PDA

View Full Version : BMW F800R ...about time Mr Beemer

MD
6th November 2008, 17:54
I love this time of year. Summer is coming up over the horizon, short skirts are coming out of the wardrobe and Manufacturers come out of the closet with new goodies in Milan.

http://motorcycledaily.com/05november08_bmw2009f800r.htm

The F800 Owners forum have been guessing & asking for a naked F800 since the first F800 came out in 2006. Funny thing is the real thing unveiled in Milan yesterday is bloody close to those photoshop speculators.

My F800S was the only bike I've sold that I miss. This naked version might be promising but I'm not decided if I like the look or not yet. And dumping the belt drive is a disappointment, although I can see why they did it if they want to give a sportier impression.

Two more horse power! Cool, I hope they strengthened the chassis then. Personally I felt that the motor punched above it's weight anyway powerwise. So a couple more is just a bit of icing on the cake. Better suspension and better ABS- THAT is what the Owners forum has been demanding from day one. Good to see they listened..finally.

We are so lucky to have such a nationwide extensive network of BMW outlets...NOT

MD
6th November 2008, 19:10
Orange is Ok.

Can't see any point in their headlight shroud, identical to the Street triple fly screen almost.

The Baron
6th November 2008, 19:12
Wow.

But the lack of a good nationwide network is a problem. It's still Wow.

AllanB
6th November 2008, 19:14
Interesting.

I'd pop my money on a Street Triple.

Actually at BMW prices I could probably get a Speed Triple :Pokey:

MD
6th November 2008, 19:40
I forgot to add. MCNews UK claim that BMW will pitch the price to match the Street Triple R ($16,500). Which is obviously the market they are gunning for. If it's that much below their S, ST & GS models then they might lose S/ST sales to the cheaper R, instead of gaining sales from other brands.

It will win the comfort battle by a wide margin though. I've only sat on a Street III but it does seem that your feet are a bit close to your bum.
Oh, BMW heated grips, how I miss them.
I think it will be a fun bike and handle damn well. Like so many other naked these days.

Fatjim
6th November 2008, 19:51
Mmmmmmm,........na.

AllanB
6th November 2008, 20:13
I forgot to add. MCNews UK claim that BMW will pitch the price to match the Street Triple R ($16,500). Which is obviously the market they are gunning for.

Now we are talking - bring on the naked wars.:yes:

Hitcher
6th November 2008, 21:08
If one lives in Wellington and wants a new BMW, one has to travel some considerable distance. Indeed a distance identical to that required to have said purchase serviced.

NordieBoy
6th November 2008, 21:24
A BMW Versys with a Triumph front?

jrandom
6th November 2008, 21:27
Sexytime!

I'd ave one. $16,500, even! Lots of bikes being released at that price point recently (XR1200, etc). I'm almost impatient for Betty to wear out and need replacing, now...

xwhatsit
6th November 2008, 23:04
Probably not many will share my view, but I reckon BMW are producing some very cool looking motorcycles. At the very least, interesting-looking. I wonder who their industrial designers are?

EJK
7th November 2008, 12:26
Wow it's got a fuel hole on the right hand side

R6_kid
7th November 2008, 14:14
Wow it's got a fuel hole on the right hand side

Gas tank under the seat makes it better for wheelies...

And gives you a nice storage area where the 'tank' usually goes. Makes them good for overnighter trips!

Forest
7th November 2008, 15:24
I've always loved the asymmetric BMW lights.

They make me think of the 0_o emoticon.

MD
7th November 2008, 21:50
1. Gas tank under the seat makes it better for wheelies...

2. And gives you a nice storage area where the 'tank' usually goes. Makes them good for overnighter trips!

1. So right!

Me when the bike was only 2 weeks old. It's probably rooted now.
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=5nZgcYSl_CE

2. Sorry R6 but the F800 has nothing but airbox under the faux tank. But being so sexy it comes witha a pack of condoms under the seat. BMW, they think of everything.
The under seat tank really does improve weight distribution.