PDA

View Full Version : Can't make the decision!

scorry
19th November 2008, 14:03
Right, the problem with my current motard (07 Wr450) is that it isnt fast enough in a straight line, so even tho i can corner ok the people i pass just come back past on the straights.

simple solution, get a faster bike

the logical move would be to get rid of the trail bike and get a motorcross bike eg from the wr450 to a yz450.

so my local shop is real keen to sell me a 08 yz450 with suspension set up for a more solid chap (like me) for around 9500
then i still have to get new wheels cos i want spokes instead of the cbr mag wheels i am currently running.

so we are looking around 12k ready to rock with more power

but i have just found a 06 ktm 525 exc 6spd box and comes with both motard wheels and dirt wheels for just over 9k

pros and cons have been weighed up and they came out pretty even but the big selling point is that the ktm comes with wheels and therefore is gonna save me over 2k

I think the yz would be faster and it already has good suspension, but i do still enjoy trail riding and the ktm would be mint for that and its got a side stand and electric start.
but by staying with yamaha all the gearing and mag wheels i have now will fit

hope you see my problem, i just cant decide!!

would love to hear other people opinions please

WRT
19th November 2008, 15:11
Just to throw in another option - what about a big bore kit for the WR?

scorry
19th November 2008, 15:17
Just to throw in another option - what about a big bore kit for the WR?

would that not then run into reliablity issues and also make it harder to find replacement parts?

i would prefferably like to leave the internals of either bikes std, dont mind adding pipes or jet kits tho

WRT
19th November 2008, 15:31
Fair enough - makes sense. However, have you factored in maintenance costs? KTM will probably win there I'd imagine. I would have thought that the YZF wouldn't be much faster in a straight line, if at all? Be a bit lighter though, but that's not really what you are looking for at this stage . . . I'd probably be leaning towards the KTM if I was in your shoes.

Edit: On paper that is. In the flesh is something else again - the YZF is a waaay sexier machine! :niceone:

Quasievil
19th November 2008, 15:38
I would go for a KTM motard, the spec is already up there, a Yammy would need a bit of work done to it to turn it into a Motard, ie forks, rims tyres etc. A KTM is a Motard the yammy is a MXr and needs a good $5+k to make it a Motard.

Besides KTM is just cooler end o story lol

Now time for me to work on my KTM for the looming tri series

scorry
19th November 2008, 15:40
I am leaning more towards the KTM cos its much like my WR with maintenance at around 100hrs for a piston and the yz is around 50hrs

oh the KTM isnt a sm verison quasi its the trail version but with sm wheels, i am guessin the suspension will be reasonably solid tho bein that it is a 525

Bulldog
19th November 2008, 15:53
Mate I've got a perfect KTM for sale on trademe at the moment.... my 03 525sx with all ESX electrics. 160 rear, slipper clutch, six speed box, electric start, side stand 05 lights and computer. I have a brand new Vapor computer for it too that I never got round to installing. You can have the lot for 9k.

scorry
19th November 2008, 16:01
Mate I've got a perfect KTM for sale on trademe at the moment.... my 03 525sx with all ESX electrics. 160 rear, slipper clutch, six speed box, electric start, side stand 05 lights and computer. I have a brand new Vapor computer for it too that I never got round to installing. You can have the lot for 9k.

nice bike mate i have seen it on there and it looks cool, love the fact its a 6spd sx and its road legal which is impossible to find and its got a slipper clutch

but i can get a 06 525 for 9k and its got dirt wheels, cos i still enjoy doin trail rides

and you are a bit far away mate

Bulldog
19th November 2008, 18:38
hey we can organise delivery no worries.

CM2005
19th November 2008, 18:52
there's no replacement for displacement there scorry... 450 vs 525?? 525 wins!!!

Aero165
19th November 2008, 20:21
Yo dude! I sold my 04 WR40 SM and bought a 04 525 EXC motard! The KTM is TOOOOOONNNNNEEEESSSSS better!

scorry
19th November 2008, 20:22
hey we can organise delivery no worries.

have ya got the dirt wheels as well tho mate?

scorry
19th November 2008, 20:29
Yo dude! I sold my 04 WR40 SM and bought a 04 525 EXC motard! The KTM is TOOOOOONNNNNEEEESSSSS better!

that what im after, someone who has gone from a wr to a 525

how does your 525 go against the 450's?

Aero165
19th November 2008, 20:34
that what im after, someone who has gone from a wr to a 525

how does your 525 go against the 450's?

It was so much better on the road. The 6th gear is heaven:innocent:

The torque is great too. Power wise they are similar but the KTM just does it nicer and smoother. My KTM was rather stock but I have no doubt that after a bit of $$$ it would eat the WR

scorry
19th November 2008, 20:43
It was so much better on the road. The 6th gear is heaven:innocent:

The torque is great too. Power wise they are similar but the KTM just does it nicer and smoother. My KTM was rather stock but I have no doubt that after a bit of $$$ it would eat the WR

good to know mate, thanks heaps for that

just found out the KTM i am looking at may be sold, bugger ay just too slow on my behalf.

Bulldog
19th November 2008, 20:56
If you change your mind.... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=188831711

Dirt wheels are relatively cheap. If you're going racing you'd be better off with my slipper clutch and 5 inch rear rim than additional dirt wheels. Did the other one have the big front brake? Honestly...if you're keen on a 525 this is a minter with all the right bits. SX has titanium valves and springs also to handle more revs ;)

GaZBur
20th November 2008, 09:26
....bugger ay just too slow on my behalf...

Ahhh Haaaa, you admit you are slow eh!

Ok I am quoting out of context here - but it was too good a quote to miss!!!

scorry
20th November 2008, 09:49
Ahhh Haaaa, you admit you are slow eh!

Ok I am quoting out of context here - but it was too good a quote to miss!!!

must have been a moment of weakness lol

oh and i find out at lunch time today if i have a new bike for next weekend :banana:

fatzx10r
20th November 2008, 09:53
oh and i find out at lunch time today if i have a new bike for next weekend :banana:

do you need a test pilot :clap:

scorry
20th November 2008, 09:56
do you need a test pilot :clap:

i think i would be better off riding it myself mate, considering the earliest i might get it (if the bank says yes at lunch time) would be maybe tuesday??
then i would be racing it on saturday, so doesnt give me much time to get used to it.

but its not for sure yet, so will not get my hopes up too early

GaZBur
20th November 2008, 13:48
..oh and i find out at lunch time today if i have a new bike for next weekend :banana:

Good Luck! If you need plastic sliders for it I have some plastic left over, and well how do I put this without seeming to give you a hard time, you do seem to need them more than the rest of us.

:shit: Ok just having you on - you are still driving us to the Burt Munroe aren't ya?
:confused:Please!

scorry
20th November 2008, 13:53
Good Luck! If you need plastic sliders for it I have some plastic left over, and well how do I put this without seeming to give you a hard time, you do seem to need them more than the rest of us.

:shit: Ok just having you on - you are still driving us to the Burt Munroe aren't ya?
:confused:Please!

Cheers Gaz but i went out and got heaps of plastic last time i needed more, my other sliders might fit tho, hopefully.

and yeah i know i do seem to need them more than others lol cheeky bugger

yep still driving down next friday in the big ol camper.

oh and um, the bank said yes :woohoo:
but i dont know if the bike will be here in time, and i have emailed the organisers to see if it is ok if i can change bikes over, if my new toy does arrive in time

sinfull
20th November 2008, 14:03
oh and um, the bank said yes :woohoo:

Excellent !
Faaaark them banks are good aye lol
Enjoy the munroe weekend Bastards !!!

scorry
20th November 2008, 14:56
Excellent !
Faaaark them banks are good aye lol
Enjoy the munroe weekend Bastards !!!

yeah sometimes those banks are too good ay

ill do my best to enjoy the burt munro mate, should take much lol

Just found out my new wheels wont be here by next week tho, oh well i can wait till round 1 of the southland summer series on 14th december