PDA

View Full Version : What to get! ARGH

Bulldog
10th November 2008, 13:30
Hey guys,

as you all probably know I've got the KTM 525sx Motarded. I've put everything you can think of on it but I find it a little uncomfortable and the fuel range even with the bigger EXC tank on it is about 140kms which is ok but not great.

So I'm looking at several options at the mo and would really value everyone's feedback.

KTM 690 SM (newish)
KTM 640 SM 05 /06
Husqy 610SM (Motomail one, I went and saw them last week and it's an ok deal it's simply been sitting there for freaking years).

I know I know...getting old and soft but these are the bikes on my wish list.

Finn
10th November 2008, 13:32
Are any of the "everything you can think of" parts you've got on your 525 interchangeable with the bigger KTM's you're looking at? If so, save yourself some bucks and go with the brand you like and are used to... Yes?

Bulldog
10th November 2008, 13:44
Don't know if they are but they wouldn't be needed as they were things like EXC wiring loom, electric start, stator, slipper clutch, all of which are already on the other models.

Don't get me wrong...I love KTM but given what's available I'm erring towards the Husqy. Just a bit nervous if it turns out to be a nightmare lemon.

kezzafish
10th November 2008, 14:21
i would have thought the 610 and 640 were more like your 525 (not a great fuel range and less comfort orientated?) in saying that my personal choice would be the 610 cos i think they look wicked and by looking at the mad frenchman video they go good too and have the flickable biffable light weightedness that we motarders love so much. Don't want to offend anyone but i think the 690 looks bad but is probably the most suited to your situ? unless the real reason your selling is because you want a change and wanna go faster!

SeppoDave
10th November 2008, 14:28
Lots of guys over at ThumperTalk happy with their Huskies

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=7483352

http://www.savefile.com/files/332161

Plus don't forget the mad Frenchmen video, with that bike you'll automatically be able to ride like them!

Dave

Aero165
10th November 2008, 15:00
I'm getting either a 625 or 610 over in Aussie when I move there in a few weeks. I will let you know what I think of them. I think I'll end up getting the 625. Parts are more readily available and I have a bit of a soft spot for KTM's

I'll probably only own it for a few months until there are a few second hand 690SMC's on the market. THAT is the bike I want:clap:

Bulldog
10th November 2008, 15:15
You're spot on there mate....the 690SMC is exactly what I want too but at 17k!!! ferk.

AlBundy
10th November 2008, 15:39
Well, looks are subjective.

Before I saw the SM in the flesh, I thought it was ugly as sin. The nose and twin-stacks have grown on me.
My profile pic has the single can from SC-Project, so you can see what a difference that makes...

The 640's also have five-speed boxes and according to a mate, who rode my DRZ, it feels kinda the same. He actually rode the 690SM, then the 640 and said he was disappointed with the 640 after the 690.

As for the Husky 610. It sounds like a good machine with the only thing to keep an eye on, being the cam chain and tensioner. The chain needs to be done every 10k km.
I was seriously considering that one but don't have much support locally, whereas we have a KTM shop here... That kind of dictated going that way. Plus, I got my SM for a very good price...

I think the SM610 is 142kg's compard to 139,5kg's of the 690SMC...
SM610 is carbed and 54hp vs FI and 66-ishhp for the SMC.
The 690SM is about 154kg's, according to the pamphlet...

Sorry for the rambling, lol...

All the 690 motors are close in power...

Southmotian
10th November 2008, 20:04
He actually rode the 690SM, then the 640 and said he was disappointed with the 640 after the 690.
I'd have to agree with that. I rode my mates 640 just after he'd bought it (hope he doesn't read this...) and was a bit underwhelmed. The handling felt pretty solid, maybe a little heavier than I expected. The motor just had no urgency though. A fairly strong surge of torque but no real response when you snapped the throttle wide open.

On the other hand I love my Husky, if the 610 is just a slightly softer version of mine I'm sure you'll like it. Will they let you ride before you buy?

Aero165
11th November 2008, 10:02
You're spot on there mate....the 690SMC is exactly what I want too but at 17k!!! ferk.

They are starting to come up for sale in Aussie:banana:

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/De...keID=2999301&TabID=3424

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to fork out the money for a new one but I just can't justify it:(:weep:

Motardman
11th November 2008, 11:49
I know I know...getting old and soft but these are the bikes on my wish list.

You missed out a Harley.....you old bugger :laugh:

AlBundy
11th November 2008, 12:06
The SMC is a really tall machine by all accounts...

I get the impression that, at 5'7, I'm probably a bit short to manoeuver one comfortably...

12l tank, so slightly shorter range. The tank is under the seat BTW, if you didn't know...

The SM610 in black/grey is dead sexy too though.....

Aero165
11th November 2008, 12:08

I get the impression that, at 5'7, I'm probably a bit short to manoeuver one comfortably...

12l tank, so slightly shorter range. The tank is under the seat BTW, if you didn't know...

I sat on the enduro model no sweats;) I've been hearing on SMJ that you can get 80 reliable horses out of this motor:whistle:

kezzafish
11th November 2008, 15:33

The SM610 in black/grey is dead sexy too though.....

fuck that thing is PHAT, i just spoofed. how many pingers again? $? $ ?

AlBundy
11th November 2008, 15:41
fuck that thing is PHAT, i just spoofed. how many pingers again? $? $ ?

BWAHAHAHAHA...

Which one?

SM610 is 10K at Motomail.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-186086649.htm

KTM SMC is 17K at Superior in Chch.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-157356268.htm

kezzafish
11th November 2008, 20:32
that 690SMC is beautiful and a KTM!
get it Bulldog

Bulldog
11th November 2008, 21:58
Mate if I had a spare 17k I would!! I'm probably only gonna get 9k for mine so i need to hold up a bank or something :P

Check it if you haven't already http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=186165586

best part is it had mammaryman's number plate on during those shots...shoulda done some craz(ier) shit while it was on!

kezzafish
12th November 2008, 00:23
OK, i've finally got round to looking at all the bikes on the links provided (Trade Me is blocked at my work which is where i normally post from) that is big dollars (SMC) but it is more attractive than the husky with performance to boot i'm sure. but the husky has gotta be the better value for money. I have heaps of fun on my standard DRZ (34 hp?) so 54 hp from the husky is gonna be a whole different kettle o jizz. i recon your dreaming if you wanna get cruising comfort out of any of them. AL? is yours much more comfy than the DRZ? why are ya selling again Bulldog? your bike is coooool. you just gotta have somethin new aye?

Did some more looking, the 05 640 looks cool too but i couldn't find any for sale in NZ. could you? found some spec sheet that said they'd improved the seat comfort over the previous model. what's the claimed power?

Bulldog
12th November 2008, 11:03
Yep I'm sure none of them are going to be full on comfort cruisers as afterall they're essentially offroad bikes. 640 and husky are pretty much the same spec and weight so comparible. Remember that the DRZ is approx 125kilos and the husky is 142km odd....that's another 20. DRZ is 40hp? husky is 54 odd. so I rekon they'd be similar except for the husky having greater torque from the bigger banger.

AlBundy
12th November 2008, 12:43
Yep I'm sure none of them are going to be full on comfort cruisers as afterall they're essentially offroad bikes. 640 and husky are pretty much the same spec and weight so comparible. Remember that the DRZ is approx 125kilos and the husky is 142km odd....that's another 20. DRZ is 40hp? husky is 54 odd. so I rekon they'd be similar except for the husky having greater torque from the bigger banger.

I think you'll find the DRZ is 135kg's?

295.4lbs... http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/suzuki-drz-400-sm-review

134kg's... http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/DRZ400SMK8/Specs/Default.aspx

So, that said, the difference with the SM610 isn't so far off... Only around 7kg's...

Devil
12th November 2008, 12:51
. i recon your dreaming if you wanna get cruising comfort out of any of them. AL? is yours much more comfy than the DRZ?

The 690sm has a plenty decent seat compared to the others. Still fairly hard, but wont stop me from doing distance on it.

AlBundy
12th November 2008, 12:54
The 690sm has a plenty decent seat compared to the others. Still fairly hard, but wont stop me from doing distance on it.

+1. I did 450k's the day I bought mine... Then still rode it around a bit to show mates when I got home...

Devil
12th November 2008, 12:57
Yer, it was a prerequisite when I bought it.
Went and got me some bike pants with the padding in the arse. $85. Havent tried them yet, but should help for the long days!

Ventura pack rack for it is well designed, had mine for a few weeks now. Great lever for wheelies ;)

Just got back from Rarotonga, gotta clear some room on the credit card before I can think about that exhaust! particular since I just bought a new rear stand + bobbins.

AlBundy
12th November 2008, 14:12
Sounds good.

kezzafish
12th November 2008, 20:26
I think you'll find the DRZ is 135kg's?

295.4lbs... http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/suzuki-drz-400-sm-review

134kg's... http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/DRZ400SMK8/Specs/Default.aspx

So, that said, the difference with the SM610 isn't so far off... Only around 7kg's...

and i,ve seenon thumper talk that it's 34hp. I would definately say it is a slug. I've owned a DRZ400E (dirt version) and it went far better than my SM. But as i said, i still have a shitload of fun. just can't do wheelies like the E could. or like my 450 does. or like any thumper normally does. The SM doesn't even thump! it pbbbbrrrrs

AlBundy
15th November 2008, 12:54
Husky link on Thumpertalk... http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79

SMJ... http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

AlBundy
16th November 2008, 00:08
You seen this link at all?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156431

Mikkel
18th November 2008, 16:58
and i,ve seenon thumper talk that it's 34hp. I would definately say it is a slug. I've owned a DRZ400E (dirt version) and it went far better than my SM. But as i said, i still have a shitload of fun. just can't do wheelies like the E could. or like my 450 does. or like any thumper normally does. The SM doesn't even thump! it pbbbbrrrrs

My 610sm puts out 53 hps at the rearwheel with an aftermarket (*cough*race*cough*) pipe and a JD jetting kit. I think the dealer picked the pipe up for $300 because it had a dent in it... :D I mean, who fucking cares, it's a motard it doesn't matter what it looks like.

If it matters...

The Lone Rider
18th November 2008, 19:03
I mean, who fucking cares, it's a motard it doesn't matter what it looks like.

If it matters...

I was gonna say mike.. your bike looks fuckin awesome though!

Even saw you hooning back from Nelson.. looks brilliant going by (was in the Cave Cafe with the guys when you went past)

FlangMasterJ
18th November 2008, 19:55
Damn I am sooooo keen on a 690SMC. I just have to get my bloody full license.

Anyone know how reliable the Husky 610's are. Obviously not as reliable as the LC4's.

Mikkel
19th November 2008, 13:07
I was gonna say mike.. your bike looks fuckin awesome though!

But that's just because I don't wash it, don't care if I scratch it a bit - or melt parts of my front mudguard by leaning it against Helenoftroy's exhaust... It's meant to be a bit rough.

Even saw you hooning back from Nelson.. looks brilliant going by (was in the Cave Cafe with the guys when you went past)

The Cave Cafe? I can assure you I didn't feel brilliant at that time - bad bad hangovers and I just wanted to get home. Couldn't have been hooning, I sat at +10 km/h to the speed limit 90% of the way and didn't do any monkey business either.
It is a bit loud though :D

AlBundy
21st November 2008, 20:56
Well Bulldog?

Where are you at? Did you have a good look at the 610?

Bulldog
22nd November 2008, 07:24
indeed I did...I think I'm going to get it.....KTM has gone to Scorry, he's gonna love it! I'll go in and see them this weekend see what's on off.

AlBundy
22nd November 2008, 13:11
Sweet! For both of you...

Hopefully the plastics aren't that expensive, so you can make it black without too much fuss...

live2ride
25th April 2009, 17:01
I had the same decision to make and brought a ktm 690smc - great bike 12 litre tank, fuel inj, big brakes, 2 year warrenty. Have done 350kms in one day and bum ok. I motard it competively, and will get some trail rims for adventure riding. Good spread of power was helped when I put the akrapovic muffler on.

denefoster
4th June 2009, 17:59
I had the same decision to make and brought a ktm 690smc - great bike 12 litre tank, fuel inj, big brakes, 2 year warrenty. Have done 350kms in one day and bum ok. I motard it competively, and will get some trail rims for adventure riding. Good spread of power was helped when I put the akrapovic muffler on.

I was trying to decide on a new bike as well, and it was down to a SXV550, or Husky SM450.. unfortunately I couldn't find either of them locally.. so next choices were a KTM 690 or the Husky SM610 and I now have an 09 SM610 on a boat on its way to me. A bit heavier than I'd like but I hear they go like stink anyways. Now I just have to wait three weeks =\

Hopefully I didn't make the wrong choice !

Mikkel
12th June 2009, 13:10
I understand that the 610sm benefits quite a bit from getting an aftermarket muffler and a good rejetting. :yes: But since that had already been done to mine when I got it I can't provide any comparison. I get about 53 hps at the wheel on my 2006.