PDA

View Full Version : Rode Harley at last

cheshirecat
18th November 2008, 20:32
Many thanks to Welly Motorcycles for the Harley test ride on the Saturday.
First time ridden one and chose the classic. Didn't vibrate half as much as expected. Took the oppurtunity to wave at non Harley riders, which I think gave them quite a surprise.

Aside from having to take a short walk up to the front of the bike to shift gear, not a bad machine really - liked the indicator system.

Devil
21st November 2008, 12:47
The Softail classic?
The Road King Classic?
The Electra Glide Classic?

Which one?

CookMySock
21st November 2008, 12:53
First time ridden one and chose the classic. [...] Took the oppurtunity to wave at non Harley riders, which I think gave them quite a surprise. Full heil hitler was it? Did you get past the hells angels HQ and pop a few blasts off with your shortened shottie? Swing your chain at a few mobsters? :hug:

Pretty clear that was a pisstake, but just in case. "p/t"

Actually I know what you are saying - I have never rid one, so I wouldn't mind one day.

Steve

Horse
21st November 2008, 12:57
Aside from having to take a short walk up to the front of the bike to shift gear, not a bad machine really - liked the indicator system.

Yeah, the indicators were really a revelation on mine when I got it 2 months ago. It's really a nice system, as you do get used to the auto-cancel function after a while.

cheshirecat
21st November 2008, 19:31
The Softail classic?
The Road King Classic?

Which one?

Could be the Ultra Classic.

Kiwi Graham
21st November 2008, 19:41
The Softail classic?
The Road King Classic?

Which one?

As long as it was a soft tail dude :niceone:

cheshirecat
21st November 2008, 19:53
As long as it was a soft tail dude :niceone:

I'll stick to my vfrer but my friend tried the sportster and is seriously thinking of that or the nightster because of the styling. She's medium ht so can touch the ground on both. Thoughts folks, especially maintenance costs?

JimO
21st November 2008, 20:05
Yeah, the indicators were really a revelation on mine when I got it 2 months ago. It's really a nice system, as you do get used to the auto-cancel function after a while.

my 1979 kawasaki Z1R 1000 had self canceling indicators

cheshirecat
22nd November 2008, 09:30
Now there's a classic

JimO
23rd November 2008, 18:38
Now there's a classic

this isnt mine but mine was the same..........http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/jim157/bikepics-198199-320.jpg

scumdog
23rd November 2008, 18:49

So how come they never continued with them - and why did all the other Jappas that are meant to be so leading edge not have them?

In fact even now I'm sure there's a shitlaod of all brands that still require one to notice a blinking little light near the speedo and then fumble around to cancel the indimicators.

Headbanger
23rd November 2008, 20:23
You tell em Scumdog,

Those Jap bikes might be cheaper, faster, handle better, more comfortable, stop better, and represent far better value for money, But WE HAVE BLINKERS,SELF CANCELING BLINKERS.........as do they.

PS-My self-canceling blinkers no longer self-cancel, Though at least my bike weighs the same as a small elephant and glares like a roll of tinfoil when the sun catches it.

Take that ricers.:done:

Bonez
29th November 2008, 17:28
You tell em Scumdog,

Those Jap bikes might be cheaper, faster, handle better, more comfortable, stop better, and represent far better value for money, But WE HAVE BLINKERS,SELF CANCELING BLINKERS.........as do they.

PS-My self-canceling blinkers no longer self-cancel, Though at least my bike weighs the same as a small elephant and glares like a roll of tinfoil when the sun catches it.

Take that ricers.:done:My '76 550 has a indicator buzzer, so there.:oi-grr:

Needless to say it's removed.

doc
29th November 2008, 17:53
So how come they never continued with them - and why did all the other Jappas that are meant to be so leading edge not have them?

In fact even now I'm sure there's a shitlaod of all brands that still require one to notice a blinking little light near the speedo and then fumble around to cancel the indimicators.

:shit: Wait till they notice the sidestand lock. :mellow:

scumdog
30th November 2008, 16:25
:shit: Wait till they notice the sidestand lock. :mellow:

AND the wide 'no-sink-into-the-ground' foot on said side-stand......;)

PuppetMaster
1st December 2008, 13:55
My group ride on saturday....

I was riding down the Hutt Motorway, the missus was on the back, so Im just crusing along, didnt even lane split when at lights. it was a really nice day so no hurry.
Suddenly in my mirrors i see a couple of lights appear, then hear this rumble. Next minute 10+ Harleys and a couple of Trumpys are apon me, and duely fly pass (well, as fast as a flying couch can go) without any issue. I speed up a bit to keep up, but I was doing 120 and they started to pull away. Just seconds later someone on a GSX750R comes flyin past me and zigzags thru a couple of the group and zooms past the lot of them and off he goes into the distance. made me laugh, no respect. But I suddenly had this desire to be riding a Harley, shame the missus doesnt take much heed of my desires!!

Crasherfromwayback
1st December 2008, 14:21
this isnt mine but mine was the same..........http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/jim157/bikepics-198199-320.jpg

Don't reckon they look as good with the big tank though!

slimjim
1st December 2008, 15:56
why ..cause when a harley rider saw a light flashing ..they'ld pull over and think something is broke...so they added self cancelling signal units to the bikes..:rofl::rofl:

however its still as funny to see just how far riders travel before they realise that the flasher is still signalling....:yes:

scumdog
1st December 2008, 16:19
'you suit a harley.WANNABE TOUGH GUY.girls blouse more like it.'

After the above comment from somebody on KB I might just sell mine and get the same sort as they have 'cos it MUST make me almost as tough as them.<_<

Badjelly
1st December 2008, 16:21
The Softail classic?
The Road King Classic?

Which one?

You mean there are different types?

Rob Taylor
1st December 2008, 18:42
hmmmmm here we go again:girlfight:

Rob Taylor
1st December 2008, 18:49
I'll stick to my vfrer but my friend tried the sportster and is seriously thinking of that or the nightster because of the styling. She's medium ht so can touch the ground on both. Thoughts folks, especially maintenance costs?

Maintanance is bugger all.Oil & filter,Aircleaner,tyre pressure.Thats it.They have hydraulic lifters,Belt drive so nothing else to be done.... Nightster is very low so BIG ground clearance issues,Better off with a sportster classic,,,, Give Kerry Jeffs a call at KTL motorcycles (021765912) in Dorkland,he will sort her out....Bloody honest guy:2thumbsup

tri boy
1st December 2008, 18:56
kanny rode a Charlie Harrison last week, and really liked it.:Punk:
But is now pestering me to let her ride the Triumph/s.
Damn you HD, you let the missus feel the rumble, and now I don't think I can ever thrill her again:cry:

slimjim
1st December 2008, 19:44
'you suit a harley.WANNABE TOUGH GUY.girls blouse more like it.'

After the above comment from somebody on KB I might just sell mine and get the same sort as they have 'cos it MUST make me almost as tough as them.<_<

who's boot you pissing on....

munterk6
1st December 2008, 20:57
Hmmmm...funny how its all about blinkers and not about how they actually are to ride lol! You lot are so easily distracted....:(
...or is it that we all already know how they are to ride, :argue:

Headbanger
1st December 2008, 21:01
however its still as funny to see just how far riders travel before they realise that the flasher is still signalling....:yes:

Whenever a car tries to kill me I check my blinkers....more often then not it was the blinkers trying to get me killed.

slimjim
2nd December 2008, 09:06
Whenever a car tries to kill me I check my blinkers....more often then not it was the blinkers trying to get me killed.

yup followed a scooter the othe day..from a set of lights..she was flashing to go left...nope went straight ahead and crossed to the outside lane and started to swing into a right side lane and nearly got collected by following car she cut across in front..still flasher going on left side...pulled up beside her and said..turn your flasher off.....She answered..."MY WHAT"...:thud:

PuppetMaster
4th December 2008, 14:40
yup followed a scooter the othe day..from a set of lights..she was flashing to go left...nope went straight ahead and crossed to the outside lane and started to swing into a right side lane and nearly got collected by following car she cut across in front..still flasher going on left side...pulled up beside her and said..turn your flasher off.....She answered..."MY WHAT"...:thud:

"I said turn your flasher off....oh fuck it, NICE TITS".

Flip
7th December 2008, 17:17
Many thanks to Welly Motorcycles for the Harley test ride on the Saturday.
First time ridden one and chose the classic. Didn't vibrate half as much as expected. Took the oppurtunity to wave at non Harley riders, which I think gave them quite a surprise.

They are a more capable motorcycle than most riders like to believe.

scumdog
7th December 2008, 19:25
They are a more capable motorcycle than most riders like to believe.

Like most Harleys.

How many have actually ridden a Harley and then said "Whatta piece of crap, never gonna ride one of them ever again" and kept their word?

Scouse
7th December 2008, 19:41
Like most Harleys.

How many have actually ridden a Harley and then said "Whatta piece of crap, never gonna ride one of them ever again" and kept their word?Actualy I said the same thing about Triumphs and then didn't keep my word and a a Harley is on the near horison for me probably the XR1200

Headbanger
7th December 2008, 19:58
If Harleys were any good, Then other manufacturers would be imitating them.

Hailwood
7th December 2008, 20:18
So has anyone actually ridden one yet? I saw one and am very tempted to trade the Softail in but cant get a demo....any input is welcome...

Conquiztador
7th December 2008, 22:05
After Panheads and Shovels I knew my next one will be a Panhead again (or perhaps a Pan-shovel...) The new HD's just don't do it.

Then I had a 1/2 hour test ride on a 2009 Rocker Custom. Apart from the footpegs scraping in the corners she was nice. 6th gear and idle at 120K/h.

More forks, spoked wheels (21" front) and take the footpegs in 2" on each side, drop them down a little, and I would happily be seen on one. Now just have to figure where to rob $33K from...

jase the ace
9th December 2008, 12:08
well harleys forever i say . not too fast either. actually rather slow . .low to the ground . heavy as . good ride though . actually reminds me of a girl i once knew .. great ride if ridden carefully ..

chrisso
11th December 2008, 13:09
And 1978 XS1100's.

vifferman
11th December 2008, 13:11
My 1974 Honda MT250 did too (when I used them)

They were called hands.

scumdog
11th December 2008, 13:50
And 1978 XS1100's.

So what happened?

Did Kawasaki and Suzuki etc decide they weren't needed and stopped making them??:confused:

martybabe
11th December 2008, 14:13
I seem to be the only fella with a foot in both camps here, Harleys are great bikes, they do most thinks a little different to Jap bikes but that's part of the appeal innit.

If power and cutting edge technology are your thing buy Jap, if ya wanna enjoy riding for riding's sake buy a hog but without doubt the best solution is a couple of each. Put me down for some of that lottery Gods.

P.s. All bikes are good but no bike is perfect, viva la difference!

P.P.S. the above p.s. does not include Yamaha xs500s, if I'd had a bit of semtex in 1978...cafookinboom! :bash:

999RDale
22nd January 2009, 20:40
Having ridden jap sports bikes most of my life before changing to the Ducati 999 and just lately an 09 FLHT,all I can say is that I wish I'd made the change 6 or 7 years ago when I first started hankering after a Harley.