PDA

View Full Version : Indicator bulb wattage

Morcs
14th November 2008, 13:52
Ive had 3 out of 4 indicator bulbs blow in the last week. Last night it was both left ones. They are aftermarket indicators using 12V 23W bulbs. they are expensive, and hard to find.

There are no faults in my system from what I can find. what is the likely cause?

Im thinking of changing all bulbs to 12V 5W as they are cheaper and easier to get hold of, are they more or less likely to blow?

cheers :)

bungbung
14th November 2008, 14:16
If they're blowing, it is likely to be over voltage.
Standard indicators are normally 21W. Wattage won't make any difference to how long the bulb lasts though.

Check your voltage regulator.

Morcs
14th November 2008, 14:38
If they're blowing, it is likely to be over voltage.
Standard indicators are normally 21W. Wattage won't make any difference to how long the bulb lasts though.

Check your voltage regulator.

How do I check the regulator? cheers :)

bungbung
14th November 2008, 14:45
Get a voltmeter across your battery terminals, measure with engine off.
You'd expect to see 12V or so. Start bike, measure again while idling, perhaps 13 or 14V. If you can switch your headlight off, leave it off and measure the battery voltage at average rpm. You shouldn't see more than 14V at the battery, if there is more (say 15) this will be dramatically shortening the life of your bulbs.

Could be worthwhile checking out your battery too. Get your battery load tested, a toasted battery can affect the voltage regulation.

vifferman
14th November 2008, 14:52
Mebbe the bulb's filaments are just rattling apart from all the stunting....;)

BTW - 5W bulbs are unlkely to be road legal, as they're too dim.

johan
14th November 2008, 14:52
step by step:

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/fault-finding-guide.php

Badjelly
14th November 2008, 14:53

However it will make a difference to the brightness and the flashing speed. 5W bulbs will be very dim and may not pull enough current through the controller to trigger the flashing. Not worth trying IMHO.

imdying
14th November 2008, 15:03
Make sure your earths a clean.

klyong82
17th November 2008, 12:58
Is your 600 an 03 model? I heard there were electrical gremlins with the 03 models and were rectified with the 04 model.