PDA

View Full Version : Bee in my bonnet

imne1
15th November 2008, 11:24
Yesterday I was riding from Welly to Napier, just after heading out of Paihiatua I ran through some bees and one of them managed to get into my helmet, buzzing around on the visor and crawling on the chin bar. Well I tell you I got to find out just how quick my bike can stop in a straight line from 100ish k, I've never been so glad to have a flip front helmet. I managed to pull over and stop complete with stalling and ripped off the gloves and helmet, although by then the bee it seems was gone. Paranoid for the rest of the trip that it might happen again, I adopted a much more 'hiding behind the screen' riding position. :niceone:

anyone else had unexpected hitchhikers?

spookytooth
15th November 2008, 11:40
yep and having a wasp crawling inside my visor a inch from my eyes made me stop in a hurry

Unit
15th November 2008, 11:43
A rather large bird decided to insert itself in my front fairing of the John Player Norton I had back in the day, gave a real good headshake

Pedrostt500
15th November 2008, 12:39
Was riding home the other night just on dark at a reasonable speed officer, had the visor up on the helmet, and had a moth score a direct hit in my left eye ball, made my eyes water I can tell you.

swbarnett
15th November 2008, 14:44
I had a bee lodge between my cheek and helmet. Unfortunately their rear end was on my cheek and penetrating. I had a pretty saw cheek for the next half an hour (the helmet pressing on it didn't help!).

Oakie
15th November 2008, 15:02
Mrs Oakie and I nearly had a simultaneous bee-strike on Thursday. Cruising just out of Blenheim when we went past some hives at the side of the road that the apiarist was just attending to. Of course the bees were all over the place. We both had our visors up at the time and both had a bee bounce off our faces before manageing to get the visors down. Quick stop 50 metres down the road and lids off for an inspection before we proceeded on our merry way.

Oh yeah, I too have had a direct hit in the eye by a moth. Does make the eyes water somewhat!

Fatt Max
15th November 2008, 16:13
F**k yeah,

Dont mind admitting that my phobia is bees and wasps, absolutely 'Brown Pants' scared of 'em.

One got in my lid one morning on the way to work. I was on my faithful Jog CV50 doing....ooh.....all of 35Km's (weight issue you see) when fecking buzzy the bee appears in front of me going flat knacker mental cos he is stuck in a confined space with a fat bastard who has the breath to prove that a chicken vindaloo and 12 lagers stinks like buggery the next morning...

Yes, and I got such a fright that the botty muscles relaxed somewhat and I popped a nugget there and then right out of my rusty sherrifs badge on Chapel Road...!

So, now I have a bee in my lid and a poop in my pants on a busy road at 8.30am in the morning. I manage to pop my visor up but not before the black n yellow bastard had stuck his arse spear in my cheek. I was screaming like a demented chimp and had to pull into some unsuspecting dudes driveway and check myself over.

Now, imagine this porr mans surpirse when he opens his back door to see a fat bastard with his scooter on it's side (engine still running, luv them 2 strikes), pants round his ankles and roaring at the top of his voice the words "Fuffin hell, my fuffin mowf, my fuffin mowf....."

He duly told me to fuff off out of his driveway before he called the cops. I rode the last 5 ks to work with a nasty smelling Richard The Third still clinging to the rainforest that is my arse hair and my face looking like I was chewing a space hopper.

Got to work, dumped the 'Crusty Demons' in the nearest bin and went commando for the rest of the day. If I ever see that winged bastard again I'll.......

Thats my bee story...I hate them..!

wbks
15th November 2008, 16:23
I got a wasp on my face stinging me right as I was pulling up to a turnoff. I got distracted by it and was a little hasty on the brakes so heres how it went: 1)Backwheel working its way side to side like a gp racer in the wet. 2)just about clipping a big ass GMC ute that was on the turnoff. 3) Big GMC guy yelling "wholy fark!" so loud I could hear it over my bike at 12rpm. 4) me stopping right after ripping my helmet off i see this guy looking back at my wondering wtf i was doing...Had to be there moment

vifferman
15th November 2008, 17:01
I used to always ride with sunnies on and my visor opened, as I like the fresh air. One morning about 1 minute from home a bee hit my nose. Panic City! Unlike imne1, I didn't have a flipfront helmet, so it was screech to a stop (luckily I wasn't on the motorway!), stop bike, gloves off, helmet undone, helmet off, dislodge bee.
Luckily, it stung me on the tip of my nose, where the skin is thin and there's cartilage underneath, so its stinger didn't penetrate very far. Either that, or it was stunned by colllision with my conk, and carked it before retaliating effectively. Either way, it wasn't too bad. I've had worse - like a bee stinging my hand when I wasn't wearing gloves, or a wasp stinging me repeatedly in the back of the neck when I was working on the farm - that was like being hit in the back of the neck with a 4 by 2!
The most annoying insect invasion though was early one morning near Kaiaua, when Zed and I were on our way to visit Blackbird at his Coromandel mansion. I had the visor open a crack, as it was a bit misty, and a midge and his mate came visiting. I thought, "No probs!", and opened the visor wide to blow them out, just as I flew through a cloud of his cousins.:eek5:
Ended up with a few in my eyes etc., but eventually they blew out.

Years ago, I was driving near Inglewood and a swarm of bees (thousands of them!) flew across the road, completely obliterating themselves on the windscreen. It was a hell of a job trying to get the screen clean with the wipers and washers. I'd hate to encounter that on a bike!

Duke girl
15th November 2008, 17:11
I got stung by a bee on my arm while riding as it was a stinken hot day 38 degrees and I decided to unzip my jacket at the sleeves to allow a little air in. Big mistake that was as a bloody bee decided to fly in and bite the crap out of me. I have never stopped a bike so quick in all my life and jumped off as fast as i did ripping my jacket off me trying to get the dam thing out. After doing so within 2 mins my arm had sweeld up and gone red. The pain was unbearable and my arm felt like it was on fire. I manged to walk into the closest house of where it happen and the kind people there ended up taking me to the local hospital were i was treated for the bee sting and had to spend the next few hours in their where they kept an eye on me incase I had a n elergic reaction the the medication they were giving me. I can truely say that was the last time I have ever ridden with my jacket unzipped, as that is 1 experience I never what to go thru ever again. Bee stings are dam nasty.

Okey Dokey
15th November 2008, 17:48
Yes, another story of a close encounter of the bee kind. I had one strike my neck while riding in Marlborough. I was surprised at how much the impact of a small insect hurt!

I was more surprised when I got home about 20 minutes later to see that the stinger was stuck in my neck!! No wonder it hurt. I guess I can't blame the bee for stinging when I hit him at over 100k, but damn he must have been quick to get it in my neck before he died.

Just as well I'm not allergic to their venom as some folks are.

rottiguy
15th November 2008, 17:58
Got a wasp stuck under my chin strap one day, little bistard stung me a few times before I could stop and give it the what for, I was on the way to an out of the way place so got a bit worried about my neck swelling up to elephant man proportions but all seemed ok in the end. I usually ride with my visor only open and inch or so these days, unless I'm going 50ish, me no like the owies :blink:

Trumpess
15th November 2008, 18:11
F**k yeah,

Dont mind admitting that my phobia is bees and wasps, absolutely 'Brown Pants' scared of 'em.

One got in my lid one morning on the way to work. I was on my faithful Jog CV50 doing....ooh.....all of 35Km's (weight issue you see) when fecking buzzy the bee appears in front of me going flat knacker mental cos he is stuck in a confined space with a fat bastard who has the breath to prove that a chicken vindaloo and 12 lagers stinks like buggery the next morning...

Yes, and I got such a fright that the botty muscles relaxed somewhat and I popped a nugget there and then right out of my rusty sherrifs badge on Chapel Road...!

So, now I have a bee in my lid and a poop in my pants on a busy road at 8.30am in the morning. I manage to pop my visor up but not before the black n yellow bastard had stuck his arse spear in my cheek. I was screaming like a demented chimp and had to pull into some unsuspecting dudes driveway and check myself over.

Now, imagine this porr mans surpirse when he opens his back door to see a fat bastard with his scooter on it's side (engine still running, luv them 2 strikes), pants round his ankles and roaring at the top of his voice the words "Fuffin hell, my fuffin mowf, my fuffin mowf....."

He duly told me to fuff off out of his driveway before he called the cops. I rode the last 5 ks to work with a nasty smelling Richard The Third still clinging to the rainforest that is my arse hair and my face looking like I was chewing a space hopper.

Got to work, dumped the 'Crusty Demons' in the nearest bin and went commando for the rest of the day. If I ever see that winged bastard again I'll.......

Holy crap!! .... Toooo funny :lol:
Though it most definately wouldnt have been at the time!
You are such a brave soul!
:done:

imne1
16th November 2008, 00:16
fun stuff huh :-D . Looks like the bike took several direct bee hits too, pollen/wax streaks all over, bastard of a thing to wash off but dishwash & hotwater worked eventually.

fireball
16th November 2008, 01:15
a couple of nights ago heading home from work just on dusk and had the tinted visor on so was trying to get home before impending doom of darkness on country roads, had my visor open a crack (i too like frsh air) was riding along minding my own, when i got nailed by a swarm of bugs, lucky for me i was on a straight bit of road as my left eye was full of bug mash, as some of you know i only have one eye so emergency breaking while blinded by a wartery eye in almost dark while swearing and wondering if the road was going to end in a ditch, was a whole lot of fun :niceone:
thats the last time i ride at dusk :lol:

Gubb
16th November 2008, 01:22
I see your bee, and raise you a pigeon. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=84904)

gijoe1313
16th November 2008, 19:15
Crikey this is a hive of posts that are starting to bee-come scary! My one is those dang big bumblebees, was doing the coro one fine day and coming over the brow of a hill and *phwack* great big sludge in the middle of the visor ... slow down and over the brow and down into a turn and still thinking ...

Crikey, bugger, feck ... squinching up the eyes trying to look past the gobbed up bits (I read from other posts ... "Don't feck'n wipe it whatever you do!")

Just as the heart rate is coming down, another turn to make and slowing the bike down ... *phwack* ... it's kamikaze cousin impacted on the only clear bit left! :gob:

Fortunately, bled off the speed, lifted the visor, find a nice spot to pull over doing all of a CT110 mail speed drop off (I was bracing for the 3rd *phwack* to come). Damn those bumblebees can half give you a scare! :sick: Sounds like someone bouncing a duck off the back of the helmet! :innocent:

Kamikaze Bumblebees ... best to avoid if in attack formation ...

Headbanger
16th November 2008, 19:29
Me old mate was crankin the Shovel through the Waikato when he had a wasp wedge itself into his open face helmet and sting him, By the time he had pulled her down from a great rate of knots the alergic reation had set in and he blacked out, resulting in a low speed crash.

A couple of cars stopped, as so often seems to the case in these stories one of the first cars to stop had a nurse onboard.( I have another mate who had a car pull in front of him on the open road, the driver hapopend to be a nurse and she saved his life) anyway, she put two and two together, found his adrenaline kit, Pumped it into him and saved his life.

I myself was hit in the chest by what I think was a sparrow, I saw it coming from a long way off, By the time it struck me I was convinced it waould rip through me and explode out my back. Instead it merely bounced off, not even a bruise.

mattsdakar
16th November 2008, 20:50
In another life I was a Motorcycle courier in London
One day I was happily flying up Camden High Street with my visor open when got hit in the face by a pigeon which lodged itself across my face unable to get away. I was completely blinded and doing about 60kmph in a busy street with lots of pedestrians. Real soil the undies experience, quickly took my hand off the gas and ripped the bird away by the wing!

scumdog
16th November 2008, 21:03
yep and having a wasp crawling inside my visor a inch from my eyes made me stop in a hurry

The disadvantage of fingerless gloves is there is no cuff to stop bees rocketing up your jacket sleeve.

So apart from being stung a few times I've ridden for about 10km with a bee up my sleeve that slowly worked its way up my arm to my shoulder area....(most awkward as it was my right arm) waiting...waiting..

I eventually stopped, punched the hell out of my right shoulder area and shook out a stunned bee.

jrandom
17th November 2008, 07:04
I've been stung on the neck twice, once when pootling along Tauhara Rd in Taupo minding my own business (bee, I think, hurt like a motherfucker), and once in a downhill series of 35kph corners on SH22 (wasp - hurts a lot less).

Both times I wasn't sure what had happened, first thought was that I'd caught a road chip in the neck from a vehicle ahead, but after a few seconds as the pain grows you realise that, no, that wasn't the case.

The little bastards hit hard and fast, don't they?

The one on SH22, I started doing a mad slappy-dance on the bike trying to kill whatever had landed in my collar. Stopped a way down the road and checked, couldn't find anything, then a couple hours later when we'd finished the ride someone pointed out the dead wasp stuck in my chest hair.

:laugh:

Big Dave
17th November 2008, 07:14
Awwww - de poor little KBers is scared of de bees. How cute. :-P

nodrog
17th November 2008, 07:16
you guys are all n00bs!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=67271

ynot slow
17th November 2008, 12:41
A wasp down the back of jacket 20yrs ago,stung between shoulder blade.

Big Dave
17th November 2008, 13:17
Removing the stings is also a real valid reason to carry a leatherman or similar sharp implement on your belt.

gijoe1313
17th November 2008, 13:23
Removing the stings is also a real valid reason to carry a leatherman or similar sharp implement on your belt.

You sure it ain't s'ya can say "that ain't a knife mate..." :msn-wink:

Fatt Max
17th November 2008, 20:02
In another life I was a Motorcycle courier in London
One day I was happily flying up Camden High Street with my visor open when got hit in the face by a pigeon which lodged itself across my face unable to get away. I was completely blinded and doing about 60kmph in a busy street with lots of pedestrians. Real soil the undies experience, quickly took my hand off the gas and ripped the bird away by the wing!

Fack, how long ago was that mate.

I used o knock around Camden many years ago and am sure I saw a Pigeon on a motorbike once....maybe that was you

Fecking great story mate.....

Hitcher
17th November 2008, 20:45
I've had bees caught in my helmet between the foam padding and my ear. Despite wearing earplugs, I've still thought they were going to crawl into my head.

My only sting was on my cheekbone while riding into the Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. Ouch.

1 Free Man
17th November 2008, 20:47
F**k yeah,

You have a wonderful grasp of the english language my man. very descriptive.
LOL