PDA

View Full Version : Personal alarms

ManDownUnder
5th November 2008, 09:26
Who has them - and what do I look for? What makes a good one?

What would you recommend?

racefactory
5th November 2008, 09:35
My singing arabian mosque alarm clock seems to do the trick for me. :whistle:

ManDownUnder
5th November 2008, 09:39
nice - but back on topic. Thx

NighthawkNZ
5th November 2008, 09:42
whats a personal alarm??? what is suppose to do?

xwhatsit
5th November 2008, 09:44
Alert you when you're being too personal.

vifferman
5th November 2008, 09:52
I think it's an alarm to alert you if someone is tampering with your personal places.... :blink:

slimjim
5th November 2008, 09:56
O like pepper spray...fuck it carry a sawn off shotgun..

davereid
5th November 2008, 10:01
I've got a really good one, its made by Sturm Ruger and Company.

It makes 25 really loud alarming bangs, and I'm sure it will scare the hell out of the local burglars should they wander around my back yard one dark night.

ManDownUnder
5th November 2008, 10:03
Personal alarm = small jobbie carried on the person that makes a shitload of noise if that's ever wanted. Some come as small pressurised containers with a whistle/horn on top, others have a pin you pull out (so they can't be deactivated).

Thinks of it as a noise grenade - 130dB of "fuck off" as well as "everyone look at me"

vifferman
5th November 2008, 10:05
Thinks of it as a noise grenade - have 130dB of "fuck off" as well as "everyone look at me"
Oh!
So it's basically like "I'm a BadAss Biker On A Harley With Drag Pipes In A Can" then.

Stirts
5th November 2008, 10:06
It makes 25 really loud alarming bangs, and I'm sure it will scare the hell out of the local burglars should they wander around my back yard one dark night.

Fark that's flash, my dad just used a baseball bat!

Mom
5th November 2008, 10:09
Personal alarm = small jobbie carried on the person that makes a shitload of noise if that's ever wanted. Some come as small pressurised containers with a whistle/horn on top, others havd a pin you pull out (so they can't be deactivated).

Thinks of it as a noise grenade - have 130dB of "fuck off" as well as "everyone look at me"

When I was a teenager my Mother bought me a personal alarm to carry, it was a torch in essence, but had another switch that when activated about deafened anyone within 50m radius. No idea what brand. Never had to use it, it did not make me feel anymore safe, but reassured my Mom.

I went nursing and learned a few self defense tricks, which I still practise today, now that made me feel much safer.

I got stopped one night by a big dark skinned man while I was walking back to the nurses home, just as I was about to use a couple of my little tricks he started speaking English (heaven only knows what language he was speaking before) and I realised he wanted help, not to do me harm. Lucky bugger really, umbrella spikes and keys can do a shit load of damage.

Can you buy spray mace legally here?

ManDownUnder
5th November 2008, 10:15
Can you buy spray mace legally here?

No - it's an offensive weapon...

Mom
5th November 2008, 10:17
No - it's an offensive weapon...

Bugger, reckon that would be fairly effective :D

ManDownUnder
5th November 2008, 10:28
Bugger, reckon that would be fairly effective :D

I hear fly spray's just the ticket... or over cleaner if you're that way inclined... I'd go for flyspray personally... the other might have you up on a variety of premeditated charges.

"... and lo! Perchance I found a small can of Mr Muscle in my hand bag..."

vifferman
5th November 2008, 10:35
Ack Shirley, there are lots of aerosol sprays that are nasty when sprayed in the face or eyes: perfume, WD40, spraypaint, brake cleaner, chain lube, airfilter oil, contact adhesive, etc etc.
And as most aerosol cans have LPG as a propellant, they become even nastier if the assailant happens to be smoking...

JMemonic
5th November 2008, 10:49
I used to sell these things, sorry but really they are a fancy torch, think about car alarms for attracting attention, most folks just ignore them, if you think about it the frequency of these things means if you are outside and being attacked when you set off the alarm it is highly unlikely that someone inside will hear it, as to 130dB of screaming sound, unless you can hold onto to whilst under attack then they can just be thrown away.

Better to learn and practice some self defence techniques.

racefactory
5th November 2008, 13:15
umbrella spikes and keys can do a shit load of damage.

Please enlighten me on how use keys as a weapon. Thanks.

Stirts
5th November 2008, 13:19
easy peasy

Mom
5th November 2008, 13:22
Please enlighten me on how use keys as a weapon. Thanks.

Make a fist with a few keys poking out between your fingers. A quick rake of knuckles down face makes a person hurt, and with any luck mark them enough for later identification. Even holding them in a clenched fist with the keys facing out away from your little finger end and jabbing will create a bit of pain. These things are not designed to actually stop someone grabbing you, but hopefully the element of surprise and a bit of pain will make them let go and allow you to leg it making a hell of a racket as you do!

ManDownUnder
5th November 2008, 13:23
And at the risk of dragging this back on topic... (for a good reason I hasten to add)...

http://www.feelsafeandsecure.com/personal_alarms.html

Is there any real world experience out there to indicate one model is better than any other?

Big Dave
5th November 2008, 13:38
I can do an aerosol screecher that would alarm anyone too.

There are a range of personal monitored alarms and medical alerts from places like 'Signature Security'. They are more for medical conditions and the elderly though.

ManDownUnder
5th November 2008, 13:40
I can do an aerosol screecher that would alarm anyone too.

There are a range of personal monitored alarms and medical alerts from places like 'Signature Security'. They are more for medical conditions and the elderly though.

Cheers - I'm talking about the kind that would stop an attack in broad daylight in a South Auckland carpark... fr'instance...

Mikkel
5th November 2008, 13:56
Make a fist with a few keys poking out between your fingers. A quick rake of knuckles down face makes a person hurt, and with any luck mark them enough for later identification. Even holding them in a clenched fist with the keys facing out away from your little finger end and jabbing will create a bit of pain. These things are not designed to actually stop someone grabbing you, but hopefully the element of surprise and a bit of pain will make them let go and allow you to leg it making a hell of a racket as you do!

Not very efficient if you know how to throw a decent punch... Truth be told one of the best defensive techniques is a quick sharp kick over the shin and then run.

Something which is not illegal and very nasty... You can, with the right recipe and a small amount of chemistry, make a concentrate of the smell emitted by rotting bodies. A bit of this sprayed into the face of a would be assailant is likely to see them on their knees, spewing their guts out. Be quick to run upwind though.

The Pastor
5th November 2008, 13:57
You can also buy a belt sword, a flexible steel sword that doubles as a belt!

irishlad
5th November 2008, 14:11
I worked with a girl who had one. Set it off in the shop one day. No one noticed it, in a confined space. Think it was designed to set off by assailants ear & scare them. Mini Wasp would be more effective. $99 + P&P off TradeMe.

Katman
5th November 2008, 14:16
My personal alarm begins with the message "You have received an infraction..............".

It tells me it's time to go to bed.

ManDownUnder
5th November 2008, 14:19
My personal alarm is the message "You have received an infraction..............".

It tells me it's time to go to bed.

You have received an infraction..............

Righto then - fuck off...

MadDuck
5th November 2008, 15:23
So it's basically like "I'm a BadAss Biker On A Harley With Drag Pipes In A Can" then. :rolleyes:

Now if only Harley Davidson could bottle some of that.

davereid
5th November 2008, 17:39
You can easily make MACE or a similar product if you want a fair go at defending yourself should the worst happen.

A small squirty bottle can easily be filled with a variety of chemicals that will be very effective.

Try all the peppers from the herb dept, with a good dose of detergent to reduce the surface tension so they will spray well, and get into tightly closed eyes.

Add ink or dye if you wish.

In New Zealand it is illegal to defend yourself using a weapon like this - only the bad guys get to be armed.

So if you use it, don't wait for justice to arrive, just save your arse, and leave.