PDA

View Full Version : KK's Weekend/Tracktime.

Kwaka-Kid
14th September 2003, 23:13
hey guys just to give you the run down.. and first up id like to say i met BabyB and say good on her for getting out and having fun!! (despite missing that pitlane)

it all started on friday mornin after sharpes phone call that theyy wouldnt pass my front bald right hand edge tyre... so i rang cycletreads and asked if they had a "Set of BT090's, 120/60/17, and 150/60/17" they reckond it shudnt b a problem and could be done saturday morning... i then rang back a few hours later to confirm and find that they only had a 70 profile for the front end... bugger, but oh well, i needed tyres and the 090's are what i wanted/were recommended.  they then told me the tyre was being "brought in" tonite so it would be ready by morning... i come in @ 8:20am to find out the rear tyre is still sitting in sean walsh's boot (of his *killer* 4x4 hehe) but that he said he would be there early... well blah blah did alot of talking/drinking coffe and FINALLY after many times ringing his cellfone he arrives @ 11am with my bloody rear tyre... next thing i read the sticker that says BT9R or somthing to be told that they often get mis-labelled... i rear the sidewall that said BT-90 and when i asked about that i was told they were a 090... knowing FUCKING NOTHING ABOUT TYRES/NEW ONES ESP! i was like, sweet, fair enuf... they knocked the price from $400 flat cash to $380 for the long wait... semi-fair enuf but to be honest the day before a track day my time is worth double that per hour! i would have happily paid more...

anyways i get out there to be told/embarrased by Sharpe/(whoever his mate is? cant member) that the back tyre is infact NOT an 090 and is a BT90 which is OLD stock from like 1997... next thing a different guy (dez i think?) did the front tyre to the back (by mike i think) and so when i checked @ track time they had put 34 in front and 32 in back..erm, saftey? communication breakdown? well... one thing to say...

FUCK CYCLETREADS. and i dont care who knows it :angry2: the workers dont seem bad, i like mark, and mike seemed alright... but fucked if im gunna ever be the idiot standing in the shop waiting for my rear tyre being bullshitted by... i wont say anymore.. getting a little angry here...

but honestly, out of all this i would FAR rather do what i could have/usually do and find an old tyre in the garage with enuf tread to be passed and put it on myself with the leavers... fucking bad experience.. is it always like this? wankers, bullshitting a poor little :oinnocent 18yo who has never bought new tyres b4...

Leading Edge here i come! (well, hopefully not for a while) sharpe reckons i should come back in with the bike and make them get the friggin right ones and replace them free of charge! fuckit, i just wont go back, and my advice to those who havnt been there yet, dont bother :) (and altho i mall pissed off about this i dont blame mike/mark for this directly as i think they seem alright dudes)

Anyways so i get to track time yadda yadda about 10 pix taken will b up somtime soon, my 3rd out of 4 sessions was timed for my 4th 6th and 8th laps, i ran 1:27, 1:25, 1:23.   and was getting a speedo reading of *approx 215 top speed, mostly about 200 at the kink and then it kept fluttering around depending on where i held the throttle.. will clean carbs out to hopefully resolve this/ re-jet (who knows what the idiot b4 me jetted it to, but he wasnt running an airfilter)

oh, and after the scrubbing etc NEW TYRES ARE FUCKING AWESOME! despite being the wrong profile(in terms of stock recommendation) and a *old hard* tyre on rear, STICKY AS A MOFO comparativly.  i think in that last novice run i ran really well on aout 3rd lap but mate didnt time... next aim will b for no photos, just timing and aim for <1:20.  Had great fun out there and even got unsuspectingly passed you mitch :p(i wont mention she was going slow/marshalling)only to be blasted by on hte outside rather shamefully like 3 laps later.:(

All in all the bike held together fully, i had a great day and am keeen to race!

Oh and lastly, Curious George in another post mentioned chicks liking leather... Shot brother! hahaha ;) and cheers mitch for selling them... dunno if they worked for you as i didnt exactly have guys coming up to me asking Q's :P but anyways sweet as, managed to meet up with an ex-gf from when i was like 11/12 (did it count then?:p) who i aint seen her in ages..AND SHE LIKES BIKES! and claims that the rear seat of the NC24 belongs to her -sweet, no complaints here.:cool:

haha, just a pitty i only stayed @ the party for like 10mins and was home in bed by 1am, ready to wakeup @ 6am to get ready for the day i explained above :done:

Firefight
15th September 2003, 07:59
Hey, Logan as per normal an extremely detailed analysis of your day @ Puke, sorry I could not come and watch, back on weekends,:argh: Anyway about your tyre probs, seems like you were Fuc#ed around a bit, I have not had any dealings with this outfit so can not comment from direct experince I will remind you as stated b4, that I have had a great run of service from Kerry (next to motomail), and am going back to get some deabilos or whatever there called, only got 7300 k's out of my D208.s on the R6, and thats without any track time, and as most that ride with me know I'am a bit slow:angry2: I will await the posting of photos
cheers firefight:rockon:

What?
15th September 2003, 08:58
I know that agreeing with KK could see any credibility I might have get quickly trashed, but he's on the mark about CycleTreads. Good prices, but a bunch of wankers. I no longer frequent their premises. Haven't done since they put a rear tyre on back-to-front, then reckoned it shouldn't be a problem. When I insisted it was a problem, they re-fitted the tyre but were less than enthusiastic about re-balancing it. As KK says, Fuck Cycletreads.:done:

babyB
15th September 2003, 16:32
yep was a cool day good to see u KK & spman mitch

didnt think i was going to get there either ,will not with the cbr.  it was in peices having steering head bearings, front forks, brake pads,battery. swing arm & wheel beering, why have 2 sets of wireing for the regularor etc.picked her up fri. in the mean time i decided to paint her too (what a job) finished it on saturday avo now to get her back together. no easy feet .after my fering repares well some of them didnt line up as they should:o

anyways got her loaded bout 2.30am packed the gear and bed at 4am.....:gob: the power went off so the alarm didnt so was in a panic at 7am rang vince about being late. got to puke. the bike didnt pass the clip on the drive chain was missing but the wire safty was many thanks to the guy who gave me one.on the track  and hell im in the wrong class and yep i lost count of on missing pit lane reckon the might have to put up a billboard just for me. hay i had a grand day and thanks to the instructer (ill remember his name one day) that helpped me & pillioned me hes good.thank to all that helped . and to honda farm services who finished me bike 3 weeks before i thought i needed it

750Y
15th September 2003, 16:39
nice one KK, sounds like you had a good day. your times got faster so that's a good confidence boost.

SPman
15th September 2003, 19:56
Well, for first time on a new  bike still to be sorted, he werent going too bad! - almost as quick as Mitch!  :eek:

A pity Si wasnt there as a comparison......   

:D

BabyB also looked as if she was starting to settle in by the end - although abit more confidence needed at the hairpin? :niceone:

Pickle
15th September 2003, 20:30
Sounds like you guy's had a ball, hope Vince Sharpe gave you all some words of wisdom he's a top bloke with years of experience. Used to race for the matich Pirelli race team in Aussie & in NZ for Blue Wing Honda when CBX 1000's & CBR1100s were fast.

Keep going to the track you can only get better & KK Sean Walsh is a wanker from way back

Kwaka-Kid
15th September 2003, 21:34
haha yeah.. i got that impression..

anyways yes BIG thanks to vince sharpe for his quick rundown on tyres/pressures.  Thanks to mitch for lettin me follow ur line for a short while - and then in heinsite thanks even more for flying passed me after being on an ego-trip from passing you :p ego fell right back down to earth and i slowed up a little and didnt exeed my own capabilities.

anyways one thing.. ive noticed my 2 weakest points out there now... 1) braking for the hairpin, but thats no sweat, that was only due to confidence of the front tyre after my dad telling me how slippery it will be and how im not aloud to crash the bike. and 2.. my BIGGEST problem/slow point.. Jennian Homes corner.. here i came off my ZXR :( im sure its bound to be tied in with that.. Problem is.. i come flying at it... start to lean left a little and think "oh fuck, going too fast, fuck, i know what will happen" and take another grab @ the brakes ... start going aorund it and FUCK its a lumpy corner! anybody else notice that? the one time my bike is bobbing up and down and im being thrown around on the tight little seat... and that just unsettles my confidence and i come out of it thinking "shit, i came out of theret way too slow thru there, but i just cant enter it any faster as im scarred the back will bounce and slide :S  its just like friggin jumpy as! suspension is the next thing on the list to do.. just replace fork oil, and locate the Preload of rear shock and adjust... who knows what any suspension settings are atm, havnt checked @ all. -but thats after manfield/puke again most likely

Firefight
15th September 2003, 22:08
Hey Logan, will come with practice, did you try following other more confident riders lines as they went through JH ? prob a bit in your head too if that's were you came off, like I said give it time,
cheers.

firefight:rockon: ps what date are you staying in Puke ? We must meet up for a few:wavey:

Kwaka-Kid
15th September 2003, 23:01
haha hell yeah!  head down Manfield Friday.. stay there that night.. race all day saturday, head up for puke @ around 2300 that night to sleep @ motel.. then wakeup and race next morning @ pukekohe.

so yeah i could come out @ 2300 for a few, just till 0100, then wakeup @ like 0700, sweet, 6 hours sleep does me fine.

Si you keen?  -i already know mitch is one of those ones that likes her sleep so i wont bother asking

Mitch
16th September 2003, 09:04
:eek:   KK I can't believe it hehehe  You are correct  :niceone:  

Was a fantastic day, thanks to Bestfun and Spman because without them and others like them we would not be able to have our fun!!!!  :love:   Thanks guys xxx  

Hoon
16th September 2003, 10:30
JH sweeper:  Yep I have the same problem with the bike bouncing around over the bumps.  The JH sweeper and the last sweeper are my "money" corners where I have the best chance of passing people so I put a lot of effort into carrying as much speed as I can handle while relying on others to back off.

All I can say is to have faith in your bike (of course this is assuming your have it all squared away and theres no niggling issues that need sorting).  Also hunt out the level patches on the track and adjust your line to suit (within reason).

My problem with the JH sweeper is flicking the bike over fast enough to make the next turn.  I've been working on my pivot steering (see KC's Wrist II) but progress has been slow.

Another thing I found out is that to carry max corner speed my line had to be better than 95% perfect otherwise I would be forced to make adjustments that could affect my stability.  I saw that I was only hitting my perfect line about 1 in every 4 attempts so I starting focussing on reference points and now my success rate is about 3 in 4 (Keith Code to the rescue again!)

bluninja
16th September 2003, 10:33
KK, staying up for a few ginger beers after racing and driving....I think not:(

Sorry I missed your spectacular successes on the track, but I guess I'll get to see it first hand in a few weeks:D:D

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
16th September 2003, 10:42
hah, dunno about that.

but hey, is there practise etc b4 racing? coz fuckin hell i wont know if the corners go left right up down or otherwise! :S

Coldkiwi
16th September 2003, 18:35
following on from what Ho-hoon said... the biggest problem I've had through through the jennian homes corner has been trying to do too much. the times I've been well sorted on my speed and attitude as I tip in are the times I've felt really comfortable through it and have been in a good position to get out of it. I'm not very experienced at all (dave'll be able to give you wise advice I suspect) but I do know that being smooth is a major key to being fast. if you were still braking through the entry to the turn, that may well have screwed up your line through it and exit (...and through castrol, and your entry on to the straight, and probably the way you braked for the hairpin too... its a bastard but one bad corner can root you for several afterwards).

*puts 2 cents in the jar and leaves* :)

bluninja
17th September 2003, 10:43
So you need to know the corners at Manfeild KK? Remember it's the long track...no shortcuts:D

Hoon
17th September 2003, 10:47
Ummm....which way around do you go?

bluninja
17th September 2003, 12:40
You go clockwise...from the little flag to Coca Cola(right hander)-Castrol(esses right left right)-Husqvarna(left hand hairpin)-Higgins(Right hander)-Toyota (lefthander off of short track back straight)-Lester(right hander)-Ken Smith(Right hender)-Right Hand hairpin-Iplex Pipelines(long sweeping double apex lefthander back onto short track)-Dunlop(right hand sweeper)-Finish.

Is that what you meant?

TTFN

Mitch
17th September 2003, 17:25
Originally posted by HO-Hoon
Ummm....which way around do you go?

LMAO  HO-Hoon that's not like you :D   :niceone::eek::niceone:

TMP
11th March 2015, 12:09
Sean Walsh is the biggest piece of shit that ever walked this earth. Sean Walsh is the biggest piece of shit that ever walked this earth. Sean Walsh is the biggest piece of shit that ever walked this earth. Sean Walsh is the biggest piece of shit that ever walked this earth. Sean Walsh is the biggest piece of shit that ever walked this earth. Sean Walsh is the biggest piece of shit that ever walked this earth. Sean Walsh is the biggest piece of shit that ever walked this earth. Sean Walsh is the biggest piece of shit that ever walked this earth. Sean Walsh is the biggest piece of shit that ever walked this earth. Sean Walsh is the biggest piece of shit that ever walked this earth. Sean Walsh is the biggest piece of shit that ever walked this earth.

Most Evil scumbag there is, point made.

sugilite
11th March 2015, 12:41
And random dredge/post of the year goes to fun loving "Ducadi" riding TMP! :first:

bluninja
11th March 2015, 12:55
Random post in this thread after a 12 year hiatus :devil2: