PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung "Hand-Grenade" GT250R

Gubb
19th November 2008, 18:22
Brilliant bikes until the engine explodes.

Long story short:

About a month back, I headed out to do the Coro Loop with Toto, Musicman, Scracha & kevfromcoro. Just before the Miranda flats I had a horrible rattling noise coming from the engine. It sounded like there was something loose inside the cylinder.

Pulled over straight away. Didn't want to try my luck. Bike was stuffed. Waited in Thames for about 4 hours for the Missus to bring a Trailer and pick me up, dropped it into Spectrum and asked them to have a look-see.

The front Piston had blown, taking the Conrod and Crankshaft with it. I have owned the bike for 13 months, and done a touch over 17,000kms. The Warranty period is for 12 months and 10,000kms.

Hyosung NZ have also just announced that they will be offering a 2 year, 20,000km warranty for the 2008 models, which are identical to the 2007 models (mine) bar different colour fairings. Surely if the engines are identical, and they are willing to stand beside the '08 ones, then they'll cover mine too? With this in mind, Spectrum submitted a claim to see if they would cover it.

Nope. "It's not under Warranty, we don't have to". Technically yes, they are right, but they'll cover the same bike if it's a different colour? That's bullshit. Their reasoning behind it was the only possible way for this to happen, is to be redlining the bike excessively, causing the damage.

Anyone that has ridden with me will know that this is not the case. I ride like a Nana, and 95% of it's K's were dur to communtering.

It's gonna cost me $1800 for a second hand engine to be installed.

I looked up htre Consumer Gurantees Act under "Fair Use", i'm sure that 17,000k on a new bike before it explodes isn't considered "fair". Only recourse I have is through the Disputes trubunal, in which it'll be my word against theirs as to how I was riding it.

Cock. Maybe the 'haters' have a grain of truth to them.

MIXONE
19th November 2008, 18:34
Bad luck there mate.:argh::weep:
I've never ridden one but the "haters" out there have convinced me never to buy one.

Usarka
19th November 2008, 18:37
Only recourse I have is through the Disputes trubunal, in which it'll be my word against theirs as to how I was riding it.

sworn affadavid, afacado, afficanado, affidavit, ummmm statement from people who ride with you etc...?

(caveat: bush lawyers input)

Dragon
19th November 2008, 18:41
I've had two mates that had the save thing happen on there bikes both bikes where older however. It's meant to be the valve housings that go because the metal isn't up to snuff.

Gubb
19th November 2008, 18:43
sworn affadavid, afacado, afficanado, affidavit, ummmm statement from people who ride with you etc...?

(caveat: bush lawyers input)
Cheers, but i'm not a fan of avacados.

jrandom
19th November 2008, 18:49
Maybe the 'haters' have a grain of truth to them.

A little bit, aye?

The problem with most non-Japanese Asian manufacturing these days (that's not under the control of Western companies) is quality control. So some bikes will be fine, some bikes will be shit, and you'll never know until it's too late.

And, of course, you'll get the fools with a Hobag that hasn't blown up saying 'oh, they're fine', but the fact is, their rate of catastrophic failure is an order of magnitude above that of the Jap brands.

Give Hyosung another ten years and they might get themselves sorted out, who knows? The Japanese car manufacturers were in a similar situation in the '50s and '60s.

CookMySock
19th November 2008, 18:52
Ah that stinks, mate. See if you can get this auction relisted. It was a lot cheap than the alternatives IIRC.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=186333891

Steve

honda929
19th November 2008, 19:29
Ive got a hyo 250 in the family, the engine decided it would be a good idea if a piston went snorkeling in the sump at 35,000k, but at the time had been in second gear burnout at the 3min mark, still thats the last thing i expected.Replacement motor found with 20,000k for $800.Still gets treated the same but no problems 1000's of k's later, yep you get a good one or a lemon grenade.

tri boy
19th November 2008, 19:37
Hold on here. You purchased a bike with a known 12 mth warranty subject to their service schedule. The warranty ran out. The bike broke down, and you now want a two year warranty???????

You are from the children of the eighties are you not?
Waaah waaah, everybody wipe my arse for me.
(shame about your bike, but sheesh, grow some fortitude will ya):sunny:

Gubb
19th November 2008, 19:41
Hold on here. You purchased a bike with a known 12 mth warranty subject to their service schedule. The warranty ran out. The bike broke down, and you now want a two year warranty???????
Have you read my post?
The Warranties on the '08 models is twice as long, for exactly the same bike-bar different coloured fairings. Same engine, this is what Hyosung NZ have told me. They stand by that model, but not by the '07. I was wondering why?

Do you think that 17,000k is the expected use for a bike before the engine disintegrates?

tri boy
19th November 2008, 20:28
I would need to inspect the engine myself before I would comment on the 17000km failure. Too many variables to contend with without seeing it, and many many engines have failed due to many reasons at less than these km's.

But still, the warranty was for 12 mths. Buy an 09 and get 24, but it's unfair to consider it's a Hyosung engine warranty issue. Horse bolted, gate still swinging open.:calm:

Headbanger
19th November 2008, 20:32
Ignore the warranty, Your covered by the CGA, Notify whoever your dealing with that you are going to force the issue via the CGA, and then do so. Give them one more chance to fix the bike and then get some papers served.

Only cost ya about $60, and the legislation is weighted very heavily towards the customer.

geoffm
19th November 2008, 20:41
Consumer Guarenetees Act is your friend on this one. The length of their warenty is irrelevant - more the matter of time a $7k motorcycle is expected to last. this is more than 13 months.
I assume the servicing is up to date, but I would expect you to win this oen if youare organised.

tri boy
19th November 2008, 20:44
Consumer Guarenetees Act is your friend on this one. but I would expect you to win this oen if youare organised.

Or not. Too many variables like I said. But give it a go.

Gubb
19th November 2008, 20:47
Yeah, it's fully serviced. Oil and Filters done every 4000k.

Will sleep on it and think about it tonight.

Usarka
19th November 2008, 20:59
Cheers, but i'm not a fan of avacados.
Wierdo, guacamole and corn chips rock the house.

Yeah, it's fully serviced. Oil and Filters done every 4000k.

More ammo if you do decide to go "legal" (assuming you have receipts)

/bushlawer

regardless, feel for ya.......

DarkLord
19th November 2008, 21:08
So is it 1 year or 10,000 k's, whichever comes first? Or is it one year regardless of how many k's you've done?

Surely if it is one year regardless you would be covered by the CGA, under the claim that it was a Product of Non-Merchandisable Quality as it's crapped out one month out of warranty.

Feel for ya as well, dude. Check your PM's as well.........

Headbanger
I'd be angry for years if I dropped 7 grand on a brand new bike and it shit itself.

Hell, I'm angry now and I don't even know the person involved.

I'd be doing some shit that would make me look bad when it got to court........:banana:

That 7 grand could have gone on a HD Sportster, they go damn fine for a couple of decades.

sinfull
bummer to hear mate especially after you had stood by em through all the hate posts !

RantyDave
19th November 2008, 21:14
I have owned the bike for 13 months, and done a touch over 17,000kms.
This stinks. Bizarrely I had always assumed that the one part of a hyobag that did actually work was the engine.

I agree with the calls to CGA it, but I wouldn't bother giving the shop a second chance. They're not going to take it.

Ahhh, god. I feel your pain. Please please noobs - stop buying Hyosung's.

Dave

jamiey
19th November 2008, 21:18
Whatever bike you ride whether it be a Hyothingy, or a 49cc Scoot to a Goldwing and everything on 2 wheels in between. When your pride and joy breaks down and you have no Scoot it sucks. I feel your pain dude. Good luck with getting it fixed

CookMySock
20th November 2008, 06:32
All the CGA bullshit is going to take months to process, which means bikeless for the summer. Seriously, get that trademe auction relisted. It was cheap - $700 ish IIRC and get some mates to help ya install it. You will be back on the road in less than a week, and then you can argue with the pricks on rainy days.

Steve

sinfull
20th November 2008, 06:39
You will be back on the road in less than a week, and then you can argue with the pricks on rainy days.

Steve
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm a sign perhaps

RantyDave
20th November 2008, 06:43
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm a sign perhaps
The question is: Now Mr Hyosung has destroyed huge chunks of our fearless hero's cash, can he still afford a striple? Tune in next week...

Dave

raftn
20th November 2008, 06:55
The question is: Now Mr Hyosung has destroyed huge chunks of our fearless hero's cash, can he still afford a striple? Tune in next week...

Dave

Was just thinking the same thing, fix it, flick and get a street triple! I wait anxiously to find out the next installment!

sinfull
20th November 2008, 07:13
I hate serials !!!!! just buy it !!!!!

portokiwi
20th November 2008, 07:24
:shit: Man that sucks mate. I realy feel for you.
Do what the have been saying, There has to be a way. A new bike even if its just past its date should be honnered. Worse comes to worse..... Could be far go. Good luck:bye:

Headbanger
20th November 2008, 07:38
All the CGA bullshit is going to take months to process, which means bikeless for the summer. Seriously, get that trademe auction relisted. It was cheap - $700 ish IIRC and get some mates to help ya install it. You will be back on the road in less than a week, and then you can argue with the pricks on rainy days.

Steve

Yeah, people should just roll over when they get sold shit bikes by companies that provide bullshit service.

Long may it continue.

Bend over people, China wants to fuck you up the arse.

Tank
20th November 2008, 07:55

umm in this case its not China but some Korean sweatshop.

Tank
20th November 2008, 07:59

Steve

There is a saying Grasshopper;
"Anyone can make a mistake, only a fool makes it twice".

So hes doing the decent thing and ditching the bitch.

Only issue with the Speed triple tho' is that it just doesn't have the street-cred of the Ho'Bag.

Kornholio
20th November 2008, 08:03
BOOM.

Whea hey hey....

Headbanger
20th November 2008, 08:18
umm in this case its not China but some Korean sweatshop.

Facts have no place in a discussion where emotions are involved.

Damn them Chinese and their tainted milk powder. Killing babies AND making sub-par motorcycles.

sinfull
20th November 2008, 08:28
Only issue with the Speed triple tho' is that it just doesn't have the street-cred of the Ho'Bag.
Hangs himself in a quiet corner of the universe !

DarkLord
20th November 2008, 09:02
I hate serials !!!!! just buy it !!!!!

I'm going to print that and buy myself a GSX-R 600 with it.

As well as a solid gold house to top it off.

sinfull
20th November 2008, 09:08
I'm going to print that and buy myself a GSX-R 600 with it.

As well as a solid gold house to top it off.

Just NOT a Hobag ayeeeeeee

cs363
20th November 2008, 17:54
Or not. Too many variables like I said. But give it a go.

X 2 on the 'or not'. In fact I'd probably push that to not - UNLESS you can come up with some proof that there was a manufacturing fault that caused the engine's demise, otherwise as tri boy correctly states, way too many variables and it will just turn into a he said- she said argument that won't last 5 minutes before being chucked out by the small claims court.
Best to ask the guys at Spectrum if they can pinpoint the cause of the failure and then go from there, but frankly I think you are clutching at straws on getting any warranty help from Hyosung unless they happened to be in a damn good mood and wanted to do a goodwill gesture - highly unlikely in the current economic climate, being a small company.
The fact that the new model has an increased warranty has no bearing on your issue regardless of any similarities between it and your model. It's no different to someone buying a Suzuki and then whinging that they dropped the price a month after they bought it.
Just the way things work in the commercial world.

To be honest you'd probably still have some issues getting it fixed for nix even if the bike was under warranty (regardless of brand) if it just chernobyled without any apparent cause. A catastrophic failure like that if it doesn't have a specific cause related to a manufacturing fault generally tends to point to abuse of some sort, whether it's over revving, low oil, incorrectly fitted or adjusted parts etc. Though of course if you've only ever had the bike serviced by the dealer and used genuine parts you should have at least some comeback on the dealer if not the manufacturer. Cases like that rarely run smoothly in my experience.

Lets hope you can find a good deal on a replacement engine (or that you find a definitive cause of the failure).
Best of luck to you.

tri boy
20th November 2008, 19:06
Yeah, people should just roll over when they get sold shit bikes by companies that provide bullshit service.

Long may it continue.

China???????
Dude, buy an Atlas:msn-wink:
Shit bike? Tell that to the thousands of world wide owners who really like them.
Hell they race them in more civilised countries.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxJNBZTVYf4

Headbanger
20th November 2008, 19:18
I'm guessing the naysayers either are completely ignorant as to what the CGA is about, or work in industries that detest the CGA due to it making them responsible for gear they sell.

All motor vehicles sold by a dealer are covered by the CGA, new or used, and must have a life expectancy in line with the amount paid. It is effectively a warranty, one that is enforced by the courts and the retailers almost always lose.Most settle before court to avoid the inevitable. The manufacturers warranty is of zero importance in NZ.

Bikes in good nick, paper trail to prove its been looked after, Dealer has to cover the goods, End of story.

Richi
20th November 2008, 19:58
By over-revvin u mean valve bouncing it?? They have limiters dont they? surely if they cant handle revving up past um de dum revs then they would lower the limiter on them and make it a "performance mod" to change it?

What about that ad on tv with the hyundai engine that revved at 8000 rpm for like 200+ hours!!

btw sux bout the 17000 kms thats low! Its only just been worn in!!

Dave-
20th November 2008, 20:35
I looked up htre Consumer Gurantees Act under "Fair Use", i'm sure that 17,000k on a new bike before it explodes isn't considered "fair". Only recourse I have is through the Disputes trubunal, in which it'll be my word against theirs as to how I was riding it.

bang on.

http://gpacts.knowledge-basket.co.nz/gpacts/public/text/1993/an/091.html

sections 5 through to 12

print it out, grab a highlighter, there'll be a passage that says something about a reasonable person would expect a reasonable amount of use out of it.

17,000kms in 13 months is not a reasonable amount of time.

you did feed it oil right? check your sales agreement under "fuel type" the dealer has to specify 91, 95, 98 etc but usually they'll put "petrol" cause they're lazy, if this is the case and they try telling you you fed it the wrong fuel you can turn around and say "i fed it petrol as it says here".

see if you can get recipts from where you purchased your oil.

Gubb, call your insurance company right now and find out who in the area they use for mechanical faults, even call a few other insurance companys, a report written on the failure is worth heaps, if you were down here I could put you onto a wizard of a man who hardness tests the piston and cyclinder and this and that, you will want a registered insurance mechanic, its no good showing up in court and saying "well my friend says that the engine let go cause..." even an award winning 2 stroke engine tuner is not acceptable.

make sure all correspondence with the dealer from now on is via e-mail or fax, if you can record conversations then that'll work too as they may fuck up and say the wrong thing, see if you can get them to agree that the fault is more than minor it obviously is but ask them "the fault is pretty major isn't it?" they'll say "fuck yeah, it's a huge fault"

I know what I'm talking about

cs363
20th November 2008, 20:35
By over-revvin u mean valve bouncing it?? They have limiters dont they? surely if they cant handle revving up past um de dum revs then they would lower the limiter on them and make it a "performance mod" to change it?

What about that ad on tv with the hyundai engine that revved at 8000 rpm for like 200+ hours!!

btw sux bout the 17000 kms thats low! Its only just been worn in!!

I was just generalising - it doesn't matter the specifics of the alleged 'abuse' but there is a gray area if there is not a clear paper trail for routine servicing and genuine parts fitted etc that point to a well maintained bike, as Headbanger pointed out.
It's black and white if for instance there is a known or proven fault that caused the issue but if an element of doubt exists in regard to servicing, maintenance or use of the bike then it may not go the consumers way.
In short I'm not saying that Gubb doesn't stand a chance of getting some recompense, quite the reverse - I'm just suggesting that he has all his ducks in a row and a full command of the facts before heading into a small claims court to make sure he stands his very best chance of success.
I personally, like tri boy think he may not do so well as I have heard of similar cases that were unsuccesful, but I certainly wouldn't suggest that he shouldn't at least try. A big factor in many cases not succeeding is a lack of preparation.
I still wish him all the best with it as having your engine explode sucks in anyone's book.

cs363
20th November 2008, 20:37
bang on.

http://gpacts.knowledge-basket.co.nz/gpacts/public/text/1993/an/091.html

sections 5 through to 12

print it out, grab a highlighter, there'll be a passage that says something about a reasonable person would expect a reasonable amount of use out of it.

17,000kms in 13 months is not a reasonable amount of time.

you did feed it oil right? check your sales agreement under "fuel type" the dealer has to specify 91, 95, 98 etc but usually they'll put "petrol" cause they're lazy, if this is the case and they try telling you you fed it the wrong fuel you can turn around and say "i fed it petrol as it says here".

see if you can get recipts from where you purchased your oil.

Gubb, call your insurance company right now and find out who in the area they use for mechanical faults, even call a few other insurance companys, a report written on the failure is worth heaps, if you were down here I could put you onto a wizard of a man who hardness tests the piston and cyclinder and this and that.

make sure all correspondence with the dealer from now on is via e-mail or fax, if you can record conversations then that'll work too.

I know what I'm talking about

Yes, all good advice - agree 100%

CB ARGH
20th November 2008, 22:13
Shit happens dude, that's the sad fact of life.

I'm behind you the whole way though (not in a gay way eh), the bike should last a lot more than 17,000km, that is, if you have regularly serviced the bike and all the yibber yabber.

Thoughts your way man. :weep:

The Lone Rider
20th November 2008, 22:31
Contact Trucker (he's in my friends list).

We met a guy at the Nelson rally month or so ago who gave Trucker a website that you could order any Hyosung parts and anything for half price of what it will cost you here inclusive of shipping.

Apparently it's also filled with mods for the hyosungs such has how to fix suzuki rear suspension to it etc...

Brilliant bikes until the engine explodes.

Long story short:

About a month back, I headed out to do the Coro Loop with Toto, Musicman, Scracha & kevfromcoro. Just before the Miranda flats I had a horrible rattling noise coming from the engine. It sounded like there was something loose inside the cylinder.

Pulled over straight away. Didn't want to try my luck. Bike was stuffed. Waited in Thames for about 4 hours for the Missus to bring a Trailer and pick me up, dropped it into Spectrum and asked them to have a look-see.

The front Piston had blown, taking the Conrod and Crankshaft with it. I have owned the bike for 13 months, and done a touch over 17,000kms. The Warranty period is for 12 months and 10,000kms.

Hyosung NZ have also just announced that they will be offering a 2 year, 20,000km warranty for the 2008 models, which are identical to the 2007 models (mine) bar different colour fairings. Surely if the engines are identical, and they are willing to stand beside the '08 ones, then they'll cover mine too? With this in mind, Spectrum submitted a claim to see if they would cover it.

Nope. "It's not under Warranty, we don't have to". Technically yes, they are right, but they'll cover the same bike if it's a different colour? That's bullshit. Their reasoning behind it was the only possible way for this to happen, is to be redlining the bike excessively, causing the damage.

Anyone that has ridden with me will know that this is not the case. I ride like a Nana, and 95% of it's K's were dur to communtering.

It's gonna cost me $1800 for a second hand engine to be installed.

Cock. Maybe the 'haters' have a grain of truth to them.

cs363
21st November 2008, 05:58
^^^^ This one? http://www.richardhyosunggvgt.com/

Dave-
30th November 2008, 20:52
Gubb, hows the hyobaggeh going? what's the latest?

dipshit
30th November 2008, 21:16
Gubb, hows the hyobaggeh going? what's the latest?

It looks like he went and brought himself a new Hyosung I'm guessing..???
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=87178

Don't know. He seems awfully excited about something.

Gubb
30th November 2008, 21:46
Still waiting to hear back about the Hyosung from HNZ.

And no. One bad bike-blowing up experience is bad enough.

So I bought something a little more reliable. And sensible.

A Triumph.:shit:

Rev DJ
1st December 2008, 11:38
Good on ya Gubb!! Nice...

BTW - why would a co like Hyosung increase their warranty if they thought that the bikes couldnt handle it - commercial suicide? It is also being recognised that the Hyo bikes can go beyond the normal service internval - many dealers/meachnaics are now saying 5k and 10k service intervals are fine?? Could be a hinderance or a help for a CGA claim??

DJ

CRF119
1st December 2008, 16:27
All i can say is why didnt you stick with a knowen brand, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha............

I ride a 250GSF speedo showing 44,000km bike shop rekons its done twice that as it was a import, My brother rode it like he stole it every where and it gets a hard time from me because im used to a CRF450mx bike and it still runs sweet and im talking 19,000rpm redline here dont those things only rev to like 12,000 or sumthing.

Thats my 2 cents, hope it all works out for ya.

Buy a shitter finnish your learners and get a R1 or R6 you wont be dissapointed :woohoo:

raftn
1st December 2008, 20:49
All i can say is why didnt you stick with a knowen brand, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha............

I ride a 250GSF speedo showing 44,000km bike shop rekons its done twice that as it was a import, My brother rode it like he stole it every where and it gets a hard time from me because im used to a CRF450mx bike and it still runs sweet and im talking 19,000rpm redline here dont those things only rev to like 12,000 or sumthing.

Thats my 2 cents, hope it all works out for ya.

Buy a shitter finnish your learners and get a R1 or R6 you wont be dissapointed :woohoo:

Not everyone wants to follow the crowd.........

CRF119
2nd December 2008, 08:46
Not everyone wants to follow the crowd.........

Some times the crowd is right, but each to their own