PDA

View Full Version : Track-day/racing boots

dpex
3rd November 2008, 17:37
Frosty has been going on again about boots....He's yet to state I need a bloody seatbelt, but I'm sure that's next....Jesus but my ex-wife used to bitch at me less than he does.

Anyway. Boots. What's the go? Like what's the diff between MX boots and track boots. What do I need to look for? Not interested in brand. Far prefer cheap and useful.

As usual, all 'useful' suggestions welcomed.

blossomsowner
3rd November 2008, 17:44
good question..........i have been considering trying a track day and have a similar question.......can i just wear my logging boots.........very sturdy, steel toe, mid calf height?

piston broke
3rd November 2008, 17:59
i hope to see the replies here,
i'm gonna need some for bucket racing soon

lostinflyz
3rd November 2008, 18:05
dunno about mx boots but if your gonna be racing make sure you got a reasonable set of boots

ive rooted my boots from peg scrapping and they have cheap plastic sliders that get messed up fast. 250 bucks down the drain.

dpex
3rd November 2008, 18:20
dunno about mx boots but if your gonna be racing make sure you got a reasonable set of boots

ive rooted my boots from peg scrapping and they have cheap plastic sliders that get messed up fast. 250 bucks down the drain.

That's interesting. I've rooted my 'very basic' boots ($39-95) for the same reason.

I guess the question I'm asking is, 'Why are MX boots so flash in comparison to what are advertised as track boots'.?

piston broke
3rd November 2008, 18:28
my current boots,i think maybe horse ridin boots.leather to near knee
they haven't been a prob as i do my best to stop them meeting the road other than rubber side down

jrandom
3rd November 2008, 18:28
'Sidi Vertigos' is all you need to know.

Should be about NZ$450 a pair, if I recall correctly.

They have replaceable sliders for the bits that touch down.

piston broke
3rd November 2008, 18:38
fark thats 4x what my bucket bike is costing me ax 100.(mates rates tho)
same price as my 1 piece leathers(2nd hand)
will my cow boots be allowed on the bucket track?

dhunt
3rd November 2008, 18:39
good question..........i have been considering trying a track day and have a similar question.......can i just wear my logging boots.........very sturdy, steel toe, mid calf height?
Personally I would say no. Steel toes from what I understand can be worse off in crash.

Also work boots don't offer any armour around the ankles. I had a head on with a car a few years back and ended up chipping my ankle. If I had been wearing any half decent bike boots they would have had armour in the right places I may have not broken anything.

The more expensive boots tend to be much stiffer/more ankle support so less likely for your feet to end up at funny angles etc when you crash. The disadvantage is they aren't so fun to walk round in. I have 2 pairs one for the track - very stiff etc and one for commuting/round town in.

enigma51
3rd November 2008, 18:42
The main difference between a mx boot and road boot is the support of the foot and leg. I would suggest going to motomail which stock a wide range of both type and put them next to each other and you will see big differences.

Sidi has a nice range of boots for both tourers and racing the vertigo is a very nive boot but dont realy fit wide feet. I cant comment on others as i have a pair of sidi's and they fit me fine and I have "long" feet.

Boomer has a pair of alpine stars or oxfards i think. They also seem to be a very nice boot with a wider foot print.

The best option i have for you is to fit every type and see which one fits the best it should not be loose but also not presure the foot or ankles.

enigma51
3rd November 2008, 18:43
fark thats 4x what my bucket bike is costing me ax 100.(mates rates tho)
same price as my 1 piece leathers(2nd hand)
will my cow boots be allowed on the bucket track?

How much is your feet worth in money?

YOu should see how my boots look after falling off a sidecar..... Im glad theres plastic bit around the ankles and shins

jrandom
3rd November 2008, 18:45
Fuck walking in bike boots, they're there to protect your feet in crashes and/or keep them warm and dry during long rides in foul weather.

It's pretty easy to stick a pair of sneakers in the tankbag if you need to do some walking around when you get where you're going.

That said, Sidi make the most comfy boots to walk in, IMHO. And that also flows on to giving good toe-feel for operating the gearshift and rear brake.

raftn
3rd November 2008, 18:47
You will get what you pay for, they are your feet, and ankles so do not be afraid to spend decent money, they are well worth it in the long run.

Pussy
3rd November 2008, 18:51
Agree with enigma51 and jrandom... get a decent pair of boots. I've had a pair of Sidi Vertebras for years, they offer great ankle/heal protection, and have replacable toe sliders etc. If you have the balls of your feet on the pegs while riding, you shouldn't do to much damage to your boots while leaning

beyond
3rd November 2008, 18:54
Yep, broke my ankle when I last came off and if I had been wearing the boots I have now I would have been ok.
I ended up getting the top of the range Sidi Vertigo with the top of the foot strap to stop your foot sliding forwards and breaking your toes in a sudden stop.

Awesome boots, ok for walking in, have vents for summer and are reasonably waterproof unless it's belting down. All parts can be changed and ankle support is one of the best.

Usarka
3rd November 2008, 19:18
Talk to dmntd, he's got a patent on sock sliders.....

discotex
3rd November 2008, 20:42
Sidi Vertigo for me. Farkin awesome boots. The vents really work too.

So what if they're pricey. You plan to do plenty of trackdays so you should be be wearing decent gear.

As JR says - fuck how good they are for walking in (actually they're ok if you undo the back thingy). What you want is top protection for your feet. They'll be the first thing the bike lands on when you lowside.

Get a back protector too.

lostinflyz
3rd November 2008, 21:20
FYI the oxtar importer (im assuming its the importer) is near incompetent so replacement sliders are almost impossible to get. so go sidi. i wish i had

sAsLEX
3rd November 2008, 21:25
'Sidi Vertigos' is all you need to know.

Should be about NZ$450 a pair, if I recall correctly.

They have replaceable sliders for the bits that touch down.

But the zips are not very well protected so if your a racer/crasher that part can wear/become fucked much quicker than you would hope from an expensive pair of boots.

madbikeboy
4th November 2008, 11:44
I have a pair of Forma's - I couldn't get comfortable with the Sidi's (although I think they're probably a better boot). Mine have replaceable sliders, which have lasted really well, and they have excellent ankle support. They're also dryish, and I don't get pins and needles (which I get with some boots).

Mine cost about $400 ish. I also like the Alpinestars race boots (forget the name), and once these wear out, I'll buy the AStars.

As for being Frosty being like your evil ex - you're saying that he tells you what to do all the time, nags you, and I'm assuming you're not having sex - the answer: YOU'RE MARRIED TO HIM (the no sex bit was the giveaway).

vifferman
4th November 2008, 12:45
If you want some boots with good protection that are also comfy to walk in, and/or you have wide or flat feet, try some StylMartins. I'm on my second pair (first ones are still OK apart from one missing tooth on a zip, and are about 5 years old).

boomer
4th November 2008, 12:57
Try these on for size.. Perfect ! (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=85490)

FROSTY
4th November 2008, 13:07
Im a bit of a toedragger so I have sidi verts with ceramic scrapers.
The ceramic lasts bloody yonks -like 10x longer than plastic
Thgeyre $45 a set instead of $20 but well worth it.

Now BOOTS-- The MX type boots offer a HUGE amount of ankle support in multiple directions. Theyre there to protect you from hitin trees and protect your foot/ankle from being broken in a crash.
The down side is that theres NO feel through the controls and you have to move virtually ya whole lower leg to change gear.
Totally not the go for you.
GOOD race boots follow on where MX boots leave off. They protect the ankle from impact they support the foot in a crash and protect the lower leg from impact.--The negative in my experience is that new race boots take a bit of getting used to -they feel stiff and cumbersome and it seems theres no feel for the back brake and gearshift. --You do get used to it and having personally crashed in a set of sidi race verts I'd never go back to boots with no support.
Road boots-They have reduced armour content but nowadays still have protection for shins and ankle. The advantage is feel wise theyre just like normal shoes. the down side is reduced protection

GIXser
4th November 2008, 13:29
bikestore have awesome boots real cheap too
www.bikestore.co.nz

imdying
4th November 2008, 13:38
Set of Alpinestar SMX-4s here. Would probably go for the SMX-R if I exclusively did track riding, but the 4 is quite comfy. They're a more enjoyable ownership experience over my basic boots... better zips, replacable draggy bits, more meat where you like it, better soft stuff where they rub the bike etc. Best $280 I ever spent on bike boots... was worth paying the extra over another set of touring type boots (although if I'm going somewhere that requires legging it at all, I still wear those... these are bike boots first, comfy fashion accessories second).

OutForADuck
4th November 2008, 13:52
GOOD race boots follow on where MX boots leave off. They protect the ankle from impact they support the foot in a crash and protect the lower leg from impact.--The negative in my experience is that new race boots take a bit of getting used to -they feel stiff and cumbersome and it seems theres no feel for the back brake and gearshift. --You do get used to it and having personally crashed in a set of sidi race verts I'd never go back to boots with no support.

I'm with Frosty here. I find the newer style of boots restrictive and yet at the same time very comforting in the support and protection they provide. I own and use two pairs of race boots and would always choose my Alpinestar Super R Tech for a track session!! but often go for more feel/comfort for a road ride.