PDA

View Full Version : Crashed rider in Christchurch - Anyone know anything? (10 November)

uNople
10th November 2008, 12:25
Hey all,

coming home for lunch down Brougham Street in chch, there was a crashed biker on the corner of Colombo and Brougham. It looked like someone impacted him, because he was lying there not doing much - lying on ground, people helping, putting stuff on his head. The helmet was on, so there must have been problems. Looks like it happened somewhere between 1 and 1:20.

His bike was a yellow... sports bike. Black helmet, looked to have leathers on.

Anyone heard anything?

Paulus
10th November 2008, 12:39
Weird, saw the same thing on Friday (7 Nov) on the way home (5:15pm ish). Yellow Hyosung GT250 lying on its side - rider not moving and lots of people milling round. This was south bound on Whiteleigh Ave just south of Tower Junction (where the 4 lanes becomes 2 at the railway crossing). Hopefully they are also okay.

sunhuntin
10th November 2008, 12:50
leaving the helmet on is one the top things in rider first aid. really only meant to be removed if it is restricting airflow or something, and then undoing the chin strap generally does the trick.

CookMySock
10th November 2008, 12:56
so sooo many bikers going down, and many of them not getting up. please be careful out there!

Steve

portokiwi
10th November 2008, 12:57
Just did the St johns one last week. They forgot to teach about helmets.

sunhuntin
10th November 2008, 13:22
the first aid courses ive done have never mentioned bikes either. i read it on here a while back. i *think* frosty may have posted it up?

Monamie
10th November 2008, 13:26
Lots of conflict on the Helmet removal or not.
I was taught the same as Sunhuntin-only remove it if it is restricting breathing so you can do CPR if it is necessary. Removal requires the help of several people...it's not easy.

Lets be careful out there....rubber side down guys.

Ducky848
10th November 2008, 13:27
I had a pretty good bang up at Levels about 8 years ago. It was a proper job highside and I couldnt get up..shit I couldnt move I was that fucked up.

The St John's guys got to me pretty quick bless 'em but the first thing they did was whip me helmet off. THEN they asked if anything hurt.....

sunhuntin
10th November 2008, 13:29
the reasons given for leaving it were in case of neck/back injuries. removing the helmet means moving the head and possibly doing more harm than good. plus, it would help keep them warm, which is also good.

portokiwi
10th November 2008, 13:42
lol. I use to teach first aid and use to push the keeping on of the helmet. but thats going back a few years.
Didnt even think of it I was having to do a full 2 day course. combat first aid is not reconised here. lol

XP@
10th November 2008, 13:53
Lots of conflict on the Helmet removal or not.
I was taught the same as Sunhuntin-only remove it if it is restricting breathing so you can do CPR if it is necessary. Removal requires the help of several people...it's not easy.

Lets be careful out there....rubber side down guys.

on the last 1st aid course I was on i played an injured rider... they tried to remove my helmet without undoing the strap or lifting the front (BMW system lid). I died :(

sunhuntin
10th November 2008, 14:21
how the heck are you meant to remove a helmet without undoing the strap?? unless its extremely ill fitting, in which case it wouldnt stay during an accident.

icekiwi
10th November 2008, 17:34
Just a thought..
How bout a decal on the helmet...
Like in case of emergency don't remove..

quickbuck
10th November 2008, 17:35
how the heck are you meant to remove a helmet without undoing the strap?? unless its extremely ill fitting, in which case it wouldnt stay during an accident.

Remember most first aiders don't actually ride bikes.... Would be an easy thing to forget in the heat of the moment.

I was always told to leave the patient to remove it him/ herself. If they can't due to pain then best leave it on.....
Just got to make sure they are thinking clearly before you let then remove it too...

Pedrostt500
10th November 2008, 17:53
Ive always understood if the rider cant remove the Helmet themselves then leave it on, I dont know if ACC still replace Helmets that have been in an accident, but they used to.

quickbuck
10th November 2008, 18:32
Ive always understood if the rider cant remove the Helmet themselves then leave it on, I dont know if ACC still replace Helmets that have been in an accident, but they used to.

Agree, unless their airway is blocked by the helmet.....

Yep, the days of ACC covering for your helmet went a long time ago.....
Okay, to be honest I haven't tried it of late... But was told I'd get squat back in 1999...

uNople
10th November 2008, 20:04
Agree, unless their airway is blocked by the helmet.....

Yep, the days of ACC covering for your helmet went a long time ago.....
Okay, to be honest I haven't tried it of late... But was told I'd get squat back in 1999...

Believe it or not, your contents insurance should cover your gear - that's what I was told by tower.

fireliv
10th November 2008, 21:21
SO does anyone know anymore about the rider??

quickbuck
10th November 2008, 21:53
Believe it or not, your contents insurance should cover your gear - that's what I was told by tower.

Cheers for that... It may very well do... So long as I wasn't using it for a motorsports event I guess ;)

quickbuck
10th November 2008, 21:54
SO does anyone know anymore about the rider??

Yes, sorry, we have drifted from the original topic........

Kittyhawk
10th November 2008, 22:08
Cheers for that... It may very well do... So long as I wasn't using it for a motorsports event I guess ;)

Yes it is covered

AS for the rider, hope he/she is ok....

Cynic
10th November 2008, 22:23
Weird, saw the same thing on Friday (7 Nov) on the way home (5:15pm ish). Yellow Hyosung GT250 lying on its side - rider not moving and lots of people milling round. This was south bound on Whiteleigh Ave just south of Tower Junction (where the 4 lanes becomes 2 at the railway crossing). Hopefully they are also okay.

I passed the aftermath of this one on foot. Looked like the rider got into the ambo under his own steam. Looked quite shaken up by the whole thing but in one piece....

XP@
11th November 2008, 07:46

They tried to pull it off, it hurt for real.

I Just got up and walked away and said "you see a bright light and a ghost lift out of the body"

sunhuntin
11th November 2008, 08:36
i would have done the same thing. thats one way to decapitate you the hard way, lol.

vifferman
11th November 2008, 08:42
The last crash I had, they left my helmet on until they'd checked I had no neck or back pain, then I helped take it off.
Apart from anything else, it's rather uncomfortable lying on the road. so the helmet provides some cushioning.
Heh... I remember the first bike I wrote off (t-boned a car, somersaulted over the roof). I was lying on the road, wearing an almost new helmet, hearing it graunching on the road as I groveled around. I thought, "Oh well - it'll be fucked from the crash anyway..."
Afterwards I discovered the only marks on it were very slight scratches/dings from lying on the road. I hadn't hit my head at all. (In fact, I've only ever one hit my helmet on the road when binning it...)

toycollector10
13th November 2008, 20:59
I read somewhere that 42 percent of serious damage in an accident occurs to the jaw/nose/cheek area.

What better reason to wear a full face helmet.

I see some guys wearing pudding basins on their heads and my first thought is that "You won't look so purdy to your GF with the bottom half of your face gone sonny". Well, he used to be a good kisser, for sure!

CookMySock
14th November 2008, 09:00
Well, he used to be a good kisser, for sure!LOL yeah hes just a sucker now..

DB

Paulus
15th November 2008, 15:36
And another one down today - corner of Centaurus Rd and Hollis Ave in lower Cashmere. Ambulance was already there (4pm ish) but it looked fairly serious. With that heat today the roads have become a sea of wet tar - be careful.