PDA

View Full Version : Fatal motorcycle accident in Kumeu - I'm ok

ManDownUnder
8th November 2008, 10:40
A couple of calls this morning to check if I'm ok alerted me to a fatal bike accident in Kumeu last night.

1) It ain't me
2) If anyone knows someone that needs help in/around Kumeu - I'm ok to offer reasonable help.

Maha
8th November 2008, 10:43
A couple of calls this morning to check if I'm ok alerted me to a fatal bike accident in Kumeu last night.

1) It ain't me
2) If anyone knows someone that needs help in/around Kumeu - I'm ok to offer reasonable help.

Just txt you two mins ago.......cheers for being around Ned.

Jacko2
8th November 2008, 11:12
I'm still here.
Condolences to family and friends.
Bit too close to home

ManDownUnder
8th November 2008, 15:10
Update - I understand it was down Waitakere/Hanham Road area Kumeu

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/423466/2287531

Duke girl
8th November 2008, 16:47
Always sad to hear about another motorcyclist killed on our roads. Condolences to Family & Friends of the deceased. RIP. To all of you out there who will be doing alot of riding over the Summer period, Please ride to the Conditions and Ride to Survive.

dwnundabkr
8th November 2008, 18:59
fark thats a bit close, sorry for your loss to family and friends, i hope its no one i know

Street Gerbil
8th November 2008, 19:38
R.i.p.

Toaster
8th November 2008, 19:40
Very very sad news.....

Gizzit
8th November 2008, 20:37
Very sad news, and I just read a second motorcyclist died on a Ulysses ride:

"A motorcyclist was killed in a crash west of Taumarunui today.

Police said the 40-year-old man was riding with the Ulysses motorcycle club when he lost control and hit a fence on Ohura Rd, Tokirima.

He was the second motorcyclist to die on the roads this weekend, after another rider crashed into a pole in Kumeu, north-west of Auckland, around 10.40pm yesterday."

A wake up call for me. I binned today going through an off camber corner ... just a tad too fast, and couldn't crank it over any further. I went into a ditch on the edge of the road at around 70Kmh or less. (not sure actually)
My bike is pretty good, just a ding to the tank, snapped the small screen, bit of a ding/scrape to the rear cowling below pillion seat area, and one of my pipes has a small dent/scratch.
I wrote my helmet off, injured my right thumb, and gave myself very sore balls! Apart from that, everything was fine. I passed out briefly apparently, but only momentarily .... just a bit of shock.
My step son was following on his bike and he got a bit of a shock!
No real drama in the end. We got my bike out of the ditch, and rode home.

However ... reading about the two deaths ... means I will take it easier on roads I'm not very familiar with, ... as well as the ones I know! It makes you realize how easy it can happen, and was a timely reminder about how easy we can damage or kill ourselves, enjoying the riding of motorcycles.

Mrs Busa Pete
8th November 2008, 20:44
This will make number 3 R. I. P to all .

www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=85817#post1802481

Very Sad Weekend to the biking community.

Dave-
8th November 2008, 20:57
Rip both riders.

howdamnhard
8th November 2008, 20:59
What a lousy weekend for biking.My condolences to all the families that have suffered loss.

MyGSXF
8th November 2008, 21:27
Shit...... 2 threads in 1 minute... gutted! :(

Thoughts & prayers to all involved..

shit...

ynot slow
8th November 2008, 21:37
Hopefully it is only 2 rip guys,went onto stuff site and says 2 riders,please be 2 don't need anymore.

Meekey_Mouse
8th November 2008, 23:37
Man, another sad weekend for bikers :no: does any one know if it's been 2 or 3? Either way... RIP to all riders and condolences to their family and friends.

Ride safe every one :hug:

Johnnyb
9th November 2008, 09:13
I was just googling for news of the crash and came across this thread.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to you all for your kind thoughts - It was my brother that died in the Kumeu crash.

My partner and all his friends ride, so it's been a bit of a wake up for everyone around here.

Anyway, thanks again, i was reading through the comments and it brought tears to my eyes.

Ride safe guys :)

Sarah

CookMySock
9th November 2008, 10:28
My partner and all his friends ride, so it's been a bit of a wake up for everyone around here. and for us too. It's going to be a summer of slowin' down for me, and enjoying being able to walk.

Best,
Steve

007XX
9th November 2008, 10:39
Most sincere condoleances to all affected by these crashes.

May our brothers in arms rest in peace.

Ned, I am f***ing stoked it's not you my friend, but it doesn't make the news any less horrible really.

fizbin
9th November 2008, 12:34
wake up call for everyone. condolances to all the families involved RIP to the riders:(:(

Kiwi Graham
9th November 2008, 12:44
:weep:Thats two I've read about in as many mins. :no: Givng the wife and kids a bigger hug than usual when I get home. Condolences to all effected

jafar
9th November 2008, 14:45
R.i.p .........

jrandom
9th November 2008, 16:31
It's going to be a summer of slowin' down for me, and enjoying being able to walk.

I see this has turned from an "I'm OK" thread from Nigel into a generic RIP thread... presumably that's why my comments in response to this post keep getting moved.

No amount of moving my posts will invalidate the points I've made, however.

:)

And my condolences, of course, to the family and friends of the rider who crashed in Kumeu.

ManDownUnder
10th November 2008, 13:32
Per http://www.stuff.co.nz/4756087a11.html

Benjamin Tattersal, 34, of Henderson, died when he failed to negotiate a sharp right hand bend on rural Waitakere Road in Kumeu, northwest of Waitakere, around 10.40pm on Friday.

Mr Tattersal died at the scene after hitting a pole on the side of the road. Kumeu police said there was no obvious cause for the crash, which happened in dry conditions.