PDA

View Full Version : HI all... coming to NZ for a few months and need a bike

KITCH
8th November 2008, 01:05
Hi from the UK. I'm Kitch, motorcycle fanatic from the UK. Already sold my wife and child to make room for more bikes. I've been over to NZ a few times over the years, but only now have I managed to get the time and cash together to do it on 2 wheels properly... which leads me to ask you folks... is anyone selling a well sorted large bike (anything from klr650 xt600 etc through to 1200 bandit or fj1200, cruiser,road, or dual purpose) in the Canterbury area??? I have stuffed my neck a bit so I cant ride sports bikes, but anything with an upright riding position is cool. Hard luggage and shaft drive would be handy, but as long as its got a rack I'll cope. Not fussed about cosmetic issues, but needs to have a long wof, decent motor and mechanicals cos I have spent too many hours sitting amongst the guts of poorly bikes in the middle of nowhere! Wanna ride not play with spanners :D Budget is variable depending on what's offered, but certainly nothing over $10k as that would mean I'm living on beans and stealing from bird tables. I'll be in the Christchurch area from the 22nd Nov. Cheers, and ride safe
Kitch

paulmac
8th November 2008, 07:00
got a bmw k100 for $6500 ! its in the trader section on this site.

KITCH
8th November 2008, 12:33
I'll give it a look cheers. kitch

Fatt Max
8th November 2008, 15:22
Nice to hear another Englishman venturing daahhhnn Undah. I'm in the norf island myself, been here 10 years since moving from London.

Cant help you on the bike front but enjoy your time here and ride safe

Laters potaters

Pedrostt500
8th November 2008, 15:58
brand new DR 650 $8600 at the moment, Check out "Trade Me", The NZ auction site, plenty of bikes to suit your preferance and budget. good luck.

KITCH
8th November 2008, 21:50
Yeah the UK is not a great place these days; petrol was up to $3.25 per L a few months ago, still $2.70. Minimum spend on a pub lunch is around $25 for something simple like pie and chips (with no drink) and beer is $8.50 a pint!!!!
I could go on... and on and on

FJRider
8th November 2008, 21:58
Yeah the UK is not a great place these days; petrol was up to $3.25 per L a few months ago, still $2.70. Minimum spend on a pub lunch is around $25 for something simple like pie and chips (with no drink) and beer is $8.50 a pint!!!!

Please don't... and we thought we had it bad...

SARGE
9th November 2008, 00:33
Please don't... and we thought we had it bad...

at least we dont have Pommy food

Moki
10th November 2008, 16:49
Hey Kitch- moved over here myself a few years ago from your neck of the woods (well, more a tractor boy than a canary). Your making the right move-especially if you've been here before. As for lining up a bike, what are you into? Sport, Adventure, Touring. Plenty of choice here especially with the big adventure bikes like the 1150GSs. New DR650s are just over $8k, KLR650s at $9.5k. Have a look at www.bikepoint.co.nz to get an idea. Rgds- Moki

Moki
10th November 2008, 16:53

GULP!!! (choke) Shit! And it's probably inedible rubbish as well.....
Kiwi has some pretty decent pies and know how to make a good coffee.:shifty:

Fatt Max
11th November 2008, 21:14
GULP!!! (choke) Shit! And it's probably inedible rubbish as well.....
Kiwi has some pretty decent pies and know how to make a good coffee.:shifty:

Pies..........mmmmmmmmmm

KITCH
13th November 2008, 08:26
pies are good... so is cofee... which I've drunk gallons of today to try and gain some headway against this BASTARD hangover... Looking like a 2009 klr650 is on the cards, way up to the top of my budget but WTF, new means proper warranty (and yes i've read the posts about dodgy rings on the 2008 klr's). Not long now, still frantically packing, unpacking, chin-scratching and generally scuttling in circles round piles of camping and bike gear. At least I'm not bringing my girlfriend this time so theres a truck load of pointless shit less :D

fire eyes
14th November 2008, 01:22
welcome Kitch! and stay away from Fatt Max .. he has a fettish for pies .. and you REALLY dont wanna know what he does with them LOL :hug:

KITCH
14th November 2008, 06:25
I'm ok now.. did have a while when i was going bad on the pies.. and anything else i could stuff down my face, but after 8 months of much strangeness and confusion I started smoking again and immediately lost 10kg :D At least I can get back into my one-piece leathers now.

sinfull
14th November 2008, 07:11
Pack ya shorts brother ! The suns coming out !

CookMySock
14th November 2008, 08:52
At least I'm not bringing my girlfriend this time [....]Theres plenty here to tickle and chase anyway..

Steve

mickeyboy
14th November 2008, 10:54
Mate get a bike you can ride on the gravel, the best scenery in the south island is off the seal ! txt me if you want a hand when u get here.
027-3669717 mick

KITCH
14th November 2008, 12:30
Yup. gravel is good. I grew up on horses and dirt bikes so it's kind of inbred (for those of you who have never heard of Norfolk, that kind of thing does go on... but Im not originally local so I'm pretty certain im ok.) Cheers for the offer Mick; I'll get in touch when im over. Actually might have changed my mind away from a klr - theres a not too expensive 650 dakar bmw about 5 miles from my m8's near rangiora which has hard panniers.... saves a lot of fekkin about trying to get a klr kitted up for luggage. We shall see - whatever it is, it's going to have knoblies :D

Moki
14th November 2008, 20:22
pies are good... so is cofee... which I've drunk gallons of today to try and gain some headway against this BASTARD hangover... Looking like a 2009 klr650 is on the cards, way up to the top of my budget but WTF, new means proper warranty (and yes i've read the posts about dodgy rings on the 2008 klr's). Not long now, still frantically packing, unpacking, chin-scratching and generally scuttling in circles round piles of camping and bike gear. At least I'm not bringing my girlfriend this time so theres a truck load of pointless shit less :D

If get the KLR I have a unused complete doohickey kit. Ended up having a brain embolism and ended up with a Husaberg 600....as an adventure bike.

When are you arriving these shores?

KITCH
14th November 2008, 23:58
landing 22nd, still humming and haaing about klr or f650 dakar... both have positive aspects but i suspect the dakar might be the better overall choice for nz; can do the gravel but much better on tarmac than the klr. If I get a klr, I may well be interested in the doohicky (took me ages to work out what everyone was on about; never heard that term in the UK b4!) cheers, Kitch

Moki
15th November 2008, 08:17
landing 22nd, still humming and haaing about klr or f650 dakar... both have positive aspects but i suspect the dakar might be the better overall choice for nz; can do the gravel but much better on tarmac than the klr. If I get a klr, I may well be interested in the doohicky (took me ages to work out what everyone was on about; never heard that term in the UK b4!) cheers, Kitch

Cool.

Better hurry up and line up a bike then. The Burt Munro's the following weekend - a big event for us down here. Not quite the scale of the BMF Rally, but much more fun. :banana: Plan on the Battle of the Streets series - like the Wanganui Cemetary Circuit - Boxing Day '08.:2thumbsup Where are you looking to call home?

KITCH
15th November 2008, 09:53
Lol, you're tellin me i better hurry up. Fekkin wish I'd changed a wedge of cash into nz dollars a month ago - pound has slumped against everything, about 10% less nz$ now... thats $1250 dissapeared in a puff of financial bullshit. Fek I get annoyed by that kind of thing... you work, strive etc and then some nonsense bloody happening like economic decline stabs you in the bank account. Oh well, could be worse, it could have been me who crashed in september instead of my girlfriend (poor old troll can now move her forearm 15cm... thats progress.) In fact the UK sucks in so many ways... It took 2 weeks before she could get surgery for a a completely severed humerous - broke into 4 bits just under the shoulder joint then the remainder of the bone punched up into the joint... OWWWW) whereas in NZ i suspect it would have been pretty much straight in. 2 weeks of sitting there in utter agony... Rule Brittania? BOLLOCKS!!!! Anyways, wheres the Burt Munro do? (what a dude... proper hero.)

KITCH
25th November 2008, 10:04
Well Im finally here... took a day or 2 to get over the flight as per usual - Im sure it gets worse as i get older lol. I walked into superior motorcycles in Cristchurch yesterday and asked how quick could they give me a new klr650 on the road... then wafted the dollars under his nose... bloke practically fondled me with joy. So Im set up now, just finishing off sorting out luggage and wiring a cig socket onto it etc. Heading off for invercargill and the burt munro tomorrow, taking my time and breaking the bike in meticulously... may well leave it with friend here for next time im over. anyways, have fun! Kitch

vifferman
25th November 2008, 10:16
Good stuff! Welcome to Noo Zilund. :wavey:

Kia ora!