these a while ago.
Use the forum search and you will turn up heaps of threads and info on the bikes you are looking at.

:niceone:

CrazyFrog
3rd November 2008, 17:39
Hey Buggsy, I owned one for about 6 months before I got my KTM640.
It was essentially a good do-it-all bike, but didn't excel in any particular area. Yes, they are offroad capable, yes, you can tour on them, but they badly need a suspension upgrade for any serious adventuring, and a bit more grunt. They are a bit underpowered on the highway, especially trying to overtake, over 120kmph, they just seem to run out of legs, you've really got to wind them up. Top speed around 150kmph. Power output 44hp, Weight around 170kg fuelled up, Fuel capacity 15 Litres.
In saying all that, a lot of rental companies used them for years because of their reliability and ease of maintenance.
Be aware of higher km's bikes, like over 50,000km, if they've done a lot of touring, 5th gear can be prone to being flogged out, requiring a gearbox overhaul.
Shop around for a lower km's model, personally, I wouldn't spend more than $5500 on one, because for anything more than that price you can start looking at DR650's. I paid $4700 for mine (in the middle of winter) with 20,000km, most others similar seem to sell around $5500. There's still some in dealers for around $7000 but I think they're dreaming when you consider the competition in the market.

PM me if you want any more info.
It will be more comfy than the DRZ but you'll prob be a bit disappointed and will end up lusting after more power. The later XT660R models are better, but also more $$. Which takes us back to the DR650 debate......
There's a nice DR650 on TardMe now for $5500, 33,000km but looks pretty tidy. Also another for even less but it doesn't appear to be rego'd, maybe just a dirt model.

buggsubique
3rd November 2008, 18:49
wicked reply bro! The susp issue and weight was what turned me off the DR650, but I have geared up the 400 now and went for a leisurely adv ride yesterday up past Lake Argyle on SH63. Deliberately toned it all down and had a ball. Just lacked a bit in the torque and lacked hellishly in fuel range and economy the way its set up. I now know where reserve kicks in and where there aren't any gas stations...

So yeah, $ are a driving factor, so is reliability. Price of them seems attractive too. Seen both them DR's you mentioned. Zerax is in that market at the mo I think. Might keep window shoppin for now while I decide how much I can afford to divert from the mortgage to fund a new machine, but likely an XT or DR I'm thinking.:niceone:

bvaut
3rd November 2008, 20:57
As Crazy frog says i think they are a good do-it-all bike, but didn't excel in any particular area. My had done nearly 70k and still going well apart from some clutch wear and yes the cam does sound a bit noisey now but i don't think it is in need of replacement yet. The only mod i have made was to recently put on a WR exhaust which seems to have improved the performance somewhat. They are not made for speed but rather a good work horse and easy and comfortable ride. But my idea of adventure riding is not to get to go from A to B flat out but enjoy the trip on the way, so that might not suit your style, in which case then a faster stead like the KTM would be in order.

CRM
4th November 2008, 15:24
Check out an XR600 - there are a couple of good deals on TM at the moment. They've got the grunt and the suspension even though they are quite old now (stopped making them in 2000 I think).
I had a DRZ400 and in my opinion the XR is worlds better for adventure riding with the odd trail ride thrown in and general fun hooning - even though my XR is 9 years older than my DRZ was. I was totally blown away by how much fun they are. I'm putting a big tank on mine, done the carb mod (which is the only reliability issue they have) and getting a rack then I'll be off...:wari:

buggsubique
4th November 2008, 18:26
Yeah, there are a couple there for pretty modest coin. I know people rave about the XR 600, but I reckon they look kinda cheap and tacky (no offense!), but then again for a good strong bike, a lot of that can probably be overcome anyway (ie cheap feeling levers, painted plastics, flimsy lights etc). How many K's you got on yours? I'll certainly go for performance over looks.

CRM
5th November 2008, 08:21
Yeah, there are a couple there for pretty modest coin. I know people rave about the XR 600, but I reckon they look kinda cheap and tacky (no offense!), but then again for a good strong bike, a lot of that can probably be overcome anyway (ie cheap feeling levers, painted plastics, flimsy lights etc). How many K's you got on yours? I'll certainly go for performance over looks.

Mines just turned 28k. Looks like most of it's been on the road. It's been well maintained and runs like new. I'm really impressed with the design and quality. Cheap and tacky they ain't :girlfight: They can be blinged up to look really unique too for example the black one below.

Mines not that pretty yet. :lol:

Go for performance and looks :woohoo:

buggsubique
5th November 2008, 17:41
Fair call, that black one is tidy...I'm all for the Mad Max look. They are pretty cheap on TM...a couple look to have had a fair thrashing though. Still, 20 odd k for $3-4 grand seems ok.

Motu
5th November 2008, 19:12
My XT600 is not a bike that I love - but it is a bike I enjoy.It's not really a good off road bike,and it isn't really made to do much serious off road use.I use it for back roads and gravel,and can't really fault it's handling in that department,it's never done anything stupid that I can blame on the bike rather than the rider.

They were in production for 20 years....and there is some parts interchangeability between models.Mine is now a hybrid,with bits from this and bits from that - to me that's good,I like to personalise my bike,make it mine.I don't think there is too much between the big old school air cooled singles - but I do like Yamaha because so much interchanges not only through a single model,but between other bikes in the range.

warewolf
6th November 2008, 08:01
but I do like Yamaha because so much interchanges not only through a single model,but between other bikes in the range.That appeals to me, also. In contrast, which brand do you think would be the worst at that - Honda? It always disappoints when the advertising literature for an essentially unchanged model boasts, "437 new parts".

Woodman
6th November 2008, 08:20
Why not a klr?? They have similar horsepower and are way heavier, which means more metal and that adds up to value for money.

NordieBoy
6th November 2008, 16:03
Why not a klr?? They have similar horsepower and are way heavier, which means more metal and that adds up to value for money.

If you're a scrap dealer...

MXNUT
6th November 2008, 16:14
:argue: :Pokey:

Woodman
6th November 2008, 16:47

yeah, but the price of scrap has gone down the tubes, mind you I don't mind the weight (most of the time) and except for the front being too soft it handles off road pretty well, and no I haven't ridden a DR or XT so I may eat my words yet.

NordieBoy
6th November 2008, 18:43
So the '05 KLR is gaining in value on the '08 then.

The soft front seems to be a bit of a recurring theme across all the models/brands.

Maybe we're not ment to go off-road on them?

Woodman
6th November 2008, 19:05
There must be better springs around if they are all crap up front, mind you it is cheaper and a whole lotta fun just learning to ride with your bikes character traits. I am glad i did not have the internet prior to purchasing the klr because my mind would never have got made up, and would still be trying to weigh up pros and cons etc. Hopefully this laptop will crap out before the klr needs replacing.

JATZ
6th November 2008, 20:41
Here ya go Buggs

in your neighborhood too

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/photos/a-186312937/p-79937841.htm

Not the XT but I reakon it may do what you want

NordieBoy
6th November 2008, 20:57
Here ya go Buggs

in your neighborhood too

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/photos/a-186312937/p-79937841.htm

Oh wow...

:yes:

cooneyr
6th November 2008, 21:09
Here ya go Buggs

in your neighborhood too

Bugger the XT600 I'd have that any day:niceone: In fact if I didn't already have a XTZ750, I'd be on my way north this weekend. Dont be put off by the 80k kms either anybody. There is a fella in Ausi (on Adv rider - ATGreg) with 275k kms on an earlier model (this is a RD07a he has and RD04). They will give a BMW R series a run for their money when it comes to reliability. I've read many reports about how the suspension is way better than a R GS or a Tranny but the power is not as good as a R GS. Of road compared to a Tranny or a R GS they are suppose to be the bees knees.

Cheers R

JATZ
6th November 2008, 21:12
Bugger the XT600 I'd have that any day:niceone: In fact if I didn't already have a XTZ750, I'd be on my way north this weekend. Dont be put off by the 80k kms either anybody. There is a fella in Ausi (on Adv rider - ATGreg) with 275k kms on an earlier model (this is a RD07a he has and RD04). They will give a BMW R series a run for their money when it comes to reliability. I've read many reports about how the suspension is way better than a R GS or a Tranny but the power is not as good as a R GS. Of road compared to a Tranny or a R GS they are suppose to be the bees knees.

Cheers R

If I had a spare 5k sitting around and a bigger garage I'd be puttin a bid or 2 on it:woohoo:

NordieBoy
6th November 2008, 21:17
I would happily swap my precious DR for one of them.

Ally67
6th November 2008, 21:38
I would happily swap my precious DR for one of them.

Or.........

Your van ?

warewolf
6th November 2008, 22:26
Bugger the XT600 I'd have that any day:niceone: In fact if I didn't already have a XTZ750, I'd be on my way north this weekend. Dont be put off by the 80k kms either anybody. There is a fella in Ausi (on Adv rider - ATGreg) with 275k kms onLooks like sweet example, too. I think ATGreg has updated his sig to 320K km now. :niceone:

buggsubique
7th November 2008, 05:59
Holy smokes, batman. Problem is I have to be sellin the yellow machine first...had this discussion with wife lastnight (or rather the discussion was had with me...:argue:). $5k seems pretty good!

NordieBoy
7th November 2008, 06:59
Or.........

Your van ?

Jenni's van...

Padmei
7th November 2008, 07:09
Oh yeah excellent bike - but pink? I think I'd have to get the rattlecan out. I think it will go for a pretty high price.

Does the van have to be able to be driven? Or have doors? hmmm

warewolf
7th November 2008, 07:19
had this discussion with wife lastnight (or rather the discussion was had with me...:argue:)So you gave her a right good listening-to, did you? :msn-wink:

Underground
7th November 2008, 08:38
Im out looking for a van right now ! Imagine having to trade that fine machine for a bloody van :( poor bastard

Woodman
7th November 2008, 08:45
yes very flash.... Wondering how much it weighs??

NordieBoy
7th November 2008, 09:07

There you go again! Always looking for the scrap value.

:eek5:

buggsubique
7th November 2008, 17:13
So you gave her a right good listening-to, did you? :msn-wink:

Its hard to argue with a wife who gives _____ _____ and _________ just coz. I figue for that sort of thing I'm pretty happy to toe the line on the odd occasion. Hell, she doesn't want to see me NOT ride a bike! She doesn't want me to sell it. Go figure.

cooneyr
7th November 2008, 20:34

In the area of 220kgs.

Cheers R

Shadowjack
11th November 2008, 12:30
I owned an '02 XT600 for a year/11,000kms. Most of the distance was commuting, etc, but I also used it to travel the backroad by-ways of South/Mid/North Canterbury. The bike was reliable (never broke down). Before I bought the XT, I trialled a mates '04 DR650, and what tipped me in favour of the XT (apart from a very sharp price) was the wider, more comfortable seat for my SFA. The DR was better on the highway (easier cruising and more in reserve for passing), but the DR also had about 75k less kms on the clock. I could count on fuel economy of around 19-20 kms/l all day long (that said, I tended not to thrash the thing). For longer trips, I carried a safety margin 5l container of gas on the back. The DR is significantly lighter than the XT. The DR would get about better economy, in the region 22 kms/l. I would guess that servicing costs on both are about equal, and they are about as complex as a rock in design, construction, etc. When I sold the XT, it still sounded good and went like a train. All told, it was a cheap re-introduction to motorcycling. So why, you ask, did I sell it? I wanted something a little easier to cruise the sealed roads to get to the gravelly bits, so acquired a Yamaha (of course) TDM850. Hope this helps - it's a hard road to find the perfect bike...

buggsubique
11th November 2008, 13:33
Cheers for the heads up Leadon - good info. Points me back towards a DR...

talbertnz
13th November 2008, 14:18
...the DR in the region 22 kms/l....
I wish.... i get 18-20 km/l

buggsubique
13th November 2008, 17:02
my 400 with pipe, box and FCR is gets an alcoholic 17-18km/l:pinch:

bishxt
13th November 2008, 21:16
I've had an XT600 for 6 years, in fact the 2002 model is designated a 600E, and it's such a good workhorse and trailbike that I shipped it over here when I emigrated from the UK. It's pretty minimalist bodywork wise and with the lack of radiator or oil coolers is very resistant to binning off road! Mine has had numerous drops as it's been trialled and enduro'd as well as lots of trailriding - the only susceptible part is the gear lever which I've welded up numerous times and it's on its 3rd one (the parts are cheap though :2thumbsup)... I've had a couple of Honda NRX650 trailbikes and ridden KLR650's plenty of times, and off road the XT is much better than either - yes it's heavy (154kg) but as long as you don't try MX style jumps the suspension's fine. Mine has a 23ltr Acerbis tank that gives it serious range and an 18" wheel for enduro type stuff (I munted the original 17" rim and had an 18" rim laced onto it). It's done about 45k's, a large percentage of that on trails, and with 3k oil changes still runs nicely with no signs of impending doom... yet... The 5th gear issue was sorted on the later XT's and is avoidable anyway as long as you hook into 5th at about 4k revs. On the road it's quite happy to 120k, even with my lowered off road gearing, and coped fine in the company of BMW 650 Dakars to and from the Brass Monkey. I haven't ridden the DR650 and it looks a nice bike, but you can't fault XT if you're looking for a bulletproof allrounder with good off road potential.
Cheers Bish