PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten highway? Now I know why!

burden2
19th November 2008, 00:39
Just got home from an all day ride from Taupo to Stratford thru the infamous Highway 43. Left Taupo at 8.30am and got home again at 1am, only one beer stop-at the Whangamomona pub of course! Didnt know how long the unsealed strip was and had some adventures in the slippery bits. It is not a trike track for sure but my offsider was having a blast on his GN250! Hit Stratford and decided we would go up to Waitara and then on to Piopio to visit a mate then home to Taupo-big mistake, after a few stops here and there to rest the tailbone I got to Piopio around 7 and by the time I left at 8 there wasnt many options for gas left so ended up in Te Kuiti then Te Awamutu and back thru Cambridge to Taupo. Am knackered and bike is filthy but hell, what a trip!

JMemonic
19th November 2008, 04:42
Good job but there is a golden rule here, photo's or it didn't happen ;)

Bonez
19th November 2008, 05:06
Well done for getting out there.:2thumbsup

Welcome to KB.

The Baron
19th November 2008, 05:52
There are some roads you just have to ride at least once and the forgotten world highway is one of them. You are a real biker now.

Fatt Max
19th November 2008, 05:57
Nice one dude, great trip and great tale

ynot slow
19th November 2008, 06:30
Way to go mate and welcome.

Live in the Naki for 43yrs before finally getting to Whanga,used to hunt and trek around the surrounding area,so can appreciate your enthusiasm for the road.Have gone to the pub 4 times,each time is great,annoying now have a better bike to take on the road,and it is more than an hours drive away lol,but it can wait.One of the joys of the Naki,and publican is a good guy,except when it's fine,bikes turn up and he has to work,envy is obvious towards us.

DarkLord
19th November 2008, 07:50
Good road that, isn't it? Twisties, scenery, dirt road, on a good day it's a pretty fantastic ride.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Hitcher
19th November 2008, 07:54
The Whanga publican rides a Concours, but I don't hold that against him.

burden2
19th November 2008, 11:13
After the dirty bit....................got the obligatory singlet from the pub but weather meant it wasnt quite appropriate riding attire! Spent a while cleaning the mud out of the radiator at Stratford and today is wash and polish day, thank god the air was cold so didnt have any cooling issues but now have some new shiny spots underneath from the sandblasting it got off the gravel.

shafty
19th November 2008, 11:56
It's a great road huh? My local now....

I'm working on getting The Matiere Cosi Club geared up for bike visits during summer weekends - at present we open at 3pm, but I can change that, watch this space........

phantom
19th November 2008, 11:59
Not a bad looking trike that. Welcome to KB

slimjim
19th November 2008, 12:50
yup bloody good road...bloody good pub too...

Forest
19th November 2008, 13:14
Sounds like a ride that you will never "forget". :blip:

gijoe1313
19th November 2008, 16:20
Aye, 'tis a corker of a wending route that ride! Up and down saddles, rugged terrain, lovely views and nice surprises that delight the senses.

Good to hear you enjoyed it! I really should stop at the Pub one day and hoist a ginger carbonated beverage ... next time, next time! :msn-wink:

banditrider
19th November 2008, 17:23
The Whanga publican rides a Concours, but I don't hold that against him.

Can't hold good taste against someone.

Great bit of road for sure.

Boob Johnson
19th November 2008, 21:37
Welcome to KB, glad you enjoyed the forgotten world highway, it sure is one of the best biking roads in the country :sunny:

ps: make sure you get ya passport, the fee goes towards the local school