PDA

View Full Version : Flat Slides

SPman
15th September 2003, 22:47
Is there any shop in Auck. that can actually set up flat slides? The old bus is running like a POS & I hope it is mainly carbs! There must be people out there, but where?

:confused:

Kwaka-Kid
15th September 2003, 23:04
wheel it into the KK-workshop-of-art and ill see if i can fix it.. possibly modifying into *dented slides* could be the option to fix... or just plain old glue-open slides?

:p :p

Redstar
7th October 2003, 20:24
Is it flat slides or flat sides? I dont know the term but I thought it was the sides that are flat giving a flat side to the butterfly valve
I really don't know what I'm talking about educate me.

Motu
7th October 2003, 21:42
They could be fat slides...that's an easy fix,just lean it out.

merv
8th October 2003, 12:19
Originally posted by Redstar
Is it flat slides or flat sides? I dont know the term but I thought it was the sides that are flat giving a flat side to the butterfly valve
I really don't know what I'm talking about educate me.

A flat slide carburettor has exactly what it sounds like - a flat slide. The slide being the thing (valve) that slides up and down as opposed to a butterfly valve that rotates. Earlier carbs had round or oval slides.

The flat slide carb on my DR250R has been the biggest pain in the arse on that bike since I have had it. The action of the carb is way too jerky especialy throttle off - throttle on, which doesn't make for easy riding on slippery trail surfaces when you need good control and likewise on the tarseal as you lean into corners. That coupled with bad driveline lash has not endeared me to the Suzuki product and I've been looking for a better dirt bike that suits me ever since.

The VFR has semi flat slides and it is as smooth as. Maybe that's just typical of Hondas.

Motoracer
8th October 2003, 13:35
I am pretty clueless when it comes to carbs. Does anyone know of any good websites that can give me detailed information about carb balance, tuning etc?

MikeL
8th October 2003, 14:20
Originally posted by Motoracer
I am pretty clueless when it comes to carbs. Does anyone know of any good websites that can give me detailed information about carb balance, tuning etc?

Your bike's service manual would be a good place to look.

I did, and it looked so bloody complicated I didn't get any further!

:argh:

750Y
9th October 2003, 08:20
What sort of bike is it for?
I know a guy who is an ex speedway race mechanic. He's pretty clued up & has a passion for old bikes. he knows his way around oil cooled suzuki engines very well & probably knows his way around a flat slide too. he has a workshop & his rates are reasonable.

SPman
10th October 2003, 21:12
[QUOTE]What sort of bike is it for?{/QUOTE]

Me cantankerous old YZF 750SP

I have been told the bodies wear out and cant be rebuilt....? so find a set of CV's................:(

750Y
15th October 2003, 08:07
with the cv's once it's done it'll probably run so smooth you wont believe it.

A Toad 2
22nd May 2004, 18:56
Before attempting to balance the carbs, check the following :

The ignition timing is correct, use a strobe light, Plug leads and plugs are in good condition.

The intake tubes are not leaking and any rubber parts are not cracked, if they are, replace them.

Air filters are clean and correctly secured

The tappets are adjusted correctly (All V-twins and singles based on the V twins,1.0mm inlet and exhaust)

Petrol can flow easily through the taps, swill out the tank if needed.

Carb internals are clean and no jets or holes are blocked

Chokes are firmly closed

FROSTY
22nd May 2004, 19:13
yep I agree with toad. What I would suggest is putting it on the dyno at No1 cycles--they seem to be able to get the last nth out of carb setups

F5 Dave
24th May 2004, 09:36
My SP has 36 thou on it & runs just fine. In fact throttle response is the main thing I like about the bike. For this reason I'd never swap to CVs. How about the TPS, still connected I trust? (wire to sensor on the side of the carb).

They do have a penchant for running pretty crappy when the plugs get old & plug life isn’t too long if you whap the throttle on with reckless abandon at low revs. Changing the plugs is a pain though, make sure you blow some air to clear out any stones in the plug holes before you take the plugs out.

Do check the float height & that the float jets are sealing ok. The needles & needle jets should be checked for wear (they can ovalise (takes careful examination to see) but all parts are replaceable being a racing carb.

Obviously depending on what pipe/filter combo you are running will determine the mainjet size you should run. Hard to really determine on the road due to the speeds involved so a dyno trip should sort this out.

What about the EXUP valve? Is it still operating or siezed?