PDA

View Full Version : Links for cheap Harleys out of USA or Japan?

KX500
15th November 2008, 08:43
Anyone know of some auction, repossession sites that are any good please ?

Had a look round the net but have not cracked where the likes of the guys on trademe are sourcing the late model Harleys - 2007 Dyna 1584 for $15000 trade me final auction price.

Prefer new purchase but if could get 2006 2007 for half the price could justify the risk factor.

Any known cons with importing bikes would also be good to hear.

Cheerz

:woohoo:

scumdog
15th November 2008, 08:45
With the Yen, Greenback vs Kiwi peso thing going the way it is you'ld be lucky to score a cheap bike these days, good luck.

Bonez
15th November 2008, 08:46
Anyone know of some auction, repossession sites that are any good please ?

Had a look round the net but have not cracked where the likes of the guys on trademe are sourcing the late model Harleys - 2007 Dyna 1584 for $15000 trade me final auction price.

Prefer new purchase but if could get 2006 2007 for half the price could justify the risk factor.

Any known cons with importing bikes would also be good to hear.

Cheerz

:woohoo:PM Finn. He should have all the hot gen you need.

KX500
15th November 2008, 08:54
Yeah true true, cheerz dudes. Same will apply to the Big Block Camaro want too lollloll
Oh well maybe I can get ready for when Mr Key turns the economy around :Punk:

I'll PM "The Finn"

Forest
15th November 2008, 11:20
The cheap bikes you see on trademe were purchased before the NZ currency tanked.

Your best bet is to find an importer whose is struggling to clear stock (and some of them are) and get a deal on a bike that's already been imported.

KX500
15th November 2008, 11:33
Cheerz for the idea Forest.

Maybe the japanese yen be a better bet ?

With supply and demand here in NZ think the importers still be able to get resonable money for them ? Do you know of any over supplied importers please ?

Pretty sure would hold true with rice burner sport bikes, but shortage here of HOG's here which can be seen with the high sale prices on trade me.

Bonez
15th November 2008, 11:36
Cheerz for the idea Forest.

Maybe the japanese yen be a better bet ?

With supply and demand here in NZ think the importers still be able to get resonable money for them ? Do you know of any over supplied importers please ?

Pretty sure would hold true with rice burner sport bikes, but shortage here of HOG's here which can be seen with the high sale prices on trade me.What made you think there's a shortage? They're everywhere. There's more Harley Davidsons per capita in NZ than any other country.

KX500
15th November 2008, 11:38
If there was that much of an over supply would you not see a reduction in prices ?

Bonez
15th November 2008, 11:43
If there was that much of an over supply would you not see a reduction in prices ?Compare todays prices with 3-5 years ago. They've gone down a fare bit.

KX500
15th November 2008, 11:50
"Hear what ya saying Bonez"

Yes around 500 listing on Trademe and slowly climbing.

I'm miffed why second hand sale prices are so close to new prices and high listing prices, how does it all work ? Do Harley owners have a secret Kartel going like the cray fishermen in Kiakoura. "No one is to list their 10 year old Harley for less than $15000 lollllol"

Forest
15th November 2008, 11:52
If there was that much of an over supply would you not see a reduction in prices ?

Yes - and that is exactly what has happened.

The importers are concentrating on expensive & desirable models that were never sold here in large numbers e.g. HD, Ducati etc

Consequently the prices have fallen a great deal over the last 2-3 years. for an example, check out the trademe prices for used HD V-rods (which are a commonly imported model).

Bonez
15th November 2008, 11:54
"Hear what ya saying Bonez"

Yes around 500 listing on Trademe and slowly climbing.

I'm miffed why second hand sale prices are so close to new prices and high listing prices, how does it all work ? Do Harley owners have a secret Kartel going like the cray fishermen in Kiakoura. "No one is to list their 10 year old Harley for less than $15000 lollllol"They'll either hang on to them or wake up and smell the coffee at some point.

Comes down market forces really.

scumdog
15th November 2008, 11:55
What made you think there's a shortage? They're everywhere. There's more Harley Davidsons per capita in NZ than any other country.

True - and THE biggest H-D per capita place is......the Chatham Islands!!:eek:

Well it was last I heard.

KX500
15th November 2008, 11:58
Cheerz

Might have to wait another 3 years and let prices come to me :msn-wink:

Ta guys for putting me "In the picture"

"Have a cracker all"

Bonez
15th November 2008, 12:16
Cheerz

Might have to wait another 3 years and let prices come to me :msn-wink:

Ta guys for putting me "In the picture"

"Have a cracker all"If an HD is what you desire go for it. Try not to wait too long though. The thing is to be able to wave that folding stuff in the sellers face. Bargains to be had right now.

KX500
15th November 2008, 13:11
Cheers again Bonez

Yeah money talks, something got to give, one guy ive seen in invercargill been listing same bikes for months, might look into sending him a bottle of nasal spray to help him "Smell the coffee" :) :rockon:

scumdog
15th November 2008, 13:17
Cheers again Bonez

Yeah money talks, something got to give, one guy ive seen in invercargill been listing same bikes for months, might look into sending him a bottle of nasal spray to help him "Smell the coffee" :) :rockon:

Some are like that.
There's a guy on T/M listing a '65 Thunderbird - it's been there at least three years.:shit:

And some of those 'dream-on' prices lead the less knowing to think their particular item is worth way more than it really is.:confused:

Bonez
15th November 2008, 13:29
Some are like that.
There's a guy on T/M listing a '65 Thunderbird - it's been there at least three years.:shit:

And some of those 'dream-on' prices lead the less knowing to think their particular item is worth way more than it really is.:confused:That reminds me of a chap with a ratty ol CB500/4 in Whanganui that pops up every now and then.

Forest
15th November 2008, 14:12
Some are like that.

And some of those 'dream-on' prices lead the less knowing to think their particular item is worth way more than it really is.:confused:

There's a pair of Manx Nortons on trademe at the moment.

The reserve price for both bikes has been set higher than the sale price for the John Hamplemen & Hugh Anderson bike which was sold earlier this year (and which has the best racing pedigree for any known Manx in NZ).

gunrunner
15th November 2008, 14:36

Having imported my bike from japan was simple , but i did this before the dollar-yen started to slide . So know you dont get much of a bargin anymore:gob: