PDA

View Full Version : What is it with people who don’t wear Gloves?

F5 Dave
4th February 2005, 12:30
So what do we know about accidents?

Most happen within a short distance from your home so the “I’m not going very far” argument is null & it doesn’t take much imagination to figure what will happen to your delicate hands on contact with chipseal from more than about 30 km/h.

“Oh I’m too hot” . . . “Oh I need the control”

OH PLEASE! <_<

Waylander
4th February 2005, 12:33
Dont know mate, at a minimum i atleast wear my leather wieght lifting gloves. need to get something a little better to wear when goin more than 50Kmh though.

outlawtorn
4th February 2005, 12:37
I've come of my bike twice, both times I've been wearing my full riding gloves, and thank god for it too. But I must admit, lately I've been wearing my fingerless gym gloves, because it IS too hot.

Skunk
4th February 2005, 12:39
Minimum: Helmet, leather jacket, leather gloves, jeans, boots.
Almost always: Helmet, leather jacket, leather gloves, leather pants, boots.
When touring: Helmet, Spidi armoured jacket, gloves, Spidi armoured pants, boots.

dhunt
4th February 2005, 12:45
I thought it was funny when I saw someone today when I was coming to work who was in shorts but had a jacket and gloves on. I guess at least part of them is covered :bash:

bugjuice
4th February 2005, 12:45
a lack of gloves is the least of most peoples worries. The amount of people I've seen riding in shorts and Tshirts.. just makes me wonder..

I'm like Skunk on points 1 and 3 (I don't have leathers yet, I've got that kevlar material stuff), altho when ever I ride with jeans, I'm so damn paranoid.. I also have a back protector as well as the one built into my jacket.
End of the day, you have to pay for your safety. How much do you value your limbs etc?

F5 Dave
4th February 2005, 12:48
Fingerless gloves?
No problem if you can do without those fingers.

New Zealand is not too hot, c’mon. Folks race in Malaysia fully kitted so it is not too hot here. Vented gloves are quite cheap.

I’d rate gloves just after a helmet. I mean you can’t even wipe your bum let alone reply to posts on the internet if you screw your fingers.

Waylander
4th February 2005, 12:48
I can understand the need for protection and i do plan on buying a good set of leathers for long rides with some armor. But there is a point when you get to much protection and it takes away from the thrill of the riding, atleast for me it does.

Pwalo
4th February 2005, 12:53
Wear all your @#$!ing gear, especially your gloves. Broke bones in both hands last November but didn't lose any skin. I hate to think what condition I'd be in now if I hadn't been wearing helmet, boots, gloves, and armoured gear.

If it's too hot to wear proper gear don't ride. :doh:

sAsLEX
4th February 2005, 12:58
Fingerless gloves?
No problem if you can do without those fingers.

New Zealand is not too hot, c’mon. Folks race in Malaysia fully kitted so it is not too hot here. Vented gloves are quite cheap.

those dririder mesh type gloves are only about 80 bucks !

James Deuce
4th February 2005, 13:05
those dririder mesh type gloves are only about 80 bucks !
Exactly, and I'll give them a rave review, having crash tested them and not even marked them.

They do make you feel cooler. You can feel air contacting skin and I'm sure a bit of heat exchange does go on.

Mr Draken? BS sir, absolute BS. NZ is not the land of the free, home of the brave, and we are ALL paying for your skin grafts when you screw up. You can't sue anyone here. It's just another fatuous argument, and another example of why our various taxes increase on a yearly basis.

Waylander
4th February 2005, 13:11
Im not saying that I ride with out protection but still if you want better protection drive a cage not a bike, and yes I am gonna buy some leathers with armor and good gloves and boots ect. ect. But buying exrta armor to wear under all that is just silly in my opinion (no offence to peaple that do this) I'm not crazy and ride around in shorts and t-shirts, the least i go down to is my leather jacket, good jeans, my boots, my workout gloves and in the city my beany helmet, out in the country I wear my full.

(300 post:first: now i have 3 gold stars)

F5 Dave
4th February 2005, 13:14
So what do we know about accidents?

Most happen within a short distance from your home so the “I’m not going very far” argument is null . . . “

oh look I get to quote myself!

TonyB
4th February 2005, 13:17
Saw a guy riding a ZXR9 or a ZX9R or what ever riding onto the Gold Coast Highway in light rain wearing a helmet, shorts, and jandals (sorry- thongs). Fuggen idiot.

Waylander
4th February 2005, 13:19
oh look I get to quote myself!
Yes but at speeds less than 50-60k's a full helmet doesnt protect anymore than a beany unless you do a face plant ofcourse but on my bike thats not to likely.

dhunt
4th February 2005, 13:23
Yes but at speeds less than 50-60k's a full helmet doesnt protect anymore than a beany unless you do a face plant ofcourse but on my bike thats not to likely.
Maybe, maybe not - but I wouldn't like to ride round town without a helmet on, there too many cages driving round.

crashe
4th February 2005, 13:26
Well I own two types....

Full gloves and Fingerless gloves...

I tend to wear the fingerless one's more than the full gloves, but then that is my choice to do this.

Lately even getting the fingerless gloves off in this humid weather takes quite a bit of time.. as they are stuck to my skin.

I spent a long time trying to find full gloves that would even fit me, as I have short digits.... It took me around 10 months to find them.

I have brought two sets of fingerless gloves as I actually like them.

I do usually carry the full gloves in the backpack especially if its gonna be real cold at night, or as a spare set if I get caught in the rain.

Yep I am fully aware of the risk wearing fingerless gloves...

Waylander
4th February 2005, 13:30
Maybe, maybe not - but I wouldn't like to ride round town without a helmet on, there too many cages driving round.

I have only once or twice ridden without a helmet and that was back in the states, my dad rode around with out one but he was always tellin me to wear it (kindof a do as i say not as i do thing) and when your dad is 300lbs of muscle and stregnth you tend to listen. Exspecially when he boxes you up side your ears when you dont:bash:

Paul in NZ
4th February 2005, 13:43

Sorry - (in the nicest possible way) Thats complete and utter Bollocks! A statement of fact followed by an example that disproves the statement. No to mention how your bike has been provided with anti face plant technology from the factory. :Pokey:

But you just can't hijack a thread about gloves with a helmet debate even if you are from Texas! :lol:

If you want to see what riding with no or in appropriate gloves does come look at my thumb. I was damned lucky 31 years ago not to loose it but it's still stuffed and hurts like the billy O in freezing weather...

Wear gloves and boots that cover your ankles. No excuses, no weasel words, no exceptions...

Paul N

Waylander
4th February 2005, 13:47
Sorry - (in the nicest possible way) Thats complete and utter Bollocks! A statement of fact followed by an example that disproves the statement. No to mention how your bike has been provided with anti face plant technology from the factory. :Pokey:

But you just can't hijack a thread about gloves with a helmet debate even if you are from Texas! :lol:

If you want to see what riding with no or in appropriate gloves does come look at my thumb. I was damned lucky 31 years ago not to loose it but it's still stuffed and hurts like the billy O in freezing weather...

Wear gloves and boots that cover your ankles. No excuses, no weasel words, no exceptions...

Paul N
haha yea well I cant see myself goin over the front end of my bike and hitting the road. Maybe the car i hit but not the rode.I dont know it might happen but thats a risk im willing to take, everyone has their own feelings about riding and all but this is mine, anyway if i can find some gloves that will protect my fingers and keep my hands cool then im all for it. Until then its the workout gloves that atleast protect my palms.

dhunt
4th February 2005, 13:52
My mate and I have pointed out to a couple people when we're stopped at the lights that they're not wearing gloves. Not sure if makes any difference but you never know.

dhunt
4th February 2005, 13:54
haha yea well I cant see myself goin over the front end of my bike and hitting the road. Maybe the car i hit but not the rode.I dont know it might happen but thats a risk im willing to take, everyone has their own feelings about riding and all but this is mine, anyway if i can find some gloves that will protect my fingers and keep my hands cool then im all for it. Until then its the workout gloves that atleast protect my palms.
I've hit a car head on - gone over the car and onto the road and broken my wrist and had scuff marks on my gloves, I'd hate to think what my hands would be like if I wasn't wearing gloves. Comfortable comes second to safety in my books.

s.langham
4th February 2005, 13:56
I always wear my cordura jaket + pants, boots, gloves nd helmet! same goes for the fool on the back!

the one time i thought "its too hot to wear my pants i'll jst wear ma jeans home. :sweatdrop ...." i dropped my toy........ less than a km from home........ripped up my knee :brick:
looking at the scuffs on ma gloves i woulda been f**kd for aages if i hadn't been wearing them, same with my boots, sliders were ground right (further) down
hmmmmm guess i shoulda started reading these forums earlier... :disapint:

still sumtimes its best to learn the hard way

my g/f was over in auzzi last week, said the only protection she saw any rider wear was a helmet!!! and not the ones in the city doin wheelies for the ladies............ hmm guess its a good way to reduce the numbers of auzzies :yeah: :whocares:

Waylander
4th February 2005, 14:01
I've hit a car head on - gone over the car and onto the road and broken my wrist and had scuff marks on my gloves, I'd hate to think what my hands would be like if I wasn't wearing gloves. Comfortable comes second to safety in my books.
Went over the car when i wrecked the rebel but i rolled over the car and came down on my feet standing in front of her. then walked around to the back and thuroughly cussed and jumped and hollerd after taking my helmet off.:banana:

James Deuce
4th February 2005, 14:03
We have proof.

George Bush IS the cleverest Republican.

Tigger
4th February 2005, 14:05
My cousin came off his bike at a very slow speed, 30km/h or less as he was slowing to a stop and a car door was opened on to him. When he fell his hand was caught under his hip/leg. He was lucky only to lose 1 finger, the rest were a mess. It's just not worth it in my opinion. Put the gloves on.

Paul in NZ
4th February 2005, 14:06

Thats the problem, we can't envisage the accident until afterwards. Then it abundently clear.

Mesh gloves! MESH gloves...

Think about this, having nice soft palms is not going to help you pleasure yourself unless you have all your fingers and a thumb in similar condition. :eek:

And you will need to be able to enjoy a good wank because you aint getting a date with that face you messed up on the road 'cos you were not wearing your full face helmet.... :buggerd:

Paul N

Waylander
4th February 2005, 14:07
We have proof.

George Bush IS the cleverest Republican.
So what are you tryin to say??:sly:

Pwalo
4th February 2005, 14:48

WTF. I had my off at 50 or so kph. I was tapped from behind and highsided (so I've been told). My old HJC has a crack down the right side of the mouth piece, the visor is scratched all the way across, there are gouges on the top and back, and some blood from where I took it off afterwards before realising I had a compound fracture of my right hand. Oh and it's slightly mishappen on the right hand side, and my glasses have a bend in the right side arm.

Sorry mate it doesn't matter what sort of bike you ride, or a what speed you need a full face on the road. I reckon I'd probably still be having reconstructive surgery otherwise.

James Deuce
4th February 2005, 14:53
Thats the problem, we can't envisage the accident until afterwards. Then it abundently clear.

Mesh gloves! MESH gloves...

Think about this, having nice soft palms is not going to help you pleasure yourself unless you have all your fingers and a thumb in similar condition. :eek:

And you will need to be able to enjoy a good wank because you aint getting a date with that face you messed up on the road 'cos you were not wearing your full face helmet.... :buggerd:

Paul N
They have mesh backing, leather and kevlar palms and fingers, and composite knuckle protectors.

Waylander
4th February 2005, 14:54
WTF. I had my off at 50 or so kph. I was tapped from behind and highsided (so I've been told). My old HJC has a crack down the right side of the mouth piece, the visor is scratched all the way across, there are gouges on the top and back, and some blood from where I took it off afterwards before realising I had a compound fracture of my right hand. Oh and it's slightly mishappen on the right hand side, and my glasses have a bend in the right side arm.

Sorry mate it doesn't matter what sort of bike you ride, or a what speed you need a full face on the road. I reckon I'd probably still be having reconstructive surgery otherwise.
Maybe so, but its still my preferance.

FlyingDutchMan
4th February 2005, 15:02
I've come off a friggen push bike and got four stitches under my chin for my troubles. That would've been at 8km/h or so. Fuck knows what 50km/h and no helmet can do!

Skunk
4th February 2005, 15:04
haha yea well I cant see myself goin over the front end of my bike and hitting the road. It's not just "going over the front". Highsides are good for landing on ya head. I have a helmet at home that's fucked (at the forehead point) from a 30kmh highside. The gloves are stuffed (ripped open AFTER the leather wore half way though and the stitching wore though) but they protected the hands for long enough.
And no other vehicle was involved... and the rider was 'just cruising' at the time.
:mellow:

Waylander
4th February 2005, 15:07
Gonna catch a lot of flack for this arnt i ;) its just the way i enjoy riding. i enjoy the thrill of it and the comraderiy and all that a certain level of protection is ofcourse required but to me theres just a point where it just becomes redundent and if i wanted that i would just drive a cage.

outlawtorn
4th February 2005, 15:10
I don't I've got the guts to go "open face" helmet, I've seen some pics of accidents where guys have been wearing open faced helmets and it aint pretty.

I'd rather wear a full face and not suffer the indignity of having an accident and leaving my chin at the scene when the ambulance takes me away.

How much on average are mesh gloves? All this talk has got me thinking twice about wearing my fingerless gloves.

Paul in NZ
4th February 2005, 15:15
Gonna catch a lot of flack for this arnt i ;) its just the way i enjoy riding. i enjoy the thrill of it and the comraderiy and all that a certain level of protection is ofcourse required but to me theres just a point where it just becomes redundent and if i wanted that i would just drive a cage.

Yup! Nuttin' like the thrill and comeradery of settin around in the plastic surgury recovery ward sniffin on ether and talking about the good ole day and seeing if you can convince the purdy nurses to help a good ole boy out...

Dude. I'll chuck on a open face for a test ride so's i can listen to all the horrible noises my turgid old shit box makes (like two cheese graters fornicating in the bottom of an empty biscuit can) but thats it.

Last KB ride I caught a bird in the face, if it... Oh suit your self..

Have fun..

Paul N

zeRax
4th February 2005, 15:21
mesh gloves are certainly cheap enough, raid the couches and get some, imo.

way to not use edit btw

Blakamin
4th February 2005, 15:35
No matter where I go, I wear my gloves... feels weird without them.. and mine are full winter bastards.. (i'm a cheap prick, what can I say)
yesterday was the first time I had ridden more than 2 k's without my cordura pants.. and fuck was I slow... the whole time thinking "shit, what a fuckin stupid idea this was" (specially goin over pi-cock following sels1 where I could've given that little bit more)
had my boots and jacket tho...
next ride the pants will come or I'll stay home....

ALTRON
4th February 2005, 15:40
I wear my spidi race Gloves all the time. To put them on is as natural/automatic as putting my helmet on. Bike feels strange without gloves.. :confused2

TonyB
4th February 2005, 15:46
Yep, I won't ride without gloves, jacket, boots and at least jeans. I wouldn't wear an open face helmet, cause a used to live next door to a guy that face planted on a very slow moped- what a bloody mess! Plus the allmighty 'CRACK' that a bumblebee makes when hitting the visor is enough to convince me that a full face is the best option. Took a hit from a small bird in the shoulder once, felt like I'd been punched- wouldn't like to have one hit my bare face :crazy:

Motu
4th February 2005, 15:49
I've come off a friggen push bike and got four stitches under my chin for my troubles. That would've been at 8km/h or so. Fuck knows what 50km/h and no helmet can do!

I've crashed at over 50kph WITHOUT ANY helmet many times without a scratch - if you're flying dutchman,you gotta know how to land...be like a cat.

Hitcher
4th February 2005, 15:52
Another shameless plug here for Dririder Drimesh gloves. Jim2 has probably said it all -- but they are brilliant. Cool, protected hands in summer. No compromise.

TonyB
4th February 2005, 16:00
I've crashed at over 50kph WITHOUT ANY helmet many times without a scratch - if you're flying dutchman,you gotta know how to land...be like a cat.
Ah, but I fell off in some oil once. Was going around a corner, thought 'Gee, I'm leaning a long way'. Then the bike was just gone. I landed just like a cat- on hands and knees- but the helmet still hit the road. Would have lost severe amounts of chin and nose, and the wound would have been covered in oil. Yummy.

Admittedly when I got hit by a car I managed to avoid landing head first by executing a foward roll. The helmet wasn't even marked, but then I had some air time to plan it!

Pickle
4th February 2005, 17:40
We were coming back from Napier on Sunday and some tosser on a GSXR1000 on the Takas was not wearing gloves, how can you ride a bike like that without gloves, he was riding like a nana but with the amount of shit on the Takas you just never know. Then when going down the motorway he was splitting lanes now that's cool :Pokey:

If you want to see what happens when you crash without the proper safety gear watch a DVD called "Stunts gone wild" after watching this you would wear all the safety gear, Viv couldnt watch it all.

NC
4th February 2005, 17:48
I didn't wear gloves for 2 years... I dunno why

Monsterbishi
4th February 2005, 17:58
I didn't wear proper gloves for the first 7 or 8 years of riding, just a pair of thinsulate gloves, after they wore out, I got a decent pair of leather gloves, and now I can't ride without them since it just doesn't feel right.

SPman
4th February 2005, 18:08
Last time I didn't wear gloves was 1971, when I highsided a T250 Suzuki 1km from home at about 40k! Fuck it was sore - couldnt use my hands for 2 days - if the back of your hands get grazed you can get some use out of them, but if you graze or injure your palms - you're fucked! Straight down to the bike shop in Browns Bay (yes, there used to be one there for a while - test rode a YR5 & YDS7 there) and bought a new pair of proper gloves and havent ridden without, since.

soljan
4th February 2005, 19:23
My mate that got me into biking is missing a nuckle out of one of his fingers, hes been riding since he was 16 hes now 31, and hes only had 3 accidents in his life on bikes, which says to me hes not a dangerous rider (or lucky), so after seeing his glove and the bike (slid out from him in the wet) hes thankfull it was only one nuckle and minor skin damage.

Hes dead certain not having gloves on would have left him with out a working hand.

The biggest thing he taught me it dosnt matter who the rider is, what the bike is, the unforseen will happen to anyone, even the experienced. The only thing one can do is prepare for the worst so when the shit does happen the after effects are not as bad.

So gloves and everything else all the way, for the sake of wearing protective gear you could prevent something happening that would stop you riding for good.

Pickle
4th February 2005, 21:26
Last time I didn't wear gloves was 1971, - couldnt use my hands for 2 days - if you graze or injure your palms - you're fucked! test rode a YR5 & YDS7 there.

Fuck you must be an old bastard, test riding a YR5 & YDS7. There's probably not too many on this forum who even know what they are :)

Skunk
4th February 2005, 21:33
...for the sake of wearing protective gear you could prevent something happening that would stop you riding for good.And that is as good a reason as any I have ever heard. :yes:

Skunk
4th February 2005, 21:35
Fuck you must be an old bastard, test riding a YR5 & YDS7. There's probably not too many on this forum who even know what they are :)And you remember them. What does that say about you :killingme

SPman
4th February 2005, 21:40
Fuck you must be an old bastard, test riding a YR5 & YDS7. There's probably not too many on this forum who even know what they are :)

Well, it was a mate with a new YDS3 that got me into bikes! So how sodding old does THAT make me! :confused:

Two Smoker
4th February 2005, 21:57
Ill put it all into one. If you dont wear full protection, (or pretty much full protection) you are a fucktard. And if i see you at a gas station or on a KB ride, i will tell you how much of a fucktard you are...

How many crashes have you guys had (that dont wear gear) to say "im safe wearing no gear?" exactly, fuck all.... Thats probably why i ONLY WEAR FULL GEAR.... and that means FULL GEAR....

Waylander
4th February 2005, 21:58
I've had 2 wrecks mate so.... chill out:Playnice:

Skunk
4th February 2005, 22:09
Well, it was a mate with a new YDS3 that got me into bikes! So how sodding old does THAT make me! :confused:What's that '63ish? I'll bet Doug was riding before that... :lol:

He'll kick my ass for that!

Motu
4th February 2005, 22:24
Ill put it all into one. If you dont wear full protection, (or pretty much full protection) you are a fucktard. And if i see you at a gas station or on a KB ride, i will tell you how much of a fucktard you are...

How many crashes have you guys had (that dont wear gear) to say "im safe wearing no gear?" exactly, fuck all.... Thats probably why i ONLY WEAR FULL GEAR.... and that means FULL GEAR....

I wear everything I can get hold of - but I've had a shit load of prangs wearing just sneakers,jeans and a demin jacket,not even a helmet - you will find no mark on me,not even with an Xray - I'm no fucktard,part of riding a bike is knowing how to crash safetly...kinda like marshal arts,learning to fall so you don't hurt yourself.I am fucking SICK of hearing YOU WILL DIE if you don't wear full racing leathers - CRAP!!!!

FROSTY
5th February 2005, 09:22
If I meet ya some day Ill show ya the remains of a full faced lid I have in my gargre. It was being worn by my ex missus on a scooter -she was doing 40km/h and slid on some diesel --the chinpiece is ground down as is the visor
nuff said??

Skunk
5th February 2005, 09:28
I am fucking SICK of hearing YOU WILL DIE if you don't wear full racing leathersI do hurt myself every time I crash. I have a 100% record for doing it and I wear the gear. I just can't land right :lol:
I would be worst off in about 60% of the accidents if I wasn't wearing the right stuff. Cuts, grazes and shit like that. Oh, and serious head injury in one case.
Guess it depends if you're a talented crasher or not. I'm not. Talented that is. :confused:
and it helps if you know what sort of crash you're going to have :killingme

Motu
5th February 2005, 10:03
If I meet ya some day Ill show ya the remains of a full faced lid I have in my gargre. It was being worn by my ex missus on a scooter -she was doing 40km/h and slid on some diesel --the chinpiece is ground down as is the visor
nuff said??

Come down and see the helmet at my gargre - and I mean this,it's on display - it's had no road spills as I gave that up long ago,but was my road,race and off road helmet for 10 yrs,it's had a hell of a life and shows it.When I rode on the dirt track on a practice night if I didn't dump the bike at least half a dozen times I considered I wasn't trying hard enough,been used in a rally sprint and lots of the fast endurocross races we used to put on.In 10 yrs this helmet has been tumbling off the bike with the rider more times than most of those here will do in a life time of riding.

Come and have a look (dare you) it is scratched and marked all right - but it has NEVER contacted the ground!

FlyingDutchMan
5th February 2005, 10:13
I've come off twice now - both low sides at about 50km/h, on smooth bitumen. Wearing jeans both times, First time wearig a polar fleece and ski gloves. Not good, but it was good enough to avoid any medical attention - very minor grazes - I did worse last night falling over the road walking (:drinknsin). Second time I had proper jacket/gloves the second time, and it does make a difference. The worst thing from both of them was the sore neck I got the next day from when my head was bouncing around.

Jantar
5th February 2005, 11:55
Come and have a look (dare you) it is scratched and marked all right - but it has NEVER contacted the ground!

I have lost count of the number of times I've come off, both on and off the race track. Like Motu, I have NEVER had a helmet touch the ground. However I DO NOT ride without gloves as they are one item that has saved me from injury more than any other.

As far as other gear goes, I make it a general rule to not ride with any bare skin showing. Its not always full protective gear, but at least jeans and jacket. However over the past two weeks I have broken this self imposed rule almost every day. When I knock off work at 7:00 pm and the temperature is over 35 in the shade, and closer to 45 - 50 when exposed, it is just too dangerous to wear protective gear. I'd pass out from heat stroke before getting home. So is it better to wear the gear in case you have an accident, or to dress in a manner to help avoid the accident in the first place?

MSTRS
5th February 2005, 12:30
So is it better to wear the gear in case you have an accident, or to dress in a manner to help avoid the accident in the first place?
The gear doesn't cause the accident. I know what you are getting at, tho. But still, wear the right gear.

mouldy
5th February 2005, 13:48
I've come of my bike twice, both times I've been wearing my full riding gloves, and thank god for it too. But I must admit, lately I've been wearing my fingerless gym gloves, because it IS too hot.
Hog riding mate of mine wore fingerless gloves . Now has 2 fingers on right hand.open face lids should be banned ,got an old full face at home with big gouges down the front ,low speed crash, got knocked out but i've still got my face

Two Smoker
5th February 2005, 15:17
I wear everything I can get hold of - but I've had a shit load of prangs wearing just sneakers,jeans and a demin jacket,not even a helmet - you will find no mark on me,not even with an Xray - I'm no fucktard,part of riding a bike is knowing how to crash safetly...kinda like marshal arts,learning to fall so you don't hurt yourself.I am fucking SICK of hearing YOU WILL DIE if you don't wear full racing leathers - CRAP!!!!

If you see in my previous post i didnt once say "FULL RACING LEATHERS" i said full gear.... I can also tell you, i probably wouldnt be here or riding bikes if i hadn't been wearing full gear all the times i have crashed, and i definately wouldnt be riding bikes.

Motu
5th February 2005, 16:51
It's a miracle I'm still here to ride bikes at all - the reasons I am have NOTHING to do with the gear I was wearing.

Two Smoker
5th February 2005, 17:30
It's a miracle I'm still here to ride bikes at all - the reasons I am have NOTHING to do with the gear I was wearing.
Yes, but that would be another thread on "Avoidance of accidents... What to look for and how to react"

Groins_NZ
5th February 2005, 22:39
Went up to Levin late this afternoon to see my parents. It was quite hot and a little sweaty - my hands especially, being inside my leather gloves n all. They can be a little hard to get off at the end of a ride but I figure that’s a small inconvenience.

Anyway, going North just out of Paraparaumu I spotted a young couple (girl+guy) on a bike and all they had on were t-shirts, shorts and sneakers. The guy looked like he thought he was ‘cool’ - riding one-handed; his other hand resting on his bare thigh. :nono:

Then, coming into the arse end of Otaki a big hard looking lad goes past on a Harley. I’m thinking to myself, “??? what was wrong with that picture?... fuck me stupid, the twat had NO helmet on – just some cool looking sunnies lol :cool2: ”. Another invincible Harley rider…

My partner used to ride with her ex more than a few years back. She said they used to ride around with just jeans or pants, a warm jacket and a pair of trainers. She was a bit hesitant when I advised her to buy some Cordura pants and jacket, leather gloves and boots. I’m glad she did though in the end. It might not have been so bad, say 10 years ago for wearing lighter gear while riding but things have changed. The environment we ride in has changed – there’s a whole lot more incompetent cagers on the roads for starters!

All the posts you are reading in this thread are from people who have survived (obviously) 1 or more crashes. Unfortunately we don’t get to hear from the people who weren’t so LUCKY! My father used to be a GP and has seen some NASTY SHIT being in attendance at motorcycle, or motorcycle + car accidents. When I was a young lad, I remember him coming home some evenings and having to sharpen his knife yet again after just cutting some persons trousers off.

To the riders, who for whatever reason, think they can get away without wearing either a pair of gloves, some ankle high boots, a full face helmet, some decent pants or jacket – good luck to you, I honestly hope you don’t come a cropper and suffer. At the end of the day it’s ‘each to his own’, nobody wants to fall off, but an accident is... well just that, an accident. It doesn’t matter whether you’ve managed to get away injury free on your last 100 bins, you don’t know what’s going to happen next time (or do you – spooky Moulder?) whether you think you can ’land right’ or not.

Question/s :spudwhat: why even wear fingerless gloves? Are they to prevent you from getting sweaty palms? Do you think because you’ve got half a glove, you’ve got at least half of the protection?

That’s my way of thinking anyway – rant over. :done:

loosebruce
6th February 2005, 04:31
After my last off, and i'd like someone to tell me i would've been alright if i didn't have full gear on. But a member on here Mid Life Crisis who was at the scene of my crash was so impressed with how lightly i got off for the type of crash i'd just had, that a few days later he went and purchased a set of full leathers and sidi boots as he figured jeans and sneakers that he was wearing wont do. Well done Ray :niceone:
For sure some people have some luck with crashing, but it may run out one day, i know what i want to be wearing when i ain't lucky, what i wear all the time.

Motu
6th February 2005, 08:50
I certainly don't advocate not wearing safety gear when riding a bike,I've got several bits of kit to choose from and am probably way over protected than most out on the road...always have been.I've been riding a lot longer than most on this site,ridden more different bikes,types of riding etc.I've been wearing gloves since 1970,MX boots and leather trou on the road since 1981 and a back protector since 1992,I've been ahead of the aceptted norm all my riding career and have very strong views on safety,if you follow some of my posts you'll find I'm in there hard on some silly prick who tries to blame some outside influence on their crash rather than accept the responsibility themselves.

But I've crashed enough to know how to do it,I've been down the road enough in jeans to know you can slide a long way in them,I've learnt not to put my hands on the ground,keep my head up,basicly being aware in my crash situation - having an ''accident'' is under your control,so is controling what is happening during the crash.

I too really get annoyed seeing people wearing shorts and T shirts on a bike - but then I don't rave on bleating how they have to have road racing gear - good boots,jeans,a good jacket,gloves and a good helmet is the basics,build up from there.

Poor ridding skill has killed more people than the clothes they were wearing...but better protection may let them live to reflect on their mistakes.

gsxr750
6th February 2005, 09:14
Question/s :spudwhat: why even wear fingerless gloves? Are they to prevent you from getting sweaty palms? Do you think because you’ve got half a glove, you’ve got at least half of the protection?

when young dumb and working as a courier in melbourne I come off not whereing gloves on one of the freeways. Had all the other gear on, so was fine sept no skin left on my palms "PAIN". after that I wore fingerless gloves all the time. You can keep them on all day (ralitivly cool), remove halmet, use pen, do diliverys etc and still have your palms covered just in case.
Nick

Riff Raff
6th February 2005, 15:52
After my last off, and i'd like someone to tell me i would've been alright if i didn't have full gear on. But a member on here Mid Life Crisis who was at the scene of my crash was so impressed with how lightly i got off for the type of crash i'd just had, that a few days later he went and purchased a set of full leathers and sidi boots as he figured jeans and sneakers that he was wearing wont do. .
Yes your crash has influenced my thoughts in the direction of getting myself a set of leathers too. Having seen the damage done to a person who went for a little slide down the road wearing normal clothing, and knowing the methods used to remove gravel imbedded in skin at hospital - I would like to pass on having that experience thankyou....

loosebruce
6th February 2005, 17:05
But I've crashed enough to know how to do it,I've been down the road enough in jeans to know you can slide a long way in them,I've learnt not to put my hands on the ground,keep my head up,basicly being aware in my crash situation - having an ''accident'' is under your control,so is controling what is happening during the crash.

Yea i agree fully, there is an art to crashing and things to do and not to do. I ahve had more than a few crashes on motorbikes (all my fault) and years of having high speed (in pushbike terms) crashes on my mtb, you can learn a lot.

I also agree with with poor riding skills causing more injury than people not wearing full riding gear.

I dont ride all the time in full "race" gear, depends on the situation, if i'm just hacking it to work and back, its the ol leather jacket and jeans, even though in past experiances jeans dont really do a hell of a lot protection wise (unless they are draggin's) better than shorts though.

TygerTung
6th February 2005, 22:51
I wouldn't ever wear a open face helmet, I once came off my pushie at about 10kmh, and my face got fucked up, front forks snapped off when I went onto the footpath onto the road... Blood was pissing out everywhere, and my teeth were all pushed back...

Went to the hospital and they got the gravel out from under my skin, my lips swelled up to 3 times the normal size, and I had to drink through a straw for a week, just had chocolate milk :apint: After a couple of weeks, my injuries cleared up a little and I could open my mouth and I went to the dentist.

He gave me some anestetic and then pushed my teeth back into place and gave me some braces... Had them for about 6 months I think, my teeth still arn't right and I carry the scars on my face to this very day.... They arn't too noticable, but they're there.

Now all this was on a pushie, I'd hate to see what it would be like when you're going at speed.... I like my face, it is so pretty, so I will ALWAYS wear a full face helmet.

Jantar
6th February 2005, 23:21
... Now all this was on a pushie, I'd hate to see what it would be like when you're going at speed.... I like my face, it is so pretty, so I will ALWAYS wear a full face helmet.

In 1974 a good friend of mine pranged his kwaka H2 750 triple at around 60 km/h. He had on an open face helmet because full face were not readily available back then. He ended up with similar injuries to what you describe, but not nearly as bad. 2 years later he had an almost identical accident, but with a full face helmet this time. The facial injuries were so much worse when the helmet itself collapsed (as they are designed to do) and bits of helmet were pushed into his mouth.

I'm not going to advocate that either full face or open face helmets will give better protection in the event of a crash as so much depends on the manner the crash happens. All I can say is that in all of the crashes I've ever had on or off the track, no part of my helmet has ever come into contact with anything. I have broken a leg once, broken ribs a few times, smahed my clavical once, but never suffered any form of head injury. Maybe its just luck, but I always make sure I have on some sort of head protection.

Atomic
6th February 2005, 23:39
is knowing how to crash safetly...kinda like marshal arts,learning to fall so you don't hurt yourself.

Yeah I know how to break fall but its not always that simple.
When I high sided and got thrown most likely head over heals, there was
no way I was gonna beable to make a precision landing! It happens far too fast and you have very limited control over your body when you have been thrown through the air!

I tell ya what, I was very glad I was wearing knuckle buster leather gloves!!! The knuckles on the gloves were scored down about 10mm, Imagine the damage that would have done to my actual mere human knuckles!
I dont agree with not using your hands either, if your sliding on your arse and use use your hands also it will slow you faster with the friction more evenly dispersed rather than being focused on your butt. Id rather tear 50% through my pants & 50% through my gloves than 100% through my pants and into the flesh of my arse......basic figures for examples sake.

I recommend zip together pants & top cause I ended up with a nasty on my lower back where my jacket rode up. Road rash is baddd stuff guys, dont get it!!

By the way Motu, id like to see you land on your feet at over 50kph! If thats what you meant by "land like a cat"?? I have no doubt that someone might land on there feet, but what purpose would this serve as you cant run that fast anyhow!

F5 Dave
7th February 2005, 08:59
Well I figured this thread would be light the fuse & run away for a while (as I will be off SI tomorrow).

Really I started it as a “what the hell are people thinking” muse, but if it makes just one person decide to wear some gloves or other decent gear then I think it is worth it.

Jantar: there is always some exception to the rule story that the ‘no seatbelts’ crowd have been pushing for some time, but no 2 accidents are the same & there is no way to say that the guy was worse off with a helmet on & PS helmets AREN’T designed to do that, well not since the Polstar abominations of the late 70s & things have moved on somewhat. Monumentally.

I’ve visited a friend in hospital who was ‘only’ going for a test ride so was wearing ½ face & overalls. He wasn’t so happy but got off lightly.

As I said before people race in full gear in crazy hot countries.

Oh yeah. If you see Aaron Slight, ask what he thinks about glove protection. He almost lost his race career by having his glove grind through & keep going when he got his hand caught under the bike. Only a very skilled surgeon got it working again. Glove technology has improved since then but please don’t tell me anyone you reckon you can crash every time without hurting yourself because you know the technique (better than Aaron etc?).

Midnight 82
7th February 2005, 12:05
:yeah: Well said F5 Dave :yeah: :yeah: :brick:

Pwalo
7th February 2005, 12:24
[QUOTE=Motu]I

Yep I've slid down the road a couple of times, and just got back on my feet and picked up the bike. However the accident that did the damage was a high side when a car nudged me from behind. Not a lot of time to control anything.

Thumbs break, and kneecaps whack the handlebars as you get thrown over the highside. Hands, head and shoulder bounce off the ground repeatedly as you roll. Even worse your bike self destructs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not saying that everything was beyond my control, but any highside is going to hurt.

vifferman
7th February 2005, 13:06
It will never happen to me.

I'm too smart, too lucky and too tough. :yeah:

Safety gear is for pussies who don't know how to ride.

The only bike gear I wear is to look cool.

F5 Dave
7th February 2005, 15:10
. . .

The only bike gear I wear is to look cool.

Yeah oilskins & white freezing worker gummys. Chicks dig that Dunchaknow. :cool:

Skunk
7th February 2005, 15:18
It will never happen to me.

I'm too smart, too lucky and too tough. :yeah:

Safety gear is for pussies who don't know how to ride.

The only bike gear I wear is to look cool.Speedos :cool:

Blakamin
7th February 2005, 15:33
Speedos :cool:
you're tooooo cool!!!!

Not only Slighty.. look at Doohan... he knew how to control an accident... they'd just carry him to the bike for the fun of it!!!! (nuthin to do with the fact he couldn't walk)

Lias
8th February 2005, 12:33
My mate that got me into biking is missing a nuckle out of one of his fingers

After my first crash in december I'm missing a knuckle now too. Its still there as such, but it got pulverised and doesnt stick up at all.. small knuckle of little finger, big bloody dip, then the big knuckle of my middle finger.

3 Fractures including that one, and a big chunk of skin missing off the middle finger. That was wearing decent gloves. I dont think I wanna know what it woulda been like if I'd still been wearing the polyprop gloves I was riding around with when I first got my bike (I knew I needed gear, but the wallet said otherwise.. Got a full kit now thou but no bike Waaaah)

vifferman
8th February 2005, 12:51
I'm very tempted to wear my gloves while typing this - they look so kewl sitting in my in tray. But the sundry nerds/dweebs/weirdos sitting here might think I was a bit odd.

Oh wait - they already do. :doh:

T.I.E
8th February 2005, 13:35
i'm guilty, i can be so a nail ( who knows whos reading) about protection. but lately it has been so dam hot. i thought i would ride without my gloves. and i was kicking myself over it. then it got hotter so i took my jacket off. riding around town is more dangerous than the open road but a dam site hoter too. when your sitting in traffic and the sun is beating down and you know you will have to wash the jacket again cause i'm sweating like a pig.

i know but i couldn't help it. protection is a must, and there is no excuse. or else i could be another statistic

Krusti
8th February 2005, 14:00
Guys that dont wear gloves are the same ones that probably wont wear condoms! :wari: Hubba hubba

Krusti
8th February 2005, 14:02
Replace all words (gloves) with (condoms) makes for a much better read!