PDA

View Full Version : On being safe, and visible - and a PLONKER!

vifferman
19th November 2008, 07:39
How many of you ride with your headlamp(s) on high-beam, to make yourselves more visible and safer?
Well, you're plonkers. And you're breaking the law.
I had this misfortune to be followed by someone riding a CBR400 (???) into Albany and Triton Drive this morning, with his/her headlight on high. If it was you, then you're lucky I didn't succumb to my instincts to stop, follow you to where you're going, and... I dunno... swear at you at the least. My eyes are still blurry and dazzled.
Unlike many bikes, my mirrors work well, so while you were following closely behind me, I was being dazzled, even though I was wearing a dark-tint visor.

Does it make you more visible? Well, maybe from a distance. Closer at hand, it just makes you fucking annoying. DON'T DO IT!!

Skunk
19th November 2008, 07:43
Got to agree with you there...

Hitcher
19th November 2008, 07:48
Vifferman for President!

The practice described irks me as much as cage drivers who insist on nerdling around with their park lights on. You'd think that the name of that fixture would provide a clue as to its purpose. I blame car manufacturers for putting the switch for these on the same unit that operates the main lights, when really it should be hidden in the bottom of the glove compartment.

CB ARGH
19th November 2008, 07:50
I've got to re-align my headlights, my low beam seems like highbeam according to my mate infront, even though it passed the WOF three months ago.

Could be because I'm running two 55/60's though :D

But yes, high beamers are bloody annoying, I only ever do it when on country roads at night when there is nobody infront of me.

davebullet
19th November 2008, 08:09
Agreed. In addition, high beam is actually less safe as it is more likely to make all other riders / drivers look away from you due to the glare. Don't do it in any vehicle.

vifferman
19th November 2008, 08:11
Well, it may have been that the headlights were just badly aligned. It's not like I could tell because all I could see was this annoying glare.
Besides - if you ride with your headlights on high all the time, you're left with one less method of indicating to motorists that you're pissed off. (Plus they won't be able to see your hand gestures etc.) When someone cuts me off, I usually squeeze the pass flasher and horn button at the same time.
[Reminds me - must check my electrics: the bike seems to slow down when I press the horn button...]

vifferman
19th November 2008, 08:15
The practice described irks me as much as cage drivers who insist on nerdling around with their park lights on. You'd think that the name of that fixture would provide a clue as to its purpose.
Plonkers who drive around with their fog lights or driving lights on all the time piss me off. Maybe that "name of the fixture" is the problem?
"Ur...yeah...wull I'm drivin' around, so I better turn me drivin' loits on, eh?"
"Durr... my brain's a bit foggy from all the bourbon and coke I slurped... fog lights'll fix that, fer sher!"

snuffles
19th November 2008, 08:17
Always ride with High beam on, always going to, until I am allowed to fit one of the alternating light units to the front of my bike.

racerhead
19th November 2008, 08:18
One of the other down sides of having high beams on is that other road users find it harder to judge your distance from them them at junctions which will cause accidents or near misses at the least

PirateJafa
19th November 2008, 08:19
IMO anyone who drives or rides with their highbeams on during the day, or fail to dip at night, are inconsiderate bastards - unless your bike is dang old, your highbeams WILL blind and piss off other motorists.

There's a GT250R rider up here on the North Shore who constantly rides with his high beam on, day and night, and it is frikken' bright. I've been sorely tempted to ram the blighter. Luckily for him he's always been going the opposite way to me, otherwise I'd give him a right fucking earful at the lights. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1619754#post1619754)

Luckily for him I no longer live on the 'shore.

vifferman
19th November 2008, 08:19
Always ride with High beam on, always going to, until I am allowed to fit one of the alternating light units to the front of my bike.
But you've (allegedly) got a big willy! Why not just ride with that flapping around in the breeze - people are sure to notice you!

I'm not one to backtrack, but there is a possibility that Mr/Ms CBR Rider this morning just had bright headlights, slim though it is. The last time a biker followed me and I was getting pissed off to the point of stopping him and complaining about his headlight, he turned left just in time.
It was a bike cop on a BMW.

snuffles
19th November 2008, 08:22
But you've (allegedly) got a big willy! Why not just ride with that flapping around in the breeze - people are sure to notice you!

Got sick of it dragging on the tar seal, gravel rash to the general is not good.

Tank
19th November 2008, 08:22
It is a pain - but will always be an issue when there are selfish riders on the road. People that actually believe that their passage is more important than that of other road users.

Take db for example - he takes pride in that he installed HIDS and leaves them on full beam all the time - ignoring the fact that the blinds the bejezus out of other bikers.

I'm more pissed with this kind of behaviour after coming around a tightish corner (with some loose stone) late one night only to have a car with HIDS come around the bend and blind me - it was only good luck that I made it around the corner as I could hardly see a fucken thing.

Still - as long as he made it around OK huh.

I put mine on highbeam and never put it on low unless I'm following a cop or something. Yep, fullbeam HID everywhere - stands out like dogs balls a kilometer away. edit: I'll dip it if someone flashes me, but that happens prolly once a month.

Steve

:sweatdrop :sweatdrop Like you would know. The safe passage of my arse is vastly more important to me than some complaining motorist who regularly "doesn't see me." They see me now, thats for sure, and I am behind no one for more than 15 seconds anyway - different story on your cruiser for sure. :laugh:

Yes it is spooky putting my lights from low to high beam, as there is a full second before the lamp begins is magical transition through the colour spectrum. Awesome! Yeah mock the conventional +50 being the piece of crap it is.. :laugh:

For dipped beam ? Yes, this is the legal/WOF issue, and partly the reason why I didn't mod my dip beam. The other reason was I never use the dip beam. :laugh:

There IS one safety issue with HIDs on fullbeam everywhere, and that is I am unable to flash anyone. Not sure if I like this. I have to dip before I can flash. However, flashing with pre-heated HIDs is fucking awesome! They go off real baaaad, and fire a really harrrrd and short "BLINK" off everything, lightning strike stylez. You can actually see everyone look around like "WTF was that?" Funny thing is, they all look in different directions.. :laugh:

HIDs are worth it just for the entertainment value, and then theres the safety value, and then theres the "look shithot" value. :whistle:

Steve

Finn
19th November 2008, 08:28
Guilty as charged. But only when on the motorway in the right lane and some brainless moron is half asleep wondering what ever happened to milk bottles.

Keep left cunts!

vifferman
19th November 2008, 08:33
It is a pain - but will always be an issue when there are selfish riders on the road. People that actually believe that their passage is more important than that of other road users.

:o
Well.... I am guilty of that at times, but it's only when people are being fuckwits AND impede my progress that I get pissed off. Like sitting in the right-hand lane on the motorway at 90km/h. EVERY day I have to use all three lanes to manouevre through the flotsam and jetsam of fuckwit drivers to be able to utilise the superior manoueverability and acceleration of my bike. (I suppse I should thank them that they make the ride more interesting, ha ha...)
Or driving down the left-hand lane of Onewa Road, knowing full well that they really need to be in the right-hand lane because they're headed south, but also knowing that some other sap will let them queue-hop. Why do they do this?!? Would they do it in a supermarket, or bank queue?
And the fuckers invariably end up half in each lane because the traffic's not moving, and obstruct BOTH lanes. Or they are over to the left of the left-hand lane, with no-one ahead of them, and I'm sitting there waiting because I can't get past on the left, and can't pass on the right in case they squish me. That's how I found out blasting my three horns makes my engine go "blahhhh....." Oops...

Take db for example - he takes pride in that he installed HIDS and leaves them on full beam all the time - ignoring the fact that the blinds the bejezus out of other bikers.
DB + Misuse of HIDs = Plonker

vifferman
19th November 2008, 08:37
Guilty as charged. But only when on the motorway in the right lane and some brainless moron is half asleep wondering what ever happened to milk bottles.

.... and you wish they were high=powered lasers, or RPGs instead of mere headlights.

Keep left cunts!
Indeed!
LOL... imagination kicks in here, and I can visualise you driving down the motorway, firing RPG salvoes, and as you drive past the fiery wreckage, announcing on your 10,000W PA system, "Keep left, cunts!"
:rofl:

CookMySock
19th November 2008, 08:49
LOL it wasn't me! How can you tell? I would have been in front of you, not behind you.

Nah I do take your point about being an asshole on the road. I have always said I will dip them on request, but strangely no one quotes me saying that - only the shit they can take more offence at, and always the same one or two people doing it.

All I am trying to do is be visible from a great distance. Thats it. And it works. In a group I'll dip them if people are sensitive to it. In a family ride we ALL ride fullbeam day and night, and that is tough shit.

Steve

Mom
19th November 2008, 09:01
I have always said I will dip them on request, but strangely no one quotes me saying that - only the shit they can take more offence at, and always the same one or two people doing it.

All I am trying to do is be visible from a great distance. Thats it. And it works. In a group I'll dip them if people are sensitive to it. In a family ride we ALL ride fullbeam day and night, and that is tough shit.

Steve

It is impossible for someone to "request" you to dip your lights if you are riding behind them Steve. It is blinding and distracting to have your over bright high beam refelcting back in my eyes from the mirrors. I have asked you not to do it, here you say you will continue to do it anyway.

Inconsiderate is what that is mate, and fucking stupid too.

dipshit
19th November 2008, 09:08
It is impossible for someone to "request" you to dip your lights if you are riding behind them Steve.

Of course he is only talking shit. It is his way to continue justifying in his own mind being a prat.

Just like how he can somehow justify to himself his own children riding on the roads without any insurance.

A bit like those people that drive around in big 4X4s and don't bother to use their indicators because it's okay cos they know where their pretentious selves are going. Prats.

Slyer
19th November 2008, 09:14
I almost never use my full beams, only when where I am is really deserted.
I see some people using them in the suburbs when there are street lights sometimes...

Horse
19th November 2008, 09:44
IMO, a single headlight on high beam is considerably less safe than the alternatives. My experience waiting at an intersection and viewing an oncoming bike with single headlight on full is that the headlight completely obscures the rest of the bike, eliminating change of size of the approaching object as a visual cue of its speed.

vifferman
19th November 2008, 09:55
My experience waiting at an intersection and viewing an oncoming bike with single headlight on full is that the headlight completely obscures the rest of the bike, eliminating change of size of the approaching object as a visual cue of its speed.
Not only that, but how are other motorists supposed to 'see' you, when they're dazzled/blinded/looking away to avoid the glare!

Fatjim
19th November 2008, 09:56
Actually, its more likely that your suspension needs adjusting more than your lights.

The stock tuono shock spring is 8.5Nm, I actually need a 13Nm to get the sag right with me on it. the WOF guy can''t check my headlight alignment unless he weighs 130Kg.

If bikes were sprung stock front AND rear correctly, then it would all even out, however, most bikes I've ridden usually have spring rates for different weight riders in both ends.

eg, VTR1000 is soft front and hard rear relatively.
Tuono is hard front and soft rear relatively.

Beemer
19th November 2008, 10:01
I had one plonker (love that word!) riding towards me in daylight a few days ago. He had a really large headlight and it was on full beam. I so wanted to turn my car lights on full and see how he liked it but he was in the middle of a stream of cars so I didn't.

Yes, it did make him visible, but it irritated me so much I wanted to run the bastard off the road! There is NO need to have your lights on full except under the usual circumstances - dark road, night time, no other traffic to blind, etc.

Mind you, he was a fat prick, so maybe his light was just a bit high. Yeah, right.

NodMan
19th November 2008, 10:17
The last time a biker followed me and I was getting pissed off to the point of stopping him and complaining about his headlight, he turned left just in time.
It was a bike cop on a BMW.

that rules me out then! poor bastards had them hard wired, (bad enough having to ride a Bavarian Mutant Wombat but to draw more attention to yourself is bad when you just hope everyone mistakes your bike for a Honda, a Kwaka, a Yamy, shit even a Hardly!)

Still illegal to have high beam on following or aproaching other traffic, also to use fog lights in clear conditions day or night.

If you want to be seen join the Village people (nah) ride a Police BMW (nah) wear dayglo, but better still just treat everyone out there as a deaf dumb drunk blind idiot

Hitcher
19th November 2008, 10:32
One is intrigued by the spectrum of views enunciated by motorcyclists about when and how their bikes should be illuminated. One feels like shutting the high-beamers in a room with the no-lights-necessary-during-daylighters, throwing in a selection of pointed and edged weapons, and selling tickets to view the ensuing spectacle.

Trelissick's Law: There are wankers at either end of the bell curve on most issues.

3L4NS1R
19th November 2008, 10:48
I think my headlight needs adjusting... I was on a back road the other night I flicked it on full beam, and suddenly the road disappeared. However, I did find out there were alot of powerlines. Hmmm. Possibly that would explain why people always adjust thier rear view mirrors when I pull in behind them...

Can't see why people would willingly put on full beam during the day though. Doesn't make you any more visible. If people are going to see you, they will see you wether you have full beam on or not... And at night, the difference between full beam and dipped in terms of someone else seeing it? I can't see there being much difference. Light is light after all.

Tank
19th November 2008, 11:16
LOL it wasn't me! How can you tell? I would have been in front of you, not behind you.

The only time a HoBag could get in front of me is if its coming from the other direction :scooter:

Nah I do take you point about being an asshole on the road. I have always said I will dip them on request, but strangely no one quotes me saying that - only the shit they can take more offence at, and always the same one or two people doing it.

Strangely nobody quotes that huh? I thought I did just above - Next time I will type slower for you.

And as for quoting shit that people take offence at - Its a quote FFS - Try not typing offensive shit - then it cannot be quoted!

The point remains that you say you wont dip them at all when following another car / bike unless its a cop. How can some request that you dip them in that position????

Again - How would you feel if someone was travelling behind your kids with their HID's on full-beam - you would throw a Famous in NZ (and Internationally) DB wobbly.

Usual story DB - you seem to be an extremely selfish biker and think very much of yourself and nobody else :no:

Swoop
19th November 2008, 11:17
Keep left cunts!
Like that is going to ever happen in NZ... Unless the ecilop's re-focus their target quota.

Fatjim
19th November 2008, 11:41
Usual story DB - you seem to be an extremely selfish biker and think very much of yourself and nobody else :no:

Na mate, he's just a blow hard who thinks he comes across all hard. Funny thing is, most guys to some degree can back up an attitude. DB though, really is a pussy, dressed in sheeps clothing.

But it would be a shame for him to change. The world needs diversity.

Fatt Max
19th November 2008, 11:46
With you on that one,

For some reason there is a woman in my street who high beams all the time, morning, noon and night. Might have to 'ave a word, know-wot-i-mean

sunhuntin
19th November 2008, 11:55
i keep my high beam on mostly when riding through town, past schools that are going in/coming out and when on the open road. when following a bike, it gets dipped and stays there until that bike has gone again. it also gets dipped when its overcast or raining due to reflection off the road being a hazard to other drivers.

i have actually noticed that the high beam has saved my skin more than once. thats why i leave it on during "rush hour" traffic where visiblity in general is bad. makes me stand out just that little bit more and has stopped many a stop sign rolling vehicle in its tracks.

slimjim
19th November 2008, 13:02
so if you were riding your bike....why the fuck didn't you slow enough to allow you to speak and mention that their light was on high and was causing a problem....many knock the switch housing with gloves or whatever the case is....but you just mainly rode on mutting and bitching yet did "what".:cry:

vifferman
19th November 2008, 13:07
i have actually noticed that the high beam has saved my skin more than once. thats why i leave it on during "rush hour" traffic where visiblity in general is bad. makes me stand out just that little bit more and has stopped many a stop sign rolling vehicle in its tracks.
But how would you know? There is no way to prove that having it on high beam was any more effective than having it on dipped. Even if the person had said, "OMIGOD thank goodness you had your light on high otherwise I would've run you over!" it wouldn't be proof of that.
There might be purely anecdotal 'evidence' that you noticed more near misses when your light was dipped than when it was on full, but that doesn't take into account that it might just be that there were more tards out'n'about at that time.
What you're really saying in effect is that having your light on full makes you feel safer because you're doing something to increase your visibility.
Perversely, sometimes feeling safer makes you less safe, as you subconsciously rely on your "safety blanket".
Having a glarey annoying headlight may well get you noticed more by virtue of being "in your face" to other motorists, but it's illegal and as others have said, makes it hard for people to see clearly, let alone judge how far away you are or how fast you're traveling.

vifferman
19th November 2008, 13:15
so if you were riding your bike....why the fuck didn't you slow enough to allow you to speak and mention that their light was on high and was causing a problem....many knock the switch housing with gloves or whatever the case is....but you just mainly rode on mutting and bitching yet did "what".:cry:
Sounds good in practice, but it's not that easy in D'Auckland's "rush" hour traffic. The best I would've been able to achieve would have been to pull over, then follow the miscreant to their place of employment. At the time, although I did consider motioning to them, I was too busy concentrating on riding and getting to work on time. I was actually going to let him/her go past and follow, but they turned off and I couldn't be bothered doing a u-turn and seeing where they went.
Besides, it's not the KB thing to do summat practical: you're supposed to come on here, post some drivel, and wait for the CyberGodz to conflab with the BikerGodz and come to some arrangement between themselves. :rolleyes:

slimjim
19th November 2008, 13:39
dude... some people don't always realize that they are causing a problem...cause noone tells them that they are...pity you were hard out looking ahead...may very well helped another biker in allowing knowledge that high beam aren't so bright...lol

dipshit
19th November 2008, 13:45
when following a bike, it gets dipped and stays there until that bike has gone again.

So if you realise it is annoying for other motorcyclists - then why do you feel it is okay to annoy other road users?

vifferman
19th November 2008, 13:51
dude... some people don't always realize that they are causing a problem...cause noone tells them that they are...pity you were hard out looking ahead...may very well helped another biker in allowing knowledge that high beam aren't so bright...lol
Yeah...
My bad... :o

Should I hunt them down after work?

Jacko2
19th November 2008, 16:08
Haven't read whole thread but, I find I can't see anything behind a bike with lights on full.

vifferman
19th November 2008, 16:12
Haven't read whole thread but, I find I can't see anything behind a bike with lights on full.
Hmmm... had to read this a few times, coz it sounded like you were talking about following a bike with its lights on full. Then I clicked - you mean, if a bike with its lights on full is approaching, you can't see what's behind it, due to the bedazzlement? It's almost like mobile sunstrike, innit?

Jacko2
19th November 2008, 16:15
Yeah, when I've had a bike following me with lights on full, can't see f/all behind that bike.
I find I like to know what's going on behind as well as in front.

vifferman
19th November 2008, 16:18
Oh, I see.
I just found it really fucking annoying, as even without looking in my mirrors, I was getting bright flashes in my eyes, which meant it was hard seeing where I was going.. I had to move my body and arms a bit to try to block it. Then I had the cunning idea of slipping a car between us by zipping in front of one, but that only lasted about a minute before it turned off.

Jacko2
19th November 2008, 16:31
Ah! a not so 'cunning plan' haha

McJim
19th November 2008, 16:34
A very bright light also destroys the human brain's ability to perceive distance therefore other road users will have no idea how fast the rider is travelling. Therefore high beam will probably cause more accidents and near misses - not less.

Darwin should sort the problem out in due course.

scumdog
19th November 2008, 16:58
Like that is going to ever happen in NZ... Unless the ecilop's re-focus their target quota.

Handed out a ticket for Fails to Keep Left of No Passing Lines today - so you should be ecstatic eh?

Grant81
19th November 2008, 17:21
I always ride with lights on dip, I understand Honda lights are permanently wired on. I ware a high vis ORANGE vest. There are alot of idiots in those other vhecials out there.

Blackshear
19th November 2008, 17:33
After exchanging my old old old, and probably stock headlight, for one of them white light ones.
I now ride on permanent dip.
Except when riding at night all alone, can see anything reflective light up over 300m away. Kaw!

twistemotion
19th November 2008, 17:40
High-beam is annoying, don't use it when there's vehicles in front of you. Even before I started biking, the single most annoying thing about motorbikes to me was the ones with high-beam on all the time. It makes others look AWAY instead of AT the bike.

CookMySock
19th November 2008, 17:59
yeah wtf guys? I already said I took your point.. I already said I'd dip them no-probs when asked.. I already admitted I was being an asshole doing it.. what more do you want? blood? Fucken lighten up. edit: to "ask" anyone to dip, just give them a quick flash.. You will get an instant dip response from me, and I do mean instant.

On the road, for you it is about your arse being on the line, and thats where the buck stops. You make your call and live or die by it, and damn straight I will do the same.

Steve

Slyer
19th November 2008, 18:12
Worst logic ever.
I'll stop beating your wife as soon as you ask me to.

MarkH
19th November 2008, 18:22
what more do you want?

I think the other road users just want you to do the legal and courteous thing and dip your lights without having to be asked. There are many reasons why people put up with annoyingly bright light without "asking" for the approaching or following motorist to dip them (maybe they ARE dipped but too bright or misaligned, it is hard to know).

rottiguy
19th November 2008, 18:34
My bandit light is hard wired on which I don't like and might wire in an off switch, on coming A-holes with lights on high beam are a pet peeve of mine, unfortunately only my van headlights are grunty enough to give them the full on blind buzz in return, people traveling up my bum with high beams on get the slow-the-fuck-down buzz till they overtake me then GET SOME. cars towing heavy trailers can look like they have their lights on high beam as the trailer lowers the back and tilts up the headlights, by law they are supposed to adjust their lights so they don't blind people but of course they never do

Cr1MiNaL
19th November 2008, 19:28
How many of you ride with your headlamp(s) on high-beam, to make yourselves more visible and safer?
I had this misfortune to be followed by someone riding a CBR400 (???) into Albany and Triton Drive this morning, with his/her headlight on high. If it was you, then you're lucky I didn't succumb to my instincts to stop, follow you to where you're going, and... I dunno... swear at you at the least. My eyes are still blurry and dazzled.
Unlike many bikes, my mirrors work well, so while you were following closely behind me, I was being dazzled, even though I was wearing a dark-tint visor.

Does it make you more visible? Well, maybe from a distance. Closer at hand, it just makes you fucking annoying. DON'T DO IT!!

Nah whatever, learn to cover your mirrors with your arms and stop being such a cry baby, harden the fuck up !!

About breaking the law --- Pha llease !

And U'll never get told off by a cop for having ur hight beam on during the day. The most visible you are the better. I always use my high beam day or night and will continue to do so. If ur good enough to keep me happy behind you your good enough to know how to cover your mirrors while riding, if not I'll pass you on one wheel anyway :cool:

Besides I am an annoying prick, but go beyond that and I'm quite likeable :hug:

Swoop
19th November 2008, 19:35
Handed out a ticket for Fails to Keep Left of No Passing Lines today - so you should be ecstatic eh?
:clap:
Superb work!!!
Keep it up!
:clap::clap:

Cr1MiNaL
19th November 2008, 19:48

Better Work Stories :shutup:

Pig: Hey how was your day?
Beef Jerkey: Good bro, handed out tickets for 56 in a 50, you shuda seen the look on his face!
Pig: Haha ahaha good one mate! I ticketed this guy for riding with his feet off the pegs, he was apparently stretching.. I was like here "stretch this"
Beef Jerkey: Hahahah looks like you had a good day mate.
Pig: Indeed i can't wait for tomorrow when I get to set up a roadblock on an abandoned backroad and bait a bunch of riders! I think I'll get 5 licenses or more.
Beef Jerkey: Man I hope my day could be as eventful.
Pig: Yea then I'll hoon around town with my light blaring for no apparent reason and run lights just for kicks...
Beef Jerkey: Man your cool.

p/s

Pussy
19th November 2008, 19:49
Nah whatever, learn to cover your mirrors with your arms and stop being such a cry baby, harden the fuck up !!

About breaking the law --- Pha llease !

And U'll never get told off by a cop for having ur hight beam on during the day. The most visible you are the better. I always use my high beam day or night and will continue to do so. If ur good enough to keep me happy behind you your good enough to know how to cover your mirrors while riding, if not I'll pass you on one wheel anyway :cool:

Besides I am an annoying prick, but go beyond that and I'm quite likeable :hug: Good troll, Raj.... but you're being a tit!

Cr1MiNaL
19th November 2008, 19:55
Good troll, Raj.... but you're being a tit!

LOL :apint: I am aren't I !!:beer:

BMWST?
19th November 2008, 20:00

well in my opinion, this is inconsiderate, selfish, and narrow minded.There is absolutely no need for that ,low beam is just as effective and doesnt blind other road users(including other motocyclists)

rocketman1
19th November 2008, 20:07
Always on full beam, not that I am ever behind any cars or bike for long.
Of course I obey the dip lights at night time.
I want people to see no matter what!
If the light are bright don't bloody look at them, look away

PrincessBandit
19th November 2008, 20:12
I almost never use my full beams, only when where I am is really deserted.
With you on that. I generally find my low beam is sufficient for the majority of night riding i do. Even out in the country with nill lighting I tend to just keep my left index finger close to the "pass" switch and use that rather than having the high on then having to flick it off all the time for oncoming (or following).

My bandit light is hard wired on which I don't like and might wire in an off switch, ...
My bandit is the same. Would that be a difficult job to do?

Besides I am an annoying prick, but go beyond that and I'm quite likeable :hug:
Never! but i tell ya those lil black birdie things in your signature drive me nuts. Every time I read one of your posts I think i have bloody ants crawling on my monitor!
:laugh:

Big Dave
19th November 2008, 20:13
Always on full beam, not that I am ever behind any cars or bike for long.
Of course I obey the dip lights at night time.
I want people to see no matter what!
If the light are bright don't bloody look at them, look away

Tell that to the hapless old pensioner you have completely dazzled and disoriented and who blindly runs into you head on.

scumdog
19th November 2008, 20:38
cars towing heavy trailers can look like they have their lights on high beam as the trailer lowers the back and tilts up the headlights, by law they are supposed to adjust their lights so they don't blind people but of course they never do

Yup, Jappa 4X4s seem to be the worse offenders, throw a bag of spuds into the back of a Surf and the haedlights aim for the power-wires.

Tank
19th November 2008, 21:15
yeah wtf guys? I already said I took your point.. I already said I'd dip them no-probs when asked.. I already admitted I was being an asshole doing it.. what more do you want? blood? Fucken lighten up. edit: to "ask" anyone to dip, just give them a quick flash.. You will get an instant dip response from me, and I do mean instant.

What else do I want - a simple answer to "how the fuck to you flash a person behind you" will do for a start.

Jacko2
19th November 2008, 22:04
What else do I want - a simple answer to "how the fuck to you flash a person behind you" will do for a start.

Ha! You asked for this Tank.
Ride with those 'leather chaps' wifey got you for playtime, stand on ya pegs and bend forward.

Tank
19th November 2008, 22:10
Ha! You asked for this Tank.
Ride with those 'leather chaps' wifey got you for playtime, stand on ya pegs and bend forward.

ummm thanks Jacko. :sick:

Mikkel
19th November 2008, 22:12
Funny how people are almost falling on top of eachother to admit being inconsiderate plonkers. :clap:

A lot of road-users haven't got the first clue as how to use their lights. Be it foglights, parking lights, high beam, low beam or indicators. I went riding over Takaka hill in the rain (pretty much inside a cloud) and about a third of all the cars I met didn't have their lights on. People not bothering to indicate - or indicating as they initiate their turn is another pleasant surprise. :crazy:

But it's not just the road-users - there seems to be a conspiracy going on to make the roads as unsafe as possible, and the authorities are in on it too. E.g. the signs saying "Turn on Parking Lights" at tunnels. :argh:

Following a car closely with your high beam on could be perceived by some people as a challenge to a braking contest... Better be prepared.

Darwin should sort the problem out in due course.

Darwin isn't working these days... He's standing in line down at WINZ, either that or he already retired on a public pension.

ratast
19th November 2008, 22:14
Hi Snuffles. check out Kriss Industries for headlight modulators. great for alerting dozy drivers that there is a bike near them, so can stop checking makeup in mirror and look out for me, which is easier because now they know I am there.

Forest
20th November 2008, 01:18
Funny how people are almost falling on top of eachother to admit being inconsiderate plonkers. :clap:

I have to admit that I'm a bit shocked by some of the responses in this thread.

vifferman
20th November 2008, 07:34
Hi Snuffles. check out Kriss Industries for headlight modulators.
Yeah, they're a great idea, but they (and brakelight flashers) are currently illegal in Noo Zilund. The bureaucrats in LTNZ apparently don't reckon 'em, although a while back they were on the list of things they were considering making compulsory (now that's a major turnaround, innit?!?) to help reduce the number of bike accidents.

Oscar
20th November 2008, 11:15
Vifferman for President!

The practice described irks me as much as cage drivers who insist on nerdling around with their park lights on. You'd think that the name of that fixture would provide a clue as to its purpose. I blame car manufacturers for putting the switch for these on the same unit that operates the main lights, when really it should be hidden in the bottom of the glove compartment.

....and fog lights are fer fog, Goddamit!!!

Badjelly
20th November 2008, 12:11
I had one plonker (love that word!) riding towards me in daylight a few days ago. He had a really large headlight and it was on full beam. ... Yes, it did make him visible, but it irritated me so much I wanted to run the bastard off the road!

You should have requested him to dip his lights. If it had been DB he would have been glad to comply with your request. (Quite how you "request" someone to dip his lights in this situation isn't clear to me. Can you explain that please ,DB?)

Tank
20th November 2008, 13:22
You should have requested him to dip his lights. If it had been DB he would have been glad to comply with your request. (Quite how you "request" someone to dip his lights in this situation isn't clear to me. Can you explain that please ,DB?)

We have been asking BJ (see below) - but as usual when he's been called out DB disappears from the thread - Somehow I doubt you will get a reply.

Mom
20th November 2008, 15:03
We have been asking BJ (see below) - but as usual when he's been called out DB disappears from the thread - Somehow I doubt you will get a reply.

According to the rep he gave me last night, you pull over and stop, then ask :yes:

Tank
20th November 2008, 15:11
According to the rep he gave me last night, you pull over and stop, then ask :yes:

I thought that the 'biker code' was very clear - if you have to pull over and stop another biker because of their inconsiderate riding you dont have to say a thing, you simply smash them in the mouth.

sinfull
20th November 2008, 15:19
What else do I want - a simple answer to "how the fuck to you flash a person behind you" will do for a start. Bwahahahahaha you still riding a harley ! Your in his sights too long Tank !

I am not inconsiderate !!! I consider myself all the time !

Hi Snuffles. check out Kriss Industries for headlight modulators. great for alerting dozy drivers that there is a bike near them, so can stop checking makeup in mirror and look out for me, which is easier because now they know I am there. Drag pipes work well too bro ! seen a electroglide or the likes coming out of the manawatu gorge the other day with the flashing shit going on ! Thought there was a prang or sommit !

According to the rep he gave me last night, you pull over and stop, then ask :yes:Ewwww DB sending rep again ? Lemme guess red no doubt !

smoky
20th November 2008, 15:27
One of the other down sides of having high beams on is that other road users find it harder to judge your distance from them them at junctions which will cause accidents or near misses at the least

Thats crazy - no way man, where do you get that from, how about a reference or something

Greyham
20th November 2008, 15:30
I agree, even park lights are visable from a distant, no need for high beams, unless your on a road with no one on it or inter city traveling

smoky
If you rode naked down the road everyone would notice you

:gob:

The Pastor
its not DB + HID = PLONKER its DB+KEYBOARD = PLONKER!

sinfull
20th November 2008, 15:35
http://www.what-is-this.com/images/blogs/7-2008/bright-light-16250.jpg
Thats crazy - no way man, where do you get that from, how about a reference or something

Oscar
20th November 2008, 15:36
its not DB + HID = PLONKER its DB+KEYBOARD = PLONKER!

To be fair, I think we've all made a cahnt of ourselves at some stage on the interweb. Even I may have a coupla times, but I don't think anyone noticed...:innocent:

sinfull
20th November 2008, 15:39
To be fair, I think we've all made a cahnt of ourselves at some stage on the interweb. Even I may have a coupla times, but I don't think anyone noticed...:innocent:
Have you not been paying attention ?

The Pastor
20th November 2008, 15:40
to be fair, i think we've all made a cahnt of ourselves at some stage on the interweb. Even i may have a coupla times, but i don't think anyone noticed...:innocent:
i never have

Tank
20th November 2008, 15:42

I did a Google search on "silly things Oscar says" and got 315,000 hits. Yep - we noticed.

to be fair some of them were other Oscars.

Oscar
20th November 2008, 15:52
Have you not been paying attention ?

To what?

Huh?

sinfull
20th November 2008, 16:17
To what?

Huh?
Lol missed them did ya !

rocketman1
20th November 2008, 16:36
It wood be a good thing if the "old pensioner" even saw me in the first place lights full ablaze or not

dpex
20th November 2008, 19:14

Having been a devotee of hi-vis, and still wondering why the cagers seemed still out to get me, I decided to go bland.

BTW: I use my bike for sales calls throughout the week.

When I lost the hi-vis and went with jeans and a brown bomber jacket I must say I felt the 'incidents' of attack seemed to lessen.

I'm now beginning to wonder if stuff like high-vis, headlights, L-plates, etc, create target fixation within cagers.

Dunno. The change in incident numbers might be purely coincidental.

Sure, I have also experienced a cager lamenting, 'I jus' din't see ya', but I've had that when I have driven my own cage.

Dunno. To me it's an interesting issue. One which would benefit from some proper study to determine the value/cost of being 'very' obvious on a bike.

I have noticed, within myself, that when I hove up to an L-plate driver I tend to watch what they're doing way more closely than I do ordinary cagers.

I guess that's a type of fixation, since more of my concentration is on the potential beany rather than on the greater picture.

rottiguy
20th November 2008, 19:51
[QUOTE=PrincessBandit;1816903]

My bandit is the same. Would that be a difficult job to do?

Not sure, want to cover my bases before I start snipping wires off :blink:

rottiguy
20th November 2008, 19:56
Yup, Jappa 4X4s seem to be the worse offenders, throw a bag of spuds into the back of a Surf and the haedlights aim for the power-wires.

They must have soft arsed rear shocks in them, or maybe they are just flogged out by the time joe importer brings them into the country, My old man had a car that you could adjust the headlights up and down like electric mirrors with a switch on the dash, was pretty sniffty :shit:

SARGE
20th November 2008, 20:00
yea .. sorry man .. i run my hi-beams when i ride during the day .. i have 60/100 dual ice blue halogens on the 'Ace.. wired through a relay to make them REAL bright..used to run the same on the FJ but through a modulator till it fried from the voltage

rather be seen thanks ..

smoky
20th November 2008, 21:09
http://www.what-is-this.com/images/blogs/7-2008/bright-light-16250.jpg

You need to clean your visor dude

Badjelly
21st November 2008, 09:50
Dunno. To me it's an interesting issue. One which would benefit from some proper study to determine the value/cost of being 'very' obvious on a bike.

It's been done, but as usual the results are not as clear-cut as you'd think. Motorcyclists who use their headlights during the day and/or wear high-vis clothing have fewer crashes than those who don't (by 30-40%, sorry I can't recall the exact number, but if you look around this site you will find references). The problem is, that effect might be a result of them being naturally more careful people in the first place. Me, I go with my natural carefulness: I use the headlight all the time (low-beam) and I wear a dorky high-vis vest.

tzrmike
21st November 2008, 14:44
It's been done, but as usual the results are not as clear-cut as you'd think. Motorcyclists who use their headlights during the day and/or wear high-vis clothing have fewer crashes than those who don't (by 30-40%, sorry I can't recall the exact number, but if you look around this site you will find references). The problem is, that effect might be a result of them being naturally more careful people in the first place. Me, I go with my natural carefulness: I use the headlight all the time (low-beam) and I wear a dorky high-vis vest.

I have read something similar in Superbike, IIRC. The jist was, if we all started wearing hi-vis, instead of just the "Captain Safety" types, the number of accidents while wearing hi-vis would skyrocket, so then the govt would probably make them illegal to try and cut the number of bike accidents!