PDA

View Full Version : Police provide free bike locks

Bob
5th November 2008, 01:21
Cirencester, UK; Police have commenced an innovative scheme to reduce bike theft. In collaboration with Cotswold District Council, they have arranged for a number of ground anchor points to be installed at car parks around the town.

Bikers can then borrow locks from Cirencester police station – safer than having to carry their own locks and chains for their whole ride.

PC Mark Godsland, who came up with the initial idea for the new anchor points in 2005, said: "Provided riders can give proof of their identity they can borrow the locks to ensure their machine is secured for the duration of their stay."

hayd3n
5th November 2008, 06:26
nice great idea

stanleychung
5th November 2008, 12:39
That is a very very smart idea. Even just the permanent anchor points because its good and all that I attach a D lock to my wheel but there is nothing stopping someone trailering a bike totally away. Big ups to people who were actually thinking when they came up with this stuff. :Punk:

davebullet
5th November 2008, 18:44
Two other benefits:
1. If spaced correctly at parking bays - would discourage bikes from trying tio squeeze in causing damage. Of course spacing can vary greatly depending on width of tourer, commuter style bikes

2. Prevent blowover in a wind gust

Kiwi number 8 wire version....

I thought about going into town one day and simply putting two dynabolts in the ground. Then all I need to carry is a small steel plate without a cutout and "hump" for the side stand to fit through and hey presto, secured bike.

Dave.